“Christmas 2012”

Ranked #79 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Canada
“Christmas 2012”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband, 2 year old daughter, and I went to Blau for Christmas 2012 dec 24-31st. The beach is beautiful and the natural part of it is definitely the best part of the beach as you can walk for miles and still feel safe. It is just the other side of the resort. There is lots to watch during the day from the beach...boat activity, parasailing,snorkelling boats etc. I took the kayak out everyday and went out to the dolphins and the floating spa deck. It is quite a paddle but well worth it to get a free show of the dolphins!

My daughter loved feeding the fish around the resort which was one of our daily routines.

Considering what we paid over christmas I would not rate this place a 4 star more like a 3 star.

The rooms were a different story very moldy smelling and dated. The beds were very hard. The food was not very good. However we did like the omelettes and the fresh fruit smoothies for breakfast. The fish was also fresh which was nice at dinner time. The a la carts were not so great. We have been to a number of all inclusives and I would rate the food as one of the worst almost as bad as Cuban food.

The entertainment was great. The animation team always tried to get everyone involved even the children during the children's show every night at 8pm. During the day the child care was only for 4 and up not 2 and up like it said in their ads.
If you can go for less than a $1000 then it is well worth it. I wouldn't spend anymore than that for this resort. At the end of the day it's all about the beach and warm sunshine which is what we got everyday!

Room Tip: Apparently ocean view rooms were not as dated and nicer?
3 Thank Sunshineabc
Jordi2010, General Manager at Natura Park Beach - EcoResort & Spa, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Guest:

I offer my gratitude for sharing with us the experience of your stay at our resort and for having chosen to enjoy Christmas 2012. I'm glad to know that you and your family are delighted with our diverse wildlife and our natural environment. Also thank you for mentioning the outstanding work of our entertainment team and I apologize for any dissatisfaction with our rooms.

Warmest regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Winnipeg
Reviewed December 31, 2012

To put all my points together at the start, we loved it!

We arrived on December 23 and boarded a transfer bus to the resort. It is a relatively short 15 - 20 minutes drive and while waiting our turn to check in, were greeted with a very cool drink. Check in was courteous and efficient, I recommend renting the room safe (actually, you are issued the lock and key for $24.00 per week) so you don't have to worry about passports and other important documents. We were escorted to our room which was somewhat confusing. The resort is two main block which are interlocking squares. Walking through the resort involves a confusing series of turns to the right and then to the left, etc. After a few tries, we discovered that walking through the very well kept grounds and learning which patio your room is located is much more efficient.

The room was quite spacious with two beds, a couch, full closet and large bathroom. There is a tv with a very good selection of channels in many languages. However, there was no remote. Apparently, it should have been issued at checkin but wasn't. Very minor problem as we weren't really interested in tv. Water from the taps is not drinkable but they provide two large bottles of water. Additionally, there is a mini fridge which has two bottles of pepsi and two beers which are replaced at no charge.

For dinner, you have a choice of the main buffet which is very, very good. There is a main meat course, a pasta bar, salads, fruits, a fish grill, and a wide variety of hot dishes. There were at least three theme nights (Dominican, Asian and Mexican) while we were there which, of course, does not include the spectacular Christmas Eve Buffet. There is something for every appetite. Additionally, there are three ala carte restaurants for which reservations are required. We ate at the seafood and steak restaurants and were going to eat at the Italian but changed our minds due to the Dominican theme night. The staff are very courteous and most speak at least four languages. Wine and other drinks are available.

For lunch, there is the main buffet and a poolside buffet (there is a grill outside of this where you can get a burger or hot dog if you want).

Breakfast is in the main dining room and there are so many choices it boggles the mind. You can have omelets made to order or fried eggs. There is french toast, pancakes, cereals, fruit, juices and coffee plus a wide selection of various types of bread.

The pool is great (although I couldn't believe the number of people complaining that it was cold. Canada is cold, the pool was not). There is a nice kiddie pool, a sort of hot tub and good swimming area plus the absolutely wonderful swim up bar.

