Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #34 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Montreal, Canada
“Good overall”
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

Had previously stayed in the Punta Cana section of this resort 3 years ago and had enjoyed the stay. Could not think of a single thing to complain about last time.

This time around, I was travelling with 12 other family members.
Arrived by bus for airport at the Punta Cana lobby, and there is no way to go directly to the Esmeralda lobby, so we all had to take shuttles/trolley to the Esmeralda section of the this resort. Because of the large size of our party, and the other arriving guests, it took a few minutes to get the carts, load baggage and people.

Arriving at the Esmeralda resort, we were escorted to the lobby bar area, where the we were asked to sit and the staff would return in a minute to give us the room keys, towel cards, etc. We were all given a welcome drink.
The next hour was a comedy routine of unorganized bedlam.
The staff came with packages of room keys calling names, and every once in awhile they hit on a name of our party or someone else that was also arriving. Then they went back , got more and went through the routine again. When we got our packages with our names on it, they took them away to see if the rooms were available. If your room was ready, you got your package with the keys back and a bracelet was attached to our wrists. Although we were relaxing in a chair outside and able to get some drinks from the bar, it really did take about an hour.

Once we got into the room, it was excellent, but my view was overlooking a utility building. The room was large, clean, well stocked every day. The maids did a great job cleaning, and the doing towel art. They were friendly and turned down the bed nightly, leaving chocolates. The TV had bad reception on some channels, and no sound on some channels. I thought it was satellite issue, but after a few days I took a look at the cable connection, and the connector at the TV was badly done. Touching it lost what signal I had. I reported it early in the day and they said they would send someone. When I returned at the end of the afternoon, nothing had changed. When I returned to the front desk they had no record of it. I pointed out the employee that I had reported it to, and then they said they would have someone come soon. The tech came within the next hour and suddenly I had all the channels, with great picture and sound.

Beach Is beautiful, with lots of shade available, but crowded.

Restaurants- Food was good, but reservations for A la cartes were difficult to get as hotel was at 100% capacity. Some of our party were turned away at the buffets because it was full, and asked to go to other buffet. Garden Grill was excellent.

At checkout , moving everyone and luggage back from the Esmeralda to Punta Cana lobby is again a bit of a logistical exercise, but it does work.

Payed the weekly fee for the internet ($49) and the speed was good, reliable, and worked throughout the resort (even the beach) !

Overall little annoyances, but a great vacation.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MarkGibson
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Mark,

We greatly appreciate you have taken the time to post a review. All your observations have been treated with great consideration.

We are sorry for any difficulties encountered during your stay in our hotel.

Rest assured that we are already looking forward to have you with us again in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, all-inclusive hotels in Punta Cana.

Kind regards,

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,561)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Before anything we are still in the resort but con not wait to go home and write my review. The resort is huge becuase it is not only esmeralda but many others.if you need to do activities you need to walk long distance or wait for their train and waste time but if you have kids you have to.the room was good just need some maintence work as some parts are falling or not working.if you wish to sleep more than 8am is not going to happened as the housekeeping team will walk you up from talking outside yuor door and too loud and same in the evening from the walki talki.room cleaning is not good if this is a five star hotel and day 1 we did not get any service.location is good as we are in building 95 close to pool and lobby.we have to fix our room card almost everyday so far as it was not working..I will put more as I get chance

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank massery
Dear Customer,

Thank you for bringing to our attention these comments. We would like to take this opportunity to extend our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay at our hotel.

We are seriously devoted to value our customer´s feedback. For this reason, we kindly ask you to contact our Guest Service Department in order to analyze the situation you pointed out.

Best regards,

Florence, Toscana, Italy
Reviewed December 5, 2013

This is long-overdue, but I had to take the time to review the staff of the Principe Esmerelda. I traveled with a trip of over 100 people in March of 2013, and I cannot say enough about how friendly and thoughtful the staff was toward our group. From the front desk to the wait staff to the management services, they were so helpful and accommodating to our needs.

The restaurant reservation policy was tough at times (most often, you needed to make reservations in advance and couldn't walk in to the many sit-down restaurants), but the staff members did all they could to find ways to make it work. I'd definitely recommend a stay here!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dinabosco
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Dear Dina,

We are delighted to know that our personal attention made you feel that we really cared about you and the group you travelled with. This is what is allowing us to make a difference in each guest's experience and motivates us to continue striving towards excellence.

Looking forward to cater you again for your next holiday at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana…

See you soon!!

