“Pleasant Surprise”

Ranked #79 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Niagara
“Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

After reading a lot of reviews I was a bit worried after booking this resort.
If your looking to get away and relax a bit on the beach its a great place to go..if the price is right.
Wandy at the front desk is very friendly and helpful. We were lucky enough to get in Block 7, ocean front for an upgraded price after arrival. The rooms are much nicer around the pool area and ocean..they have flat screen tv's and are fully stocked daily . (They have wash cloths)
There are always enough chairs on the beach for everyone and 2 bars on the beach for convenience.
The food is not bad but is mainly the same for lunch and dinner at the buffet's. The Steak and Italian A la Cartes are very good..I recommend going to them.
The entertainment is as expected..and the staff are always on the go and are very pleasant.
Most of them understand some English...if it seems like they dont..its mainly because your not pleasant and they choose not to communicate. ( Honestly..I dont blame them)
The drinks are what I always get in Punta Cana..Lots of Rum and Mamajuana..even the Margaritas were good though.
There are two bars at the pool. Iris works the day shift at the upper bar and I have to say she is one of the nicest bartenders ever. We tend to tip so maybe that has to do with the great customer service we received throughout the resort.
The venders are everywhere in Punta Cana..it honestly didnt seem any worse.
If your looking for a party place or a singles club..this is not for you. Its very quiet after midnight.

Room Tip: Try and get in Blocks 5- 10.
4 Thank RVSNiagara
Jordi2010, General Manager at Natura Park Beach - EcoResort & Spa, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Guest:

I appreciate that you have shared your experience in our hotel with others on Trip Advisor. Also, it is very satisfactory for me to know that our resort meets your expectations and that the staffs were helpful, also thanks for your suggestions. I just hope that you come back soon again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
kitchener ontario
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Checkin was horrible, front desk staff were not helpful as they just ignored our request for our room as they lost our envelope with all our keys and safe lock after we paid for it. After making demands they finally found everything. Then they took us to our room and when we arrived the houskeeping staff were still cleaning the room . After the cleaning staff were gone we realized that we had no tv remote and they gave us the wrong room key. Called the front desk and they sent a staff member with the proper key and our tv remote. Awhile later a knock came to the door ,upon opening the door there was a staff member and security staff asking why we were in this room and after some discussing this it was reallized that they gave us the wrong room and someone else was given this room. They are so disorganized. Got up in the night turned the bathroom light on and seen 2 cockroaches which is normal in the carribean i guess. Food was ok at the buffet and the al la carte steakhouse was excellent. Coffee is not good so if you are going there bring your own coffee as the rooms have a coffee maker in them. I was impressed with the staff as many of them speak english, spanish and french and most of them are very friendly. The lady who was our rep for air canada vacations needs a different job as she was not friendly when asked a question it was like i was just bothering her.Beach and pool areas very nice other than the seaweed that again the staff worked very hard at keeping it cleaned up daily. Just expect 3 stars and you will be ok with all the facilities. We had beautiful sunny warm weather. Always enough lounges and towels. I guess my biggest problem i had was some of the french guests that were rude and made it known that they were better than the rest well at least that is what they seem to think.

Room Tip: ask for king size bed as those rooms seemed nicer than the 2 double bed rooms,
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank kitchenercouple
Dear Guest:

I would like to apologies for any dissatisfaction and inconveniences that you have had during your check in and room assignment in our hotel. I am pleased to know that our buffet and a la carte steakhouse were excellent, also that our staffs were friendly. I hope that can give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Best regards,
city of kawartha lakes
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is truly one of the most beautiful spots. The birds woke us up every morning. We sat on our balcony and fed the peacocks morning and night. Beach is nice but they need to clean it up a bit walk to the right and you will see what other hotel beaches look like. Food O.K., a la carte better.
They only want American dollars in tips and the shop. Air Canada representative gave no info on resort only wanted to sell tours all between $74 to $149 O.K. if you have lots of money. Cost $5 to go into the part if you can find it. No we will not go again

Room Tip: Complain like we did. Not near entertainment close to beach.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us and others on Trip Advisor. Also, thanks for mentioning the great and spectacular beauty of our grounds and gardens combined with our fantastic wildlife. I wish that you come back again.

