“SECRETS? NEVER MORE”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
BG
“SECRETS? NEVER MORE”
Reviewed August 29, 2011

I'll never go back there!
1- the rooms: We changed three times our room: the first room had air conditioning problems. the second was just next to a noisy elevator, then we were told that there were no available rooms left, so, if we wanted to change the room, we had to pay more for an upgrade, we refused and they gave my wife and me a room with separated beds (but this was the least problem).
2- the sea: we underwent 12 hours plane for a sea full of seaweeds. Italy is much more better.
There are too many motorboats (parasail, speedboats, excursions) running backwards and forewards all the day too close to the beach, so -also on the beach- the air smells of gasoline and you don't feel safe when you use their catamaran. Horrible. When we complained about this, we were told: "we have to work".
3- water sports: I unfortunately decided to follow a windsurf lesson. While we were in the water, the pseudo-instructor fell down from the surf and, falling, he pulled hard behind him the mast which hurt my forehead, I was seriously injured and almost fainted. Nobody helped me, although I was bleeding. Alone I had to look for the infirmary. After 25 days I still have a scar on my forehead.
4- the service: we sometimes had to kill beetles in our room, after the room-cleaning the corpses of the insects laid on the ground. This meant the the ground wasn't cleaned.
5- if you want a good service you have to tip...
6-there are 2 swimming pools. one with a bar and another bigger where you could't drink. In the swimming pool with the bar there is more alcohol than water, in the second swimming pool there is no control: we saw people drinking smoking eating and much more in there.
There is much more to complain about, but I think it's enough.

6 Thank ElZorroBg
Resident_Mgr_Asst, Manager at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Dear Secrets Royal Beach Valued Guest,

First of all, we are very sorry to learn, that you did not enjoy your vacation as expected. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience that happened during your vacation here at the beautiful Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana.

We hope, that you have recovered from the accident happened while attending a surf lesson. It would be very kind, if you could contact me through email with more information to be able to relate the issue.

Regarding the rooms, we apologize for the fact that you had to change so often until we found a suitable Junior Suite for you.

As far as the motor boats are concerned I would like to inform you, that the sea is public and open for everyone.

Again, we are very sorry for not being able to fulfil your expectations and we would not like to lose you as our valued customer.

We are looking forward to your email.

Respectfully,

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Av. Alemania S/N , El Cortecito, Bávaro Beach
Provincia La Altagracia
Republica Dominicana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,467)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed August 28, 2011

I,ve been in several hotels in Punta Cana through many years (all Melia Paradisus, Barcelo Hotels...) and this is the best Resort to stay, without any doubt. Food was excellent, with many and diverse "tematic" restaurants available for dinning (french, mediterranean, asian...). The beach was great (I think is in the best part of Bavaro Beach...). The rooms were very big, and the beds very comfortable. The service provided by the hotel staff was impressive, in every aspect.

Also, we stayed when hurricane Irene passed through Dominican Republic, and even when it was far away the coast and barely hit us, the staff did everything they could to compensate the lack of sun and beach...

You cannot visit Bavaro and not going to this hotel, it wouldn,t be the same...!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Jose Manuel D
Reviewed August 27, 2011

Went with a group from work and loved it there!! The staff was all very friendly and they keep the place very clean. If you want to eat more American type food I recommend the grill out behind the buffet that is on the beach. They have grilled burgers and chicken.

• Stayed August 2011
West Covina
Reviewed August 27, 2011

My wife and myself made a trip to the Dominican Republic for the first time not knowing what to expect and we landed in Punta Cana. We arrived sunday afternoon on August 21, 2011 and we heard people talking about the hurricane on the way to the island. Geez what a vacation time we've selected, so I said to myself. It rained from the time we arrived until wednesday. I didnt regret staying in the resort for all those days. The resort staff made everything they could to make every guests to enjoy the stay-in the resort. They have programs like, entertainment, games, sports, etc. all day 'till night time. The people at the lobby bars, pool and beach bars are superb. They wont let you have an empty glass of whatever you're drinking. The staffs makes everything possible to make every guests satisfied. A place I can call Paradise.

