“Excellent Time at Bahia Principe Esmeralda”

Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #34 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Pleasantville, New York
“Excellent Time at Bahia Principe Esmeralda”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

The time here was better than I expected. I had never stayed at an "all inclusive" before and was not sure what to expect in terms of quality. The Bahia Principe Esmeralda exceeded my expectations in all aspects. This is a smooth running resort with an excellent, professional and genuinely cheerful attitude. I cannot imagine how the stay could have been better. Food, staff, hotel were all top-notch. This is the best resort I have stayed in. They do not know the meaning of the "no". It is "no problem". We had two minor issues which the hotel manager easily and efficiently handled. It left smiles on our faces. This is a smaller , more relaxed hotel than some of the other hotels on site. If you want no stress, this is the place. This was perfect to escape to and slide into a relaxing routine after a trying winter. We ate at the buffets for all dinners and found then to be of high quality, and a large variety of foods to suite different tastes. I Highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: We did not have a beachfront room - but it really didn't matter - we spent most of the time outs...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
socialmedia b, Customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear client,

We do not know how to thank you for this kind of comments. It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we exceeded your expectations providing you an excellent time in all aspects.

Thank you very much for highly recommend us with everybody!!! We really appreciate that.

All-inclusive luxury hotels on the Dominican Republic with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,561)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I spent March 20 to the 27 at this resort. It is part of the bigger resort Bahia Principe. The Esmerelda was fabulous. Very clean rooms, immaculate grounds. The staff work very hard.
The food at the 2 buffets and the 4 a la carte restaurants we tried was very good.
The beach had lots of chairs and palapas. The pools were immaculate although we never used them, we prefer the beach for the breeze.
The only negative I have is only 1 hour of free WiFi a day in the lobby and it has to be consecutive and needs more soundproofing between the rooms that have a connecting door.
My sister and I were in building 93 in front of the quieter of the pools.
I would highly recommend the Esmerelda and will return.

Room Tip: Building 93 and 95 are near the quieter smaller pool. No elevator so if you have trouble with stairs...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Louise L
Dear Louise,

It is an honor to know that you enjoyed a fabulous great stay at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda and you loved this experience, and to read that you would highly recommend our Resort. At Bahia Principe our goal is to make your stay become an unforgettable experience and we are proud to see we got with you.

It will be a pleasure to cater you once again and continue demonstrating you our commitment to excellence.

Regards from Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana.

New Glasgow, Canada
Reviewed April 5, 2014

this was our 4th trip to the esmerelda,and once again we were not disappointed!! the service,the grounds,the food, and the personal attention to our group,keep us coming back year after year.my thanks to all our friends at the esmerelda for making our stay enjoyable!Ramone you are the best! charlie at the desk..thank you so much for all youre help with everything! and the esmerelda has got a excellent waitress at the bar,SANDRA you are a gem!! we look forward to seeing you every year!already looking forward to next year!!

Room Tip: any room facing pool is great!they are all pretty close to the beach,building 90-93 is the closest
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear client,

It is a pleasure to our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda family knowing that we have provided you another excellent vacation in your 4th trip.

We will wait for you to continue providing the greatest experiences.

Toronto, ON
Reviewed April 4, 2014

My husband and I went to Esmeralda from Mar 27th-April 3rd for a relaxing week at a nice resort. I had read the reviews and this sounded like the resort we were looking for. We got exactly what we wanted!

This is a well run resort where the staff and management are there to ensure that their guests have a great time and want to return again and again.

The resort is run like clockwork. The General Manager was walking around the resort every day checking on things here and there and was eating at the restaurants. The staff take pride in their work and pay attention to detail.

SERVICE: Great! The staff was attentive and the few times we needed help with something specific it was handled quickly, efficiently and with great care. The wait staff, the baggage handlers, the cleaning staff, the groundskeepers, Joel the pool manager, Richard Morales the hotel manager, the ladies who do the deep tissue massages at the spa... everybody really did their job well and took pride in their work.

FOOD: The food was average but this is to be expected. There were always a few things we liked enough to have at the buffet everyday, you will not go hungry here! Takara (the Japanese a la carte restaurant at Esmeralda) was surprisingly good. Do not skip it, it will likely be the best food you will have at the resort. The food at Arrecife (snack bar overlooking the beach) was quite good at lunch buffet time. If you ask nicely, Jesus (the gentleman manning the grill) will put your fish and mussels back on the grill and add some lime, salt, garlic oil and parsley and make it extra special. Tip him a dollar or two and he will treat you like royalty all week and bring the freshest seafood from the back just to grill it for you.

