“An HONEST Review!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
luvdafunkybts
“An HONEST Review!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at Secrets for ten days from 8/20/-8/30, 2011. We were originally booked for only 7 days, but Hurricane Irene had different plans for us. So I feel like we were able to see the hotel in many different aspects then a regular week in the Dominican.

Upon our arrival we were greeted with a fresh towel and glass of champagne. Check in was a breeze and the staff was very friendly (thanks Leonardo!) They informed us that we would not have a King Size bed but they could have one for us the following day. We would just need to return to the front desk by 2pm. Well, when you are having fun at the pool/beach the last thing you want to do is move all of your stuff. So we declined. He kept checking in with us throughout the week to see if we wanted to move, but we were fine with our room. Little did we know, that was our last day of sun for the next four days! So I'm really happy we didn't waste that time moving.

The room we stayed in was 4140.. a swim up room. It was a nice room. Nothing really to write home about. It did have that musty strange smell to it. I soon became used to it, so it wasn't an issue. The Jacuzzi was cool, but allowed no privacy. We did use it once. Steves, who works in the bottle department, came and drew us a bath. It looked very romantic.. bubbles, rose pedals and candles. We loved it. The only problem there was when you turn on the Jacuzzi.. it was an explosion of bubbles. They were everywhere. I couldn't even see my boyfriend. We spent most of the time trying to control this mountain of bubbles.. :) Fun none-the-less.

Because of Irene, we got to see how the resort handles emergency situations. They were great about keeping us informed on the storm and what to do. They would send out periodic letters to all of the rooms. So we never really felt in danger. During the actual storm, the Entertainment Team (SPEEDY, AKON, & CARI) did a great job keeping folks busy. You could tell that they don't have a lot of rain in the Dominican, because they were busting out things that hadn't been used in a while.. Ping Pong Table, Bingo etc. Everyone would congregate by the lobby most days of the rain just to socialize. It was fun, but of course sun would have been a whole lot nicer.

After two days of Irene, we were able to leave the resort again. We went on our first excursion and it was AMAZING!! (XTREME BUGGY! - Booked it online, NOT through Hotel) I totally fell in love with the DR! The people are super happy and live so simply. There was never a time that we said hello to someone and didn't get a HUGE smile and hello back.

The next day we were supposed to go on another excursion to see the city and culture surrounding the resort, but my boyfriend became ill right at the beginning of the tour, so we returned back to the resort. He did spend most of the week a little ill. At this point (vomitting) we decided he needed to stop eating the meat. After that, he was would good for the rest of the week. Now keep in mind, he hasn't traveled much. So he did have some problems digesting the food. I had some necessary "quick" trips to the bathroom as well, but never felt sick. The food was not bad at all. It just takes a little time to see what works for you. We ate at the buffet mostly. They had an amazing selection. Some days were better then others, but you could always find something. I have to say too, they are very creative with their pizza.. lol Corn Pizza, Hot Dog Pizza.. so cute :) I absolutely LOVED the staff at the buffet as well. They just made me so happy everyday. There were times where I was really bummed out about the rain.. the "cansineros" had a way of making me happy again.. Our favorites - Neuri, Erbin, Felix, Zamora, and Montequis. I was so sad to leave them and you could tell they were genuinely sad to see us go too.

So because of Irene we had to stay three days longer at Secrets. We were not able to return home as it hit our area of the US. These are the days where we got to see Secrets at it's best. There is so much to talk about so let me break it down...

The Beach : Yes, there is a lot of seaweed. It didn't bother us. It's the ocean! There is a BEAUTIFUL beach that you can visit called Macao beach. It was breathtaking. No seaweed & crystal clear water right along side of a mountain. So if you are looking for that, definitely take the trip. It's mind blowing. Secrets beach is VERY active.. Parasailing, Scorkceling, Party Boats, Dance Lessons, Yoga, Volleyball, Music.. There is waitstaff there to get you drinks. One day they had coconuts and another pineapples. the water was nice, but a little choppy due to all the boats. It was very stimulating as there was always something going on. I like to lay in the sun. My boyfriend likes to stay active. So it was a perfect combination for us. It was never an issue to find chairs to lay on or a cabana to lay under if that's what you want. Tons of palm trees to lay under as well.

The Pool - It was beautiful! It winds through the property. People call it a lazy river, but it doesn't have a strong current like you would find at a water park. You can just lay on your raft and it will take you all the way around, but very slowly. We didn't bring anything to float on. We didn't even need it. So many people have left their rafts there that we could always find something.

Swim Up Room - It was nice. The only problem is that after a hurricane, the ground became super muddy. So our feet would be COVERED in mud going from the room to the pool. I really think they need to add stepping stones from room to pool. We really didn't use it much due to the mud.

