“CLEAN AND CLASSY”

Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda
Ranked #35 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed September 2, 2011

Travelled to many wonderful resorts and I must say they deserve the 5 stars.
Clean, calm and good food. Lobster was delightful!
Steakhouse and the Japanese restaurants were very good. Wasn't too impressed on the Italian but then again...I am italian and know what real authentic italian cuisine is.
Regardless, it's really a special and classy place. I really had a wonderful time.
The beach wasn't as nice as i was accustomed to but I guess I'll blame it on Hurricane Irene. Lots of seaweed.
If you are travelling with a teenager, please do yourself a favour and bring along one of his/her friends...It's TOOOOOO quiet for them and they may remind you each and every day how bored they are. No animators in that section.
If you think of going to the other sections of the Bahia Principe, think again...tons of people crowded by the pool like ants and extremely loud.
The Esmeralda treated us with white gloves...bravo. This the only section of the Bahia Principe Punta Cana that i would ever stay at.

Wife of a Travel Agent.

9  Thank COSTA_SS_11
Write a ReviewReviews (7,347)

Reviewed August 27, 2011

I stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe Esmeralda last week with family. I am just going to say the pros and cons...
Pros: Great service, staff always helps out, bar waiters are also nice. We would always hear the workers joking around and singing which really made it a fun atmosphere. The waitresses in the lobby would always come by and ask what you wanted to drink. There are always lots of waiters in the buffet and snack bar.
Great grounds. The grounds of the Esmeralda were always clean and kept. The gardeners would always be working and making everything much more cleaner and beautiful. The lobby was always shining, from the walls to the floor to the ceiling.
Good food. We only ate at the buffet which we found to be good but it wasn't anything special. The snack bar was also very convenient since it was right in front of the pool and the food there was similar to the buffet.
Great rooms. The room we had was a double bed. It was pretty spacious, we did not feel crammed.
Great pool and beach area, which both have bars which are never crowded. The water in the pool and by the beach was also very great.

Cons: The sleep quality was horrible. The beds were hard. The pillows were hard. I would always wake up with my neck hurting. The pillows smelt of wet towels.
Lobby too slippery. The floor would ALWAYS be washed by someone. We saw 3 little kids slip and fall on that floor. I almost slipped too.
First impression. When we got our room it was a single bed so we had to change to get a double bed. When we got dropped by at the Esmeralda we wanted to bring our bags ourself since we only had two bags but the bell boy insisted that they bring it to our room. But they DIDN'T bring it to our room, we waited for an hour, then just went to the lobby and there it was sitting there. When we got to our new room, we noticed that the bar door was broken and could not close and that the cable wasn't working either. So we had to call to get that fixed. We also noticed a smell of mold in the room. The shower was without a door or drape which was weird. There was also lots of rust in the shower.
Awful room service. We ordered room service twice and it was pretty bad. The nachos were hard and stale and I think there was mold in the cheese which had a thick chunk of cheese. The caesar salad was disgusting. The burger tasted like plastic.
The mini bar sucked. Don't get me wrong there were lots of drinks in the mini bar and a bag of chips which were refilled every day but the mini bar barely made the drinks cold, even if we left it there for days. Also, the mini bar would click every 4 seconds which was completely annoying when we were trying to sleep, eventually we would turn off the mini bar at night.
The fan would always click annoyingly.
Another discomfort is that since we were there during a storm and a lot of water would come into the hallways, we would walk by and there were the blue beach towels that they give you on the ground soaking the water.

Overall I think that everything in the hotel was great except the rooms.