Cleanliness: I am very picky about cleanliness and this place is spotless at all times. Be it the rooms, the pool area, the restaurants, the lobby or even the beach, there is staff cleaning everywhere at all times.

Location: Esmeralda is the closest to the beach of all the Bahia Principe complex in Punta Cana.

All in all, this place gets an A+ on hospitality. The only reason I did not give Esmeralda 5 stars is bc the bed was not all that comfortable and the linens were not as soft as at other resorts we've stayed, neither were the bath towels. I expected a bit better from a Luxury resort.

We will definitely return to this resort and stay at Esmeralda. We have recommended it to friends and family already as well!

Room Tip: We were in Block 95 (one of the newer blocks). It was great. A few steps from the Lobby, a few steps...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sungoddess80
socialmedia b, Customer service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Dear client,

We are very proud to know that we have provided you the relaxing week that you´ve dreamed about. Thank you for mentioning our professional and hard work staff, who made you feel we pay attention to details and care about our guests.

Thank you for your comments and for recommending us!!

Enjoy an all-inclusive holiday as a couple with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts

Regards from the Caribbean!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 4, 2014

I just got back from a week-long stay and travelled with family.

The Good...

Food: we tried a couple of a la carte restaurants and the favourite was Don Pablo-the service was great, the atmosphere was really nice and the food was delicious. It gets booked fast so book your restaurants when you arrive. Many of them didnt have availability in the 7 days we were there.
Buffet restaurants were the best i've been to in any resort. They always had a variety of meat, seafood and veg options and have special nites where they feature seafood, sushi, meat, etc. The service was good. I really liked the Geranios buffet by the pool-very nice feel to it. Even the 'Snack Bar' by the beach has a lot of variety and great food-its like a mini buffet.

Beach: the beach is beautiful and is well taken care of. The Esmeralda side is extremely crowded-the chairs are one on top of the other. We stayed at the Ambar beach, which was much less crowded and quieter (adults only), but was a 5min beach walk to esmeralda. If you want front row seats, you have to get to the beach as early as 7am bc they get reserved with towels as early as that.

Rooms: rooms are spacious and were kept very clean. We had a problem with our TV and phone when we arrived, but that got fixed as soon as we brought it up.

Check in: our rooms weren't ready when we arrived (check in is at 3pm, we arrived at noon), but they got them ready before 3pm.

The Not So Good...
(ie things that are unacceptable in a 5-star resort)

PROFESSIONALISM (WORST EXPERIENCE OF ALL)

PHOTOGRAPHER: they offer a photography service where you can get a photoshoot for an hour at the beach/grounds and then if you like the photos, purchase them. It starts at $10/picture and you have to spend at least $100. There is no obligation to buy the photos after the shoot.
I asked if i could break my hour shoot into 2 30min sessions: one in the morning and one in the evening for different lighting. They said yes. I did the morning session for about 35-40min until has camera battery died (he forgot to charge the camera). In the afternoon I did the second shoot for 10min. My budget was $100. The photos turned out beautiful and I picked out my 10 photos. When I was done, the photographer (his name was Christian), started to give me BIG attitude by saying that he couldn't believe I "Wasted 2 HOURS of his time and am ONLY getting 10 photos'. When i told him i would take 15min to grab my key and get the money, he condescendingly told me that he wasn't going to wait for me for 15 min to sell me 10 photos. I asked if i could pay his assistant (who is there all nite), to which he had even more attitude and told me that he didnt know if i'd be back. In the end, i decided not to get the photos bc of his terrible attitude and customer service. I let his assistant know in the evening i wasn't going to purchase them.
The following day, he saw me in the lobby, came up to me without saying hello and HARASSED ME by asking what i plan to do with the pictures. When i told him that i wasn't gonna get them, he thanked me for wasting his time AGAIN and THREATENED me by saying that I will 'remember him'.
If you want pictures done, they will be beautiful, but beware of this photographer-he is arrogant, acts like he is doing you a favour and just wants your money. There are other photographers in the Ambar and Punta Cana side that you can use if you don't want to go with him. I hope this kind of thing never happens to anyone again.

SERVICE

One time at lunch, i was served tomato juice that went bad. Luckily, i did not get sick.

