“Excellent Service”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
cleveland, ohio
“Excellent Service”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

My husband and I went to Secrets Royal Beach for a get a way in August. .

Service: Service here was the best at any place I've stayed at for an all inclusive. Everyone really goes out of their way. This is the one area that I have no complaints about. The Dominican people are very hard workers and fun! Juan Manuel was Awesome!

Food: I can't believe some of the reviews about not liking the food here! The food was excellent. The Breakfast buffet was great! They had anything you could imagine. The beach grill was very good, Oceana- excellent- you must try the appetizer shrimp cheviche! Our favorites were Oceana, Spice ( now side) and the French restaurant ( Now side). The Romantic dinner on the beach was worth it. The food was ok, dessert was excellent but it was so nice being on the beach hearing the waves at sunset, very romantic! The mariachi band was so nice and they really made the dinner, I just wish I had money with us to tip them!

Grounds- Beautiful

Lazy River- Very nice and relaxing.

The Activity Staff- They were great!! No complaints here.

Rooms: The rooms were very clean and really nice! Maid service was also great.
CONS:
Pools: The pool area itself was smaller than I'm used to compared to other resorts so this was a disappointment for me.

Drinks: I was really disappointed in the tropical/ frozen drinks. I heard other people complain about this too. We tried almost all and were not wowed by any.

Music: The music that was played at the pool and lazy river 99% of the time was BAD! I complained about it, many people that we talked to said the same thing. When you go on vacation to the tropics you're expecting or'd like to hear caribbean music, reggae, etc. They played the same music over and over- like music from the titanic etc. This is a cheap and easy fix for Secrets and I HIGHLY suggest someone fixing this.

Beach- I know it's not the fault of anyone and it's nature but the time I was there the seaweed was really bad. Yes they tried to clean it up but it still was there.

Entertainment- This to me was so so. I'm not a stay up late person but the bands we did hear were ok. We did not attend any shows so I don't know how those were.

Sales- This is another area where I was not happy. Most people that go on vacation go on vacation to relax and not be bothered. The hotel should not have people hounding you over this vacation club, VERY ANNOYING! They should have pamphlets/ Brochures in the rooms and leave it at that. If someone wants to be part of a vacation club trust me they will ask.

Wine- This is a another Must fix for the resort- The house wine on the secrets side is TERRIBLE you have to pay for a bottle in order to get a good glass. Surprisingly the house wine on Now side was good. This baffles me since we were at the adults only and more expensive side. Again I heard others complain and this and it shouldn't be too hard for them to change but would make a world of difference with customers and reviews!

Overall I'd consider recommending this resort- I would MOST definitely recommend it if they made those changes I've talked about. I gave this resort a very good because most of my complaints I believe are so easy to fix and the service, food and rooms here were GREAT!

2 Thank sunflower418

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,417)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
bratislava
Reviewed September 8, 2012

This holiday is the best we have ever been. The amazing weather, amazing staff, amazing meals, amazing trips especially swimming with the doplhines. All the employees of this resort are very nice. The entertainment team deserves special attention. They all are very kind, very friendly, their activities are helping to spend your holiday actively with a lot of fun. Names of the team members are: Akon, Mr. Mickey Mouse, Speedy Gonzales, Winnie and Cinthia. If you come to this little part of the world´s paradise, do not forget to attend to the entertaining actvities and you will have an opportinity to get nice prizes at the auctions which are being held three times a week. My husband and I wish you lovely stay in paradise.

Room Tip: Room with the garden view is quieter then a room with the pool view.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We were at SRB from September 1-5th. First I want to say that if I were rating the staff solely I would rate the property 5 stars because they are amazing!! I echo the sentiments of most of the reviews that I have read. The entertainment staff is great, Speedy, Akon, and Mickey Mouse in particular. Pretty much the entire wait staff was good especially our beach oasis butlers Juan Manuel and Alexis, both were great.

The property is pretty and well maintained and the room is also nice and housekeeping does a good job keeping it clean. I did encounter a problem with the moldy smelling linens. They looked really clean just smelled moldy, I actually don't think it was so much the linens but the actual pillows themselves. Either way, it was off putting. We did have an issue with not having hot water two days in a row but both times we called and they were at the door within minutes. We still had to wait until the next morning for hot water but they were nice and very responsive so it was okay.

