“Nice place to go on a budget.”

Natura Park Beach - EcoResort & Spa
Ranked #76 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
“Nice place to go on a budget.”
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just returned yesterday from here. We spent a week here for our anniversary. The grounds were amazing beautiful landscaping everywhere and very very clean. The rooms were ok however the bed was so uncomfortable! They had be the hardest bed I have ever slept in. The food was not good at all. But I did talk to people from other resorts and it was the same there too. The beaches were pretty nice although it was not what we expected. For the most part it was a good experience just beware of the other people traveling there especially if you are American. Alot if the people we ment were very rude from other cultures. We were at dinner one night and some people sat down beside us and asked to move because they did not want to set next to Americans. If your looking for something affordable then I would recommend. Also we could not have asked for better staff they went above and beyond to make sure everything was great. They were all extremely nice!

• Stayed July 2013
Jordi2010, General Manager at Natura Park Beach - EcoResort & Spa, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Guest:
I'm very glad to know that you and your husband chose our hotel to enjoy your anniversary and had a good experience. Thank you very much to stand out the work of our staff and I apologize for any inconvenience you have had during your stay. Just hope to have another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I can t be happier about my vacation in Punta Cana thanks to Natura Park hotel. This is been the best vacation in my life. This family oriented hotel exceeded my spectations. As a lonely traveler, for the first time everything turned out just perfect. I would like to mention specially as part of an outstanding staff: Javier, "el gallego". Cafe, Ana, Capuccino, Blacky, Banana as part of the animation team. Gutiérrez, Sandy, Alexander, Andrea, Gisele the ones feeding me. Vanessa, Cristian, Ramon and the rest of the barman.
And of course all new friends:
Manny and Mike from Germany, my bests friends at Natura Park but also Dennis and Marsha from Russia; Stefany and Mark from Germany, Avril and Kelly "the boss" from Ohio, US. And my spanish collegues: Jose y Antonio; Mona and Diana. Laura, Diego, Gonzalo...
And the list goes on and on.
Thanks everyone for the good times.
(Max be brave!)

• Stayed July 2013
Jordi2010, General Manager at Natura Park Beach - EcoResort & Spa, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Guest: I am very satisfied to know that our hotel exceed your expectations and you time here was perfect. Thank you very much for mentioning all the staff that done well job and help that you vacations was the best. I would like that you return someday again.

Sutton, Canada
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Having never experienced an all-inclusive (we always rent on VRBO for family destination holidays) we were off to Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic to spend time with our daughter, interning at the Canadian Embassy for the summer. A trip advisor search found Natura Park Beach and the three of us bussed for a 4 day, 3 night weekend in early July.
We were welcomed warmly, and were in our room within minutes. The rooms were clean and great, air conditioning during their muggy summer was fine, and because the resort is relatively small location to both the restaurants, beaches and activities were just a short walk.
The grounds are absolutely beautiful with wildlife abundant, and beautifully maintained. The service in the main dining area, the bar, and throughout the resort couldn't have been better. Staff were cheerful and very helpful whenever asked. Premium liquors for my daily martini were available at no additional cost. The beach was kept clean from seaweed. We walked the beaches without any issues or concerns.
Of special note; I had left my cellphone in the safety box in my room when we left. When I contacted the resort my phone was quickly found, and 2 days later I picked it up in Santo Domingo with no shipping charges. WHAT A RELIEF.
Our sincere thanks to the entire staff at the Natura Beach for making our first foray into all-inclusive just perfect!!!
Oh yes....value for the dollar....for 3 nights we paid less than $500!!!

Room Tip: While we were on the first floor and it was fine, I might have preferred a second or third floor roo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest: I would like to thank you for sharing with us and others travelers on Trip Advisor your experience in our resort. Also, I am very happy to know that you left completely satisfied with our service, facilities, location and staff. Beside it is very great to hear that you received your cellphone. I hope have another opportunity to serve you someday in the future.

