Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #32 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Wife and I (33 & 41 years old) from UK stayed 17th - 24th May.

Airport - Queue to pay entrance fee of $10 then passport then queue again to fill another form. Travelled with Thomas cook and you need to come out and turn left (we went right and ended up outside) to find the desks where they tell you what coach. Return went OK after paying $10 each for the exit fee.

Arrival - 25 mins to main hotel and then get off and get transferred down to Esmeralda as coach can not get down to hotel where luggage was waiting for us. They sat us down and give a welcome drink and checked us in within 5 mins and bellboy took luggage to room.

Rooms - We were in block 96 which didn't have a pool view but was still 200m from the 2 pools and 300m from beach and 50m from main bar. Rooms are as per the photos in that they are excellent and huge. We had 2 double beds. Bathroom had Jacuzzi bath/Walk in shower/Toilet with door and 2 sinks. Room had free safe/iron/bathrobes/slippers and even an umbrella (it was needed!) Rooms cleaned every day and mini bar filled up daily with Water/Beer/Coke etc and mini spirits. Chocolates put on pillow at night which was a nice touch.

Pools/Beach - Pools are lovely with swim up bars. Hotel seemed to get busier as the week went on however never had a problem getting a sun bed. Beach as nice as photos however due to the number of sun umbrellas you have to keep moving to stay in the sun! If you look right on the beach you will see some brightly painted buildings in the distance which are gift shops and are about 1 mile away but a nice walk along the beach.

Food/Drink - Very good. Buffets were nice and always lots of choice. We sent email to hotel a week before arriving regarding a la cartes and they were booked for our arrival. You need to get a booking slip for each a la carte from Guest services, which is next to the Esmeralda reception. We went to French/Italian/Mexican/Grill/Chinese. Couple of them men need to wear long trousers whilst the others short pants are OK however this is explained on booking slips. Waiters top up water all the time and ask for drink orders etc. Couple of them still have a buffet part for starters etc but they bring main meal out.

Weather - Hit and miss. Rained heavy 2 nights and 1 morning for hour at most. Cloudy a couple of other days cloudy but still hot enough to burn (lots of people including us!) Other days were hot.

Staff/Tipping - As from UK and not used to tipping culture we were a little confused with this as due to the size of the resort and the number of staff you will come into contact with for one reason or another if you tipped everyone every time you would tip a lot. We tipped Bell boy $2 for luggage, bar staff when they brought drinks to us ($1 a time or we tipped $5 at the end of the night as didn't have many $1) A la Carte tip left of $10 each time. Maid $15 at the end. Staff always very happy regardless of if you tipped or not.

Overall - Excellent time and well worth 5 star. We usually don't go back to same place for holidays but would make an exception for this hotel.

Room Tip: Look at hotel map (one in hotel grounds folder on tripadvisor) if you want a pool view and request o...
7 Thank Chris P
Viancagraciano, Customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Dear Chris,

Our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda family will be very happy to hear that you had an exceptional and excellent vacation, not only because of our superb service, but also because of our lovely pools, pristine rooms, very good food and drinks and the amazing staff. It is a pleasure to read that our resort well worth 5 star.

We will be happy to receive you again at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, the best hotel!!!

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,538)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 2, 2014

We stayed at the Bahia Principe Esmeralda from May 23-30, traveled with my husband and my parents. My husband and I are in our late 20s-early 30s, while my parents are in their mid-60s. We all had a mostly excellent vacation. I have been to many all-inclusives in a number of different areas around the caribbean and so have a lot to compare it to!

GROUNDS: The grounds were immaculate and clean at all times. Beautiful immaculately cleaned typical caribbean style architecture. We regularly saw staff cleaning all the grounds and tending to the fantastic greenery,

BEACH: The beach is so beautiful. White sand as fine as icing sugar. Lovely warm turquoise ocean with a totally sandy bottom. I also have to say that there were barely any fish in the water where people were swimming, which I liked because I'm a little afraid of fish (that's just me!). We also used a kayak which was fine. You'll notice that in the ocean in front of this resort is a shipwreck, which we found really interesting! We paid one of the scubaquatic staff that run the water sports $30 US to drive us out to see it in a little motor boat. It was really fun! This resort also has a lot of those shaded little straw cabana things on the beach which was nice. I will say that people leave stuff on the chairs to reserve the best seats and must do it the night before, because my husband and parents went down there to try and beat the others at reserving by 6:00 am and the best spots were usually already taken. If you want to reserve by putting towels on the chairs, don't feel bad about it because clearly no one else feels bad and does it too! There were still places to sit, they just weren't the best spots right by the water. It was fine though.