The food is just okay. I agree with those that say the best food came from the beach grill. The food at the restaurants was really not very good, pretty bland, in my opinion, but the grill food was tasty. Unfortunately there is just so much grill food you can and should eat. I gained like 4 pounds in 5 days surviving on it. :)

The main pool is pretty small but the lazy river is huge so there is no shortage of pools to wade up and down in. The beach is really nice. Depending on the day and the rain the seagrass can be a little overwhelming but the hotel does a good job of trying to clean the sand, there's nothing they can do about the seagrass in the water. If you like the beach and can afford to do so, spend the extra money and rent the beach oasis (beach bed). We did for two days and loved it!! Total relaxation and the butlers were awesome. We also had a couple's massage and it was fantastic. The spa is like heaven! The two masseuses Hanoy and Yesika were wonderful. Totally worth the money.

One of our two biggest issues was the hard sell from the Unlimited Vacation Club immediately upon entering the property. The guy just would not give up. We went to Secrets Maroma Beach last summer and were approached, said no thank you, and within a few minutes were in our room. Not here!! It was to the point that I was starting to feel super annoyed and getting ready to just get up and walk away, he just would not take no for an answer but we somehow broke free after about 45 minutes. Our other big issue was the hotel being billed as an adult only hotel. While there are technically not children allowed on the Secrets side, these two properties Secrets and Now Larimar are really more like one and the Secrets side is more like the adult only section. You had to go to the Now side for things like the photographer studio, the gift shop, to confirm your transfers, the majority of the excursions, etc...,. I chose to list the things I did because you can very well choose to skip their restaurants and just stick with the Secrets' ones but basically the other things as well as the majority of the nightly entertainment is at Now. Basically even if you choose to skip, all of the Now restaurants, and entrainment, which we did, you can still very well end up over there as we did for our anniversary photo shoot, and to confirm our transfers, gift shop, etc..., because we didn't have a choice of location. The point of us choosing an adult only property was not to encounter children but we most definitely did. Don't get me wrong, we love children, we have a 3 and 4 yr old that we adore and left a for four nights and really just didn't want visual reminders of them. I read plenty of reviews prior to booking that said the Now had more entertainment and restaurants but I don't recall seeing any that said they even had the gift shop and the other things I mentioned. Hopefully this review helps someone that is deciding between this resort and another one of the true adult only resorts in the area such as Excellence or the Iberostar Grand. There are actually not very many to choose from in Punta Cana. I probably should have gone with my Travel Agent's recommendation but I am of fan of the Secret's property's. This is a lovely property, but it just wasn't was I thought it was going to be.

Room Tip: Swim-out at this resort is not worth it. We are definitely swim-out people but with the lazy river s...
7 Thank ned7773
Lorton, Virginia
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We just returned from our 25th anniversary trip/vacation at the all-inclusive Secrets Royal Beach in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. Wow! It was adults only and we enjoyed meeting so many of the Honeymoon couples. We had a swim up suite, wonderful staff, excellent food, a beautiful beach/ocean/pool and nothing but a warm, entertaining staff. Every day there was a newsletter left for us outlining the activities of the day, and the evening. Never a dull moment. We especially loved and hung out with the Secrets Entertainment Team of Isaisis, Akon, Speedy, Micky, Cinthia and Winnie! What beautiful people they are and what excellente service they gave! They have a variety of exercise and dance classes that were amazing. In addition, we ate at all the restaurants there and at NOW, and the only disappointing one was Mercure (French) which had sub par food and a less than friendly waiter. Our favorite was the La Riviera, where the managers and staff always have a smile (especially our friend Jensen!) I also have the commend the lovely ladies Alba and Santa, who walk the beach all day long checking people and drinks. We took a parasailing trip through SeaPro and other than the fact that the boat driver hit a bad wind (or lack of) and dropped us under the ocean water, it was great!! We also had a couples massage at the spa - very reasonable price - and loved the diligent professional work of Elisabeth and Margarita, who took all of our aching muscles and relaxed them. From the moment we arrived and were welcomed by our friend, Andy, we knew were going to have an amazing, romantic vacation that almost topped our honeymoom 25 years ago. Oh yes, and we can't forget the daily turn down of the bed, complete with towel decorations in the form of a bird, or hear, and rose petals. And champagne and breakfast in bed, as part of the package. We would definitely return to Punta Cana and to the Secrets Royal Beach Hotel and strongly recommend it whether you are just married and looking for a quiet couples resort, or you are celebrating 25 years! Excellente!

