Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #31 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Unforgettable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

After reading all the reviews here, we decided to go celebrate our wedding anniversary there and had the best time. Gran Bahia Esmeralda is a beautiful hotel, with lovely gardens, everything is so clean and works so well, that's hard to come back home. All the positive points related are true, mainly the excelent food (Don Pablo is the best restaurant) and good work of the staff that were always on the best mood, very attentive and doing everything to help us: Steban, Carmen, Mabel, Nestor (Ambar) Alexis, Paola, Yesenia, Yemis, Domingo (Ambar), Maria, Elvis (Ambar), Confesor (Ambar), Maximo and our super waiter, Braudy. And of course all the other that we don´t know the name. Don't be in any doubts about the quality of this hotel and don't believe the bad critics - except for the boring people offering time shares - you must go and experience it for yourself.

Room Tip: Very quiet apartments.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank J C
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Client,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service Department.

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen one of our Resorts as your holiday destination. It is a real pleasure to learn that we could fulfill your expectations during your wedding anniversary.

We are satisfied to hear that you had an excellent stay in our hotel facilities and premises especially because of the friendliness of our staff members. Please be assured that it is an honour and a great compliment for us to forward such wonderful comments, to all our staff, especially to Esteban, Carmen, Mabel, Nestor, Alexis, Paola, Yesenia, Yemis, Domingo, Maria, Elvis, Confesor , Maximo, and Braudy.

We are looking forward to seeing you soon and have the opportunity to continue providing the most unforgettable experiences.

Grand Bahía Príncipe Bávaro Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,475)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
CORNWALL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

My wife and I have been staying at the Grand Bahia Principe Esmeralda for the past four years and returning in February 2013 for another great week. The staff, food, grounds and rooms are the best. Yes there might be a slight language issue.......but hey your in another country da.

SFK
Cornwall, Ontario, Canada

Room Tip: Building 90 and 92
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank shawn k
Dear Client,

We greatly appreciate that you have chosen once again one of our Resorts as your holiday destination.

Thank you for your recent review and for highlighting our staff, food, grounds and rooms.

It is a real pleasure to know that you are visiting us on February 2013. We are looking forward to seeing you soon and continue providing the most memorable vacations.

Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

our family has travelled to alot of resorts , the gran bahia principe esmeralda is by far the nicest resort we have been to ,service is great , food is great and it is staff like ""Nicanor"" that make your visit great, he is very freindly and helps out where ever he can.

Room Tip: all rooms are good at this resort
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank karl v
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we could fulfill your expectations during your stay in our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Hotel. We are proud to hear that you had an excellent stay due to the friendliness of our staff members, especially because Nicanor. At Bahía Príncipe our goal is to make your vacation become an unforgettable experience.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda and continue providing the most memorable vacations.

Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

Arrived at Punta Cana section with my wife after a hassle free flight with Air Canada ‘’ Shame on Air Canada, no meals served!! ‘’, The bus drive to Punta Cana section was 25min. As I expected from previous review, the reception check in with the cocktail, in no time we were in our room. We stayed at Esmeralda between the 9th of December 2012 till the 16th.

Room: I emailed before going requesting room at building 90, but was granted a room at building 92, no biggie, the room was wonderful, clean, spacious, we all saw the pictures, but you have to see it in person to understand how beautiful it is, with all the marble, towels, toiletries .. makes you feel right at home. Safe is included in the price, which is easy to setup, a nice big umbrella as well that we never got to use, and couple of robes and Bahia Principe slippers added a flavor to the room. The room as well comes equipped with coffee machine, and 4 ready to make Santa Domingo coffee, sugar and whitener that I used every day. The mini fridge is stocked daily with soft drinks, 2 President beer ‘’very nice’’ and couple of large water bottles and 2 smalls.
Tip: The mini fridge is installed in a small wooden commode, when the commode door is closed, the heat generated from the fridge has no way to escape, so its practically cooking it self, and this is why all the other reviewers complained about mini fridge doing a poor job, leave the commode door open a little, and you will be surprised by the difference. We used to leave $2 a day on bed, sometimes we wrap the money on a chocolate that we brought with us from home, and the room was made daily, sometimes twice a day. Coffee, water, soft drinks restocked daily, and sometimes we had extras, the room couldn’t be ANY cleaner during our entire stay!