MOOSE JAW
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I just got back from a week at Natura Beach in the Dominican Republic. It was a very good week overall. My room was great - it was in building 11 room 4232. that is on the second floor with a nice balcony looking over a pond with incredible green bushes and plants and a white egret that hung out there all day fishing (but not catching much!). The room had two firm double beds and a cathedral ceiling. The maid service was excellent - made the bed everyday, filled the mini bar, took away towels etc...all with no hassle. The hot water didnt work when i first got there - but it was no problem the rest of the week. Also the room had a musty smell when i first arrived but it went away - so maybe the room hadnt been occupied the week before or something. I slept with the a/c on all night and it didnt really make the room cold just comfortable. Also the white noise from the a/c helped to drown out the birds which make a racket when the sun comes up. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful - natural ponds with amazing birds hanging out. I didn't notice any bugs at all - not sure if it just wasnt the season because I brought bug spray but I didnt need to use it. The beach is lovely sand, great for walking, but this seaweed accumulates everyday. They have this team of guys whose job it is to remove the seaweed - what a terrible job. You rake the stuff but it just keeps coming - forever. Like a Kafka-esque nightmare. They work hard but I think they need more help. It is windy on the beach but I didnt mind that because it is hot when the sun is shining. It rained everyday I was there - but usually not for long. The pool is not large and it is cold to get into. I flew Airtransat and the tour was by Nolitours. They have certain privilages and one of them is that you get two blue beach towels in your room when you get there and you can exchange them once a day at a hut near the pool. this worked well - better I think then other people there who have to use a card to get a new towel. The food was great - lots to choose from, lots of fresh fruit and salad. I loved the porridge, the smoothie bar, the taco making bar at lunch, and the cold soup. Each night at the buffet was a theme and the best was thursday which was Dominican night. The food was great and the staff had lots of enthusiasm - I was glad I hadn't booked one of the other restaurants for that night. I went to the seafood restaurant (service was terrible, food just ok) and the steak restaurant (excellent service and food). I didn't try the Italian place because I really liked the buffet. The resort is only about 20 minutes from the airport which was good. I discovered this walking path on the far side of the resort that I really enjoyed and I wished they had given out a good map of the place so I knew where everything was. The shop in the resort is stupidly expensive for things like sunscreen ($28) but reasonable for rum, jewellery, honey and vanilla. I took a free shopping bus to a place that was recommended by Diane the Nolitours rep there and it was a long cramped ride and the place was expensive. The jewellery and cigars were nice but top dollar. This resort has a lot of people from germany, quebec and russia so there are a wide variety of languages being spoken besides english and spanish. The staff don't speak much english which I think is fine...it is a spanish speaking country afterall. It does effect the service though - like in the nice seafood restuarant when the first thing anyone says to be is 'ready' meaning are you ready to order...I think a greeting in spanish of some kind would be appropriate. The service at times is kind of strangely unhelpful - you get the feeling you are bothering people. The concierge desk and the towel guys really have a poor attitude - you feel like you are bothering them. But the room cleaning staff and the bar staff were all great. I was never really asking for much though. The woman who seats people at the buffet was strange to me - I was traveling alone and I wanted to read my kobo during meals. You need alot of light to read those things so I kept asking to sit on the side of the place that had sunlight...it became kind of annoying how she never remembered that and never offered to seat me there. I really don't know why she was like that - but that was how the service was - you just sometimes felt like you were being annoying to them. I used the spa - a polish change on my nails (hands and toes for $16) it was great service and a great price. Rosa, in the Spa - thank you so much! I paid under $1000 for this last minute holiday for one person and overall it was very relaxing and lovely.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Aster6
Dear Guest:

I really appreciate that our value for money have been satisfactory for you and that our services and facilities have meet your expectations. Thanks you for mentioning the excellent work of the maid and staffs. Also I apologies for any inconveniences that have had in the room an hope that you give us a second opportunity to serve you.