TENNIS: you have to make a reservation for tennis courts. We made our first one at guest services desk for 5:30pm. When we got there they told us that we could only reserve on the hour so we had to wait until 6pm (thats when they had us down). The second time we reserved through guest services, our reservation was not there AT ALL when we got to the courts.

TRAM RIDE: this is the only resort I know of that uses fuel-powered trams on hotel grounds. The gas smell is really bad when you are riding it for 5-10min, especially for kids. .

SPA: i had a deep tissue massage and a facial. Both therapists did a good job, but it was very robotic-perform the service and move on to the next. There was a smile on the face, but it wasn't genuine.The products they used for the facial were very low-quality, full of toxic chemicals. For a 5-star resort, I expect skincare products that are free from toxic chemicals.

Room Tip: If you dont have kids and dont mind a short walk on the beach, stay on the Ambar beach-way less crow...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Caitlin2245
Dear Caitlin,

Thank you for your feedback and find worth to mention the good aspects such as the best food at the buffet, very clean rooms and the beautiful beach.

I apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced. Even though you feel a bad breath with this unfortunate situation, we are seriously committed to the achievement of our guests' satisfaction, because your opinion is one of our top priorities and we do not want you to have a mistaken perception from us.

For this reason, we really hope to consider coming back to this Caribbean paradise in the Dominican Republic and enjoy all our facilities and services.

Kind regards,

Bradford West Gwillimbury, Canada
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Returned 2 weeks ago from a vacation at the Esmeralda. My wife and I have done the Caribbean all inclusive thing many times. I would have to say that the Esmeralda is easily the nicest hotel we have ever stayed at. As many people have claimed in their reviews the grounds, the restaurants, the beaches, the rooms, they are all pristine. I watched them use floor polishers regularly on the outside walkways! I have never felt so comfortable walking barefoot.
STAFF: The people working at this hotel are very responsive. The managers are constantly overseeing and pushing the staff and making sure that guests meals and drinks are brought quickly. If it were not for the constant vigilance of the managers I think this hotel would not rank as highly as it does. English is not understood by all staff members beyond a rudimentary level but who cares. Managers were much better. We got into several in depth discussions with wait staff only to discover they had no concept what we were talking about. Like nice people the world over they will continue to nod and smile long after the thread has been lost.
BEACH and POOL: The beach at Esmeralda is pristine. Chairs are clean and plentiful. Yes the towel game is played but it's up to you whether you want to play or not. At the time we went we realized that there were always plenty of choices for chairs at the beach so we could find a chair whenever we wanted after breakfast. The pool is a different matter. You will probably need to get up and place your towel on a chair early in the morning to reserve a seat here. There are placards on each of the chairs saying not to do this but everyone ignores them and does anyway. What we found awful was that people were reserving chairs on both the sunny side and the shady side of the pool at the same time. They would use the chairs on one side then when the sun moved they would switch seating to their alternate reserved chairs in the afternoon. This is a level of refinement to the towel/chair game that we were unused to. We thought these people were being selfish and management needs to crack down on this.
ROOMS: Always clean and nicely decorated with 4 poster beds. Multiple pillow choices are available. We slept GREAT. AC was quiet and efficient. My wife took the time to get a room that faced the pool area by the Geranio Buffet Restaurant. This was worth the effort. All tastes are different but we liked being on the top floor (3rd) and overlooking the pool. The view was spectacular. Our initial room overlooked a service road which was dismal. Many of the rooms facing away from the pool look across at other rooms or are views of assorted trees. If we go back we will ask for the pool view again.
TIPPING: We left tips for the maids and waitstaff and bartenders but in truth it made no difference to the level of service we received. We were treated reasonably well by everyone. In my opinion the tips are not as critical as other reviewers have claimed. You can leave your money at home. Of course why not reward service you really appreciate? Up to you.
FOOD: This topic is always contentious at all inclusive resorts. How can you possibly review something as personal in preference as food? From my point of view the food was good. Not excellent, but good. A solid 70% grading. Whether you went to the a la carts or the buffet the food was decent. Yes the hot dishes should be hotter. Yes the general condition of all food was somewhat undercooked. Pizzas in particular are flabby, have no baked crustiness, and are not worth eating. Meat on the other hand was always tender and done just right. Desserts are on the level of most Chinese Buffet Restaurants (Canadians reading this will know what I mean). They are flavourless, mass produced and can easily be skipped resulting in massive savings of calories. The starters though were excellent. Heck they even had caviar at every breakfast. The a la carte restaurants must be used in order to break up the monotony of the buffets. We punctuated our stay with 3 a la carte choices with the Don Pablo and Le Gourmet being our two favourites. We booked in advance of our trip by email and they inexplicably honoured our Don Pablo choice but not the other. No reason to panic just go to the service desk and sign yourself up. We took a shot at one of the oriental restaurants and just walked in. They asked if we had a reservation. We said no but were sick of eating at the buffet. They booked us immediately. I mean whats the worst that can happen if you walk in? They might have a cancellation. Again far too much panic was made of the topic of booking restaurants in previous reviews. If you are flexible on dates and times and restaurant choices you will do fine. One tip with the a la carte places. Skip any buffet they have inside the restaurant and order from the menu. Any buffet items they have you will recognize from the massive buffet restaurants.
FOOD NOTE: I became sick one day from something I ate. I travel a lot so becoming sickened by food is hardly new to me. I was out of commission for 12 hours. If it were not for this event I would have given the Esmeralda even higher ratings. I have noticed a few of the other reviews mentioning food borne illness. Visiting the Dominican even 15 years ago this was far more common than it is now, but even now it can happen. Bring your Imodium and I hope it does not happen to you. Anyway I recovered and did not let it ruin my vacation.
EVENING ENTERTAINMENT: If you eat too early at an all inclusive you kind of have a dead zone of a few hours before you can go to bed. There was entertainment at the auditorium which was passable. We watched an overly loud tribute to Michael jackson which was fine. There was a travelling piano bar. One night we listened to a saxophonist at the Adults Only resort. This resort is huge so remember that you can walk around and see what is happening at other hotel lobbies beside the Esmeralda. Just the walk alone each evening will help kill quite a bit of time.
TENNIS and MINI PUT: The tennis courts are very nice. The mini put is so difficult that it was clearly designed by someone that had never actually played mini put. The clubs and balls are free and are doled out but two young men sitting in the park by the mini put. No signs indicate this. If you have kids they will quickly become bored because the course is impossible. We did not go to the water park but watching the kids as we walked by it looked just amazing.
COFFEE: The standard coffee served will be strong if you like weak american style restaurant coffee. If you drink Starbucks it will be fine. If you like cream with your coffee good luck. They know what it is, but they will not get it for you. I can hardly blame them. The staff, particularly at meal time, is under real pressure to perform and running to the kitchen for cream is a thankless task. You might have some luck asking for evaporated milk. If you are up early go down to the lobby and use the fully automated coffee machine. It uses fresh whole bean coffee and makes some of the best espresso I have ever had on vacation. Sometimes there can be a real lineup here.
BARS: Lots of booze. Only one kind of beer but it is fine. Drink as much as you want. Bring bubba cups they will gladly fill them. The buffet wine is also drinkable. Both the red and the white. Best we have had at an all inclusive. The bubbly is good too but make sure it is extra cold. Your bar fridge will be stocked every day. Its free. Help yourself.
Anyway in spite of my illness I would still have to rate the Esmeralda highly. People here really do care. They want you to have fun and be comfortable. Good luck with your choice and have a great time if you go.