Grounds: The Bahia Principe compound contains 4 resorts, the regular part which are Bavaro and Punta Cana, the luxury parts that are Amber ‘’ Adults only ‘’ and Esmeralda. The entire compound is wonderful, landscapes are manicured, spotless clean, and by spotless I mean, it might rain twice a day, still they would wash the entire compound with jets and detergents!!

Pool and Beach: Esmeralda has its own pool, which is one of the best I’ve seen, always clean and never crowded, there are people who play the towel game, reserve their spots the first thing in the morning then either go to breakfast or the beach, and leave the towels on the chairs for hours, yet we never had a problem finding chairs, there are kids pool as well. The pool bar was top shelf, whatever you need just ask for it, if you want Smirnoff Vodka with orange, just ask! Try the Kiyprenia and thank me latter! Special thanks to Rafael and Lucas from the pool bar staff, you made our stay wonderful, Carmen as well, she used to walk around the pool checking on every one to see if they wanted a drink or a refill!

Tipping, I highly recommend you do. I don’t expect you to tip your life savings away but don’t be cheap. Remember you paid around $2000 to $2500 for one week. I think you can afford at the very least $100.00 more in tips for the week. Just because you paid for an all inclusive doesn’t mean that the staff doesn’t deserve a dollar or two for amazing service. These people work extremely hard, 14 hour days over 11 days straight and only get 6 days off a month to see their families. Before going, I made sure to make plenty of singles to last me the week, yet I ran out of singles as much as I was tipping, the service was that good. Something worth mentioning, don’t count on having large US bills and expect to get singles there easily, I ran out of singles on our 5th days and wanted to change a $100 to smaller bills, it was hell, I had to visit the 4 front desks in the complex with no success, at the end I had to buy something from the shops over there to get change!

Some reviewers complained about the language barrier. I personally did not notice as I am rational enough to try and learn from and respect the culture I’m visiting. It really doesn’t take much to learn some basic words in Spanish and try to expand your language pallet. I made a conscious effort to speak to everyone in Spanish and the staff appreciated it. For those who are pulling a sweat right about now don’t worry, most do speak English and you can get by. Just learn how to salute with a smile, and you will be amazed!

5 Stars explanation: If you watched James Bond ‘’Casino Royal’’ movie, then you have an idea about the real 5 Stars hotels, the one you drive your Bentley to, give the parking guy $20 tips to park it for you, and pay up to 5K a week for non all inclusive stay, set at the bar paying hundreds for dollars for drinks, while complaining on how the marina prices are such a rip off and it is costing you an arm to park your yacht, this is a 5 star hotel. And there are the all inclusive 5 stars hotels which is a total different thing, don’t pay for an all inclusive 5 stars rates, and expect a James Bond treatment!

Bars and Shows: The shows are held at the Punta Cana theater, we attended few, but only liked the Michael Jackson and the Circus, watching MJ show is a must!! At 11:30pm every lobby bar in the compound shuts down. You can take a walk to Punta Cana lobby to watch a late show, or set in the bar over there.

Ala Carte restaurants: we emailed our reservation list a week prior to our arrival, which all was met, the restaurant that truly stood out was Don Pablo, it exceeded our expectations, and it was the only restaurant that I saw people tipping $5s and $10s, the food was amazing, the desert couldn’t be better ‘’ ask for the flammable banana ‘’, and the wine was just fine, this restaurant made our trip.

Things I didn’t like:
I heard about the butler service, but never actually met him/her. I knew from previous review about the scented pillows, by the 5th day we didn’t see any of it, so I went actually to the client desk area and asked them if I can have scented pillows as a surprise to my wife, with the bathroom jet done with the bubbles and flowers as I saw in the pictures, also if I could have a champagne bottle! They said they will see what they can do to us, I offered to pay for the champagne .. they said not necessary, we only had the bubbles .. no scented pillows and no champagne, I could’ve done that my self!!

