“Natura Park - vacation from hell!”

Natura Park Beach - EcoResort & Spa
Ranked #77 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
New Albany, IN
“Natura Park - vacation from hell!”
Reviewed June 4, 2007

Natura Park Review

We (my husband, my 6 year old son and I) stayed at the Natura Park Resort from May 26th, 2007 to June 2nd, 2007.

We have traveled to Punta Cana several times before, and it is safe to say – this was the worst vacation ever!!!!!!

Here is our opinion of the resort and the (non-existing) customer service:

Grounds:
Beautiful landscape with lush greenery, lagoons, fish, flamingoes and, among other wild life, a bunch of geese. One of them, a large white male goose, viciously attacked my 6 year old son on the first day of our stay when we attempted to pass him on one of the walkways. The bird picked him so hard that he broke the skin in several places. Please do imagine the shock the child was under, since the bird, when aggravated and flapping his wings, was as tall as he was. Needless to say, I brought this unfortunate incident to the attention of the lady at the guest service desk – her response to me (in very broken English) was: This is an ECO Resort – Deal with it!
I also voiced my complaint about the bird to the Apple Representative, who was told that the bird was very territorial and that management was aware that all vacationers as well as the staff were afraid of it. The only people capable of dealing with the animal were the ground keepers, since they had rakes, shovels etc. the defend themselves.
We watched that bird attack 3 different people one evening within 10 minutes…. You tell me – is that something guests should be faced with as soon as they leave their room?

Check In:
Fast, again front desk staff spoke very little English.

Rooms:
Shabby, outdated and, above all, in bad repair. Toilet needed to get fixed sometimes twice daily, bathroom floor flooded, TV needed repair. Again, you need to walk all the way up to the reception to ask for maintenance, since if you try to phone the front desk or guest service, their English skills are not adequate to carry on a conversation.

Pool:
Dirty, even first thing in the morning.

Food in the main Buffet Restaurant:

Let me start by saying that we are animal lovers – but having birds sit in the scrambled eggs (and eating from it, of course) in the morning and subsequently walking through all the food platters is disgusting and definitely not improving anyone’s health. No wonder people were getting sick left and right. The food should have been covered up or one of the many staff members, just standing around involved in personal conversations could have chased the birds away.
The food was tasteless, every day with no variety. They were also not very imaginative when it came to use up the leftovers from the day before. YUK.

A la Carte Restaurants:
First, they were just open one at the time, so if you were in the mood for seafood on Monday, you were out of luck since Monday the Steak House was open.

Media Luna Restaurant (Steak House):
We had a reservation for 6:30 PM and when we arrived on time, the wait staff was still setting up. They seated us, but didn’t even asked us if we wanted something to drink – never mind a menu – until well after 7:00 PM.
When someone finally came to take our order, we asked for 2 beers and a 7-Up for our son. Not too difficult, one should think. We tried to order the Rib eye steak, which was not available that night and then settled for a Filet Mignon with mushrooms. Instead of mushrooms, the filet came buried under a mountain of onions – without any explanation. When after the meal we still hadn’t received our drinks (even though we had reminded the waiter repeatedly, we just got up and left. Staff is grossly incompetent.

La Perla Restaurant (Snack bar during the day and seafood restaurant at night):
Same incompetent wait staff from Media Luna the day before. Lobster was according to the waitress not in season so I ordered Shrimp pasta, which was the same pasta that is available at lunch with 3 shrimp on top. Very disappointing. My husband ordered the filet of sole, which was served under some sautéed veggies in aluminum foil. Lots of veggies – very little fish.

Pasta Restaurant:
We didn’t go since we anticipated the same lousy service and tasteless food.

Entertainment:
Nowhere to be found. No live music and the shows were marginal at best.

Animacion:
There were about 6 very disinterested people that gave us the impression they were just waiting for their shift to be over. Not much happening.