POOLS: Big, beautiful, warm, clean!

ROOMS: The rooms were perfectly fine, I thought they were quite beautiful. The bathroom was nice and big with a separate shower and jet bath tub. We had a huge king-sized canopy bed, and although it obviously wasn't a top-of-the-line mattress, I found it fine (and I am a very fussy sleeper). Room service was fine. If we called in any issues with our room, they were answered promptly by the resort staff.

STAFF: We found mostly all the staff to be so friendly! I am shocked to see other reviewers complaining about rudeness and a lack of english speakers. While yes, some of the staff were not totally fluent in english, it did not hinder our experience in any way. Mind you, we are always mindful that we are visitors to a non-english speaking country! I will note that at check-in, the check-in person was adamantly asking for a "hotel voucher" which we didn't seem to have. We showed them all the documents that had been provided to us by air canada, and this "hotel voucher" was not included. He told us we had to go to the "welcome meeting" to ask for our hotel voucher as it was "very important to the hotel". My husband and I definitely did not want to be required to wake up at 8:00am to listen to that, but thankfully my mom went instead. They did not give her the hotel voucher at the welcome meeting, but told her to tell the check-in staff that they needed to deal with air canada. Not a big deal, just thought it was something perhaps the hotel could have dealt with themselves instead of requiring us to deal with it while on our vacation. I'm not even sure what the significance of the hotel voucher was...
They also let us keep our room for a late check-out on our last day free of charge which we really appreciated!

FOOD: We were all very impressed with the food both at the a la cartes and at the buffets. Even the snack bar was delicious, and I loved how they had sangria!! We didn't eat at any other buffets then the ones at the esmeralda section so I cannot comment on the others, but the ones in this section were excellent and delicious. The a la cartes were good. The Don Pablo at the Ambar is the best! We actually ended up eating at the bella italia twice because of a reservation change, the first time we ordered pasta and pizza which were not good. The second time we ordered the steak which was amazing. I will note that reservations for the a la cartes are a bit of a hassle. We emailed our preferences a week previous and when we got there, the lady who gave us the reservations just printed them out and we noticed that they weren't even our choices. I didn't say anything because I didn't care that much. I'm not a picky eater and will try anything! We requested most of our dinners at 8, but she gave us some at 9, which we though would be fine, because we're young and don't mind eating later. When we decided that we didn't want to eat at 9 and tried to change it, it was impossible. I will complain about the inflexibility of reservations for the a la cartes, most of which were pretty empty when we went to eat. I wish they were more flexible with reservations. Even when we tried to change our reservations from 2 people to 4 people (to eat with my parents) they wouldn't let us, which I didn't understand because most of the tables in the a la cartes seat 4? So we were a little annoyed by the a la carte situation. But i guess we can't have everything we want! I will say that my parents got all the resos they wanted because they eat early (6:30).

ENTERTAINMENT: At the beach during the day they have fun music and beach volleyball. They bring the music to the pool in the afternoon. I loved the nightly shows at the tropicana theatre - they were fun and entertaining. We also watched the house band one evening which was fun. My dad and husband watched the hockey game at the sports bar one night which they said was packed. Overall the entertainment was good! We didn't go to the disco. The bars in the esmeralda closed at 11:30 which was fine for us.

TRANSPORTATION: The resort is huge, so they have golf carts to take you from place to place. We never had to wait more then a minute or 2 for a cart. It was excellent.

My only complaint other than the a la carte situation would be the privilege club staff members. We found them to be so pushy (which is typical of staff doing that job I know). While they weren't rude, we did not appreciate being harassed to talk to them every single time we walked by their little booth. They guilt-tripped us into attending the meeting for the "welcome gift" by saying if we didn't go that they wouldn't get money for their family (who can say no to that?) We already know the deal with these "clubs" as my parents informed us. But they promised us it would only be "20 minutes at most". Well 2 hours goes by and we're still not done! We were very angry at the time he wasted at that meeting and were pushed the whole time to buy into the privilege club, and also they wouldn't drive us back until my husband basically became obviously angry and rude and demanded they drive us NOW (they took us to some place at the front of the resort, and I know it's partially his fault for not being able to say no in the first place). Obviously he didn't buy into it. I would strongly recommend that the hotel tell these staff to accept when people say no and not to continually harass them. This was really the only negative situation that affected our vacation. Heads up, you have to be EXTREMELY firm in your NO to get them to leave you alone.