Montreal,Quebec
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Can't agree with Allen from Calgary. Our 6th time to Punta Cana and this is a great 3 1/2 star hotel! Service in the buffet; fantastic, service at the bars; great,(thanks Vanessa),housekeeping;wonderful, repairs done immediately when needed.The rooms are fine, dark wood everywhere, cabinets, ceiling, doors and frames,beautiful. We found the food was generally very good,Smoothies made to order, fresh and ripe fruit, tender chicken well cooked,I could go on. Stunning grounds, what a treat each morning to walk outside and be greeted with such an incredibly beautiful scene, never gets old! Very clean and tidy resort.
Now the not so good; the shows are all done by the animation team, a very talented hard working gang, but it would have been nice to see a live band or some different sort of shows.
The beach unfortunately does have alot of seaweed, not the best to swim in, despite their large efforts to clean up constantly. The worst thing, and the one thing that will probably keep me from returning, are the relentless,aggressive,loud and rude beach vendors that are allowed to constantly harass vacationers every few minutes. This gets old very fast, and I now understand why many people fly thousands of miles to come to the beach and spend all their time at the pool where you will only be bothered by hotel sanctioned vendors everywhere you go,or sit for that matter. Yeah it's that bad. Do not buy cigars on the beach, and you WILL be propositioned to every 10 minutes, they are very cheap knock-offs made from god knows what!
Great hotel,Wonderful staff,disappointing beach experience,not the hotel's fault, that's why I give it 4 stars.

Room Tip: Third floor has high ceilings, roomier feel.
4 Thank johnmcdee
Dear Guest:

I appreciate the time dedicated to write the comments about your experience in our resort. Also, I am happy to read your kind words and know that in general our hotel exceed your expectations and our services were satisfactory. You can be sure, I am doing my best to improve the situation with illegal vendors on the beach, I just hope that you reconsider your decision and we can serve you here in Natura Park, again.

Annecy, France
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We were 14 days beginning December in the Natura Park. Rain, strong wind, cold sea and full of algae for two weeks. Throughout the day. many motor boat, motorbike on the beach, it smells and it's too noisy. Difficult to change towels, not enough towels while the hotel was half empty. Cold pool, outside the hotel dirty beach, you can find much better in the Dominican Republic.
220 Volt current in the room. We booked a double room for a family. They added a bed in a room. We had the feeling of being in a camping holiday, no privacy. Used furniture, bathroom completely flooded by the shower. Mold problem in the air conditionning, renovations noisy. Impossible to have two keys for the room. Safe paying $ 50 for two weeks.
Internet $ 15 an hour. Wifi $ 25 for the day. Attention to changes at the airport, it's theft. Very expensive taxi, car hire very expensive, very expensive and unattractive activities. Sometimes more sellers than tourists, too aggressive.
Situation too removed, no shopping possibilites near the hotel. Ability to travel on a bus from outside the hotel. First step Higuey (1 hour 30), after La Romana and Bayhibe (1 hour 30), beautiful place. Travel, tourist friendly but without tourist and very good music in the bus. Perfect for discovering the country. Provide $ 15 round trip (a little less in pesos).
Very quiet and silent hôtel appreciated by retired couples. Security service well organized, but theft by cleaners in the rooms.
No problem with mosquitos, no malaria risk. Anti mosquitos dispersed by the hotel effective but very toxic, avoid breathing.
OK Restaurant for an all inclusive. Choice of vegetables, meat and fish quiet OK against very disappointed with the fruits, raw and tasteless, surprising for a tropical country. Christmas music loop at every meal, you can go two weeks without hearing Merengue in RD, it's a real shame.
Beautiful park in the central aisle, but if you have a room with view to the rear is much less beautiful. Poorly defined non-smoking area, people smoke almost everywhere.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank ocotpus
Dear Guest:

I regret that our resort did not meet your expectations. Your suggestions are very value to continue improvement. It is great to know that our food were good and please I apologies for any inconvenience with the music during your stay. I just hope that can give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Punta Cana hotels

North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Very pleasant, effective staff, clean, quite acceptable digs, wide variety of food, a la cartes good but hurried. Very little to complain about. Hard working staff trying to keep beach clean. Even the hawkers on the beach were friendly and did not hector if you we're not interested. You can hardly fault someone trying to make a living. Nice international clientele.
Very good dollar value.

Room Tip: Take American dollar bills for tipping and face clothe
3 Thank Franklin C
Dear Guest.

Thank you very much to write your comments on Trip Advisor about your experience in our hotel. I am very glad to know that our staffs were helpful and friendly. Please do not hesitate contact to me if you return some day in the future.

Best regards,