Kids Club:
This was the worst – we had picked this hotel since Apple vacations advertised a kid’s club from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
On our first day, I tried to take my son to the club and no employee showed up until 10:30 AM. I ended up leaving him at the kids club with a rather bored looking member of the animation team, who parked him in front of a TV and proceeded to put her feet up on a table and enjoy her book. To make matters worse, while sitting at the pool bar – we saw our son happily swimming towards us in the pool. Apparently, the girl didn’t understand she was to supervise the child until we would get back. Also, she informed us that the kid’s club was about to close for lunch from noon to 3:00PM!!!!!!!!!
When I addressed the issue with the guest service clerk, I was again faced with an employee that spoke very little English and cared even less.
So, if you have a child, stay far, far away from the Natura Park Hotel.

Management:
We tried to speak to the General Manager one evening about our concerns (that day that the toilet was still not working after they fixed it twice that day and the bathroom floor was flooded, we were told that it was dinner time and the manager was in the restaurant eating. We asked the front desk clerk to please call him and asked him to speak to us. The clerk even went downstairs to inform the GM, but no response. I was contacted the next day by guest services to make an appointment to finally speak with the GM – which I did. The appointment was set for 6:00 PM and when I got there (on time, of course) the GM was nowhere in sight. I was informed that he was on his way to the hotel and had car problems. Right! As we found out later, he used the same excuse for other unhappy guests that tried to speak with him.

All in all, you can’t blame the staff for the less than marginal service – if management doesn’t care, why should they!

This was by far our worst vacation ever – we will definitely never go back to the Natura Park Hotel.

• Liked — Beach
  • Disliked — service, food
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
25 Thank beachlover007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Nova Scotia
Reviewed May 21, 2007

We stayed at Natura Park from March 31-April 7, 2007. We had a great time. We only paid $774.44 per person and felt that we got an excellent deal for our money spent.

I do have a few pointers though. Pablo, that works at the front desk is fantastic. If you have any issues go see him. Take with you an alarm clock, and some kind of extension cord, as well as your travel mug.

I brought gifts for the maids and the other staff. I also would tip the grounds keepers as well as the men raking the beach. You don't have to tip them every time, and I didn't see many people doing it. These are the people that really need it. They were so appreciative of it! I also gave them chocolate bars and gum. I brought along school supplies, Tylenol, Children's Tylenol etc. I wasn't sure if the stuff I was leaving was benefiting the maid, but she thanked my husband one morning very very much for all of it. She had young children. I think that if they get things they cannot use they pass it on to their co-workers.

I brought along a few pages of Spanish words and phrases. I printed it off of debbiesdominicantravel.com It came in very handy especially when I was wanting extra towels or face cloths in the room. They do have them, you just have to ask. If I wanted extra water I left a dollar bill and a note where the water was, and did the same for the towels, and the mini bar. I usually left $3.00/day plus a little gift.

We were a bit concerned with the food when we first arrived. Things did not taste the same (of course), and their style of cooking is different. We learned when and where to eat. You are better to eat as soon as the buffet opens. There is a snack bar down by the beach that has hot dogs and hamburgers. The burgers were o.k., but I was very concerned to see a bowl of Mayo sitting out in the hot sun with absolutely no refrigeration to it at all. People were actually eating it!! Just watch what you are eating and if you question it at all don't!! Someone recommended that just in case we had food issues to take along peanut butter and crackers, or prepackaged tuna and crackers. I did not do this, and would recommend that it would be a good idea. My husband and I are very adventerous eaters, so we were surprised when we were having food issues. We did not get sick, and were choosy as to what we ate, but overall the food and the selection was good you just had to find something you liked the taste of. The steak house was our best spot, and did hear that if you just went to the door on a night that you did not have a reservation and asked if there was any chance of getting in they were very accomodating.

I never felt unsecure the entire trip. I did speak to the couple that had their room robbed while we were there, and they were very upset! I don't blame them. I had noticed that our patio door had been opened from the outside a few times, but the chain was on the main door. There was one instance where we came back to the room and the chain was off the door, but I don't know if that was me or the maid. I suspect it was me. The hotel did move the other couple and did give them a day at the spa, but I know that their trip was spoiled. I also heard of another couple that were robbed with machete's at the end of the beach that we were warned to stay away from.

