“Some great things, and some not so great things”

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #8 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Los Angeles, California
“Some great things, and some not so great things”
Reviewed April 26, 2012

We were moved to the Secrets Royal Beach at the last minute due to the fire at the Majestic Colonial. After two days at SRB, we decided to move back to the Colonial, so this gave us a unique opportunity to compare the two resorts. You can also read my review of the Colonial.

We decided to take the SRB option offered to us by our travel agent. Upon arrival at the resort, we were given a cold towel and were checked in. The "friendly information providers" started to work on us for their "club information" or whatever, but having read many reviews on tripadvisor, we pretty much nixed that right away.

Since our room wasn't ready yet, we went to the SRB buffet and had lunch. We found the buffet to be pretty small, but with a good selection and very good food. The staff were particularly attentive and friendly (a marked contrast to the Colonial a few days later). They smiled, talked to you, we tried to speak some Spanish to them and we smiled as we gave each other language lessons!

Once our room was ready we found that it was very nice, although a bit modern in style. The key that only required holding up to the door was neat. The room was efficient and clean, and everything was in good repair. The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable (again, a contrast to the Colonial).

We found that the beach, as feared, had a LOT of sea grass. This isn't really the fault of the resort, and they do clean it up every morning. Still, we were used to the beach at the Majestic from a previous trip, and the water was pretty disappointing. We do go to a beach resort for the beach, and the water was darker, less turquoise, and more seaweedy than we like or have seen elsewhere in Punta Cana.

While in the areas of the Bahia/Majestic/Riu/Iberostar, you can walk the beach for miles past many resorts, when we walked to the left (NW) a couple of miles, there are a lot of local areas, dirty/unmaintained beach, and generally less nice areas relative to the other resort areas up the coast a few miles. Again, not the fault of SRB, but it still does detract from the experience. If had never been to the other areas of Punta Cana I probably would have thought this beach was pretty special - but we do know better, unfortunately. Also, there are relatively few palapas at SRB, even though the beach is quite deep and there should be plenty of room for more. I was up at 6:30 am to grab a palapa with the towel game, and even then about half of them were already taken! Contrast that with the Majestic Colonial, where not only is the beach much better, you can find open palapas much later in the morning.

The pool at the SRB was reallly nice. The Now Larimar property was also nice. We found the vegetation to be somewhat more sparse/less lush than other resorts, and the grass was half brown as if it is not watered enough.

We also found the loud music at the SRB pool to be offputting. We go to these resorts for some peace and quiet, and the music was loud and obnoxious at SRB as well as Now Larimar. i'm sure if you are an extrovert that likes to party, it would be quite good.

In short, go to Secrets Royal Beach for:

- the food and service
- the comfortable rooms, beds, and pillows
- the beach, if you haven't been elsewhere in Punta Cana

Don't go to SRB if:

- you don't like a loud pool scene
- you don't think a top 10 resort should be aggressively pushing timeshares when you check in
- you want the best beach in the area - this is definitely not the one

I'm giving 3 stars as the beach is not really the resort's fault, but the music and the limited palapas and the timeshare salespeople ARE their fault.

9 Thank SoCa1l26

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,467)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
New Jersey
Reviewed April 26, 2012

My friend and I stayed at this resort in April 2011 it was called NH Royal Beach then. I can say the resort overall was great. we had a good time went on the buggie tour and parasailing it was great.

the food was amazing the weather was great. the staff was also great. I would definitely recommend this resort.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank NicoleJones1976
Fleetwood
Reviewed April 26, 2012

This adult-only all-inclusive resort far exceeded my expectations. The room was impeccably clean, the service was beyond superior, and the setting is absolutely gorgeous. The food at both restaurants and the buffet was delicious and the beverages are all top shelf. No skimping on the alcohol here :) The entertainment crew on the beach and the pool bar were fantastic and made the vacation. Had the best facial I ever had at the Spa. The only negative was the fitness room is a little too small for a resort that size. And yes, you will be approached by an employee of Unlimited Luxury regarding time share....it is their job. Listen politely and decline and you will not be bothered again. You do not need to show up in the lobby to confirm your return shuttle to the airport. Just go down the day before departure and request to confirm the time you need to check out; absolutely no problem. Music every night in the courtyard was great. Overall it was one of the best vacations I ever had. I really cannot understand any negative reviews....it was wonderful.

