Lowest prices for your stay
$176
Free cancellation until 10/07/22
Reserve now, pay at stay
$176
Hotels.com$176
Priceline$176
Bahia Principe
8,790 results
All reviews jazmin buffet a la carte restaurants garden grill privilege club lobby bar butler service other resorts guest services dominican republic ambar section huge resort brazilian restaurant main resort main pool great resort star resort rose petals
Selected filters
Reviewed February 9, 2020

My wife and I have been to Esmeralda over a dozen times, it’s our home away from home. Great location, great food, great weather but most importantly GREAT staff. Meldy is a fantastic butler, always going over and above, he’s friendly, helpful, enthusiastic and all round a great guy! He is one of many great staff members at Esmeralda. Our thanks to Meldy, Yaquerline, Manolo, Hugo, Joaquin, Yule, and Alexandra our favourite poolside waitress and too many more to mention!

Trip type: Traveled with family
BPCompBav, Online Reputation at Bahia Principe Luxury Esmeralda, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2020

Dear Sparkystevo,

We trully appreciate that you have chosen once again our hotel as your holiday destination. As a repeater client, your opinion is very important to us.

It is rewarding to know that all our teamwork goes above and beyond to make you feel welcomed, and create a home away from home.

Thanks so much for highlighting great location, great food, great weather and our great staff. Looking forward to welcoming you guys pretty soon once again.

Bolivar Arias
Online Reputation
Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort.

Reviewed February 7, 2020

First of all let me say that this is my first review, shame on me as I myself are a big user of tripadvisor reviews before booking hotels (I generally do a lot of research as I am quiet skeptical and want my holidays or stays to be as good as possible). But this time I really feel I should start and specially on the Bahia Principe Esmeralda!

As said, I did a lot of research before booking this 10 days Family holidays and even had some conversation with the Hotel itself. As usual you can find anything from perfect to worst in the internet but honestly the reviews did not look as bad, that’s why I picked this hotel. But it turned out to be not as good as expected to say the least.
Let’s start with the positive:
The Bahia complex is actually quite nice, with lots of greens and well maintained, with everything you would expect. Lot’s of Bars, sport possibilities (Tennis, Minigolf, Soccer pitch, Beach volleyball, Catamaran sailing incl., Body boards for free, shows everywhere, etc…) The Esmeralda has its age but is well maintained, rooms are big and with almost everything you need, Pool is big and good, Water park for the kids (more for younger ones below 7) and a very nice beach with palm trees and a well-functioning beach bar. Entertainment for the adults seemed ok (I did not use it at all) and you get the usual happy Caribbean attitude by the staff (we speak Spanish so you get more involved I guess). Food in the buffet is just decent but not good at all and very repetitive, repeats every 7 days (we stayed 10 days). Specially to mention is Guillermo at the beach bar who is superb and the chief of entertainment (forgot his name) which is very friendly and really apologizes if things are not going the way they should.
That’s about it on the positive side.

This hotel is very badly managed, and Managers don’t have control and don’t know how a 5 Star hotel should be managed at all. There is no attention to details you would expect from a 5 Star property and even if you complain the feeling you get is that they could not care less although the standard response is that they are here to serve you but no actions taken at any time in this sense. We did file complains with the head of the reception and Managers (buffet and restaurants) around the property but nothing was taken seriously and neither was any real apology offered or any little thing to make up for the inconvenience, special mention to Marilu (Jasmin buffet) prototype of the sort of bad manager that does not care about customers.

To give you a flavor of things a few examples (I could write an essay but will limit it to give you a proper idea). We arrived in the evening after a long haul flight from Europe and even if I had communicated well in advance the need of a baby cot when we arrived obviously nothing was prepared and it took them an incredible 1.5 hours to get us the baby cot; in the buffet there is plenty of staff but it takes them ages to serve you drinks and you have to fight for to get what you want (unless you give them a big tip obviously, because it seems that’s all what they care for and sometimes loudly fight for between each other), the stuff is mingling around but not really doing their job (but taking selfies, looking at their cells (yes they all have their phones with them never seen this before at any hotel!) or dancing and singing) including the managers!
At the beach in the morning the sun chairs are not properly cleaned and some dishes lying around from the day before, once my mother went down and complained and the guy gave her the broom to wipe herself the sand off the chair, incredible I know; in the beach restaurant (as in all others) the girls at the entrance were just there for appearance and looked always very annoyed,they did not work at all but as said above taking selfies, playing with their phones or joking between each other.
Once for example there was no vinegar and when I asked the response was there is none today and you know what they had filled vinegar in the olive oil bottle??? Then in full rush hour for lunch they start changing all chairs and even tried to change the chair we were sitting on whilst still eating? Dear managers if you need to do this do it before the restaurant opens or after rush hour at least it’s not rocket science!
The restaurants at the property, which you need to book and its hard to get a table even if mostly empty, are really bad (Bella italia and the Asian one, Aracife(brazilian) is decent but terrible service) food is just awful (at the other hand I have to say that the Indian at the Ambar was really good as was the Teppanyaki at the Bavaro, unfortunately with kids most others with good reviews were not bookable for us).
The Mini bar at the room gets refilled but if you drink diet Pepsi it does not come to their attention to refill diet Pepsi but just randomly whatever they have at hand same applies for example to the shaving kit once used just not replaced and the poor ladies complain about the 16 rooms they need to make in a day of surely over 8 hours (ever been to a top class hotel, the cleaning ladies get about 12 minutes for one room and it is spectacular clean and tidy and everything is always refilled as you would enter a new room!), additionally to mention there is no shoehorn at the room or the hotel I had never experience this throughout my travels.
For those with kids, there is a Miniclub but basically non-existent besides a few very basic games and dances there is no really taking care of the kids and things get just cancelled or changed without notice.
I stop here but could go on for pages. I hope this gives all of you a good idea about what to expect. Don’t get me wrong, if you’re looking for a nice beach, lot’s to drink and don’t care about service and food quality its probably a good choice but if you’re looking for a 5 Star treatment, quality and attention, go somewhere else because you won't find it here. I have been extensively travelling around the world for business and leisure for the last 25 years and would dare to say to have a good idea about what to expect in the different categories of hotels and as said this I never a 5 Star hotel not even for the Dominican Republic all-inclusive standard.