I had read on Trip Advisor about Mike and Hector the guys on the beach that sell the excursions. I read that they were good men, and they were! We were somewhat hesitant to book with them at first and infact booked Saona Island with our Sunwing Rep. We got to be very friendly with Hector and he is quite the character to chat with!! We had booked a trip with him, and the morning we were standing in the lobby we were summoned to the phone to tell us the trip was cancelled. My heart sank thinking that our money was lost, but we went back to our room got ready for the beach and found one of Hector's men and he spoke to Hector who came to see us later that day with our money! Becasue we were supposed to be going to a rum factory and cigar factory and didn't because it was cancelled I asked Hector if he could get those things for us. He made a special trip to get us Rum and cigars, and returned on Good Friday (his day off) to deliver the goods! We did not want to buy them from the resort or the shop vendors down the beach because they charge too much. Don't pay anymore then $8.00 for a bottle of Rum and we paid $30.00 for the cigars and 20.00 for cigirellos. He was awesome and I would recommend that you book with him. We also did the parasailing and the other couple with us did the snorkelling.

Speaking of snorkelling. The fish off the resort are amazing. When we travelled to Saona we didn't see half of what there is off of Natura Park. Grab a few bananas and an empty water bottle full of bread pieces and you will be amazed!! I did not take a snorkel with me, but bought one there, and I already had goggles. The snokel was around $8.00. It was probably the best $8.00 I spent for the entire trip. I wore my Croc's in the water so not to step on the coral!

The trip back home was yet another adventure for us. There was a storm in Halifax and we were re-routed to Moncton. My husband and I chose to rent a car which cost us almost $300.00. We did not stick around to find out about the bus situation, but were told it would take 4 hours for them to arrive from Halifax. The buses infact did not show up until the next afternoon. People had many issues with the way Sunwing handled the situation. We are very happy that we made the decision to drive home. It took us 8.5 hours to drive, and in good conditions it should have taken 4. Sunwing has since sent us $200.00 in travel vouchers for our next get away, and I saw on my Visa statement that $100.00 was taken off! We were very pleased with this. I was not expecting anything from them! We did not have issues with the airline or how they handled the situation, but I suspect that if we had stayed I would be singing a different tune today!

Overall, Natura Park was a good pleasant place to stay. I would not consider it a 4 star resort. This was our first time at an all-inclusive, and from talking to others that had been doing this for years they felt the same way. I do think that we got an excellent deal for what we paid and if that same deal came up again I would take it!!

Keep in mind while away in the Dominican that their lifestyle is completely different from yours. Be open minded and patient. The Dominican's are on their own time, and are wonderful people. You see a lot of poverty when you travel on some of the excursions and it makes you thankful for what you have at home.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — When the people above us flushed their toilet it dripped on our backs! ewwww!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
29 Thank Arisaig_Point
manchester maryland
Reviewed May 19, 2007

we just returned from this resort and we hated this hotel -----their rooms needed updating , the food was thumbs down!!!!!!!!!!!! no lobster!!!!!! they said it was out of season???? and did i mention roaches in the room!!!!!! we were moved 2 times , and did i mention air condition--------that was a joke-----now lets talk about the grounds on this hotel----that is nice,and the beach was wonderful-------soooo if you don't care about the room or food and bugs , they you will enjoy-------------- we use apple vacation and it was rated a 4 Star. i feel this was a 2 or 3 Star.we left out of bwi airport.and it was a 7nt pkg and the cost was about $2000.00

• Liked — beach
  • Disliked — room and food
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tanns

Travelers are raving about these Punta Cana hotels

Windham, Maine
Reviewed May 18, 2007

We had a great vacation week at Natura Park and returned home on May 13th. We booked through AAA and they went through Apple vacations. The charter flight was direct and comfortable, with a movie and meal. I would travel with Apple again, they provide everything that their guests need. No worries! The buses were comfortable and air conditioned. Anytime we had a little problem at the hotel we mentioned Apple and the problem went away.

