“Best Vacation Ever! (Thank you Hubby)”

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #6 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Just got back from Secrets Punta Cana after a weeks stay (June 24-29). We went for vacation and to celebrate my 30th Birthday and my Best Friends husbands 34th Birthday. It was truly the best birthday I've eva had!!!

This is a amazing resort and if you want to go somewhere to relax and be waited on this is the place to go! Beautiful property, super nice staff and the best view of the beach! I am going to go through and tell you all the great things we loved about Secrets Punta Cana otherwise known as "HOME!"

Booking:
1. Do not pay extra for the ocean view property. This was our only disappointment. It is only a partial ocean view and its not worth the extra $$. The real ocean view rooms are the presendential suites.

2. Buy your transfers when booking. They make this process pretty simple once you arrive.

Packing:
1. Take probiotics a week or so before you go and all while you are at the Resort. The food is good but your system won't be used to it. Trust me.

2. Pack pepto...Trust me (just in case)

Arriving at Punta Cana Airport:
1. Its HOT and Humid so be prepared!

2. Let the bag guys assist you with your bags but don't let them get out of your site. They move pretty fast but are very helpful.

Arriving at Secrets:
1. They welcome you with open arms and drinks and cool towels to clean your face and hands. DO NOT LISTEN TO THE "HOTEL" CONCIERAGE WITH UNLIMITED VACATIONS UNLESS YOU WANT TO SIT THROUGH A 2 HOUR PRESENTATION ON THE FOLLOWING DAY. THE COUPONS ARE SO-SO BUT ONLY WORTH IT IF YOU ARE GOING TO THE SPA. IF I COULD DO IT AGAIN I WOULD HAVE SAID "NO,NO,NO,NO AND NO!" THEY ARE PRETTY DECEIVING TOO AND GOOD AT THEIR JOBS BECAUSE THEY TAKE YOU OVER TO THE BAR AND GET YOU A PREMIUM DRINK TO GET YOU STARTED ON YOUR VACATION.

Drinks:
**SIMPLY GREAT! THEY USE PREMIUM BRAND LIQUOR AND THEY POUR UNTIL YOU TELL THEM TO STOP. Try the Mamajuana, Ciaprihiana, Merengue or a simple Rum and Coke and you won't be disappointed:) Tequila Sunrise was also a hit! GIVE THE HARD WORKING PEOPLE A TIP! BEST BARTENDERS: SANTA (on the beach), JUAN(at Rendezvous)

Rooms:
-Overall the rooms are really nice. The views are beautiful.
-Bathrooms are a good size and the shower is sooo good. The water pressure and temperature is really awesome and suprising for a property of this size.
-Lighting in room is dim so be prepared but its not dark! You can open the blinds during the day and see pretty well.
-TV - most channels are in Spanish but why are you in the room watching TV anyway! Ha Ha. Be ware of channel 93...bowchickybowwowwow!! Volume did not work so commercials were excessively loud.
-Our iron did not work and we had to replace but not a huge deal.
-Mini bar was stocked daily except for the Rum:) but you should'nt run out of that.
-Beds slept very well and overall room was quiet. Couldn't hear neighbors (and I hope they couldn't hear us:)

Excursions:
1.**If you book with Expedia or Cheaptickets (BlueTravel) just see your representative and don't go through Amstar or the hotel. They have better deals than the hotel.

2. We did the "Boogie" dune buggie tour. It was so-so. The best part was the beach that they take you to. It was beautiful and secluded but you are only there for 15 minutes so overall its not worth it. You get very dirty and you have to drive in a straight line. Also the process is pretty unorganized and you get bombarded by children begging for money. Usually they are selling items and we gave them money because we wanted to but not for the items.

3. Truthfully, the hotel has plenty to do. Bowling, a disco, a casino (I won like $120 my first night at the roulette table:), spa (I'll talk more about this amazing little secret later), tons of eating and even shopping.

Food:
Best: Hands Down-- Seaside Grille. Best View of the property while you dine on fillet mignon, salmon, shrimp and some of the best Carrot Cake you've ever tasted.

Next Best: Grille on the Beach. Joel knows how to grille some meat and the fries were to die for. Very Very good place for lunch. We could've eaten it everyday.

Next : Spice. Decent Japanese.

Worst: Probably Mercure. I loved the atmosphere and the food was ok to me however the 3 other patrons with me did not enjoy it. It was super small portions and very saucy. If you go, get the mushrooms.

La Riviera was ok if you want a variety buffet.

Best Breakfast: Room Service Omelet! Yummy!