Pool Bar- Mixalenis and Wily were AMAZING!! Have them make you their fresh banana drink. It's really delicious. They took great care of us every time we were there. Super friendly and fun! I also enjoyed the Frozen Limonada con Vodka as well. It wasn't fresh, but very refreshing!! :)

Night Time - Every night their are shows held at the theater in NOW. (When people say is a short walk, they aren't kidding. It feels like it's the same resort, but it's not. People staying at Now cannot come to Secrets, but we had full access to Now.) We only attended one show.. White Party. It was cute. As a Professional Dancer in the US.. I think they need a professional choreographer to help them out a little. They have very talented dancers, they just need some more training and someone to help clean them up a bit so that they are more in sync. We spent most of our time at the Casino (whose staff isn't so friendly) and the nightclub.

The Entertainment Staff - They are AMAZING in every way. They do a really good job keeping the guests happy and active during rain and sun!! We became very close with them as we all share the same passion (dance). They were so FUN and really just made our trip so special. It was really hard to leave them. THANK YOU AKON _ SPEEDY_ CARI_ STEPHANIE!! You are EVERYTHING! I hope to see you again upon our return one day! We miss your laughs, jokes, and happy faces so much!

Time Share Reps - Yes they are there. They will try and get to you as soon as you arrive. If you are absolutely not interested, just tell them. They will leave you alone. I knew about them from reading all the reviews on Trip Advisor. So I just told them.. I really don't want to do it or be bothered. They were ok with that. However, at the end of the week, we ended up doing it anyway to help Raul get his credit. He was genuinly a cool guy so we wanted to help him out. It was a really short meeting and we actually enjoyed talking with Wander the sales rep. He was awesome. We didn't purchase, but still got our free package. After 10 days.. what was 1 hour. Not all reps are as cool as Wander, so we got lucky!

Dominican Sales - The Dominican's average salary is $200 a month. So yes, there are tons of guys on the beach who want you to go to their store or sell you something. The resort tries to keep them from bothering the guests, but the beach is public property. So they will get you a some point. I actually enjoyed talking to them. They do take no for an answer, so if you aren't interested, then just explain. However, they are just trying to make money like you and I. They just do business differently. We enjoyed they whole shopping and bargaining thing. It's fun. The Dominican's are going to try and get the highest price they can from you.. so if they say $85... you say $10. Eventually you will get something cool for a great price. Just be strong and be willing to walk away. A lot of the vendors carry the same things. So if you don't get the price you want from one, you will find it again. If you don't want to be bothered at all with the shopping... just be honest and friendly. It goes a long way!

All in all, it was a FABULOUS vacation. Nothing is perfect and Secrets isn't perfect. They really do put a lot of effort into making you feel welcome and loved. I miss it so much, I guess that's why I just wrote a novel. :) If you stay there, I'm sure you will have a couple issues here and there, but all in all it is a very good, high quality resort! We loved it.

Oh and one more thing... ROMANTIC DINNER ON THE BEACH!!! Do it! :)

6 Thank Brandee S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,363)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

The entire staff at Secrets Royal Beach hotel treated you like royalty from the moment you walked in. We had no problem checking into our rooms and they were even generous enough to upgrade our rooms from Garden View to Pool view at no extra cost so that all of our rooms were near eachothers.
Cleanliness: The housekeeping staff did an excellent job at keeping our room clean and organized. Petronila always made sure we had all the necessities that we needed such as fresh warm towels,clean sheets and pillows.
Service: No matter where we were; the staff smiled and took the time to make sure everything was going well. We didn't have much time to enjoy all the restaurants that the entire resort has to offer; but we had plenty of time to roam the beach and its bars. I highly recommend that you stop by and visit the Marlin bar. Willy was our go-to bartender while we were there and the drinks that he prepared for us were the BEST! He always serviced us with a welcoming smile and a positive attitude. Tip: Ask him to surprise you and stay away from the Diablito shots ;)
Entertainment: We were able to catch a lot of the shows that Secrets and Now Larimar had every night. The acrobat show, Michael Jackson and Elvis shows were so much fun! Cari served as a great guide and was also very informative in letting us know what activities the resort had for us so that we didn't miss any of them. Our next visit there will definitely be for a longer stay!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Yesenia C
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

Excellent vacation spot, good food, and friendly staff. Lacking of signage of where restaurants were located, or shops. Definitely a downside, which isn't resorts fault, was the constant harrassment from outside "vendors" who were trying to get you to do parasailing, scuba diving, etc. They were lined up on the edge of the resort beachline, and the minute you'd get up to walk in the water, the people would hound you to use their services. Granted the resorts security was highly visible and really ontop of the vendors harassing you, but it was a game of frogger to avoid them to just get into the water. Resort staff had a Booth set up if you wanted to do a water sport, which is alot nicer. However, some stuff to do was expensive. Beach staff was great with taking drink orders, however we felt the mixed drinks weren't strong. Stick with the beer, can't go wrong.

