“Adult Only Relaxing All Inclusive”

Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #9 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Adult Only Relaxing All Inclusive”
Reviewed March 13, 2011

My wife & I stayed at the NH Royal in Feb, 2011 for 7 nights. We have 2 college age children & this was our 1st vacation without them in a long time. We had a great time. We have traveled extensively in the Caribbean but this was our 1st time in DR. The NH Royal is adult (over 18) only. It is situated on the beach & on the same campus ( a 2 minute walk away) as the NH Real, which allows children. Guests at the Royal can use the Real facilities (other than the restaurants not sure why you'd want to), but not vice versa. The rooms are spacious, clean, modern and very well organized. The pool is very long, & winds around part of grounds and the swim-up pool bar. The beach is beautiful with many palapas and palm trees for shade, although if you got to the beach after about 7:30 AM the palapas were all taken. The beach is very long in this area. We walked about 45 minutes in 1 direction & got to the end, & about 1 hour in the other direction & were not close to the end. The ocean water was very calm & warm (my guess is about 80F), although it is not the crystal clear water available at some other Caribbean locations. Some sea grass washes up, although there is an extensive crew that cleans up the sea grass. We are SCUBA divers, but DR is not known for good SCUBA so we did not plan on diving this trip. We took a 1 hour snorkel trip 1 afternoon to the inner reef, about a 5 - 10 minute boat ride. It is a small patch reef with some typical Caribbean reef fish, with about 40 feet horizontal visibility that day. We did not expect anything more. If you like to snorkel or dive there are better locations.
We found the food very good for an all-inclusive. There is a buffet restaurant for all 3 meals, 2 other ala carte restaurants (1 of which was quite good), & at least 2 others at the Real. There was a tremendous variety at all meals. Caribbean lobster was available on 3 or 4 days for lunch & dinner. We don't go to the Caribbean for fine dinning, but this exceeded our expectations.
In our opinion the staff at any hotel can make or break a vacation. The staff at the Royal was excellent- always friendly, competent & fun. We took $100 in $1 bills & tipped the maids, bartenders, & meal servers we came into contact with $1 or $2 as appropriate. I don't think it made a big difference in how we were treated, since I observed non-tippers receiving the same great service. But I know it was appreciated. The staff works very hard & went out of their way to make the room clean & well supplied, & meet every request with a smile.
Our plan on this trip was mostly relaxation, swimming & beach walking. NH Royal exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,458)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
richmond, va
Reviewed March 13, 2011

it is difficult to compare resorts throughout the carribean, they all have their pluses so my review is based on thisd location without comparing it to any others. The grounds are beautiful and are maintained well. We had a problem with the front desk, however, I think this was an isolated case and will not go into it. The lobby bar is to me the best at the resort, the staff is extremely attentive and make the best drinks. The coffee there is wonderful! Kudos to Fabio, Carlos and Isabelle, they were wonderful. The wifi is paid for and accessed in the lobby, $4-00 for 15 minutes if you use their computers, $60.00 for the week to use your own. The area outside of the lobby is where everyone gathers after dinner for music and drinks, this is very enjoyable, the music was very good. The rooms are spacious with a large shower , we enjoyed the tub on the balcony and used it every afternoon after the beach along with a glass of champagne from the bar. For more privacy drape your towels over the balcony. Rooms were quiet, beds comfortable. Maids kept the rooms clean, had to ask for more towels from time to time. No wine or liquer in rooms, only beer water and juice. Pool area was nice but busy, we spent time in the more secluded lazy river area, bring a float! Chairs in pool area we never an issue for us as we spent our time on the beach, when at the pool we were in it! If you want a covered area you need to get down and get one on the beach early, however, over in the palm tree area there were always plenty of chairs (of course there are those people 2 in number that seem to need 4 chairs). The problem I had at the beach is the loud music from about 10-12 which really takes away from the beach experience, do not get chairs near the music if you want to be able to hear each other talk! We sailed the hobie cats daily, you can do 30 minutes a day for free or pay 25.00 insurance and sail daily for one hour, to us it was woth the price. If people before you are late returning the hobie, it comes off your time, so please return them on time! My husband went diving and said the current was very rough that day. Beatrice and Irving were great. The beach is nice, the seaweed can be an issue but we did not let it bother us, it was not that bad, undertow can be strong. We thought the best food was at the buffet, we at fresh fish daily along with the soups and italian vegtable, eggplant, peppers, etc. Also enjoyed the grill where they had fresh sardines they grilled (I know they are not for everyone). Willie at the beach bar was great about making my specific drink request. Pure was okay, They did try to seat us with another large group and we told them no! Why would we want to sit with a group of 6 friends and we are strangers? my feeling is I like a more relaxed pace so we chose the buffet. We at outside at all meals and really enjoyed Abraham waiting on us. We also enjoyed the music at night. One issue, they cook shellfish on same griddle as the fish so if you are allergic to shellfish then you can not eat the fish unless they change this practice! Language can be an issue, my husband is pretty good with spanish but we had issues in the restaurant trying to tell them to cook tuna rare or omlett soft. So brush up on your spanish! We felt the value of this place makes it worth a return visit.