Warmest regards,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 14, 2013

So let me just say that overall, we had a lovely vacation, although there were definitely things that could have been better. The Park is beautiful to look at, the grounds are impeccable. I knew first hand that there would be animals roaming the park so for me, arriving late at night and having to walk through the dark to our room was a little unnerving, knowing that quite possibly a large bird or critter would cross my path or crawl up my leg. But seeing the grounds in the morning made everything better. If you can, try and book your flight so you arrive during the day, it will make your transfer by shuttle bus to the hotel and your walk to your room a little less scary. Some of the best memories we have of this trip was the animals. The peacock usually comes down from his perch in the early evening and shows off his feathers, breathtaking! The large birds (flamingos, stork-like birds) are very docile as are the pigeons. We enjoyed the animals a lot, no need to be scared. They became a part of the experience, very enjoyable. I would go back to the resort because of the animals alone! Just an aside, though, the resident photo shop people offer to take your pic with a monkey, parrots or snake, etc. for a price. On the day my husband decided to take one with the monkey, the little guy did not want to cooperate. The handler said (in spanish to the monkey that he would not eat if he didn't cooperate or "work". Not sure if the monkey understood him or not but it totally upset me and I don't want to fund that kind of industry, especially since we chose this park for its apparent environmental policy. Would I take the picture again, probably not.

Room: Our room was dated, period. Lots of wood paneling, a ceiling fan (make sure they clean off the dust) and a musky smell (kind of like the smell that hits you when you enter a Salvation Army store). But we expected this because the hotel is older. The mattress sits on a wood frame and is quite large though, it was alright in terms of comfort. Cable television is free and the shows are good (includes North American channels and lots of movies). The only thing is we did see a couple of cockroaches. The hotel's solution was to leave a giant bottle of bug spray on our table. There is no infestation or anything, just a couple of bugs who are probably there because people bring food to their room. The A/C was awesome and very cold. Overall, the accommodations were okay. 110/220V plug is available so you can bring your gadgets so no need for a international converter. The water temperature was a little too hot, if you turn the handle for cooler water, the pressure gets very low. Balcony provided a beautiful view.

Staff: We had a very nice chamber maid, make sure you tip well as these people make an average of $200US a month or $1 an hour. If you can, it also helps to leave a little something from back home (clothing, candy, etc.) They appreciate it. We had no theft happen to us but I heard from some of the other guests that if you leave anything just sitting out in the open (on your night table let's say or out of its usual place), it is likely to be stolen. Lock things up, keep it tucked away in your luggage. This is true of any travel abroad, anywhere, not just in D.R. Restaurant/bar staff were wonderful, front desk reception was alright. Sun wing airport staff, however, are the rudest people ever, especially at departure time. We were shuffled around like cattle and all they wanted was their customs money ($10 upon arrival and $20 upon departure for each traveler). We gave more than the amount in pesos and they refused to give us our change until after we raised a stink. Sun wing staff in Dominican definitely need a lesson in tact and diplomacy - terrible, just terrible.

Food: The food was plentiful and although the same most days, there were specialty nights like Dominican night, Italian night and International night and apparently Asian night which we didn't get to experience. The snack bar is open during off hours, but they only serve hamburgers, hot dogs and fries. I was not a fan of the hamburger meat or "mystery meat" as I call it. Definitely not Grade A beef. The biggest problem I had was the temperature of the food, hot food was never hot (even soup!) and cold food was never cold - it was always just lukewarm. Not sure why, even though the food looked hot. I suggest you go to your breakfast, lunch, dinner exactly when it begins, that way the food may be more tolerable. I would skip the cheese (they don't pasteurize) and the deli meat. The taste is different from what we are used to in North America, so things were always a little off for me. Every sauce, I mean EVERY sauce, was watered down - soup, oatmeal, pasta sauces. They didn't taste right either but most people didn't mind, I guess. And although it sounded like a good idea at the time, don't drink any fresh coconut water. I had SEVERE diarrhea and cramps the last night I was there. Also, the coconut water did not taste like the usual coconuts we buy at the Asian stores in Canada. The water was tasteless, even on ice. One of the groundskeepers offered to climb a very tall palm tree and get the coconuts for us, but he also refuse to cut the tip off until we tipped him $10US. I wouldn't go that route again, because the resort does not let the coconuts on the resort grounds be cut. If you must have fresh coconut, just buy from the vendors on the beach. All in all, the food was alright. Let's just say I ate everything on my flight home to Canada. Plane food was such a welcome relief!

Pool and Beach: By far, one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever been to. They scrape the seaweed from the beach every day on the grounds. If you venture off resort, you will notice a lot more seaweed and garbage. The pool is nice, with a swim up bar. The whirlpool is not really that, just a part of the pool. The kids loved it.