Room Tip: Get the junior swim up suite, where you can go right out your door to the lazy river style pool
1 Thank Melissa J
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Entertainment team Speedy, Cinthia, Winnie, Akon, Micky Mouse, Isaias, and Bambino made this truly an experience not to be forgotten! From Spanish lessons, to iron man, ping pong, darts, boccie ball tournaments to the auctions...we had a blast. Everyone is friendy and extremely welcoming. This is a glowing recommendation for the entertainment team and five stars for anyone considering staying at Secrets Royal Beach Resort.

Chicopee, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We just came back from our honeymoon in the Dominican at Secrets Royal Beach in Punta Cana! We had an excellent time!! Our room was clean and beautiful with nice views of the ocean, pool and property. There were plenty of activities on the resort thanks to the awesome entertainments staff of Speedy, Akon, Mickey Mouse, Isaia, Winnie and Cynthia, you guys rock!! They go all day and keep the guests very active!! We liked all of the restaurant choices on both properties, Secrets and Larimar now, except for one, the Bluewater grill...that is the only one we wouldn't recommend. The staff at all of the restaurants and bars were wonderful!! Our favorite bartender Martinez and waitresses Alba and Santa were amazing!! If you go there a must do is dinner on the beach!! It was our favorite part of our trip...it was the most relaxing dinner we have ever had, under the moon with the waves rippling a few feet from your table, seven courses and unmatched service!! We did encounter a slip up with one thing...after our romantic dinner on the beach we were supposed to return to our room to find a rose petal bath in our jacuzzi on the balcony, to our dismay our jacuzzi was empty. We notified the front desk and we re-scheduled it for our last night. On our last night we rushed from dinner to get to our jacuzzi and once again found our jacuzzi empty! We were not happy...we called concierge who offered to immediately send someone to our room and there was a knock on our door within a minute to complete our rose petal bath...the only other thing I would caution against is booking excursions from people on the beach...use the hotels excursion company called Amstar, we booked a trip to Saona island thru a company called Seapro and were dissatisfied. We had heard rave reviews about the island and the trip...our trip was less than satisfactory, it was a 2 hr bus ride thru the streets (when it was only about 40 min away) and then a catamaran trip (over crowded) that took another hour and a half almost, then a speedboat to the island. The part of the island they took us to was almost like a camp ground with lots of vendors bugging you to buy their things and you felt like you were captive to them...they were relentless...the ocean's edge had lots of rocks to maneuver thru in order to go into the ocean....after a short time there it was back on the speedboad to the "natural pool", this was the best part of the trip to Saouna...it was a shallow part of the beautiful ocean with HUGE starfish in it and very clean!!!
All in all we really liked Secrets and loved the staff and we met many great guests there on our stay!! I would definitely recommend going there!

Gina and Keith

Room Tip: Higher floors are cooler...ocean view is very good, but it is still in the distance a bit.
1 Thank Gina F
Philadelphia
Reviewed September 5, 2012

This was our second All-Inclusive Vacation and we were a little disappointed. The Resort itself was gorgeous rooms were nice and very upscale and everything was VERY CLEAN!!!. 24 hr room service, mini fridge service, and personal Jacuzzi. The pool was great and the beach was very nice. The Spa was amazing, it may be the best spa service and atmosphere ive ever experienced.

The food was not good, we were disappointed in pretty much everything ate, EXCEPT the Grills on the beach the food there was great but how much BBQ can you eat for 7 days. There was NO entertainment or Nightlife, they had a guy with a guitar or Sax every night, this was very disappointing compared to what we have seen at our previous All Inclusive. We also felt the staff EXPECTED tips here and were very persistent for them, we tip anyway but dont like feeling hustled to so, and they also very slow and kind of lazy.

We also didnt like that you had to go over to the Now Larimar side for pretty much anything to do, restaurants, Casino, a little more entertainment. This side is more for families and Secrets is Adults only so you pay $ to have a relaxing time with adults only and then you end up spending most of your time over on the family side just to find SOMETHING to do.

There are also people constantly trying to sell you stuff whether its at the flea market or from the Vacation Club, its very annoying bc your there to relax and you are always trying to avoid people.

The other thing is that Men have to have a collared shirt and dress pants for every restaurant beside the buffet. Its an island and HOT and now you have to pack long pants and dressy clothes for EVERY night, we really didnt like that either.

All in all it wasnt a horrible time but i dont think we would return to Punta cana

7 Thank Pheeney