“Beautiful beachs and nice place to stay”

VIK Hotel Cayena Beach
Ranked #80 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Northridge, CA
“Beautiful beachs and nice place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2008

My husband and I spent one week at the Cayena Beach Club (9/13/08 to 9/20/08). This is not busy season so it was quiet enough to enjoy the grounds and the beach but busy enough to meet some great people.

The beaches were absolutely beautiful. The LTI and Cayena grounds were also quite nice. Most of the time we had the Cayena pool all to ourselves.

Rooms were nice, nothing spectacular. We had two full size beds, it would have been nice to have one king size instead. But they were always clean and re-stocked the mini fridge daily.

Service is excellent, all the staff treat you like family. Food was fine. We did not care for the buffet. The Cayena restaurant "El Cano" and the Italian restaurant were both consistently good. But the seafood restaurant was pretty awful.

Be sure to bring plenty of cash, for everything from tips, shopping and purchasing excursions thru the hotel. There are beach vendors a little North of Cayena's beach, and most evenings vendors set up tables within LTI. Prices seem to be the same no matter where you shop, as long as you are negotiating, they all seem to bottom out at the same prices. All the vendors are very aggressive.

Book your excursions thru the hotel. We went on the Soana Island excusion, wasn't bad, but I could have passed that one up. It was a 7am to 8pm trip, mostly bus rides, and the only food or drinks offered was at the 1pm lunch on Soana Island.

Do not miss the Safari Adventure excursion. A full day of fun, exploring the countryside and experiencing things like small villages, homes, farms, a church and school, do some horseback riding and see the beach Macao, the most beautiful I have ever seen.

I would definitely visit Cayena again. It was hard to leave.

• Liked — Loved having beautiful, clean and warm beach right outside my room.
  • Disliked — Very poor wireless internet service, but they allow you to use internet in Cayena office.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank JSo73

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Naples, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2008

We booked our stay through our Timeshare with Interval International. It was our first time in Punta Cana...we had a very nice time, my husband and I. The food is good, we recommend the Italian Restaurant...you have to make reservations ...The restaurant right across from it is really good too, we recommend the duck...delicious! The staff is really friendly everywhere you go, willing to help you in anything...specially at Restaurant El Cano....we were there every day...the food is good . The rooms are cleaned daily and they re-fill your refrigerator also, my husband asked for them to fill it up with more beer instead of so much soda...and they did, they were really accomodating. The beach is to die for....that's were we spent our days......

Everuthing was fine up to the moment when we booked our tour to Saona Island...the tour was nice, we enjoyed it . It was when we got back.... that we realized that we had been robbed. We found our safe open and some money was missing. Granted it was only $50.00, but we were really mad, specially at their attitude. The person that we spoke to ( Issac our Isaias...something like that, he runs the reception area or something like that...)....about our problem made it seem like it was no big deal, explaining that they do not make themselves responsible for anything. He let us know that each safe has a unique key and that no one could've done it, and I have to add that twice we asked for a duplicate key , which they made....but do not know what they did with the one we gave back to them. Then he had the nerve to say that we probably left it open, which was an easy way out we thought....

It is an absolut shame about that incident......because everybody else at the resort was really friendly....Alex at the reception, Leonora at the restaurant El Cano, Camacho who was all over the place, very active and helpful, anything you need.... he is your man.....he makes it happen! Overall we had a good experience except for that "money problem", after that of course we took our money everywhere.....even to the beach.....

• Liked — BEACH
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank BEACHBABY73
Newark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2008

For our 40th Wedding Anniversary, my husband and I lodged at the Cayena Beach Club and had a wonderful experience. We loved the people and our room was above average overlooking the beach.

I booked this through Interval International and was somewhat leary from the reviews and pictures. I kept my fingers crossed and hoped that the reviews were wrong and they were!

I have traveled throughout the caribbean and my husband and I absolutely loved the beach in Punta Cana. The property is beautiful and well kept. The food is ok, but you can get tired of eating in the buffet.

There is plenty of shopping, especially on the beach where vendors are asking you to buy. They are very persistant, but don't pay more than 50% of the asking price.

We went snorkling and booked this through the timeshare office, which was recommended by others staying at the resort. We saw beautiful tropical fish and enjoyed every minute of it.

The people at the timeshare are wonderful and always greet you. Breakfast and lunch are the best meals of the day through the timeshare.

Bring $1 bills to tip the servers. They don't make much money. Bring a lot of sunscreen and moisturizing lotion. The sun is strong.

I just want to make it clear that this is not a five star resort, but it is nice and I recommend it to others. There are nicer places, and of course, more expensive, however, those places will not make you feel like family. I plan on taking my whole family next year and have already started planning!

• Liked — Beach and accomodations
  • Disliked — Bugs
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank yogi12
Union
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2008

My girlfriend and I went to the Cayena Beach Club through my timeshare August 23rd through August 30th. We enjoyed the property, but please understand this is not a 5 star resort. The rooms are nice and the beach is just beautiful.

What makes this resort special is the staff at the resort. All of them are helpful and will do anything to make your stay wonderful.

Some tours you may want to consider are the Ceona and ATV tours. Book them through the timeshare. This is very important. There is plenty to do on the resort property (LTI) if you wish to just relax at the resort.

