“Ahh, home away from home...”

VIK Hotel Cayena Beach
Ranked #80 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
New York City, New York
“Ahh, home away from home...”
Reviewed May 30, 2010

This was our 3rd trip to Cayena. Cayena Beach Club is the time-share part of the Vik Hotel Arena Blanca. As a guest of Cayena you gain access to all the Vik Hotel amenities. There are several restaurants, since our first trip 3 yrs ago, the food is much better. The Vik Corporation only recently acquired this location, it was our impression that they are working on making improvements. PLEASE remember to TIP!!! No one TIPS!? We were sure to bring a large amount of $1 and $5's to tip. A $1 goes a LONG way. We just couldn't understand why no one tips. It just doesn't make sense to us. There are stations at breakfast & dinner, if someone creates a meal for you & you enjoy it, tip them! If the waiter is standing over you refilling your drink, tip him!
This is a quiet resort. There are children, and families. This is not a resort for people with the "let's get crazy" vacation attitude. This location is best for people looking to STOP and RELAX! The beach is GORGEOUS!! Be sure to bring a lot of sunscreen as the sun is strong. This trip we had 4 bottles of spray Coppertone and used them all up!
Unfortunately we had a lot of rain this trip...however, had we had sun the entire time, we would have been burned to a crisp! Only one day was a complete wash, otherwise we were running back n' forth from the beach to the room or restaurant.
What to bring- Books to read, sunscreen, beach toys for the kids, someone left "noodles" in the pool that we got a lot of use out of...we brought $2 floats, $1 shovels and pails for our children. We leave the sand toys behind for whoever wants them.
I would suggest you bring some light snacks (we are a snack family.) We brought almonds, goldfish, dried fruit, licorice, etc. They have a mini-mart on site, but the snacks are expensive, so we bring our own. Bring a wash cloth. We also travel with small DVD players for the kids. I brought a couple of their favorite movies to watch at bedtime. The TV doesn't offer many channels in english.
The reception staff of Cayena work together with an orphanage. We brought play dough, stickers, coloring books & gave them to be donated to the orphanage. The ages range from 18 months to 18 yrs old. If you are able, bring new or gently used items to donate. It was said that, "they need everything."
This trip my family did an excursion. They went on the dune buggy trip to a cocoa plantation, cave, and beach. They loved it. They said it was super muddy and very interesting. This excursion was booked through the Vik activity center near the main lobby.
Well, we are sad to be home. We had a wonderful visit and look forward to next year.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
6 Thank ge0rge123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Burr Ridge, Illinois
Reviewed May 17, 2010

My wife and I travelled to Punta Cana, DR May 10th through the 15th. We stayed at the (VIK) Cayena Beach Club. Cayena is the private, smaller hotel associated with VIK Arena Blanca. Here are my points about staying at Cayena.
Pro's-
1. Ocean view and price.
2. Beach front- some 6 palm tree beach "shades" fro Cayena guests. Right above these is a row of mostly shaded beach chairs for cayena guests. Yo do need to reserve with your towel by 8-9am, depending on the guest you stay with.
3. Clean beach. Water a little choppy with the wind but overall wa snice. My wife and walked a good distance North and South of Cayena and we didn't see any other spots we envied. A few had really murky, "sea gunk" water.
4. El Cano restaurant for lunch, smaller breakfast is also available
5. Food overall. The Mirador buffet was very expansive. Alot of international fare. There was an European, German flair- meats, sausages, potatoes but the had omellette station, pasta station. Skip the chinese stir fry- long wait, bland flavor.
Do go to buffet first to see what they are serving- one night they had sushi, before eating at Trattoria or the Estrella de Mar(sp).
6. Tennis. We played every morning. Doesnt open until 8am. If you get lucky and get the shaded court it is even better.
7. Drinks. We had 6 bottles of soda, 2 beers and two 1.5 liters of water in fridge every day.
At the bar we ordered the standard and were content.
8. Room. The shower had hot water. We didnt see any bugs- (if you leave out anything sweet- candy bar wrapper they will show up). We had our double beds connected into a King size. Jacuzzi is shallow.