Worst Lunch: Room Service Lunch:( Pizza was nasty and burgers were not cooked

BEACH:
-Beautiful. Not packed at all. Wait staff is excellent. SHOUT OUT TO SANTA! WE LOVE YOU! Pick up your towels before the towel bar closes at 5.
-Some people like to be lay naked but just don't look if you don't want to see

Pool:
-Awesome. Can't say much more. The pictures on the website are true!!!
-Lazy river is really nice. Has a little current which makes for lots of fun.

SPA:
-OK THIS IS PARADISE. TRULY. The spa has 3 different pools. Iced cold to open your pores (do for it for like 20 secs.. crazy), hot and normal. Water falls in pools are massaging. They have snacks and drinks to keep you hydrated and the massage therapist are sooo good. I have had several massages and the swedish and refloxolgy here were absolutely the best I have ever experienced. Shout out to Margharita *(ask for her) or Rafeala and Isidro at the bar! Kenia made booking super easy. Thanks Kenia!

Other Tips:
-if you are going for honeymoon, birthday or anniversary go to the concierge desk and get the banner, flowers and cake that they will give you for free. They will decorate your room and your mate will LOVE it. Super roman-tic.

-chics who work at the shops are straight up rude. Do not be offended they are rude to everyone. They will follow you around the shops like you are trying to steal something.

-NOW Larimar is the property next door that is NOT adult-only and the security at Secrets makes sure they don't come to the Secrets property but you are free to go there anytime.

-Bell guys are really nice. Shout out to Miguel. They are really helpful and give you great tips on the property.

Ok I have to shout out all of the BEST Secrets Staff:
-Spa - Kenia, Margharita, Rafaela and Isidro
-Bar - Rendezvous (Juan) and Beach (Santa)
-Bell Service - Miguel
-Unlimited Vacations - Jorge (even though we were suckered in you did a good job at keeping us entertained)
-Beach Grille - Joel

Thanks so much to all of the staff for the best vacation ever! We went as two couples but honestly this felt like a second honeymoon. Very romantic, relaxing and FUN!

Go--you won't regret it. I cried when it was time to leave:( Miss you Secrets!!!

Room Tip: Do not pay additional for an ocean front room!! it is only Partial Ocean view and is not worth the a...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
14  Thank Tamela S
There are newer reviews for Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana

Reviewed July 2, 2012

A friend of mine surprised me with a trip to DR. I travel a lot but this vacation is up their as one of the best. From we arrived at the airport we were serviced. Arrived at the hotel and was greeted with a cocktail. Alejandro was excellent in service from begining to the end. The lobby was beautiful and the rooms were perfectly decorated. The staff in the restaurant,Chef Ramon and the kitchen who custom made our authentic DR meals. Thanks to Mery,Jackie(Happy.Happy)Juan Carlos,Carmen Prima,Santos,Raul,and Cirilo who treated us like royalty every time we entered the restaurant. Finally the entertainment group at the pool and club were incredible,Speedy,winnie.cinthia akon,mickey mouse isaias,jackie and PITBUL ,Thanks all!!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are at a good location
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank felstev07
Reviewed July 1, 2012

This was my first trip to an all inclusive. There were so many islands and resorts to choose from in the Carribbean, that we went with a local travel agent in our area and completely relied on her to help us decide. Never again...here's the good and the bad...