Sunwing (Tour operator): Sunwing's customer service sucks, period. We tried to select our seats so we could sit together a few hours before our flight so we didn't have to pay extra but their system was down. When we got on the flight, clearly there were empty seats together but we were told we would have to pay $25 extra each. My husband and I sat away from each other on our second honeymoon even though those other seats remained empty. They could have given us those seats and practiced good customer service. We would likely be repeat customers if that had happened but we decided there has got be better operators. They lost out all for a few bucks and the position that they would rather have two empty seats than make their customers happy.

Other complaints: The worst part of the trip was the constant soliciting. I am surprised that the hotel allows it to happen on their grounds. In fact, the free beach towel service is sponsored by the nearby theme park so whenever you return your used towel, they try and sell the theme park to you every time! Every day we got badgered and no matter how many times we said no, they kept at it. When they finally got the drift, they kept giving us dirty looks. It's no use trying to avoid them as they walk the grounds all day, they are everywhere! To give you all a heads up, there are constant solicitors for excursions, dance clubs, cigars, etc. etc. everywhere on the resort grounds and on the beach, mobile vendors of hats, bags, necklaces and the like. On Dominican night, the vendors are everywhere you walk, to and from the main building so you can't get away. It was exhausting and it really takes away from relaxation time. If you refuse, they like to mutter under their breath, probably something derogatory. Just beware! We took a bus trip to the local San Juan mall (they pick up at the front gate of the hotel every two hours). The mall is nice because it has a grocery store where you can get some familiar snacks but most stores are high end and geared towards tourists. Just make sure they don't take you a different place than they say. Other guests complained that they were taken to some flea market where baseball caps went for $35 US. They suspect that the market is affiliated with the hotel and the revenue goes back to the resort. If you must buy a souvenir, try and buy from the locals, at the flea market about 10 minutes from the resort.

Some useful tips: Bring cash in small denominations and enough to fund your entire trip. They have bank machines on site but they only give Pesos, the hotel will not exchange your currency, you need to go to the bank for that, which is at the San Juan mall. Don't forget to tip, even if only a $1 or $2 because it really helps the staff. They don't make much and the appreciate it a lot. Bring lots of sunscreen because the gift shop is expensive, don't drink the water ever (they provide large bottled water on a daily basis) and bring some snacks from home in case you get hungry after meal hours. Don't leave anything lying around in your room or out of its place. Rent a safe if possible, we just carried a bag with our passports and money everywhere we went, even at the beach, bring some bug repellant (mosquitoes were bad after dusk), and have no expectations or keep them low. Your vacation is what you make it. If you don't like "different", then I suggest you stay home and have a stay-cation instead.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank CanadianV_13
Dear Guest: I appreciate the time dedicated to write on Trip Advisor the comments about the experience that you had in our property. Also I am pleased that your holidays were wonderful and I appreciate your advice, they are very useful to continue improvement every day. I'm sure many travelers also value yours recommendations. I just hope to have another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Newmarket Ontario, Canada
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Do not go there if you are a swimmer or snorkler. Full ocean access is not allowed. You can only swim in a 75ft by 1000ft wide roped off area. If you go past the bouys the lifegaurd blows his whistle and the boat tour opperators run at you with their boats and verbily abuse you, even so far as to threaten you with death. We went home 1 week early because we did not know about lack of swimming.Also on the beach the tour opperators constantly bother you trying to sell tours.Staff speaks only spanish, which is great if your spanish speaking. In Cuba staff speak minimum 4 languages. Room finishes are poor. Vendors within resort are pushy and rude. Food was good. Resort property is really nice with lots of wildlife. If they would just let the tourists be tourists, but all they care about it boat and tour operators. how can they get money out of your pockets. There was even a native stripping the ocean of every shell and starfish he could find and selling them next day on the beach. Hotel said they did not know about him. REALLY? I do not believe that at all. The smell of diesel exhaust everytime a boat goes past is awefull. Noise from boat party cruises was loud.We were told not to walk off the resort by the front desk as HARM may come to you. Not a beach to relax on at all. Already told friends not to go here.Bin to Cuba 29 times and should have made it 30. Never not been able to swim freely in Cuba. Never going to the Dominicrap Republic again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank wolfaj55
Dear Guest: I deeply regret that our security policies on the beach were not satisfactory and have caused discomfort during your stay. I would like to emphasize that we have staff to speak different languages in the service area. The vendors belong to external companies and we cannot control their conduct, but we take strict measures for the bad behavior with our guest. Also I regret your decision do not return to our island.