Cons-
1. Theft- This applies to any hotel. There is security but its unlcear who to trust. Do not leave any items aside from towels unattended on the beach. A German couple had camera stolen while he was in the water. I watched a man in camaflouge fatigue quickly stick his hand in a beach towel then go on his way.
Do lock anything of value in your safe.
2. Time share. You are staying next to the administartion office, aka as the timeshare headquarter. Try to avoid the pitch. We got off easy- 15 minutes for 8 oz. of coffee. Just be clear you won't be investing, they weren't too bad- (avoid though the taller guy, he's a bit loud and pretty relentless).
3. Airport to hotel. The taxi drivers call Cayena -LTI, because it was a couple years ago. The ride may be perilous as the mopeds are everywhere and it is a two lane road, with alot of "illegal" passing. $38 to hotel and $40 back to airport.
4. North of hotel is a "beach market". Overall prices are inflated but they will haggle with you. I got a 12 inch shell for $10, my wife got a sarong for $10, 1lb.coffee for $5.
5. Free catamaran. Duck you head and hang on. It was a fun, wet experience but that sail is low!
6. Smokers. Alot of smokers around the main lobby, pool and beach.
7. Pack some instant regular coffee. Electric kettle and not a coffee maker in your room. You have to ask for regular coffee packets, only decaf in the room.
8. If you can get a clothes line you will dry your suit faster, no reall good place in bathroom.
9. Beds are firm but I slept pretty well.

Neutral-
Be prepared for some topless women. Alot of bikinis and my wifes term- "man kini's". It is not Rio de Janerio were everyone is "hot and sexy" but more power to the liberated thinkers. If you have kids you might have more of an issue with this. This issue not exculsive to this hotel, we saw it up and down the beach.

So this is my review. I hope it helps. We stayed on the resort all week with no regret. Would go back but want to see other parts of the world as well. We met some people on there 3rd trip back.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Matt1967
New Jersey
Reviewed March 19, 2010

My sisters and I just got back from Cayena Beach Resort in Punta Cana. Beautiful resort! It is part of Vik Arena Beach Hotel, but is separate for interval international guests. I have to say the people who work there were wonderful! the restaurant managers work their butts off to ensure that everything goes well. Overall, the food was just ok. Breakfasts were our favorite meal. The buffet was HUGE with a lot to choose from. the hotel rooms were very clean and nice, however, the pillows smelled like sweat so I had to cover mine with a towel because i was getting a little grossed out and couldn't sleep. We didn't get there till 5pm and our room wasn't ready. After traveling all day and having connections, we were very disappointed that the room was not ready. Check in was supposed to be 3pm. The beach there is very beautiful and the water was gorgeous. What I especially liked was that the beach chairs were for Cayena guests ONLY...police would walk the beaches all day long and kick off those that were not part of Cayena. One day we couldn't find beach chairs....and noticed that folks from the VIK hotel were using our chairs. The police would make them leave. So we did get chairs eventually. Lots of topless folks there, so if you travel with children, be prepared. One day we walked off the resort to visit some of the shops on the beach. Watch out for those guys!!! Some are pretty slimy--I gave them 2 $20's for a $30 purchase. Then decided not to buy it. They only gave me back $30, saying that's all i gave them. That turned me off totally. Don't be afraid to barter with them...if you REALLY want something and they don't want to bite, start walking out the door...they will then take what you offered. Be prepared to tip, tip, tip! Overall, I gave this vacation a B-.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank turning50NewJersey
Wyoming, USA
Reviewed February 17, 2010

We are planning our 10th anniversary trip in July to visit the VIK hotel Cayena Beach. I have been in contact twice with the resort and they have been wonderful The first time, I contacted Melanie regarding the orphanages the resort works with. They want visitors to bring items with them that the orphanages need. She also mentioned that we can go visit one of them when we come down this summer. At some point, we can see ourselves living down there and helping out at an orphanage or teaching at one of the schools.

The second time I contacted them, I asked if they could send someone to go write me and my husband's names in a heart in the sand and send me a digital photo of it to give to my husband as a Valentine's Day gift. They were very prompt and sent me 7 different pictures of our names in the sand! It was great!

I'm really looking forward to working with the people at Cayena Beach Resort! It seems very friendly! Thanks!

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank skyeandshawn
Cambridge, UK
Reviewed November 3, 2009

We stayed at Cayena for the third time in October 2009. On arrival the hotel staff were very friendly, and quickly checked us in whilst having a welcome drink. The first time we went all of the attractions and services were explained in great detail, but obviously having been here before we knew about them this time. Our room was upgraded to a Junior Suite overlooking the sea which was beautiful, and our cases were quickly delivered to our room. In previous years we have had a double room, which have also been very spacious and had beautiful views.
The beach is just a few steps from the rooms, and is always very clean and quiet - perfect for a relaxing holiday. The restaurant El Cano offered breakfast and lunch a part of the all inclusive package both of which we had. The standard of food was excellent and the service was quick and friendly, in beautiful surroundings. In the evening we went to El Mirador restaurant in the main complex which served a brilliant choice of food. One evening we booked to go to the Cayena restaurant (above El Cano) which was not part of the all inclusive. The atmosphere was lovely, and the food was delicious and very reasonable.
Everyday the maids cleaned our rooms, bringing new towels - folded in beautiful designs (when we arrived our towels were folded into swans and decorated with fresh flowers), and re-stocking the mini bar fridge which again was part of our all inclusive package.

