“No Call No Show :(”

Punta Cana Mike's Private Dominican Adventure
Ranked #5 of 237 Tours in Punta Cana
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Let me personally introduce you to the ways of the local culture that exists here on the east end of the island. From the barrios, cities and countryside, you will experience firsthand in an informal and personal manner, what makes the region what it is. Small group size ensures that you will not just be another number on the tour. Encounters are with real people going about their lives as they do every day. All tours are conducted in comfortable air conditioned vehicles and narrated in native English.I look forward to showing you the Dominican Republic I have come to know!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Absecon, New Jersey
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“No Call No Show :(”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I had booked the1 day tour with Mike for Dec 12 2012, and even reconfirmed this with Mike on Dec 7th. I arrived at pick up point l 1/2 hour before my pick up time and waited until 1hr for my pick up . I was looking forward to this tour . I spent a alot of money on supplies for the students, and paid to bring an extra suitcase .I knew something was wrong when I could not pay up front.

Visited December 2012
3 Thank 1SaltLife
vienemo, Owner at Punta Cana Mike's Private Dominican Adventure, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Thank you for your review. Unfortunately when I arrived (on time) I was able to pick up the other couple from your resort and the vanload of fellow guests waited while I looked in the lobby for you to no avail. I am sorry that I missed you, but you must understand that I can only look around for so long, before proceeding on the tour. I checked both the lobby AND..the excursion waiting area before moving on.

Regards

Mike

Eau Claire, Wisconsin
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Worth every penny!!”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

We did the full day Boca de Yuma tour. We started out at the school which was the highlight of the day!! Almost moved to tears by the smiles and hugs from the kids. Mike gave background info that made the experience so much more meaningful. We then went to play dominoes at a car wash and to visit a cigar factory where we were able to purchase jewelry, rum and other gifts (no bartering). Then off to Boca de Yuma for an excellent late lunch and a boat ride. The whole day was informative, interesting and most of all fun! Best tour I've been on hands down and would recommend to anyone who wants to see more of the real Dominican. We did a Saona Island excursion also this trip and it didn't come close in comparison to our day with Mike.

Visited December 2012
3 Thank suez12
Grapevine, Texas
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Highlight of our trip!!!”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

The beaches are beautiful and the relaxation was much needed, but the highlight of our trip was Mike's tour. I highly recommend to anyone visiting the DR. So glad we found this tour on trip advisor.

3 Thank Kevin B
Vancouver
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“LOVED IT!”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We booked the trip prior to arriving in Punta Cana (Nov 9 - 16 was our trip to PC) and the communication with Mike via email was good. He told us the pick-up time and location in the email so we knew where to meet him.

Nov 12 (Monday) we met him and the other guests on the tour and off we go to our half day adventure outside of the resort. Mike told us the story of his life while we enjoyed the sights of the local streets.

First stop was the school that we brought supply/toys for. My eyes got a little teary knowing these kids had so little yet they were just as happy and thankful for what they have. We were greeted with hugs and smiles after the van came to the stop. We visited the pre-school class and had the opportunity to interact with them. Even though there was language barrier but it didn't matter at all. I captured some cute moments of the girl who was trying to figure out how to take pictures using my camera!

Then off to the local "carwash" where we met the guys that are experts at the game Domino. We played a few rounds and I actually won some! Just sitting there at the table made me so relaxed and the cold drinks (beer or grape soda, whichever you fancy) made the afternoon that much better.

Third stop is Basilica of La Altagracia (Ok I may have the stops all mixed up now but it's not important since you will be going through the same stops but different order). It's architecturally stunning from the outside and amazingly peaceful and beautiful inside.

Then we went to a local market which reminds me of my own childhood in Asia. The colours of the merchandise (there was pink salt!) are more than you will ever see in the cold, boring grocery stores in Canada. LOL

Then we went to the cigar factory. It was my first time seeing how a cigar is rolled and made. Mike also introduced us to the Mamajuana Spice - i've never tasted rum that good!! I bought two bottles, two cigars and a bag of cocao and two bags of coffee. Heaven!

Last stop was Macao beach. The night before our trip it was quite stormy so the water wasn't as turquoise as it usually is. But its still postcard worthy and we of course took many more pictures against the magnificent backdrop of sky, ocean and sand.

This excursion made our trip to Punta Cana perfect. I really appreciate Mike's effort in ensuring that we got the real feel of what life in PC is like.

Highly recommended!

2 Thank jessw811
pittsburgh
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Simply the Best !”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

This was our 2nd tour with Mike's Dominican Adventure. Last year we did the 1/2 day with David. This year was the full day with Mike. What a great guy ! We will probably do the new tour next year because the two we have been on have been great. A super learning experience. If you book any of his tours you will really be happy as you reflect on them when you get home. You get to see Dominican life in a small group, you have plenty of time at each stop and you end your day happy that you decided to book with Mike.
Thanks Mike !!!!!!!