Customer Service
Geneseo, Illinois
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed at The Esmeralda from 11/24-12/1, we are a family of 4 with kids ages 12 & 9, and we have traveled to 15 other all-inclusive resorts in Mexico, Jamaica and The Dominican Republic so we have some experience with resorts and locations. I will start off my saying that we had a very nice relaxing vacation and we have no real big complaints about our stay. I will comment on some of the things others have posted about and add our 2 cents in as well. The resort complex is very large with the other hotels combined, The Esmeralda portion is a very nice small size resort in itself, quaint is how I would describe it. I am pretty sure the resort was full the week we were there, there were people everywhere! I had e-mailed prior to leaving for dinner reservations and for room location preference, neither of them were honored. I understand they are busy and such so it was a real deal breaker for me but it was a little upsetting especially since it seems like most other travellers had their requests granted. We were in building 91 on the ground floor facing the roadway where all the carts, workers, trucks and construction traffic travel, we had no view of anything which doesn't matter to some but does to others. We were not in the room a whole lot so we were okay with the location. I had asked for a room on an upper floor facing into the resort. The room was very nice, it had 2 double beds, a couch, 3 chairs, one dresser with 3 drawers in it and a nightstand with a drawer. The bathroom was large with double sinks, shower, and jacuzzi tub. The mini bar was stocked daily with Pepsi products ( YEAH ), water, juice, beer, and some rum or vodka mini's. One thing I would suggest that I had seen before I left was to take a power strip if you are taking phones, computers, electronic gadgets. There are not many outlets in the room and we were constantly plugging and unplugging our things to get things charged up, with 4 of us we had many gadgets! We basically are pool people and spent the majority of time at the main pool by the lobby. The towel game is going strong at this resort, we were up and at the pool by 9 daily and most days we could not find a chair in the shade at all. We sat next to a couple 2 days in a row who put their items on 3 chairs so no one would be next to them, and they had an umbrella although they pulled their loungers out into the sun, VERY frustrating when we needed some shade! Spent one day at the other pool but the construction noise kept people away and it was quite boring. Once that new building is up and running there is definitely going to be a shortage of room at both pools when the resort is full. The beach is gorgeous and there are plenty of chairs and shade at the beach, most days these were pretty full as well. There was no drink service at the pool the whole time we were there, I don't know if this is normal or not, but a resort of this caliber I expected drink service. We had breakfast daily at The Jasmin and it was good with the usual breakfast offerings, lunch daily was at the beach cafe which is outdoors and they had many offerings and everyone always found something they liked to eat. We had sent reservation request for dinners but they were not received or not provided. We ate the buffet 3 nights and had reservations for 4 of our nights. The Mexican restaurant was not a big hit with the family, the margarita when entering was delicious and the best part of the meal sorry to say. We went to the Maiko Japanese show table and the food was very good, the cook was either new or nervous or drunk, we couldn't decide which! He asked silly questions over and over again and kept yelling and clapping his hands. Two couples got up and left ASAP and then dessert wasn't offered but we had to move to another table in another area if we wanted it, so we left as well. The Takara was suppose to be an Asian influence restaurant, it was literally awful. Not one of us ate our meal and we immediately went to the buffet, along with other people who we saw in the restuarant. Maybe just a bad night, I don't know. The Garden Grill was the best of the places that we went to. Everyone enjoyed their meals and the choices were many with the appetizer buffet being a HUGE hit! My well done filet came with blood running out of it all over my plate, but besides that it was fine. The staff was friendly and nice, the grounds were beautiful and very clean. It is a very nice resort, and I would recommend it to others, it was family friendly with many children there and strollers all over the place. We would possibly return without the kids and try the Amber side. Some thoughts overall:

Towels-you are given beach towels in your room, you can exchange once daily so there are no towel card UNLESS they are out of towels which happened 2 days while we were there. The towels were given to you in a pile, not folded nice or separated which seemed a little unorganized. The towels are not large enough to cover the lounge chairs so 1 towel seems like not enough when the lounge chairs are metal and if you sit or lay on it without a towel covering it you will get burned after the chair has been in the sun all day.

Dishes-I have never had to take the plates from our table and stack them up myself to make room on our dining table. The dirty/used plates and bowls were not picked up from the tables very quickly at all. Not enough workers in the buffets, this happened at all the buffets for all meals.

Ice-you have a nice fridge, drinks to be mixed, ice bucket and NO where to get ice? Have to call room service or guest services to get ice for your room. I am a self service person, I am happy to get myself ice, why is there no ice machines for guests use? It would save on manpower if guests could get it themselves.

We went ziplining with Bavaro Runners and it was an AWESOME time! They picked us up at 7:45 and we were back to the resort by 1 p.m. You get to see lots of countryside on the way and it is such a fun outing and very safe!

Happy to answer any questions if you have any, we had a very nice family vacation at The Esmeralda!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
11 Thank orrn1991
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear Customer,

We do not know how to thank you for this kind of comments. It is a pleasure to read that you had a very relaxing vacation at our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda.

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any inconveniences you may have experienced during your stay.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you once again in our Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Punta Cana.