Ah, but the beach! This was the best beach I have ever been on! Soft white sand, warm breeze and warm water. Lots and lots of beach chairs and a lot of trees if you don't want to be in the direct sun for too long. There is some sort of sea weed which drifts in all the time but there is a crew that rakes and removes this on a regular basis. There are two roped of swim areas and an area for boating, etc.

The animacion team was a lot of fun. They were very good at getting people involved in all sorts of fun things like mini golf, archery, dancing, beer drinking (dumbest thing I did in over 27 years and I came in 2nd!). For the winners, you are called up prior to the evening show, presented a certificate of accomplishment and a small bottle of rum while the audience waves to "We Are the Champions".

Each evening there is a show which we really enjoyed. On some nights there was a theme and a very well choreographed routine. Other nights, it was all audience participation. Prior to the main show, there is a kiddie program which is somewhat repetative but the kids seemed to be having a lot of fun. The show runs from about 9:15 to 10:30 but you should show up early to get decent seats.

Of course, no discussion of an all inclusive would be complete without mentioning the bar. There is a main bar, a bar in the show room, a bar near the pool, a bar in the pool, at least one bar on the beach. They serve domestic brands and glasses are more generous than I have seen at other resorts. Of course, you still had a lot of people toting and refilling their big gulp cups though I never saw anyone really tieing one on.

This resort is quite family oriented and no one, whether elderly, couples or families seemed unhappy. Nights after the show was generally quite quiet although I'd really like to hurt whoever insisted on playing the trumpet late one night when I was really tired.

There is a computer room available and you can book 15 minutes for $3.00 which is quite reasonable. However, the connection speed is quite slow. You can also book wi-fi but I have no idea how much it cost but based on the amount of people on computers, I guess it was worth it.

There is a fairly good store for souveniors, shirts, cigars, booze, etc. However, some items are very expensive (sunscreen at $20.00 per bottle) so make sure you stock up before you leave.

There is no doubt that we would go back again if we were to go to the Dominican Republic. I would have no hesitation recommending the place to anyone.

Room Tip: Learn to locate your room from the walkways instead of roaming the halls. If you are going to tip th...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
14 Thank Catbertwpg
Dear Guest:

It is a pleasure for me to know that you had a very enjoyable stay with us and that our resort and services exceed your expectations. Also I appreciate you sharing your pleasant experience with others on Trip Advisor. Thank you for choosing Natura Park and will look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Just returned from spending a week at Blau Natura over the Christmas holiday. We arrived at the resort after midnight and were very impressed by the speedy check in. Being last in line the bell hops, all 4 were taking other visitors to their rooms so Francisco behind the desk, who checked us in, personally took us to our oceanfront rooms. He also saw that the rooms we were slated to be in were not together as a family and said that at Christmas we needed to be together even before we made that request. Best check in experience ever! Later we also needed towel cards and 4 were given without us even having to prove that we did not get them or which rooms were in. The trust in their clients was remarkable. Ours two rooms were wonderful and the scenery, wildlife and grounds of the resort beautiful and well kept. The pool was good for the amount of guests, without destroying the landscape and natural surroundings. There were always plenty of beach and ocean chairs. The ocean area was well kept. The food of the buffets and beach grill was good and varied with a theme night every week. It was easy here to get a variety of food. My only suggest/downfall of the resort and the reason I would give it a 4 plus instead of a 5 would be the a la carte restaurants. Although they were easy to book I would like the quality of their food to be better than the buffet. We went to all three: Italian, beef and seafood. Nice location for all of them, good service and nice presentation. The beef and seafood were the best, while the Italian was disappointing. Checkout was easy and seamless. It was easy to arrange a late checkout for a fee as we had a later flight. The decor of the resort fit the style. Our maid was wonderful and accommodating, the waiters attentive,bartenders efficient, front desk more than helpful and animation team enthusiastic. I would definitely go back to this resort again.