The food is not bad and you have a choice to go to a few restaurants, but you will need to make reservations. I enjoyed the seafood restaurant, as did others we met at the resort.

Please understand that when you go to another country, they do things different from what we are use to in the states. Bring some dollars with you to tip.

Overall, we loved the people and the resort and plan on going back very soon!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FrequentVacationer5
RaymondoandConnie
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2008

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Cayena Beach Club August 23 through August 30th through my timeshare. The people at the resort are wonderful and very helpful. Although this is not a 5 star resort, the people make up for it, so if any of you have doubts about staying here, you will not have any problems. The hotel is nicer in person than in the pictures. We had some doubt about staying at the Cayena, but honestly, we would go back. I have read some of the reviews and I can't believe the people would rate the hotel as bad as they did. I would recommend that these individuals stay in 5 star and pay 5 star prices, but one thing they will never get in those places is the feeling that you are family!

My girlfriend and I absolutely enjoyed the beach, where we spent most of our time. The food was not bad, but I especially enjoyed the seafood restaurant the best. The Pizza restaurant wasn't bad either.

Bring a lot of dollars with you for tips. The workers really work hard and treat you well. Give them a couple of dollars each time you eat. Be sure to book your tours through the timeshare. Others don't carry insurance, so its worth it to pay a few more bucks and be insured. I would recommend doing the Ceona Tour and ATV Tours.

All in all I found this hotel to be excellent for the price and we must remember that this is a 3rd World Country and you are not going to get what we have here in the USA. If you can remind yourself this while visiting the DR, you will be fine!

• Liked — Beach & People at the Timeshare
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RaymondoandConnie
parts unknown
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2008

We stayed at The Cayena for a week and overall we had a great time. Our group consisted of me, my wife and 2 daughters - infant and 11 year old.

Our time there was great because the beach is beautiful and the people are very nice.

The property itself feels worn out and dated. Air conditioning did not get super cold which was fine because there are ceiling fans.

The pool at the LTI was ok, nothing memorable. The one at the Cayena was smaller and average, the hot tub did not work.

The restaurants at the LTI were not all open while we there. The Italian and seafood alternated evenings. We ate at The Italian one night and it was OK, certainly nothing memeorable but not bad either.

The buffet was pretty standard all-inclusive fare however the pasta station was top notch. This was more due to the person working it than the ingredients.

The restaurant at The Cayena was never open for dinner and lunch was pretty average.

One thing I would recommend is that you can book a photographer free of charge for an hour and then pick only the pics you want. We got some great shots this way.

I have been to quite a few all inclusives for work and pleasure so have some basis for comparison and I would never consider it a 4 or 5 star. One thing I did like wa that the resort was not huge so getting around with the baby was easy.

I got a fantastic deal so I am not complaining but had I paid a premium price I would not have been impressed.

• Liked — people, beach
  • Disliked — worn out feeling of facilities
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank ironchet
Arkansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2008

From the time we set foot on this resort it was a bad experience. We had booked 2 rooms with the cayena beach club which is suppose to be the upper crust of the LTI resort, we are greeted by a guy named "Reggie" he says i will fix u up what are ur names, we give them to him and he responds with ur names are not on our list but ur friends are but i will take care of everything follow me, so he leads us to the Cayena Club long story made short we didnt have a room there but our friends did, the supervisor tells us their overbooked and their is nothing they can do u will have to stay at the LTI, so upset but what are u gonna do we end up staying there it was like $200 dollars cheaper for the all inclusive compared to the Cayena, which only offered one other restaurant and pool which LTI people are not suppose to go to but everyone does anyways so why pay the difference. The rooms at the Cayena were much nicer then the LTI, but like I said what are u gonna do argue with people who act like they dont know what ur saying. Are bed at the LTI was 2 full beds pulled together to make a queen or whatever it was that when u try to sleep next to one another they come apart and u will fall through, absolutely awful. The food was absolutely awful the buffet was terrible, the smell from outside will make u sick, the seafood restaurant was horrible, u could get lobster or other entrees u think u might want but had to pay from $ 20 to $30 more for not knowing how they will taste, when its suppose to be all inclusive... The italian was at the best edible, the only thing we found we half way could tolerate was the hotdogs and french fries and around noon their would be grilled chicken, this out by the pool, but other then that wow the food was bad. The drinks also bad all off brand the beer is only El President or Brahma, both horrible, no corona no domestics nothing. At the entry lobby bar and the Cayena beach club pool bar u could by for extra money Name Brand Whiskeys and Vodkas, but yet its suppose to be all inclusive. We ended up getting one of the tour directors that spoke great english to take us into town where we spen t $45 for a case of budweiser and about $25 for some Jack Daniels. The people were all nice I can say, no problems there, but the resort lacks alot. Lots of europeans there germans, french just all kinds, and if u dont wanna see topless women or men in speedos dont go to punta cana. We had a good time regardless but it would have been alot easier at a good resort. If u go to Punta Cana go to the Paradise Resort, its awesome we took a tour of it while there, and had some friends stay there 2 weeks after we got back. I have so much i could write but this will give u heads up on most questions if any more feel free to email me and my wife.

3 Thank Smittyman69
Emotions by Hodelpa
#1 of 12 in Juan Dolio
Sunscape Dominican Beach Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to VIK Hotel Cayena Beach? Share your experiences!