Kindest regards,

Albany
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Initially, we were booked at the Punta Cana, but due to a delayed in our flight we lost our room. We were welcomed by Nairobi Santos, and she was very helpful updating our reservation to the Esmeralda. At the Esmeralda, the staff, Martina, was friendly and courteous. Each day when returning to our room, we had a pleasurable experience because Natividad kept our room clean and beautifully decorated with flowers and balloons.
We tasted the food from the Jazmin, the Geranios, the Snack Arrecifes, and the Bella Italia. We enjoyed delicious foods and drinks. Our dinner at the Bella Italia was especially memorable. The food was outstanding and our server, Benjamin was attentive and committed to make us have a great time. Finally, we enjoyed a barbeque dinner served by Maria. The atmosphere was fun: Bachata, Merengue, Mama Juana, marine breeze and great meat.
In general, the Grand Bahia Principe Esmeralda is a great place to stay. We were at village 96000. It was located close to the Esmeralda Lobby and one minute from the beach. A word of caution, the hotel is expanding, and there is construction that could be a pain depending on the location of the room. However, if you ask to have a quiet room, the staff is very accommodating. Although the Grand Bahia Principe is a mega resort the Esmeralda is a relative quiet place.
This hotel is a paradise for the beach lovers! Powdered beach and blue warm sea! We had a great time.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Emilsen S
Dear Emilsen,

It is a pleasure to our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda family knowing that we have provided you a lovely vacation, thank you for mentioning our clean rooms, beautiful beach, great food and drinks and excellent staff.

We would like to cater you once again and continue providing the greatest experiences.

All-inclusive luxury hotels on the Dominican Republic with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed December 3, 2013

We stayed at the resort from during the last week of november, weather was great - warm and sunny all feel long.
Check in was one of the worst I have seen, 40 people sitting in the lobby while a staff member yelled out names, gave out envelopes and a paper to fill out. No orientation whatsoever (rooms, restaurants, guest services) - whole process took 45 minutes.
We were in room 95201 wich was pretty close to what I had requested so I was happy, but since we were in front the construction site, if you sat on the balcony you could here all the construction till 11.00pm.
My restaurant reservation requests were pretty close to what I had asked for so we were pretty happy, Food was ok, nothing bad, just ok - best meal we had was at bella Italia as for the others, they were fine. Service at restaurant was very spotty, one night good they other night bad.

The beach was, well crowded!!!! good luck finding a spot and same goes with the pool area. Both set ups are great as the sand in soft and the water clear blue, pool area festive and relaxing at the same time, but man the people!!!

Room was nice with a modern bathroom. Ac worked great and kept us cool. Housekeeping forgot the make the room one day and had to request to room be made up during dinner. Left some moneyt with notes of what we would have liked in the minibar (juice, extra water, beer), worked once during the week. Then the rest of the time they took the money but not the request. At one point I asked the head maid for some beer because the fridge had none "sorry sir we are out of beer, maybe tomorrow" !!!

Kids water park was great and the kids had fun all week really nice set up for the small ones. Even had hotdogs and drinks if they got hungry. The only problem is that it takes forever to get there - you have to take 2 trams 20/30 minutes - furthers area of the resorts.

Tram system is very slow - be ready to wait and waste time

Butler service - None existent - never called or introduced himself - zero contact. No big deal I can take care of things myself, just frustrating that they advertise something and I pay for it but did not get the service.

Check out was smooth and fast.

The big issue moving forward for this resort is that it is already operating beyond it's capacity, the staff seem to work really hard and are doing there best, but I feel management is pushing the envelope on what the resort can handle. The pool, beach, a la carte restaurants are all too crowded. With the addition of ANOTHER 70 rooms slated for december that will put extra pressure on the facilities and the staff that are already maxed out - my predictions is after the new block of rooms are done, watch the rating drop for the hotel to the mid to high teens by next year.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank icon5
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate that you take the time to send us your comments regarding your experience during your recent stay with us. Our main goal strives in having a great ambiance to satisfy our guests' requirements; we regret very much that we were not able to fulfill your expectations.
Please allow us to clarify that despite the size of our Resort, appropriate measures have been taken in order to ensure guest satisfaction and expected quality of each of our services.

Please feel assured that your observations have been taken into great consideration and your comments have been share with the General Management to analyze the points you mentioned.

Best regards,

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 3, 2013

The food, the service, and the staff were all fantastic - buffets surpassed expectations, restaurants were great too. Staff/service were very attentive always with a smile. We stayed at the Esmeralda - which was right on the beach. Being an American - there were mostly foriegners at this resort (timeshare?)- Russians - who are not the friendliest people in the world - very pushy and cold - that was my only issue.

Room Tip: My boyfriend and I would have liked to share a bed but we were given 2 barely full-sized beds - not...