OVERALL: While there were a couple of bumps that affected our trip, we still had an absolutely fantastic vacation and would definitely recommend this resort to people travelling to punta cana.

4 Thank vancitycanadagirl
Dear Guest,

We really appreciate this feedback which helps us to identify and address areas for improvement. It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that you had an excellent vacation with your husband at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda. Thank you very much for highlighting our immaculate and clean grounds, beautiful beach, perfect rooms and friendly staff.

We hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity to welcome you once again to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Warmest regards from the Dominican Republic!

Canton, Michigan, United States
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Vantage point: My wife and I have visited quite a few all-inclusive resorts in Mexico and the DR druing the last few years including multiple Riu, Iberostar, Bahia Principe, and Grand Palladium resorts.

Overall: We were here for four nights, May 24-28 2014. This is a very solid overall resort that excels in most areas and our vacation was definitely a good one. In a nutshell, the hotel itself, service, beach, and buffet food was very good. Drinks and specialty restaurants were ok. Unfortunately the couple of areas that it does lack in keep us from giving it a 5-star rating. Mostly having to do with a lazy animation team and evening shows and entertainment that one has to go to the cheaper main resort for where the experience is not nearly as nice.

Hotel: No complaints here. The hotel is small and all buildings are fairly close to the beach. Rooms are a good size with Jacuzzi tubs and balconies. Grounds are immaculate with plenty of exotic plants and flowers. Lobby is nice with the best bar at this hotel and multiple areas to lounge.

One negative is that the entire Bahia Principe complex expends inland instead of along the beach like many properties in the DR. As a result, their stretch of beach is not nearly as long as many neighboring hotels and if you want to get from Esmeralda to the Bahia Principe sports/shopping complexes or theater, it will be a 15-20 minute trip by taking the trolley inland.

Pools and pool bar are very nice and not crowded. Esmeralda has two pools along with a jacuzzi area. Beach is your typical Bavaro beach that is wide and has soft sand. This hotel's beach is fairly crowded, actually it's the most crowded beach that I've seen on the main Bavaro stretch along with the Iberostar beach. There are plenty of loungers and palapas though. One doesn't have to play the towel game here unless you want to be in the very front of the bach.

Service/Food/Drinks: Service was very good. We always felt like our needs were attended to adequately or better, waiters were great, especially at the beach snack bar where they instantly remembered our preferences. A nice touch was getting clean towels in the room twice per day. Food at both the main buffet - Jazmine as well as the snack bar was very good as far as buffet food goes. Not too much variation from day to day but good selection and most everything tasted good. The specialty restaurants were average. Don Pablo and Le Gourmet were the two that we tried. Don Pablo was better but neither was anything special. Steak was good but more like chain restaurant quality rather than good steakhouse. Drinks were good at the main lobby bar with mid-level import spirits and good local rum but sometimes tested watered down if you had the waitress get them for you instead of ordering at the bar.

Entertainment - This is where this hotel could be better. Not too many fun activities are available and the animation team was frequently late getting started and quite a few times activities were canceled with no notice and the entertainment schedule was not followed in general. During the day in the bach/pool area, one could go next door to BH Bavaro/Punta Cana and their pool, but it's full of drunk teenagers and low quality drinks. Esmeralda has no evening shows of their own but does have live music that ends at about 10:30 PM. After that you once need to take a 20 minute trip whether walking or by trolly to BH Bavaro/Punta Cana lobby area where they do have shows and live music that ends at midnight but you get the same low quality local drinks at their pool. There is a disco is the main Bahia Principe shopping complex which is actually quite fun for a resort disco which goes to about 3AM.