Room Tip: We were 4243 and 4244. Beautiful rooms and wonderful view. Would rate the resort 4 plus
6 Thank muggsy02016
Dear Guest:

I am very glad to know that you chose our resort to enjoy the Christmas Holidays together your family. It is always nice to know when we have met your expectations. Also, I am grateful for you mentioning the staff that helped to make your experience here such an outstanding one. When you come back, please contact to me priors days to arrival.

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Just got back from spending Christmas at Natura. I'm not a princess but I don't like roughing it and I was scared to go to this resort after reading reviews. This resort was unbelievably beautiful with amazing food. The Christmas eve gala dinner was nothing short of spectacular with unlimited lobster, grilled fish, chicken, steak and was by far the most amazing spread I have ever seen and i have frequented many 5 star resorts. The team at Natura is fun and friendly. The grounds are immaculate and you feel as though you are in the middle of a rainforest. There were no bugs, the rooms were very clean and the beach is absolutely beautiful with warm calm waters. The seaweed on the beach is cleaned up twice per day by the staff and they work diligently to keep it clean. We booked 3 a la carte restaurant reservations and they were all fantastic with the steakhouse being my favorite. All in all we were very scared after reading the reviews on here but were so very happy we went and proved the reviews wrong. Seems like we were in a renovated room with new AC/ceiling fan, shower was clean and had a strong hot stream for showering. The snack bar is open from 10pm-6am and serves burgers/hot dogs and chicken fingers. Shows were awesome in the evening. One suggestion: play some music on the beach because when the big party boats would pass by everyone on the beach would start dancing, it would liven up the beach days. Special thanks to Noel and Daniel for making our stay the best Christmas ever!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in building number 3, second floor and the rooms seemed like they were recently renovated.
6 Thank Nadia D
Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for sharing your pleasant stay with others on Trip Advisor. Also, I am very glad to hear that you had a great and amazing Christmas in our hotel. I will be passing on your very nice remarks to Noel and Daniel, so they can also share in the appreciation of these flattering comments. I hope have another opportunity to welcome here in Natura Park.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Stayed over Christmas 2012. This is a nice resort. Gardens are very nice. I like that is a small resort so you don't need to walk a mile to get around. Overall I was very happy with our stay

Strong Points. Beach is great. Food is good. Gardens are very nice. Lots of chairs at beach and pool. Small resort keeps walking down.

Weak Points. Everything is dated. Needs overhaul soon. From the room furniture to the ripped felt on the pool table everthing is showing age. Only one room key given. Lobby and Main building to much cigarette smoke. Cant get away from it. Ceiling leaked in heavy rain. AC very noisy. TV only green and blue color.

Don't let all these points make you feel its a bad place to spend a week. We had a great relaxing trip. You gotta go with the flow. Just want to point them out in hopes the owners will take note.

Room Tip: Check AC is working well before you unpack. Ours very noisy but I felt to lazy to repack and switch...
6 Thank James G
Jordi2010, General Manager at Natura Park Beach - EcoResort & Spa, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for the very kind remarks about our resort. Also, I appreciate your advice they are very useful to continue improvement our facilities. I just hope have a second occasion to serve you some day in the future.

Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed December 27, 2012

First, the most memorable part of this trip was each and every one of the amazing staff. They are so energetic and know how to make your vacation a great time especially the animation team... they are GREAT!! Unlike some resorts, they do not request tips (although they definitely deserve them).

BRING USD!!

Can't remember the building number but we were right across from a pond near the media luna (steak a la carte dinner) which was full of flamingos. It was so cute to watch them and we got lots of pictures!

A la carte dinners were spectacular!! The italian was by far the best!! (we tried to get a second reservation but couldn't). The media luna (steak) was good as well! (we actually got a complimentary dinner during the week... they invited us with an invitation to our room and it was at no extra cost, just great!). I love seafood but the seafood restaurant here was not the best.. however, it wasn't horrible either.