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed August 27, 2011

My husband and I just returned from 6 days at Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana. Despite Hurricane Irene paying us a visit while we were there we had an AMAZING time! The staff was the best I have seen yet. They were so attentive and polite. The rooms were beautiful and cleaned everyday...sometimes twice a day! And the nightly turn down service was a nice extra too. I especially thought the Hershey kisses on our pillows were cute. I thought the food was also very good. We ate breakfast at the buffet in the morning and usually for lunch. We ate at the a la cartes for dinner. We liked Seaside Grill on the Secrets side, really yummy beef tenderloin with bernaise sauce. We also had hibatchi at Spice, We ate at Mercure the french restuarant. And we also at at the grill restaurant on the Now side but that was my least favorite. We also took advantage of room service during Hurricane Irene. I was very impressed with the top shelf liquor at all the bars. There were a few employees that I want to say an extra thanks to...Speedy with the entertainment team, Rafael and Valentine in the restaurant were excellente!!!

Thanks again Secrets Royal Beach for a wonderful vacation!

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed August 24, 2011

We had a deluxe swim up room it was great to be able to walk out the door and be in the pool. Nightly turn down service was a great extra.

Our best part was the swim up bar. Aneudy was a fantastic bartender! He always made sure we were taken care of. We decided not to do any excursions, we spent our days at the pool with Aneudy taking care of us and the afternoon activities, there was no reason to leave the property.

Was disappointed with the beach you were constantly asked to go to the flea market, have photos taken or to go para sailing. Would like to have been able to enjoy the beach a little more without the hassle.

Oceano was our favorite restaurant Seaside Grill was a close second, but our best service came from Elvin at La Riveria, he remembered our drinks every morning we came in for breakfast and when we would go for dinner. The outside grill on Secrets side was great. Spice on the Now side was the good also, we went twice and sat at the hibachi table both times once with just us and then with a group of us, we enjoyed it both times and they did a great show also. very disappointed with Blue Water Grill.

Overall had a great trip would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Deluxe swim up room way to go, I don't think any room has a great ocean view because of the way...
2 Thank jessica391
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed August 23, 2011

From the moment we got there till the moment of our departure we were treated with tlc! I felt like royalty. Apple Vacations did a wonderful job organizing our package; but the staff at the resort kicked it up several notches. When we arrived, they greated us with cool towels, chanpagne, chocolate chip cookies and fruit. Our room was not ready as we arrived earlier in the day, but as promised, Francoise, AKA "Erick," made sure that getting a room for us very quickly was a priority.

Word of advice though...... they do have people there that appear to be employees, but are employees of some vacation club (time share) company trying to get you to go to their presentation. If that's your thing then go for it. For us, I had to aggressively tell them that we were not interested so that they could stop stalking us.

There were mounds of seaweed on the beach when we got there due to tropical storm Emily, but it was gone in about 48 hours. Those guys worked around the clock! The weather was perfect and the beach was kept clean.

There was never a moment when we were out and about that a staff member did not check to see if we needed anything. Plus, whatever you asked of them, the typical response was "my pleasure." I loved it. The language barrier was rough as we know limited spanish, but after a few days, we learned enough to effectively communicate.

The buffet food was not all that spectacular to us, but we did learn a few tricks. They keep some raw meat at the grilling station and all you have to do is ask them to cook it fresh and its done! Sae with breakfast, just have themn cook your eggs/omlettes to order.

We took advantage of "All Inclusive." They kept the drinks coming. There is an employee at the pool and beach bar, Yoleny, who was the most attentive. She even learned our names! She kept the drinks coming.....no empty glasses. Be careful of the Mamjuana though. It is strong and will have you on your back if you have too many.

We went a a few excursions (Marinarium and Saona Island) and they were terrific. We also did the ocean front massage and that was just okay. They only have females at the spa which was fine for my husband, but I prefer my massages by men. I felt like I was oiled up and tickled for almost an hour.

Simply a beautiful place. Can't wait to go back and do it all over (or better) again.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the pool view or the garden view just adjacent to the pool view.
3 Thank Shenee M