BAD:
Transfer from airport: We were apparently set up with some service to take us from the airport to the hotel. We had no idea - our travel agent said we'd see a sign for SECRETS and have no problem. Not so much - no said sign...we were completely mobbed by drivers wanting us to pay to take us to the hotel. I was so confused, few were speaking English, people were trying to grab our bags. Yikes. Fortunately, there were some nice individuals in the airport who helped us figure out who we needed to talk to and we got there.
Greeting at the hotel: Very nice at check in, however, not even 10 minutes into being at the lobby, we were told that we had to attend a lunch/meeting with someone from the resort the next day or we would not be able to set up to leave at the end of our trip. They were trying to sell us a timeshare but refused to admit that when we asked "is this a timeshare". I don't remember what he called it, but he refused to use the word timeshare, but that's exactly what it was. I just wanted to see our room and start my first ever vacation. Nope, 20 minutes later, my husband finally had to get rude and ignore the guilt tripping about making this meeting tomorrow, and tell him straight up "no" and "stop bugging us or we're going to complain to someone". That was awkward, because this same guy was the one that had to walk us to our room w our luggage. And no, I was not spending my first ever day on an island in some meeting where they try to get me to spend a fortune.
ROOMS: Ok, so I have a bit of OCD, but white stains on the comforters, tables and sofa's everywhere in the room? GROSS! I hope it was bleach - I don't know. I wasn't setting my stuff on it. And twin beds? I spent $3000 on the vacation I've waited how long for and we are told to "push the beds together"? I wanted to cry or scream. We had specifically booked a room w a queen bed and were told that sometimes they just plain don't have enough. We asked if we could switch rooms and they showed us a room on their sister property which had mold in it. So, we finally ended up paying extra to upgrade to the Ocean Front Suite which was a fortune for 3 out of our 5 nites. That room was AMAZING (but a fortune).
Nightlife: Almost none. There was a club at the sister property, but my husband and I are so not into clubs. We ended up hanging out at the sports bar everynite and luckily befriended a group from Russia, most of whom knew no English and played cards with them. There was a casino but my credit card wouldn't work for some reason (probably a good thing). There was supposed to be a movie on the beach - that never happened. We saw one show which was cool and each nite they had a show with all the same people performing and it wasn't that great. Everything else closed down so early, we were quite bored and disappointed. I realize you can't please everyone, but more options for evening entertainment would have been nice. ALso, they tell you not to walk on the beach at night because it's not guarded at nite and therefore it's not safe. What a bummer that was!
Booking Excursions: Our travel agent told us to just find the Apple representative, so we did. Apparently my travel agent is an idiot because we were set up to use some other service and boy did she ream us out and make us feel like crap bc we had booked 1 excursion through the Apple guy. Was that necessary?
Daily activities at the pool: I never once saw them do anything at the pool other than 5 women doing aerobics in the pool. Never saw beach or pool volleyball which disappointed me.

GOOD:
The resort was beautiful and the extrerior clean. Everyone greeted you with an "hola". The LAZY river was our favorite part! You could just grab a float and kick around and talk with other couples or just get a little bit of a workout without feeling silly. There was one swim up bar which we spent some time at and was nice. The beach was really nice and really clean. There were absolutely no problems with the beach and the water was the perfect temperature to just relax in or to fit in an energizing swim. There are guards at the beach but we actually made friends with them because they were there everyday. We took them water bottles out of our room and they were appreciative.

Rooms: the Ocean FRONT suite was awesome. It was clean, no stains that time. All rooms have jaccuzzi's outside which is cool, the suite also had one inside.

Daily Activities: Catamaran and windsurfing are free and available. We did the catamaran twice and it was fun learning how to do it and it was just enjoyable being out in the ocean for awhile by ourselves.

Restaurants: We had awesome service at many of the restaurants and the food was very good! I was not disappointed. Some of the servers make a point of trying to make your stay special and it made so much of a difference.

Excursions; We snorkeled but it was expensive, I would have preferred to go somewhere that you can snorkel from the resort or where it's included with the resort. If you don't want to just sit on the beach or by the pool, you have to pay to do other activities. We are very active people, so I would have liked to have known how much more money we were gonna put out ahead of time. Maybe that's just because I was a beginner at all this.

Tips: Suntan lotion costs an arm and a leg, so take plenty!!! Same w disposable/waterproof cameras.
Not sure what the policy was on tipping, but we kept finding the need to tip constantly, so take plenty of 1's.
BOOK THROUGH APPLE!!! All the couples that said they booked with Apple had queen beds in their rooms and had much better guest service. They were completely happy. Other couples who had not booked with apple, seemed to also find this conclusion.

If you want a vacation to just relax and don't need much for entertainment then Punta Cana is right for you. For more active people, like ourselves, there are better places to travel in my opinion.
Overall, I just wouldn't have wanted to spend the amount of money we did on Secrets, it wasn't worth it.

Room Tip: Book through Apple if you don't want twin beds
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Megan P
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We did this trip as a selloff and got a very good rate.
We had previously stayed at Secrets Excellence Punta Cana(now Excellence Punta Cana, Secrets Capri and Dreams Puerto Vallarta.(Also Excellence Playa Mujeres).
We also had "I Prefer" cards, which should have entitled us to an upgrade, late checkout etc.
After a wonderful flight from Toronto on Air Transat Club Class, we landed and could not find our Air Transat rep. I have travelled a lot and am a former travel agent. I have never had this experience before. Because this young woman stayed at the bus, that left 240 passengers wandering around the airport searching for our transportation.
An hour and a half later, we arrived at our hotel. This should have taken 20 minutes.
Our check-in was very rocky as the desk clerk did not recognize our "I Prefer" card, nor give us a room ,as requested on the third floor.
We were taken to a room on the second floor, which had a very musty odour. As the bellboy opened the patio door, he broke the latch. He called maintenance to come and fix it and then left with the latch.
By this point we demanded(nicely) a room on the third floor and got it.
The pool view rooms from this floor give you a partial ocean view and are nicer.
After our rocky arrival, things improved dramatically.
This resort has one of the loveliest lazy river pools and a stunning beach which is unparalleled.
The quality of food varies greatly here. We . had three poor dinners on the Now Larimar side first and then quickly began patronizing the restaurants on the Secrets side.
The Seaside Grill is wonderful and has excellent steaks. On two nights the Riviera Buffet has a barbecue and does filet mignons.
We also had lobster tails there one night.
The fruits and vegetables are very fresh and the wait staff very kind.
The rooms here are not of the quality of other Secrets or Excellence resorts we have visited, but they are fine.
We would return here because of the gorgeous beach, lovely weather and basic "bang for your buck." The ambience here is very peaceful and is great for couples.

