Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #31 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Shediac, Canada
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

The Esmeralda was simply amazing! The best I have been to so far. The food was amazing the deserts were amazing the rooms were amazing.
Enough said?
Had access to 8 a la cart and was able to go wearing shorts. What an amazing resort. The only bad thing about it was that i gained a few pounds.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank Manny D
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Manny,

We greatly appreciate that you praised our food. It is a pleasure to learn that you were delighted with our gastronomic offer and the amazing services provided in our hotel, the best you have been so far.

We hope to welcome you in the near future in our premises to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities.

Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,535)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Awesome place to stay. The grounds are well-maintained, especially the beach area. By taking a walk down the beach you can tell right away that Gran Bahia's attention to detail far surpasses the neighbouring resorts. Friendly staff, great food, clean, good entertainment at night. Esmeralda is worth the extra money if you value being right on the beach and having access to additional higher end a la cartes. The rooms are also slightly larger. Check-in and check out was flawless, rooms are clean and spacious. I travelled with my girlfriend and this was our first time in Punta Cana - we were both so happy with our choice of Esmeralda. Definitely looking forward to returning!

Room Tip: Staying at Esmeralda ensures you will be close to the beach.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Ryan B
Dear Ryan,

It is wonderful to read that our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda attention fulfill your expectations. We would like to thank you for acknowledging our friendly staff, great food, and good entertainment.

It will be delightful to welcome you once again and provide you the most spectacular experiences in Punta Cana.

Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Kind greetings,

NY
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We've been there from May 15 to 23. The whole complex is very big (too big),- Punta Cana 1200 rooms, Bavaro -700, Esmeralda-510 and Ambar -700. I'll start with the feedback for the management (they've asked for, but did not bother to distribute any questionare) and then for the rest of travelers.

A. For the management:
1. Why it is possible to exchange towels only once a day? And why if this happens to be after 5pm, there is no towels available? This is what you call "luxury resort"?
2. Why there is no card system with the towels and you've to drug them to your room every day?
3. All "action" (pool or beach) concentrated near Punta Cana pool. But there is no place in resort where you can find out about schedule of activities. So, why don't you distribute together with show schedule (which is incorrect, BTW, all shows start 9.30-9.45pm in Tropicana) the schedule and place of all other activities?
4. Half of the service staff in buffet is very poor trainined and they can come 4-5 times to ask "Cafe?", but if you prefer tea - good luck getting it!
5. The show announcers (and some animation team) are extremely vulgar, their jocks are offensive and if you over 35 they would be funny only to rednecks. They also, periodically, very rude to watchers and, in my view need to be replaced with someone with more taste. After all this is not necessary spring break crowd.
6. We happen to visit Punta Cana buffet and I wonder why there is no tea of coffe service in there, but you have to go outside to lobby in order to get hot drink? I've never seen such idiotcy!
7. The food selection is huge, but why there is no avocados, bananos, kiwis? There are not exactly rare and exotic fruits/vegetables!
8. You attempt to cater to multilanguage clientelle, which is fine; but whatever you write in English (what is "standers"?) or in Russian is written with so many mistakes that is really should be embarrassing for the large organization. (FYI- you've at least one employee at resort- Oleg, he is native Russian speaking and also Spanish & English his second and thrid language. You can consult him regarding Russian part)
9. The reseption guy (his name starts with E and he is quite big) is simply not nice and should be assign to gardener duty (this way he would not have to interact with people, he is absolutely is not capable of)

B. And now for the rest:

1. The resort is very nice, taken care of, well maintained
2. The food selection is admirable and quality is not bad
3. The rooms are pretty large and also mostly very nice
4. The beach....Well you can walk for hours (about 6.5 miles), there is no need to wake up at 6a.m to get the sunbed under the palapa- there is 13 rows of them.
5. There is constant wind, which makes it very pleasant - you don't feel heat at all.
However, there is one big minus (at least for me)- the waves. It is very hard to sweam in the ocean, but if you like to stand in the water with Wall-Mart mug, the waves are not big enough to bother you.
6. The service, to say it politely,- extremely uneven,- sometime you'll get smile and plesant experience and some other times you'll be treated as intruder...
I suggest to pre-request the seatdown restorants, but first concentrate on Esmerald & Ambar restourants not Punta Cana & Bavaro, where not only service is worse, but the food is also lower quality.
Oriental- I've liked it very much.
Bella Italia- 8. The food was so-so.
Gourmet- Don Pablo. I suggest to avoid it, it was the worst.
El Olivo- very nice!
I doubt we'll go back there- it seems that beach in front of Majestic is less windy and definetly less waves, so we might try it next time! (This is beach next to Ambar- about 5-10 min walking to the left)

Room Tip: building 90 is closest to the beach
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mark4k
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Mark,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate all feedback.

We hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity to welcome you once again at our hotel and that way be able to change any misperception you may have.

Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This was our best holiday ever and there have been some rely good ones but the hotel was immaculate from the grounds to the rooms. Fantastic choice of food and drinks and staff were brilliant nothing was to much trouble cannot wait to go back

• Stayed May 2013
5 Thank MaggieMoo59
Dear Maggie,

We are very pleased you enjoyed the all-inclusive program with our fantastic food and drinks choices. We are proud to learn that in our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda you have had an out of this world experience. At Bahia Principe our goal is to make your vacation become an unforgettable experience

Thank you for your comments and we are looking forward to welcome you in the near future!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This review is to let you know that Butler Milfi's service was excellent.the hotel service on the whole was very good.

The food was good and plenty, swimming pools were kept safe and clean. WiFi was a bit of an issue.
Dot joshua

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Dorita,

For all the Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda team is a pleasure to know that we have provided you a great and beautiful stay. We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed your holidays thanks to our rich gastronomy, as well as the good service from our employees, especially Milfi, who will be delighted to hear about your comments.

Looking forward to seeing you next year at Punta Cana!

Île-Perrot, Quebec, Canada

Hi everyone,

so after a few years of research I finally visited the Gran Bahia Principe Esmeralda between May 5th to May 12 2013. The hotel was beautiful and exactly as I expected but there were a few staffing issues and inconsistencies that I will mention first as I would like for the hotel to read them as they seem very interested in handing out Trip Advisor cards.

1) Towel exchange guy working at the pool next villa 95 is beyond rude. As me and my cousin approached the hut, we heard him insulting us to the lady sitting at the table which has items for sale. Me and my cousin are overweight and we heard him saying in spanish "Mira, cuatro Mujeres" which translates too, "Look 4 women". When we finally got the the hut, he didn't speak English well and so I made an effort to speak to him in spanish. God forbid that in my kindness I conjugated a word wrong, where he then proceeded to mock me and teach me the correct word. Fine, yet as we walked away, I again heard him mocking my mistake to the lady. Firstly, your staff should respect each and every guest whatever their shape, size, or ethnicity. Furthermore, the should also have the intelligence to keep their mouth shut within hearing distance of the guests they feel like insulting as clearly they do not know which languages they speak. I am in fact half spanish so how stupid to insult someone who can understand you. Moreover, your staff should be grateful that the guests are trying to communicate with them in their native language instead of mocking whatever small mistakes they may make in their effort.

2) The man answering the room service calls during my week there was always the same unpleasant fellow. When he answers the phone in spanish and you ask him whether he speaks english, he always responds with "what do you want" or "what is it" in such a rude voice. None of those responses are acceptable in a motel, never mind a 5 star hotel. On are last day at Esmeralda, our toilet bowel was overflowing, we had someone come to our room to fix it. Then at 11h30 pm the toilet was overflowing again. When calling room service, I got the usual "what do you want". After explaining the situation, i was told someone would come by once room service had spoken to the janitor. After a few minutes I noticed the toilet was flooding the floor and so I called back to simply advice them that the floor was flooding so the situation was quite urgent. Again, the room service guy was beyond rude, telling me that I had to give him time to speak with the janitor to which I simply responded "listen i'm giving you a courtesy call to let you know your hotel room is flooding, if you don't care, no problem", i was promised a janitor and cleaner, only the janitor came.