New Jersey
Reviewed March 12, 2011

My husband and I have never been to the Dominican Republic, and we enjoyed the NH Royal beach so much, that we are hoping to go back again. The hotel management clearly has very high service standards: anything we ever thanked the staff for was always responded to with "My pleasure." The rooms were modern and well-appointed. We had a flat-screen tv, dual sinks, tile shower, jacuzzi and minibar (not much alcohol, but we did receive a complimentary bottle of Dominican rum upon arrival). The rooms were very clean and comfortable. I even observed the staff cleaning another room one morning: they were cleaning the glass on the balcony overlooking the garden!

A few miscellaneous details: all the water is filtered/bottled. The room service is part of the all-inclusive. You can use US standard outlets (not with the ground) in the hotel. You should plan on waking early to claim lounge chairs by the pool (before 8am is ideal). Loungers on the beach are generally still available until a bit later. After about 1 pm, there is usually room under a palapa by the pool; you can ask the staff to move loungers from the beach to the pool deck, if you like.

I would recommend this hotel to travelers looking for a relaxing adult-only environment. All the bars close early, with the exception of the main lobby bar (which is open until midnight). This helps to ensure that the hotel grounds are quiet and relaxing after 6 pm. Just off the lobby bar is the Royal Arena, which is a large open area with plenty of seating & varied live music. For those who want a bit more activity, the NH Real Arena is just a few paces away. There, vacationers will find multiple attractions such as a casino, nightclub, theater, sports bar, and much more. The best part of staying at NH Royal Beach is that guests enjoy privileges at the neighboring NH Real Arena. By contrast, guests at the NH Real Arena do not receive any privileges as NH Royal Beach.

Overall, this was a fantastic vacation, and we look forward to returning to the NH Royal Beach!

1 Thank OMGnj
Cincinnati
Reviewed March 12, 2011

Our second stay and it is still our resort of choice. The servers, food and quality of the room was exceptional.

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 12, 2011

Was extremely impressed with this hotel. First time in DR and it is probably the most beautiful beach ever, and I have been to other caribbean islands. The place is spotless and noticed staff was constantly cleaning. My friends and I had a ball! Definitely worth the money.

Food was good for an all inclusive, especially Italian and Asian on the Arena side. I would skip Pure though, different type of cuisine, but way too much food - 8 courses. Found the buffet just ok, but the burgers at the beach barbecue were yummy. Best coffee in the Caribbean, especially the cappuccino. Try it late night at the lobby bar.

A major problem was the "lack" of towels in the room, as well as for the beach. In addition, the mini bar was not stocked every day and I called the front desk and they never responded. Definitely a language problem as I asked for some stuff fixed in the room and
they came up to fix the toilet (there was nothing wrong with the toilet). Also, I got a massage in the spa on the beach. It was good, but then a friend of mine was brought into the same room while I was having my massage. If it is not a couples massage, I believe a massage should be private and that basically ruined my experience. They did not know I knew her, so basically, it could have been a stranger walking in. I would opt for the indoor spa services.

Except for some of these small inconveniences, this is a great place and I would definitely recommend. Cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank LIsaG4296
Chester Springs, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 12, 2011

This was a great vacation for our ten-year anniversary. The hotel staff in this hotel is absolutely amazing. They are friendly, funny and willing to help you. One morning, I thought that I left my camera in the Pure Restaurant. I went back and found a person there who helped me look for it. She then went and found the manager AND my waiter from the night before who insisted that I didn't leave it there. She then personally escorted me to the front desk to file a report and - lo and behold - my camera was there. I had left it in the front desk bar and the staff had turned it in (It was not left in the restaurant as I had thought.) I was so impressed with the help I had received. That personal customer service was exactly what we experienced the whole week. Fantastic!

The beach is fantastic. Expansive sand, very little seaweed in the water and a security guard to keep us from getting harassed. A quick walk down the beach shows the kind of beaches that other resorts offer - and ours was one of the best.

I did yoga on the beach and a merengue lesson with Akon who had enough personality for three people. He is wonderful. We also got a free massage on the beach that was excellent.

I agree with the other reviewers - invest in a raft for the lazy river, get big insulated cups for your drinks, bring money to tip particularly good service. You don't have to get up super early to get chairs, but do get them before breakfast.

One thing my husband and I noticed - we got superior service in the Royal Beach side as opposed to the sister hotel in both the restaurants and the front desk. We found that we enjoyed dining on the Royal Beach side instead for this reason. They seemed a little more hectic on the other side.