4  Thank Safa S
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Family trip including teen and preteen sons. The hotel grounds and rooms are pretty, the beach and pool are lovely, and the food is pretty good. We like the Dominican food and the array of local fresh fruit. Picked this hotel because of reviews here and also our sons are active and we liked the idea of activities available at the adjoining gran bahia hotels. The boys were able to play a bit of mini golf on a bare-basic course, tennis was available, but there were no basketball hoops although the website says they are available. We were sent on a wild goose chase in search of them and even saw a sign for basketball, but there was not even a lonely hoop to be found. The pool closes promptly at 6, which was so early. We've been to other all inclusives where the pool is open 24 hours. Even 8pm would have been ok, when the sun goes down, but 6? In any event, the real damper was the service. The women at the hotel desk, in the "snack bar" and serving as hostesses were rude. Examples: first morning after arrival, we come down for breakfast at 10:30 (early for my sons and we are on vacation!). We head to the buffet and then the snack bar but are turned away at both, told that everything is closed. We go to the front desk and are told that our only option is to go back to our room and order room service. ( We are dressed , ready to start our day, but should go back to the room to wait for food?) A manager or someone notices us looking puzzled, takes us back to the snack bar, and tells the woman who turned us away that we should have been provided menus and seated. She gives us all dirty looks for the rest of the trip and my sons refer to her as 'the mean one,' but there are others... (Also, the only thing available was a light menu without any type of breakfast options, so a caesar salad was my breakfast on day 1). Not a great first impression! Next, our package had included a free round of golf. When I ask about this at the hotel desk, the woman there barks at me: "Free golf!?" as if I have two heads. This was embarassing as my sons were with me and hoping to play some golf. We head back to our hotel room, have American Express call the hotel and they are abe to secure the free golf that should have been readily available. Even if she didn't know about the golf, there is a way to speak to customers instead of being so rude! Another example on the first night: we go to the Italian restaurant promptly at 7 where we have a reservation but we dion't bring the computer- printed reservation slip (we thought the slip was for us to remember the time as it was not explained that we had to bring it with us). Hostess can't find our names and will not seat us without the slip of paper for us to prove our reservation. My husband has to schlep back to our hotel room to get it. (While he is en route, anothere worker comes to the desk, turns the page and finds our names. They offer to seat us then, but I choose to wait for my husband to return). We are supposed to be the guests! Other small incidents like those left a bad taste in my mouth. One more that I must mention: the time share guys call the room incessantly. We say we don't want a free gift bag. We are offered a free helicopter ride if we listen to their presentation. We think our boys would enjoy that so agree. We listen to a 1 1/2 hour presentation, but choose not to buy a time share (which was easy, given the poor service we were experiencing). To schedule the helicopter ride, we have to go to a counter at another hotel. First time we go, guy is not there. Second time, he starts to schedule us, but then when we show the free ride slips, he says the helicopter is broken and won't be fixed until Sunday after we leave. Says we can go back to our hotel and get a free gift bag instead.

11  Thank simbalala
Reviewed August 24, 2011

The property itself is beautiful. The rooms are close to the pool, the beach and the restaurants. We needed to switch rooms because we needed 2 double beds. Fairly painless to do so because there was a couple there that wanted our king room.
Pros: proximity to the above things that I mentioned.
Cons: I thought the customer service was horrendous for a resort of this caliber.
We had a good time, but by the end of our 7 days there, I just couldn't believe how rude the staff was. From the wait staff, to the security guard, to the front desk personnel and the employees at the "guest relations" desk, where I asked them to help me because my transfers didn't show up to get us to the airport. Most employees that I encountered the entire week were rude and definitely not service oriented. I filled out 2 evaluations but got the impression that they were not going any further than the person that I handed them to.
We did not let this hamper the fun for the week, but I'm not sure would return.

Room Tip: Building 90 and 91 are best if you want to be close to the pool
4  Thank travellover1006
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Lovely stay here, staff are so lovely and helpful, huge choice of food in a very fine air conditioned restaurant and everything served hot where appropriate. Definitely the nicest part of this big complex and wod not have liked to have stayed at it's larger sister hotels the bavaro or punta Cana. you can visit them but they can't visit you so you remain exclusive to your area. Great for those relaxing holidays but not for those who like lots to do. We would definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2011
4  Thank KarenBracken
Reviewed August 24, 2011

just returned from the Esmeralda and what a fantastic time we had, two families with kids aged 12.13.16.16 hotel and grounds are beautiful the staff work so hard to keep everything clean and tidy.
The choice of food in the restaurants is outstanding and we had a great time with the waiters always happy to help.
Angela on the reception was very helpful to us sorting out our rooms and bar staff were all really friendly.
We had four rooms in villa 94 and although other guests have said to request 90/91 you are only a few mins from the pool/beach which ever villa your in.
We would definatley stay again if we decide to return to the Dominican.

3  Thank paigetoone
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Everything was great! Clean and nice, the most quiet among the other hotels in the complex of Gran Bahia Principe hotels in Punta Cana. Very good food, no problems. When you stay at Esmeralda you can also use buffet's and restaurants located in other hotels within the group. The only bad thing we can say is the reception staff - very rude, arrogant and unpolite but if you do not have to contact them - it is great. They speak very good English but are too confident and not service minded at all. Even though we had to contact them ( being a family of 4 we needed to change our room for room with 2 beds instead of a room with 1 King size bed) it could not spoil the whole stay we had at this hotel!

Room Tip: All rooms are the same - there are 4 3-floor buildings. The buiding # 900 is the coloset to the beac...
7  Thank Rygle