Inconsistencies: Not all guests are getting the same treatment. My parents traveled to Esmeralda ten days before me and was given their welcome gift (a t-shirt each and a small bottle of rum) but when we arrived, nothing was in our room. When I went to guest services, they seemed surprised yet I then met many people who had also gotten nothing. It seems when guests arrive and the rooms are being made ready in a haste, that is when the mistakes happen. Furthermore, some people get fruits, bubble baths, some meet their Butler and are advised of the pillow menu and services and some don't. These inconsistencies can lead some guests to feel as though they are not as appreciated as others.

Now on to happier moments, the hotel rooms are beautiful, yes the bed is hard but quite comfortable and I slept like a baby. The maids are very good and everyday your fridge is stocked and bathroom items replenished (we did tip daily). They come once during the day and again in the evening to hand you some small chocolates and fresh towels.

The restaurants: Well the buffet is good except I am a picky eater so I had a harder time finding things to eat. I ate at 5 à-la-cartes restaurants and Thursday ate at the seafood buffet at Jazmin (if you like lobster tails, then that is your night).

1: Don Pable, great service, beautiful restaurant and good food. I had the lobster tail, salad and cheesecake (cheesecake not good)

2) Garden Grill: Good food, great staff. I ordered a steak and it was large, my cousin ordered the shrimp skewers which was in fact 1 skewer so she didn't have much to each but other than that, good. Ermis is the sweetest server ever.

3) Takara: Main course good but unless you like Sushi, the appetizers suck. The 5 spice soup is an embarrassment to food, simply a packet of spice partially dissolved in water. The service at Takara was horrible, we were seated and ignored for around 20 minutes while others were served and only ordered once we got up to get someone. Had to practically beg for a drink. My cousin ordered vegetable rice and got lobster rice. She asked to have it changed and was brought lobster rice again. When she started telling the waiter as he walked away, he simply turned around, looked at her and continued to walk away. The only saving grace was what I can assume was the Maitre D, he started asking us if we wanted drinks towards our departure.

4) El Olivio: Fantastic food and great service. We were so stuffed by the time the main meal arrived but somehow managed to finish it. I ordered the Churrasco for my main meal and it was simply delicious, i've actually been craving it for the last week.

5) Bella Italia: food was good and so was the service. You can probably find a better à-la-carte but it wasn't a total disappointment and the restaurant is beautiful inside.

Staff: Milodey and Louis from Jazmin are very kind and always ready to serve you. We also had the pleasure of meeting William who works at Jazmin, the snack bar and Bella Italia, such a sweetheart. Ermis from the Garden Grill was so friendly and lively you couldn't help but smile throughout your meal. Carmen from the pool bar was very nice and the kind bartender in the Esmeralda lobby was super nice and hard working.

I hope this helps anyone hoping to visit Esmeralda. Other than a couple of unpleasant individuals, the hotel was great and as I now have the Privileged membership, I will be visiting the Gran Bahia quite often so obviously its worth returning too.

Room Tip: Building 95 as I requested but next time I will choose a room closer to the beach.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Clara,

We would like to thank you for taking your valued time to share your experience, which gives us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance.

Please rest assured that we have taken your comments into great consideration.
On the other hand, it is wonderful to know that you will be coming back to our Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro. We will be more than happy to welcome you once again!!

In the meantime, we wish you all the best…

Kindest regards,

Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We are big fans of last minute vacations - we book the week off then see what's available. We never know exactly where we end up. This time it was the Luxury Bahai Principe Esmeralda during the week of May 10-17.

For those who travel to the Caribbean, you know the 5 star rating isn't always accurate. In this case it was. The resort was new, clean, and very easy to navigate. The staff were consistently friendly and helpful.

We did the Bavarro Runners expedition - Highly recommended. Our guide Jonathan was knowledgeable and a lot of fun. We saw and learned a lot about the country he is so proud of.

If you are a wine affectionado, then you may find the wine served at the bars not as good as you are used to, but the wine served at the a la carte restaurants was superb.

We will come back to Punta Cana. Working our way through customs and immigration was a breeze compared to other countries we have visited.

Room Tip: Many reviewers will tell you to ask for building 90 or 91 since they are closer to the ocean. We ha...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Kevin,

For all of us it is delightful to learn that our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda was just what you needed in your vacation. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed our premises, services, and of course our friendly staff.

We hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity to host you once again in Punta Cana.

Receive cordial greetings from the Dominican Republic!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#87 of 111 in Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!