When we arrived at the airport in Punta Cana our photo was taken with local women in bright dresses to purchase when we returned to the airport for departure for $8. So if you like that idea you may want to dress nicely, smile pretty, and have some cash with you when you return home to purchase it.

The hotel was great. Many of the staff do not speak English but enough did that it was not a problem. The staff was friendly and helpful. Our room was nice with a big walk in closet and nice patio. Not a five star hotel but nice and clean. Each room has a safe for no extra fee and we used ours. They do not provide face cloths so you may want to pack some of those. The electricity in the room was not compatible with US plugs. They had mostly 220 outlets and one 110 in the bathroom but you need to bring an adapter to use US plugs in any of them. The adapters they sold in the gift shop were opposite what we needed so that was no help. There are no clocks in the rooms so you may want to bring a watch or travel alarm clock.

A note about money: We brought traveller's checks but found them hard to use there. They could be cashed at the hotel for Dominican Pesos only with lots of ID and paperwork. The exchange rate was about 1 USD to 32 Pesos so the pesos were bulky to carry and didn't go far. US dollars were accepted and preferred everywhere so there was really no need to bother with the checks. Credit cards were only accepted for larger purchases. We brought lots of $1 and $5 for tippng and were glad we did. Next time we will bring more larger bills for shopping rather than planning to use ATM or travelers checks.

The beach at the hotel was beautiful and the swimming excellent. There were beautiful fish to see under the water. Don't miss out on the snorkeling. A friend gave me a tip that worked really well. Fill an empty water bottle with bread then open it under water then watch the fish swarm you! It was so much fun that we bought a cheap underwater camera to photo the fish. You may want to bring one from home.

We were surprised to learn that the water sports equipment was provided by another organization for the hotel. The staff at the water sport center were not very friendly and required a cash deposit before allowing us to use any equipment . The deposit for a snorkel and mask was $20 and no fins. We were required to return them in 1 hour even though they were not at all busy. I might have brought my own had I known. For the catamaran they first required payment for a lesson.

The food was fine. Not gourmet, but we were not expecting that. The A-la-carte restaurants were good. The steak restaurant was our favorite. The tenderloin was better than the ribeye. We could only book each of the three restaurant once for our week stay but the buffets had lots of choices so we didn't mind.

We read a tip from a few guests before our trip that suggested bringing a large cup to save trips to and from the bar for drinks and be more eco-friendly. That worked well for us. We brought the self insulated type that stay cool longer.

We went to the beach after breakfast each day and had no trouble finding a beach chair with an umbrella. It was a pretty quiet week that we were there. The hotel had activities by the pool every day but we were just there for R&R so didn't participate. There were many European guests on the beach so many women were topless. The beach has security all the time. Vendors do approach you when you are walking on the beach by all the hotels to offer to sell you excursions, timeshare tours, and lure you to their shops. They are polite and do leave you alone if you just tell them "no thanks". The shops on the beach are fun to look in. The shop keepers don't take no for an answer though and will keep trying to make a deal until you leave.

We booked one excursion through our Apple Rep to go to La Romana and Altos de Chavon. The Apple guides and bus drivers were great, but I wouldn't take that one again because it was far too much time on a bus. Altos de Chavon and the caves were fun but the boat ride was not great and the long time on the bus was tiring. It was interesting to learn about the country and we met some very nice people both Dominican and American. It is a very poor nation so tip well while you are there, and maybe bring some school supplies for a local school.

If you are like me and always cold, don't bother packing sweaters because it is very hot there and all the hotel restaurants are open air. There is air conditioning in the bedrooms but it only brought the temp down to about 75.

We had a great relaxing vacation at Natura Park and will definitely return again! My biggest decisions of each day were which bikini to wear and what the drink of the day would be. Now we are back to the work grind and wishing we were still there on the beach!