Internet, the free internet advertised was useless, only managed to connect ONCE during our stay to the free internet, wasn’t able to do anything with it, no skype or checking emails. We ended up buying a $50 internet connection that can only be used from one device at a time, which was really expensive! If my wife required a consistent internet connection like I did, we would’ve had to pay $100 for 2 connections, didn’t really expect that after paying all this money for our stay, and found it a cheap way to generate money! And this is the only reason I am not rating this place as a 5 stars, Esmeralda needs to understand that by today’s standards, 5 stars means USABLE FREE internet.

Finally its all about attitude, if you had a waiter that had a bad day, ask another to prepare your drink, if you had a rainy day, simply relax or explore the complex, if you didn’t like certain food, I am sure you will find something else to eat. Keep smiling, and tip generously. Just remember this is Dominican, this Hotel might not make a 5 stars somewhere else, but it is a 5 stars in Dominican. That’s said, I am sure you will like the hotel if you are ok with the above!

If you find my review helpful, please click on the YES for helpful review, thank you!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
76 Thank Ameed E
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for bringing to our attention the comments about your stay in our Hotel. Thank you for highlighting our good aspect, such as beautiful rooms, manicured landscapes, and clean pool and beach.

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any inconveniences or difficulties you may have experienced during your stay. Please be assured that your comments has been already brought to the General Manager of our Resort.

We hope you will be willing to give us the opportunity to welcome you once again and continue demonstrating you the commitment and quality of service we have exhibited through the years.

Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

We are a family of five and stayed at the Esmeralda over the busy Holiday break (Jan. 1-8, 2013). This is a Spanish speaking country - those who complain about the lack of English are clearly not seasoned travellers. Most staff understand basic English and with a few key Spanish words there is no problem communicating. Staff are very friendly and helpful. We had dinner reservations at the various a-la-carte restaurants six out of seven nights. I highly recommend the "Garden Grill" and "Mikado"; the rest were just OK as was the buffet. Food service was very good with little or no wait time. We had adjoining rooms in Building 92 and they were very spacious and spotless. Maid service is exceptional; we always had fresh towels and a stocked mini bar; if anything was missing they were quick and happy to provide it. The resort is very energy conscious and they cycle the air conitioning at night meaning that it is not consistently cool. There is a ceiling fan in the room. Check in was quick and our rooms were ready upon arrival at 2:00 p.m. This is a very large resort but you can walk front to back in about 15 minutes or take the frequent shuttles. You also don't have to leave the Esmeralda area as it has three pools, five restaurants, many bars and is close to the beach and water activities. The only negative we experienced is the almost total lack of non-motorized (i.e. included) water activities; the red flag was up 6 out of seven days and we couldn't help but feel that it was deliberately designed to entice you to pay for the various excursions or motorized water activities that they actively sell on the beach. We caved and paid for two kids to parasail at a cost of $90US. They also charged $35 for a brief sailing lesson even though the sailing is supposed to be included. There is no snorkeling at the resort and they never allow you to use the sea kayaks or windsurfing even though it is all supposed to be included. This was a big negative for us as we were looking forward to being active on the water. For those who just want to sit on the beach or by the pool this is obviously a non-issue. I wish they would fairly represent the lack of included water activities ... be prepared to budget hundreds extra! Otherwise the resort was great!

Room Tip: There is no bad location as the Esmeralda area is reasonably small but Building 90 is closest to the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank EastCoast888
Dear Client,

We would like to thank you for bringing to our attention the comments about your stay in our Hotel. It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that we could fulfill your expectations.

Thank you for mentioning our friendly staff, good food service, and exceptional maid service.

Your observations are taking into great consideration and have been share with the General Manager of our Resort for their analysis.

We thank you for taking the time of sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration.