We can't thank Cayena Beach Club and the staff enough for our 3 brilliant stays, and we look forward to returning there very soon!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Dancer0206
RIVERVIEW, FL
Reviewed October 31, 2009

My mother and I stayed 10/17-10/24/09. She is in a wheelchair but is able to walk somewhat. The staff (in fact, wherever we went even off the resort) were extremely helpful and attentive. When I spoke to the manager, Barbara, about mom's condition, she did everything she could to make our stay pleasant (and it was--thanks!). The only concerns were that there wasn't a railing to get into the pool and the bottom floors need to have a slight ramp instead of a step for easier access into the room. Our room was exceptional (we had asked the management not to send the cleaning staff in because we don't change our towels at home everyday and we realize water is a precious commodity.) and you could tell the pride everyone takes. The location was absolutely gorgeous! This club is part of a larger resort--the VIK Hotel Areana Blanca. Not only did we have our own pool and dining area (B and L only) at the Cayena, but we had access to the other part of the resort as well, whereas the other guests could not use our section. We went during off season (which I recommend) because you had the access of everything without fighting or having to wait.

I don't understand some of these other reviews. They must be used to staying at the 4 Seasons resorts or eating steak/lobster every night! The resort was well manicured, the staff was extremely attentive (now remember, we were in off-season; if you travel during high season expect more people making more demands on probably the same number of staff during off season--be patient and understanding) and the food was very good. The two restaurants (the Estrella Del Mar and the Trattoria) are waitstaffed and the food/service was great! At the private restaurant at the Cayena, the food was topnotch and again, the service was great--Pasqual was very helpful and took care of my mom if I had to step out (thanks) as did the other waitstaff. Ezekiel at the reception desk was the person whom we were in contact the most and he was always very friendly and willing to assist us and make recommendations. Each night they had live entertainment. Mostly, it was music and dancing from staff members but some nights they had audience partcipation skits. Though they are not the professionals you'd see on a cruise ship, their hard work (especially after working during the day, I'm sure) and the amount of energy and stamina it takes to perform in all that humity with no fans--I think they all did an outstanding job and we thoroughly enjoyed each show! Nothing says relaxation like a massage on the beach--try it! There are alot of Europeans here so be prepared for toplessness on the beach (though it didn't happen too much, I didn't care for this at the pool area nor did I care to see little boys and girls running around without swimsuits). The water was a little rough so I didn't get too much snorkeling in (currents may have been this way due to the seasons). Walking up and down the beach was wonderful but don't expect to be able to check out the other resorts. Since they are all all-inclusive, you will get chased off the property. No big deal--I'd have to say that our resort was probably one of the few where all the rooms had a seaview and was easily accessible to the beach whereas the other resorts tendened to sit back a ways off the beach. The Arena Blanca side had more rooms so there were alot of rooms that didn't have direct beach views/access.

In overview, this was an exceptional property with friendly staff and great meals. We plan on returning (hopefully next year) and bring my brother and his wife. We wish we could thank everyone by name but we hope the staff members who see this post send our appreciation to everyone!

• Stayed October 2009
2 Thank MMM1968
NY
Reviewed October 15, 2009

Just came back from a week at Cayena, our second time there. I just don't get the negative reviews AT ALL! This place is amazing. Rooms are immaculate, great bathrooms, flat screens, terraces or balconies, small frig fully stocked with soda, beer and water every day.Pool is gorgeous, beach is wonderful and so close. The food is so varied and delicious I can't imagine anyone not being able to eat very well every meal. Now the people...from the maids to the bartenders to Noel the towel guy - they are so happy, friendly and ready to help you in any way. Please bring single dollars and tip freely, they live on so little and it helps. Also they work with an orphanage on the island so if you have room bring childrens clothes, socks, pjs and school supplies. You can fit in the edges of your suitcase...besides you won't need so many clothes anyway, the weather is fabulous too!!! email me if you have a question!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Emotions by Hodelpa
#1 of 12 in Juan Dolio
Sunscape Dominican Beach Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to VIK Hotel Cayena Beach? Share your experiences!