Stayed May 2007
13 Thank VacationerMaine
Ontario
Reviewed May 8, 2007

Just came back from vacation few days ago. It was our first trip to the Dominican Republic and we really liked it. Very nice resort in great location. Were really impressed with the beautiful grounds and service and had a great time. There is only one thing to mention that needs an improvement: evening shows sometimes are boring (those without public participation) and poorly directed.

• Liked — grounds, relaxing atmosphere, beach and sun
  • Disliked — nothing really
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank DM T
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed May 7, 2007

We just came back from Blau Natura Park Resort and Spa in Punta Cana and we had a good time. We were 5 adults and we stay there from 24 april to 01 may.

Beach= because it was raining for 4 days before we get there, the beach wasn't so clean. The wind and rain made stuff come out. But the colour was beautiful and the temparature was good..refreshing. There were people working all day long to keep it clean. (see my pictures).

Room= stay away from 4202. We were in that room for two nights only, because one night we came in at 3h30 in the morning, and when we opened the lights, a dozen of bugs ran and hide in our desk, around the minibar. We examine the desk and notice it was crak open around the minibar. We thought that something sweet or maybe alcool were attracting bugs. So we move that same night to another room and didn't see any bugs at all for the rest of the week. Rooms were really big and clean. The balconys are large and really nice. If you have an adaptor for electricity, bring it because if you don't, you can only use one plug, in the bathroom. The other ones are 220V.

Hotel= Very clean, people smile all the time, Victor at the reception is the man! He speaks really good in english and will make sure everything is perfect for you during your vacations.

Food= There is something for everyone, meat, salads, sandwiches bar (you make it yourself), fish, make your own pasta...etc. Breakfast, bacon, eggs, toast, pancakes, everything you need! A lot of fruits, very nice, you can choose and make your own natural juice! It wasn't the best food we ate, but a lot of variety, and we liked it. A la Carte restaurant, italian, very good, good service. Sea food, very good, bad service. Steak House EXCELLENT!!! We took the filet mignon!! EXCELLENT!! Good service as well! It was our last day, but if we knew, we would have eaten there all week! (see my pictures)

It was really hot every day, great weather! We were lucky because the week before it was raining almost every day!

We went to Saona Island..don't miss that!! Good price for what you get (85$ US) for catamaran ride to go (1h30), day at the beach (3h30, most beautiful water ever seen), 10$ US for a massage there on the beach, BBQ lunch included, drinks included on the catamaran and on the island, speed boat ride to a natural pool in the middle of the ocean...ect. Bring a hat, we really burn there! We booked for that price from our agent. We went with Sunwing and we really liked them. Airplane, service and everything.

Don't book the shopping tour. They get you to a market, but in every store, it is the same stuff. You better take a cab and go shopping by yourself.

Overall, we had a great trip. We got a deal and for the price it was nice. I wouldn't recommand that you pay more than 1000$ CAN for this hotel.

Vacations are what you make of it!!!

• Liked — very clean, good service, weather, internationnals drinks
  • Disliked — not a lot of entertainement, not good for night life
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
7 Thank nessy-7
Nova Scotia
Reviewed April 28, 2007

We booked our trip on the Internet thru Sell Off Vacations and SunWing aircraft. We went to the Natura Park Resort in Punta Canta where our room was robbed on our second day there while we were at the pool. Stolen items were $80.Cdn. money, running shoes, toothpaste and my brand new reading glasses. It sure put a damper on our vacation. Do not buy the videos taken of excursions because when we got home the video only had music on it. Not the day excursion pictures that we were promised. We paid $40 US for it. We spent an evening at the police station that was not fun. The police do not come to the resort where the robbery occured and they insist that you go to the police station to file a report about 20 mins. away. The hotel security took us there and stayed with us and breught us back to the hotel. I would not recomend Punta Canta to anyone, when we were there we were not the only people who were robbed.

Stayed April 2007