Room Tip: We were 3rd floor ocean view junior suite and it was perfect!
1 Thank Cathy S
Wisconsin Rapids
Reviewed April 26, 2012

I had a very relaxing time the week I was there. I will have to say that this resort was the quietest resort I have ever been too. The staff was exceptional. Anywhere you were whether it was in the resturants, pool, or room service, were so friendly and helpful with whatever your heart desired. We had a swim up room which was so nice since you never had to rush to get a chair by the pool. If you were not up at dawn you would not get a chair by the pool. Since we pretty much lived by our swim up room I have to mention the excellent pool waiters, Junior, Angel, and Gladys. We had a fresh drink in our hands at all times. And their friendly smiles just made your day. There is never a better vacation for me then laying around and reading a good book. The only bad thing I experienced by the pool was the landscapers were working on the bushes and lawn as we were laying out and the debris in the pool was horrible the last few days we were there. Though they tried to fix the issue, it just wasn't cleaned up good enough to be able to walk the river without moving brush or grass away from you.

The rooms were absolutely gorgous and clean. I would come into my room and actually find my clothes folded neatly in place. There was always chocolates at night and fresh towels and if you happened to walk into your room when the maids were there, they were friendly and asked if you needed anything.

The food was alright, I have had better in different resorts. But the waiters were always there to ask if you need something, and your wine glass was never empty. Each nite we were greeted with a big smile from Mery who we found so sweet and engaging. Valintine and Carlo were exceptional waiters and made our dinners that more pleasant. I would not waste my time going over to the Now resturants, the food was not as good, the staff were lacking, and the walk just wasn't worth it.

The one thing I didn't like at the resort was the walkways, you were walking on a curved walkway and bridges and it seemed like you were walking twice as much as needed just to get to the entertainment or lobby. And as far as the entertainment, it was just alright. Nothing that you couldn't have missed and been upset about.

I was happy over all in the my vacation, I would recommend it to anyone who wanted a quiet relaxing vacation. As long as you wanted to just lay around and do nothing it is perfect. If you are a shopper, forget about it. Nothing in town to buy, and don't waste your time finding anything. Just buy at the gift shop which had very reasonable prices.

Room Tip: I recommend a swim up room, it is nice to have your own lounge chairs and there are not enough at th...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Mary5179
Brooklin, Canada
Reviewed April 24, 2012

This adults-only resort exceeded my expectations. I would go back in a heartbeat!

I have travelled to St.Lucia, Mayan Riviera and Cuba, and Punta Cana beaches have been the best so far. The sand is like powdered sugar with no shells. We did not spend as much time at the beach as I would have liked as we had a windy week.

The service was SUPERIOR, the BEST! Several waiters circling the pool from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. I had a second drink before I was done the first. Never had to make my way to the pool bar to get a drink, thanks to the two best waiters: Angel and Junior!

We had a swim-up room and it was worth every pennie. Not alot of loungers around the pool, so if you want one, get up early to reserve. The swim-up lots were a little muddy near the door since the sprinkler system goes off in the morning, but that would not deter me from booking one again.

The resort is small, quiet and EXTREMELY clean (room, pool, bathrooms, restaurants, beach). Staff was amazing!

There are 2 "a la carte" restaurants and one buffet, but you do have access to the Now Larimar Resort next door (connected at the lobby). The Now Larimar has 4 more "a la carte" restaurants and one buffet. Food was very good. We never had to wait at the Secrets resort. At the Now Larimar, they provided a pager and we usually waited approx. 45 minutes to an hour.

My only complaint was the musty smell in our room. It was quite strong and we had to leave the glass sliding door open during the day to air-out.

We are hoping to book the Secrets Maroma in Mexico next year!

Room Tip: For swim-up rooms, request building 5 as they had the longest sun exposure.
4 Thank Annickerz
Atlanta
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Resort was clean and nice. Our room was spacious and shower was great, but the lighting was horrible. There is no "ocean view" room, unless you count standing on tiptoes and peering through trees. I would only recommend getting a swim up pool room. The only way to get a seat near the pool is to make friends with a staff member, or have a "swim up" room. Staff was moderately attentive, but usually made you feel like they were doing you a favor. Food was mediocre. Stay away from all "reception" area staff - they are trying to sell vacation club memberships and do not take no for an answer. Do not go in April - the ocean and beach is FULL of seaweed.

Room Tip: Definitely - the "swim up" pool room is the only decent spot.
2 Thank Stacey B
oak lawn
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Can't say enough about the resort employees. They all went out of their way to make you feel comfortable, at home, and involoved in any activity that you chose to want to be involved in. Special mention to Michael and Speedy. These two guys were especially energetic, had a love of people and their country and their job. They were contagious in their job and made you want to get up and be involved in activites. I will never forget them.
The food was ok-plentiful but repetitious.
The only bad thing I can say is our room had a terrible musty oder and yoou could not change the settings on your room controls-they were at a constant setting.
The security staff were everywhere from one end of the property to the other and on the access road. Not sure if that was a good or bad thing.

Room Tip: We were along the access road right off the retsaurant area. Not sure if all rooms were musty.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family