The food was hit or miss, but we didn't care (but skip the Asian restaurant). Also, my husband and I went to work out at the gym and the air conditioning wasn't on - it was almost 77 degrees and my husband almost passed out. Ha! Make sure you check that the air is on before you start pumping iron...

I actually shed tears at breakfast on the morning I had to leave. I can't wait to go back.

2 Thank soxphilly
Virginia
Reviewed March 11, 2011

Upfront I have to say that this was my husband's and my first visit to the Caribbean, so we have little to compare to our experience at the NH Royal; however, we feel that our visit at the NH Royal was wonderful and would like to return soon.

First, the level of service from the staff was was excellent, from those who greeted us at the restaurants to the drink servers on the beach to the maintenance and housekeeping staff. Everyone smiled warmly, offered eye contact, and appreciated our often-clumsy attempts to greet them and converse in Spanish. The wait staff in the restaurants and bars was particularly excellent. Since we were in their home country, we wanted to learn about them, and through our efforts, we made friends with several. (Please try to meet Zamora and get to know this special man, if you visit.)
A note about tipping: We did choose to offer tips to the wait staff throughout our visit and found the extra few dollars to be very appreciated. (These employees work extremely hard for many days on end before earning a few get-away weekend breaks to go to their homes.)

Our room was well-situated and very comfortable. We received an upgrade when we arrived (our original assigned room wasn't ready, apparently) and ended up in a terrific location - third floor pool side in the building directly adjacent to the restaurants. We enjoyed the walk-in shower and balcony jetted tub. The bathroom lighting was a little dim for my preference. Bedding was clean and comfortable, and we both slept very well each night. Our minibar fridge was stocked daily, and we enjoyed the evening turn-down service. Our room was cleaned daily by Carmen, and she took great care of us!

We pretty much lived on the beach every day of our visit. The weather during our visit was perfect, and we especially enjoyed the constant breezes! The beach chair issue many have mentioned is valid, but we learned to play the game. You have to get up early (around 6 a.m.) and put your beach towels on available chairs on the beach or by the pool. We were in our chairs by 10 each morning and didn't leave until 5 or so in the p.m. when we would go up and end our day at the pool. Yes, many times we saw chairs reserved and no one using them. Not sure how to remedy that problem.

The pool area, as were the other areas of the resort, was beautifully laid out and landscaped. We enjoyed just sitting around the edge of the pool enjoying drinks at the end of our day.

We walked up and down the beach and came to the conclusion that our resort had the best maintained beach. Seaweed is an issue along the entire beach area, and the NH Royal had staff assigned to seaweed removal on a daily basis. Other neighboring resorts did not appear to have such service. Also, the staff regularly cleaned up trash and debris from the beach, especially around the chairs. The other resorts we passed by did not reflect the same level of maintenance and cleanliness.

We appreciated the security, who kept a terrific eye on those who came and went to the resort area along the beach. The solicitors who came by (using selling excursions) were not intrusive, and the security staff helped to ensure that no one was hassled.
There were many motorized activities in the water throughout the day, but they didn't take away from our relaxation.

As for the food, we made reservations for Pure and El Motero, and we did enjoy the beach lobster party on the Monday night of our visit. Eating on the beach at night by candlelight and tiki torches was very romantic! Otherwise, we enjoyed the buffet for our meals. The breakfast offerings were my favorite, and the fruit was amazing at each meal! We ate all of our buffet meals (except for our last dinner) outside on the terrace looking out over the beach. We would both say that overall, the food was great - not exceptional.

We did take a shuttle to a nearby shopping mall and enjoyed walking a round looking at the shops; however, we were happy to return to the resort and remain there for the rest of our visit. We found the resort's gift shop to be convenient and fairly reasonably priced.

We chose an adults-only resort because we wanted a quiet vacation. We both love young people but didn't want to share our vacation with spring breakers or small children. We walked just a couple of times next door to the sister Real Arena Resort, which was definitely livelier. We feel that the NH Royal definitely provided the quiet setting we sought. After dinner each night we walked to the plaza for the live music. The music wasn't really great, but we enjoyed after-dinner drinks and candlelight and a few slow dances.

We did pay $25 for 24 hours of internet wi-fi service (the 24 hours were spread out - not a daily fee), and we experienced efficient high-speed service.

What we liked best: The amazing beach area, the pool, eating outdoors, and especially the staff!
What we liked least: The beach chair competition and the inconsiderateness of some guests who reserved chairs and never used them. (We often saw new arrivals wandering around looking for chairs in the afternoon and finding none.) Also, the tile areas throughout the resort were very slippery when wet.

Helpful hint: We neglected to set up transportation to and from the airport and had to use a taxi each way. Expensive and very frightening!! The locals drive like they are competing in a NASCAR race with no rules!

We were both very sad to leave after such a wonderful week at the NH Royal. The beauty of the resort and its warm staff are both reasons that we would consider a return visit.

3 Thank tpc8384