Room Tip: Swim up rooms attract smokers. Third floor rooms have the best views.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank katherineincanada
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I recently went on a girls trip to Secrets Royal Beach the week of June 16 and I cannot stop talking to people about it!

The resort itself is beautiful and well-kept – they really put a lot of effort into keeping the grounds and landscaping lush and clean. The rooms and washroom are modern, clean and spacious and the cleaning service is always on the go with their daily room-keeping and nightly turn-down service.

The two a la carte restaurants (Oceana and Seaside Grill) have amazing food (I recommend the Mahi Mahi from Oceana), as well as the buffet restaurant and Beach Grill. The service at every restaurant was above what I expected and someone was always there to make sure you had everything you needed. The restaurant servers - Juan Carlos, Oscar, Wilson, Edis - were always very polite and ensured that your meal was to your satisfaction, your drinks (whether alcoholic or non-alcoholic) were always full, and that you were taken care of.

I must say the best part of the trip were the people that worked there and their spirit - everyone always had a smile on their face and would be happy to help you with anything. The entertainment crew - Speedy, Micky, Akon, Winny and Cynthia - did an amazing job keeping everyone entertained and making us feel comfortable. From beach yoga to beach olympics to aquafit - everything they did kept us all entertained and laughing. The bartenders at the pool bar - Roinert, Willy, Arturo and Aneudy - were very quick, friendly and efficient; always smiling, singing and making everyone feel welcome. The servers - Patricia, Santa, Yolenny, Junior - were also very friendly and always there to make sure you were never empty handed.

I really could go on for hours about this resort - the cleanliness, the quality of service, the beautiful grounds; but it really was the people there that made this trip for me. I have been to other carribean resorts and have never met such friendly and warm people. Not only did they make it fun, but they were genuinely happy to have you there and make your time there the most memorable; and that they did! I would recommend this resort to anyone and will definitely be going back myself.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
14  Thank ShaleneRenee
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I was at Secrets Royal Beach starting this month and I can explain you what a beautifull experience I Had. The service was 1st class, the attention at the concierge and buttler department to all our needs, thanks to Jazmin and Alexis for that.

The premium service offer from Carlos at the pool bar, Emeregildo at the restaurant and the attention offered everyday from the housekeeping department was all an experience nice to see.

The only thing we could complain is that we didn't stay longer! Thank you all for a great service and a wonderfull hotel well keep.

See you soon Secrets Royal Beach

• Stayed: June 2012
5  Thank AshleyNunez
Reviewed June 23, 2012

My husband and I had the most amazing week at Secrets! We had absolutely beautiful and perfect weather every single day. We enjoyed all of the restaurants within the hotel and sister hotel, always great service and good food. We did have to remember that we were not in America and the proportion sizes are smaller. (probably what they should be;) If you need to eat fast, there is always a buffet option too. Tons of choices to choose from at the buffets!
We did the moon and stars massage and it was so unbelievably wonderful. After, you get a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries and other fruits. Fabulous.
There are tons of different excursions to do, make sure to go through the front desk to stay safe and that way they set everything up and then there is no worrying of getting ripped off.
We went horsebacking and had fun, but we were not prepared or dressed right for the trotting! Just FYI, it's no leisurely strole at sunset like they make it seem. Lol
Our favorite part of the trip had to be the fabulous times with the entertainment team!! All members were super amazing but we especially loved "playing" with MICKEY MOUSE, AKON, and WINNIE. We had a blast with dancing lessons, water aerobics, and our fave the pool activities/games!!
The entire waiting staff was/are AMAZING as well. I MISS ANGEL and mi amor YOLANIE!!!! ThEy were so sweet and also entertaining!

• Stayed: May 2012