One interesting point about this hotel is you will see many raving 5-star reviews here "Privilege Club" members. The Privilege Club is the Bahia Principe version of a timeshare where members pay five-figure USD amounts to get discounts on their stay at Bahia Principe hotels for multiple years. They also get exclusive service that other guests don't get such as a private area of the beach with their own beach bar with better drinks as well as golf-cart transportation anywhere in the hotel. This of course means they have spent a large sum of money for a product with questionable value and locked themselves in for 10-30 years in the process. Unfortunately this may be a case of someone convincing themselves and others that their big ticket purchase is justified and giving this hotel marks that are higher than reasonable.

Room Tip: Building 90, 91, and 92 are closest to the beach. Pool view is best because otherwise you're eit...
3 Thank Alex B
Dear Alex B,

In Bahia Principe Hotel & Resorts we are passionate in serving and exceeding the expectations of our guests. We would like to thank you for your detailed review and for emphasize the aspects we need to improve and increase.

Your comments about the lack of entertainment, will be forwarding to our General Management to analyze it.

Thank you very much for your comments and it is a pleasure to know that you received a good service and your needs were well attended.
Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana.

Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

I and my partner of 3 years decided to go to the Esmeralda for our first holiday together, we knew it was a lovely hotel and beautiful destination but we were completely amazed when we arrived. We instantly met our 'butler' Victor when we arrived and he was fabulous - extremely friendly and welcoming. We arrive back at our room one evening to find a candle lit bath, rose petals and a bottle of champagne curtesy of Victor - we couldn't have thanked him enough.

The hotel itself - stunning.
Beautiful rooms with four poster beds, jacuzzi bath, shower, mini bar, balcony and tv with lots of English/American choices!!
The rooms are cleaned daily and towels changed once or twice a day.
The choice of restaurants is superb! There is the buffet restaurant (Jazmin) which serves amazing food, no cheap crap all gorgeous, tasty and well cooked. We also ate at the Chinese restaurant and steak house - both outstanding. The service at all restaurants/bars/shops etc is top notch - generally better than any service we have received at home. A $1 or $2 tip is extremely appreciated by staff and will go a very long way when it comes to looking after you!!

90% of staff speak good English (their main language is Spanish) which makes chatting to waiters and ordering food/drinks a lot easier.

The grounds are HUGE - there are multiple hotels in the complex which we had access too also ( this is exclusive to Esmeralda guests ) but we generally stayed within our hotel however we did visit the sports bar and theatre for the circus which was breathtaking.
The only thing that we would advise is DO NOT!!!! Go wandering around on the first night, it is very easy to get lost! Every where looks very similar which makes it difficult to get back on track - however staff at the neighbouring hotels will help as much as possible.

There are multiple shops on the complex also - generally pretty expensive as they know most guests are all inclusive, however if you want to go to more reasonably prices shops speak to your rep and they will arrange to do so.

The beach is stunning- clear warm water and white sand, perfect! There are plenty of loungers around the pools and beach so there is no worry about the rush to reserve a spot!

If you can think of it, it's on the complex - children's water park, children's scouts club, lotsssss of pools, restaurants and bars. There is a casino, gym, spa and 24hr doctor also.
As the complex is so large they have shuttle busses running every 5 mins along the main stretch which will take you to everywhere you need with a couple of minutes walk.
You can also flag down a passing golf cart at the reception of the hotels and they will take you wherever needed - a $1 or $2 tip is extremely appreciated.

Unless you are planning an excursion etc there is no reason to leave the complex.

We would highly recommend going on the excursions - we went on the Caribbean Festival; snorkelling with sharks (can't remember what type! They generally ignore you!) an encounter with sting rays, a Caribbean party on the ship followed by snorkelling near the coast - the instructors again are brilliant - speaking many languages, friendly and most of all making you feel safe.

Whilst at the hotel you receive 60mins free wifi per day which is only available in the lobby area; or as we did - you can buy wifi for a selected period of time all fairly priced - we paid $49 for 7 days, for this you get access to wifi everywhere. Staff will assist at setting it up if your struggling however it is pretty simple.

All that is left to say is that we are already planning our return - even though we only got home yesterday! We would highly recommend staying here to anyone and everyone.

Absolutely incredible - thank you to all the staff at the Esmeralda and Thomas Cook rep (Helen)
We look forward to seeing you again very soon!!!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank emmawalton93
Viancagraciano, Customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Emma,

I would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection as you first holiday with your partner, as well as for letting us know about your amazing holiday, we really appreciate your comments and it is a pleasure to know that you will highly recommend us to everyone.