Travelers are raving about these Punta Cana hotels

Toronto
Reviewed July 9, 2013

The Resort itself is nothing to write home about, they clean up the beach quite often from the seaweed but can you really complain about cigarettes butts and cups on the beach. Blame the people that go there lots of piggies saw one tacky lady letting her 5 yr. old pee in the bushes, 10 feet away from rooms. The food is alright you can manage without starving, lady who made the omelettes was fantastic. I understand that the cost of living is cheap there but the staff do what they can to make the experience enjoyable without killing themselves for their small wages. I know a grounds keeper only gets paid $125 our money a month so, I can only imagine what the bar tenders, servers, house keeping staff get paid a month.

Went on some excursions one with a greek/puerto rican tour guide dune bogeying who was quite nice minus the fact that you end up at a cave to go swimming and rinse off some dirt and mud. But they bring multiple tours so, you get quite claustrophobic if your not used to being in a small cave with over a 100 people, on top of the aggressive product pushing locals. Coffee and Cocoa plantation so worth it, best coffee and cocoa I've ever had straight from the source. Mamajuana tastes like cough syrup for me at least wasn't a huge fan but some people love it. Whatever floats your boat.

Went to Saona Island for a catamaran experience, my mum fell on her knee which bruised quite badly because they don't tie the Catamaran to the Speed Boat properly so be very careful. Guys walking around with AK-47'S on the beach a little nerve wrecking lol Found out that night they busted a whole bunch of Cocaine on the Island. Went on a glass boat tour for scuba diving which I didn't par take in due to the fact that I wear glasses but father and son were on the boat, the little guy loved hanging out with his Pappi.

Conclusion: It wasn't that expensive to have a week at this place in march. We didn't spend too much time in our rooms so, who cares but we were lucky enough not to have mould but the cleaning was lacking but again I can guarantee this has to do with wages. Our lady was Judy and she was quite pleasant and did an ok job cleaning we tipped her every day btw 3 ROOMS she must have gotten at least 10 american from us all. We also tipped our bar tending staff very well as they are worth it. Their would be a throng of rude tourists(terrorists) tapping the bar waving empty cups in their faces when we walked up we'd get served before the rude tourists.

A La Carte restaurants we walked out of the Seafood one, saw rats running around in the steak house and missed the Italian one which was supposed to be the best. But this didn't bother us al that much as we weren't there for the cuisine or rooms.

If it weren't for characters like Raquel, Ramon, and Refrain this place would not be worth visiting, you get what you pay for people, Complain all you want about the beach but theres a lot of pigs flying in from Europe, Russia, Quebec/Canada who don't have any manners at all and treat the place like a dumping ground. So, if you let crap like that spoil your vacation then you may be a twit as well, no offence but really the staff get paid little to nothing for entertaining people from all over the world that are mix of polite and rude people. Don't spend too much time in the rooms, what are you on vacation for to try out Punta Cana's beds..

Room Tip: a tip to choose a good room, dont spend too much time in the room. We were second floor in a n open...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank kelly_ferg
Jordi2010, General Manager at Natura Park Beach - EcoResort & Spa, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Guest:

I want to thank you for the time spent writing your objectives comments about the experience you had at our hotel, they allow us to continue to improve every day. Also I am pleased that our staff was highlighted with an excellent job.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We loved the resort lots of wildlife my children absolutely loved feeding the animals. The rooms are dated but clean. Half of the resort was closed for renovations so we could not get an ocean view this was very disappointing. Food is plentiful and very good. The hotel staff are rude and not very helpful. You do not have to purchase any excursions from the hotel or marina staff. The outside tour companies are reputable and very good.The beach is beautiful lots of seaweed but that's nature. Everything is within walking distance which was very nice. I probably would not go back because of the rude hotel staff.

Room Tip: inside garden
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Jordi2010, General Manager at Natura Park Beach - EcoResort & Spa, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Guest:

First of all, I would like to apologize for any dissatisfaction with our staff and I regret that you did not receive our best attentions. Also, I thank you for your comments and I am happy to know that you and your family enjoyed our wildlife, beach and food. I regret that your decision do not come back.