• Stayed August 2011
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank GarageGuy83
Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

The resort is beatiful and the pool is the best. Food at Oceana and Sea side grill was the best. I was dissapointed with the fact that you have to share restaurants with the Now, which is nice but the quality of the meals is not as good.
Wished they opened a different restaurant for lunch and not just buffet or the grill. We were there during the tropical depression Irene and everything was way to borring. The entertainment team was non existent. Service was good once the sun came out.
Be prepared to tip all the tip and even then it doesn't guarrantee great service.
Try the french restaurant the beef paris done medium is the best ever. The gnocchi at the Italian was good. The Hibacchi food was ok not great. Room service was nice. Very romantic hotel. Did not like the beach with the sea grass, that is just me. Seen better in other places. Felt ripped off with the Now side because of the wine selection. You are paying all this money and you don't get the same quality everywhere. Perhaps they should have more restaurants in the Secrets side.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank patty307LosAngeles
Lanzarote, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

I loved this hotel, the service, facilities. I was there during the hurricane Irene and the organization was great, they made us feel safe all the time, although we couldn't go to the beach those days we didn't get bored. It is the best place for being relaxed. The water on the beach was perfect even the rainy days, but with sun...it was a paradise!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Bowmanville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

We visited this resort to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. We stayed from Aug. 21 to the 28th, 2011. On arrival at the resort check-in was prompt and friendly. We were the only couple on our flight from Toronto checking in at Secrets that Sunday. We completed the required paperwork and were quickly "passed off" to someone who led us to believe he was a hotel rep...(he was actually a rep. of the Secrets time share program). He arranged for us to attend a "special breakfast meeting at 8:30 the next morning to receive important information about the hotel services, and to get our discount coupons". We did not bother to attend the meeting. A firm, "NOT INTERESTED, THANKS", should do the trick if you are not interested in this program. Make no mistake this is a push to buy a time share so don't waste your vacation time `buying into' this meeting.
Bracelets are not required and there is no need to make reservations for the a la carte restuarants. On arrival in our room, the door was decorated with a banner announcing "Happy Anniversary". There was an assortment of fresh fruit on the table and a bottle of Dominican rum. Incense and a tea light candle were placed on the coffee and end tables respectively. The room was large and well appointed. The mini-bar was fully stocked (spirits, beverages and water) including snacks. There was never any shortage of hot water and the water pressure was excellent. The robes provided are much too small for adults (more in line for children, but this is an adult only resort!) The slippers and nightly turn-down service is a nice bonus.
The beach is beautiful and there are Beach Butlers to take drink orders all day long. There is no shortage of palapas and lots of palm trees to provide shade. The beach loungers are very comfortable and easy to adjust into position. The food available at the beach grill is very good (hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken, ribs, french fries, baked potatoes). Poolside and lazy river pool butler service is excellent!
Secrets a la carte and buffet restaurant service, food quality and quantity, and presentation were excellent!!! Our only issue was with the Asian restaurant called "Spice". This restaurant is found on the sister property, Now Larimar. The food quality and quantity was excellent however the service was terrible. It took me 35 minutes to get the Corona I ordered at the beginning of our meal. (I had asked 3 different people for this beer). We both ordered the soup but never received it at all. The dessert my wife was given was not the dessert she ordered. Judging by the service some of the other patrons received that evening, they were not too impressed with this restaurant either.
The Secrets house band was some of the best entertainment we've seen!! Keep these guys.
The only serious flaw we encountered was with housekeeping. This area falls way short of a five star rating. After three days at the hotel these are some of the issues we encountered:
- the table lamp did not work
- the light toggle switch came off in my hand
- there was mould on the ceiling in our room
- our hand towels and face cloths were not replenished after our arrival
- the coffee and end tables had not been cleaned after our arrival for 3 days (there were ashes from the incense and stains from glasses still on the tables 3 days later)
- we found 2 plastic covers for disposable razors (none of which were ours!!) one was found on the floor in the shower, the other was found in the wooden toiletries tray on the vanity) YUCK!
- we had only one drinking glass in the bathroom and it was dirty (no clean glasses from Sunday to Wednesday)
- we had only one drinking glass on the bar area (no clean glasses were left from Sunday to Wednesday)
- the patio table had not been washed for 4 days after our arrival and was stained with drink spills, dirt, and sand
- the jacuzzi had to be repaired before we could use it and as a result there was mud inside the tub from the repairman. The repair was done after breakfast. This was not cleaned when our room was made up that day!
- our room was not cleaned until almost 5 p.m. every day! ( Request the clean-up time that you want when you check in)
We reported these issues to the reception manager and they were addressed immediately and to our satisfaction. This was followed up on a daily basis with several phone calls and inspections of our room. The housekeeping supervisor visited our room every day to ensure that all was well and we were satisfied with housekeeping services. Once these issues were addresed we had no other complaints. I would recommend this resort and will probably visit it again.
Our only suggestions would be that the property managers install a handle on the outside of the sliding glass doors, as well as installing some stone from the patio area to the lazy river area. This dirt beomes mud when it rains or you walk through it with wet feet. The mud is tracked onto the patio and into the room.

PHOTOS TO FOLLOW SOON.

Room Tip: Building #5- close to pool, restaurants and the beach; rooms on the west side are lazy river rooms