We are aware that our staff is our most important asset, which is why we feel proud and grateful for your compliments on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by our butler Victor ; we have shared with your kind comments as a recognition of his great level of service.

We do hope to have the opportunity to serve you here again at your second Home Bahia Principe Hotels and Resorts, your best hotel.

Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2014

well we got home yesterday and if we could jump on a return flight we would in a heartbeat. we travelled as a family 4 adult and 7 yr old boy. having stayed at sister hotel in Jamaica our expectations were high and this resort did not disappoint on most levels the grounds and hotel are stunning the beach is lovely but rows and rows of beds are far to regimented for my liking no room to move and the sea is a little choppy and to cloudy for snorkelling. the food is fabulous and varied the many restaurants offering a wide selection from all corners of the world our favourites were le gourmet and Bella Italia. the buffet is very good and lots to choose from breakfast is varied and plentiful. Alex is the man to book your trips with and can be found poolside most days. sanoa island. and monster trucks are very good and you get to see the country side try local cuisine and hear about this country and her people. we had adjoining rooms 93018/93019 spacious and well equipped.

Room Tip: ground floor 93018/93019
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank caecoch
Dear client,

We are very glad to know that we have achieved our goal with you. It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed this little piece of heaven.

We thank you for your comments and look forward to welcoming you once again at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda!

Please feel free to contact us prior your next visit, in which we will make sure that you experience one more time the hospitality of our people and the quality and fabulous food.

In the meantime we wish you all the best!!

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Before I went I read some negative reviews on here and all I can say is these people must have been on drugs or went to the wrong resort. The staff are so helpful, always smiling and happy. They will do anything to make your stay that bit more special from the initial booking process to the maids. The variety of food is breath-taking with caviar and fillet steak on the buffet, and jack Daniel’s and bubbly on the bar all included. The room was amazing with a Jacuzzi bath and four poster bed. Mini bar with miniatures of your favourite spirits. There is literally nothing I can say was wrong or could even be improved. I have visited there hotel in Mexico twice before and both are out of this world. To top it all off I only spent $150 (£80) in the week I was there and that was all in tips to staff which they more than deserved. I will defiantly go back soon maybe October ;o)

Room Tip: just email the hotel and they will do there best to accommodate your requests as they did for me.
1 Thank chrisscott666
Dear Chris,

Please allow us to reassure that we are extremely proud to know that you had an amazing week and you loved the experience at our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda. Thank you for acknowledging the friendly, happy and smiling staff, who did anything to make your stay more special.

We will wait for you once again in October at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in Punta Cana.

Newmarket, Canada
Reviewed June 2, 2014

My family and I stayed at this hotel between 21 of May to the 31 of May and we had a blast every single day! It was the staff at this hotel that were truly amazing and made our stay the best vacation ever. We made sure, rain or shine, to attend yoga in the morning with Joel and Mario. These boys make a great team and are so hilarious!.They are also such sweethearts and at the end of our trip we had developed a soft spot for both of them. They made yoga so much fun and truly started out our day completely relaxed. Right after yoga either Mario or Joel would do a dance lesson with us, teaching us all the different dances popular in the Dominican. Joel and Mario are such amazing dancers and they had such patience with us Canadians who's bodies were so stiff coming out of a long winter. We would also meet Joel and Mario at the pool where they would lead us in water aerobics. Joel is so much fun and made everyone feel so important, including everyone in the aerobics class. At night, after dinner, we would meet Joel again at the lobby where there would be various musicians. Joel had so much energy, getting the crowd excited about the performer. He got the audience moving and on their feet, paying attention to everyone that entered the lobby. Who knew so much fun can be had in a hotel lobby! We will truly miss Joel for his always smiling face and Mario for his charming sense of humor. We also have to mention about a certain golf cart driver by the name of Javier, who drove us all over Bahia Principe, helping us to find our brother. He waited with us for two hours making sure we were safe. He even drove us back to our hotel when we finally found him! There is no question the amount of character of the people this hotel has. They made our vacation the best vacation ever!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Abida,

Our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda is proud to know that they have provided you a truly amazing stay and the best vacation ever. Thank you for highlighting our friendly and amazing staff, Joel and Mario will be so proud of this comment.

We are looking forward to seeing you soon, so you can experience one more time an enjoyable and memorable vacation.

Best regards,

Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#88 of 111 in Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!