2 Thank Goldlevel
Dear Customer,

We thank you for taking the time of sharing your detail feedback with others on TripAdvisor which we will take in the highest consideration. On the other hand, there are various factors that may contribute to illness, such as climate, temperature variation, combination of food and beverages, excessive sun exposure, personal reactions, among others.

Allows us inform you that on those days and taking into account the high occupancy, we cannot conclude that our hotel is the causative of your illness. We follow a very strict hygiene, quality and security program monitored by the international company Cristal.

Thank you for your observations, which plays a key role in our continuous process of improvement and lead us to achieve our commitment to excellence.

We are always at your disposal in anything you need and hope you come back to this special place.

Chessy, France
Reviewed April 4, 2014

If you're looking for a perfect, relaxing, luxury resort in the area, Esmeralda is for you. Wonderful bedrooms, high service, gorgeous gardens, incredible pools, great bars. You'll have the time of your life.
Eliane and Patrick from France

Room Tip: All good and great, but if you prefer a quiet room, ask to be far from the pool.
1 Thank egilet
Dear Eliane and Patrick,

We are very glad to know that we have achieved our goal with you. It is wonderful to read that this the place where you can have the time of your life.

We thank you for your comments and look forward to welcoming you once again at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda!

In the meantime we wish you all the best!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#87 of 112 in Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!