Looking forward to welcoming you once again!

Milton, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

I just wanted to share a little bit of my trip to whom ever might be travelling to the Bahia Principe Esmeralda.
My daughter and myself were there over Christmas 2012 and had the greatest time ever. The people there are extemely helpful and very friendly. When we first arrived we were greeted by Estaban at the front desk. He is amazing and always willing and ready for any question you may have.
Mazimo is the bartender in the lobby and he will make you any drink your heart desires and he may even surprise you with something new if you wish!!
All of the waitress' serve you with a smile. It's very welcoming and comforting. We came across a gentlmen by the name of Ramon Diaz who was also very nice and willing to help with anything or any concern you might have.
Nicanor was another helpful individual. I think his smile was pasted on his face.It never came off. That's how my daughter remembered him!!
The restaurants are filled with yummy/tasty food. The Jasmin is my favorite. The chef is willing to provide you with anything your tastebuds can handle. Luis looked after our table at the Jasmin on several occasions and he too was a pleasure to have around and made sure you had everything you needed.
This is my 3rd time there and I look forward to my 4th this year!

Room Tip: I asked for a specific room (bottom/main floor) and Estaban delivered!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Maria T
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for bringing to our attention your comments about your stay in our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda.

It is an honor to know that Estban, Mazimo, Ramon, Nicanor and Luis had provided our guests with the natural warm and hospitality that characterize the Dominican people. They will be delighted to know that they are making a difference in each guest experience.

Please allow us to reassure that we are extremely proud to have provided you an unforgettable experience, which reflects the commitment and quality of service we have exhibited through the years.

Thanks for your comments and looking forward to seeing you soon at our Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

The only ones that could speak some what English was the staff at the front desk(front desk staff was rude) waiters couldn't understand English, I don't expect it to be perfect but being in tourism at a 5 star it should be much better. The free wifi was only in the lobby witch was EXTREMELY slow. Food was good but the same each day, booked restaurants were hard to get into the earliest we got into one was 915pm! The was no entertainment besides a singer every night witch ended at 930ish and you cant get a drink at Esmeralda after 1130pm. The resort was WAY to big, 5 resorts in Gran Bahia over 7000 people can stay there. There was never enough trams or they were always full, we always had to walk every where! Being such a big resort it would of been helpful if the maps were updated, we couldn't find anything. Our air conditioning in our room hardly worked, our room card didn't work three times, and didn't have any towels in our room twice, mini bar never refilled,room view of a fence and construction tape. Not enough pool chairs, beach was to busy. Pools, and adult pool closes at 6pm! When we showed up at restaurants it took at least fifteen minutes to even get something to drink, same as when you sat down in the lobby. If you go to a 5 star you should not expect this, maybe from a 3 star.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Britt M
Customer Servic... B, Customer Service at Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Receive cordial greetings from all the team working at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort, especially from our Quality & Customer Service department.

First of all, we would like to thank you for bringing to our attention your comments about your stay in our Hotel. It is through communications of this nature that our customers give us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.

Concerning your point of view about our staff, we must say that this has quite surprised us. It is not usual that we receive those kinds of remarks from our clients, but on the contrary, we usually receive excellent feedback. We constantly monitor our employees through our Human Resources and Quality Department. We strongly believe that our guests’ satisfaction depends of their daily performance with our valued guests.

Regarding your comments about our food, please allow us to inform you that our menus are done taking into consideration the diversity of our guests. Every night, at our buffets, we have a different gastronomic offer. Also, we think it is important to remark that, due to internal policies and operational reasons, dinner reservations are subject to availability and may not adjust to your exact request.

In relation to your observations about our entertainment program, allow us state that, being Esmeralda an exclusive hotel, is planned to have a relaxing atmosphere. By the same way, during the day you can attend to the main pool, where animation is continuing, and the night entertainment at Tropicana Theater and Pueblo Principe.

We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort to experience the hospitality of our people, the quality of our services and facilities and change any misperception you may have about us.