Greets to all and enjoy your holiday.

PS: if the hotel relationship managers want to post the generic response I see in other posts about how sorry they are about what happened and how they are taking the complaint seriously and will take accordant actions, please safe your typing because you had enough time for action during my stay and nothing happened so spare me with false promises (BTW, still here in room 91203). And to all readers be assured this is just marketing. I will definitely not return to any of the Bahia branded hotels worldwide, you’re missed your chance here and now.

Date of stay: February 2020
2  Thank appollo1979
BPCompBav, Online Reputation at Bahia Principe Luxury Esmeralda, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2020

Dear Guest,

Our client’s opinions are our top priorities and all feedback from them is valued. We would like to inform you that our goal with each answer is not offend our guests, if not, that you may know that each of your comment are taken in the highest consideration, we sincerely regret if the circumstances that you have mentioned could have affected your vacation experience and that we were not able to fulfill your expectations with our services.

Reviewed February 6, 2020

We were a group of 18 family members spending New Years there.

They escorted us to a side cafe for us to wait and it took long to check in 7 rooms - two rooms got mixed up.

We try to reserve a-la-carte and told everything was mainly full for all week - Hey we just got there. We accept some bookings and different times. At night we see restaurant not even half full so dont understand why stated full. Suddenly within 48 hours restaurants suddenly have room and that depends who you went and see and ask.

Restaurants were hit-miss but the MEAT at AMBAR which we had the right was the best one. The Italian and Asian was so-so and buffet felt it was a Ground Hog day since same thing every day. boring and not really a theme.

Beach and pools were a NIGHTMARE and people at 6am all reserve with 1 towel on two chairs or 1 shirt.. we had the left overs. we learn the trick to get up and try to reserve early... surprising to see empty chairs for HOURS but reserve because people reserve at two places at same time so they can spend morning in one place and afternoon in another.. sic that management does not encourage and find a control manner. Beach was clean and service was so-so sometimes they show up all the time and days you look for service but overall happy.

The bar was good, the coffee machines if not broken it was good.

Staff are friendly and helpful but so many Privilage Cars waiting and guest unable to take them and have to wait and do long walks.

Rules change before LUXUARY meant you had access to all LUXUARY resorts now it is NO rights to Fantasia while last time I was at Fantasia was no right to Esmaralda.

Shows is so-so and can not compete with Fantasia shows.

New Year buffet them was the regular and burn up lobsters which was disgusting.

The buffet staff needs a lesson because we see some staff putting tables together for group while others split us in 4 groups when they were to lazy to put tables together.

Internet at the resort was bad and one of the worst Ive seen until now.

A few times to Grand Bahia since many years and this was not a good experience and we paid the price for higher service, Done with big resorts and Grand Bahia since this was the tip of the iceberg and many other resorts in Punta Cana lower price and better service and food.

Room tip: Fantasia and Ambar is better
2  Thank ArthurSousa
BPCompBav, Online Reputation at Bahia Principe Luxury Esmeralda, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2020

Dear Arthur,

We appreciate that you take the time to send us your comments regarding your experience during your last stay with us. All feedback from our guests is valued, to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us. We apologize for any inconveniences you may have experienced. Your observations have been taken in the highest consideration and shared with the General Manager of our Resort to analyze the points you mentioned.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or need assistance send an email to info.esmeralda@bahia-principe.com

Kind regards,

Reviewed February 4, 2020

I stay 10 nights at bahia principe esmeralda its was excellent service excellent food very clean service 5 stats l love it and we had best service also from assistances manager Yaquerlin De La Cruz and thats numbers 8 times visiting same place

Trip type: Traveled with friends
BPCompBav, Online Reputation at Bahia Principe Luxury Esmeralda, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2020

Dear Samic,

It is an honor to know that you liked your experience of 10days in our Bahia Principe Luxury Esmeralda. In our hotel we work with great dedication, this is what is allowing us to make a difference in each guest experience and motivate us to continue striving towards excellence.

Thank you for mentioning our excellent service, in special to Yaquerlin, she will be happy to know that she did an excellent work.

We hope to see you next year in your vacations in our Resort. For any additional information, you can contact us at info.esmeralda@bahia-principe.com

Best Regards,

Reviewed January 31, 2020

Louis Barroa and the entertainment crew put on a fantastic show every single night! We have been back 5 times and each time is better and better! You will not regret coming to this resort! We have absolutely loved our trips to the Grand Bahia Principe!

Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank SaraConnelly
BPCompBav, Online Reputation at Bahia Principe Luxury Esmeralda, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2020

Dear Sara,

Our commitment is to offer the best service and exceed your expectations. We are pleased to know that we have achieved it with you, and we are proud to know that the work of our animators stands out.

We hope to have you soon with us back at our Hotel.