The nightly entertainment was great! They manage to get almost everyone into their nightly acts, even the shy ones. Each act is planned out very well and was very fun... it was usually pretty packed. There is a bar right inside the entertainment area and right across from it in a lounge type area, very convenient. After the resorts entertainment, they offer you to buy tickets to go partying off the resort for $10-$15 I think it was (we never went but many others did and enjoyed themselves).
If you participate in daily activities and win, the staff gives out awards during the nightly entertainment EVERY NIGHT! very nice :)

Food- it was good, not excellent but nothing to complain about. The omelette and pasta bars were great and I remember one lady always working who was so kind, I went everyday I was there and near the end of my vacation she made me a jar of a sweet dessert that was absolutely delicious!

People - there was a variety of different people vacationing at this resort which was great! we met some really cool people from england, quebec, russia, texas, etc..

Rooms- very clean, the cleaners decorated the rooms with flowers and transformed the towels like other resorts but its still always nice. We accidentally knocked a beer onto the bed and called for some help, immediately someone came and cleaned it.

Excursions - there are a few different desks/companies you can book with at the resort (suggested), once you find out a price for the excursions you like.. ask the other reps what they'll offer you. We got our prices lowered huge by doing that.
We did the zip line tour which was great because I was looking forward to it but there was ALOT of walking and you weren't allowed to bring your camera once you get to the mountain, oh and getting up the mountain in the busses is a ride you won't forget... I don't know how we made it (very bumpy and long).
We also went snorkelling and for a boat ride (can't remember the name) and it was decent, the boat was a big party and the snorkelling time was fair and you got to see alot.
We also did the excursion where we swam with nurse sharks and sting ray.. it was great! no pictures with the sting ray unless you buy them but other than that, it was AMAZING! you got to feed the stingray yourself, so interesting! and during your shark swim you have a guide with you (ours didn't have very good english) but you can get pictures and it was definitely worth it!

*This hotel is the first spot you get picked up from and last dropped off at (may bother some people but it wasn't too bad)

Beach- there was some clean up that could have been done on the beach but it was still great! beach chairs were often taken up very early and you can't forget to leave your towel or you'll have to pay extra. there was a towel exchange available whenever they were wet or dirty :)

We loved that the resort had enough walking to be enjoyed but not too much. As it is called "natura park", there was many different birds and naturalistic touches around the resorts.. it was different and fun to see different bids.

There was one day out of the week that a kind of flea market comes to the resort so you can buy all sorts of things that you would usually have to go off the resort for. There are the usual locals that walk down the beach to sell things but they are not as pesky as other resorts. Look out for one lady that braids hair... we got ours done for a good price and they were very kind.

There was a shuttle that went from the resort to the shopping mall quite often (no costs just tips if you choose). The mall had some great stores including a grocery store if you really can't stomach the food (I didn't meet anybody who didn't like it).

Kayaks on the beach were 100% free as well as some other activities. Some things like tubing were available (we went once) and it was cheap!

The gift shop at the resort was a little expensive... and you should NOT exchange dollars for pesos at the resort because you'll be charged extra.

I went on this vacation with my sister.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Mandy F
Dear Guest: Thank you very much for the time dedicates to write your detailed report about the experience that you had in our hotel. I am happy to know that your time here was amazing and your vacation great. Also, I thank you your recommendations these are very useful to improve. I just hope to have a second chance to welcome here, again.
Caraquet, Canada
Reviewed December 25, 2012

Spent a week at this resort in april 2012. Went to Grand Bahia Principe in feb 2012 and hated it, Natura Park on the other hand was a smaller resort, with splendid gardens and the best beach in Punta Cana. Lots of seating areas, lots of palapas, and you didn't feel rushed to wake up at 6 to get beach chairs. Pool was awesome, drinks were amazing and food was OK. Nothing fancy; this is an older resort in need of restoration, but you did get that 'summer camp' feel to it. Rooms very clean. Overall, great resort for the price (we had it for 1100 CAD flight and hotel. Don't spend too much on this place. You will love it as much as I have.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank luco85
Dear Guest:

I appreciate your nice words about the experience that you had in April, 2012. Also, I am very happy to know that our resort meet your expectations and all our services were great. Please, if you return someday, do not hesitate contact. I will be glad to have special courteous for you.