“A truly wonderful stay at The Natura!”

Natura Park Beach - EcoResort & Spa
Ranked #79 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed February 9, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Natura Park for a week from January 28th – feb 4th.
Here is my review on the hotel...

I had already emailed the resort requesting king size bed,balcony and Ocean View.Now before i go on it is very rare that you will get a reply. Luckily I did... and it was documented on the computer.
If you do request a room I suggest you play up how you are looking forward to stay in their beautiful hotel etc... wording really does help!!!

ROOM........ Very big and VERY clean.I hate hotels and i was impressed!!! But i still covered my pillow with a towel!! But thats just me! LOL!
Our room was close to the Main building so it will be noisy at night until the music stops.Didn't bother me as I didn't usually go to bed before midnight.Except the night after the Saona Island trip... I shoved my ear plugs in and was asleep by 10.30pm!!!!!

FOOD.......LOTS of it and lots of choices. There wasn't a lot of cooked veggies but always salad. One night i didn't fancy anything (not their fault) so i just had pasta. If you are looking for GREAT food then a more expensive resort is what you need.Personally I don't just go for the food...it serves it's purpose and keeps me alive whilst I'm there.
The A La Carte... we didn't try the seafood.The Italian was great although don't expect fast service.It was actually nice to sit and relax between courses.
The steak house.. well...everyone we knew LOVED it.Majority had the File mignon (sp).My hubby had the Rib Eye Steak and he said it was the worst steak he'd ever had. I had chicken and it was ok.. we didn't let it bother us.

ENTERTAINMENT...... I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it.Each night has a different theme.They have a kids disco (mainly for ages under 6yrs I would say,but the same songs every night.Annoying for adults but kids loved it..lol) at 8pm and then at 10pm the anamation team come out. The best night was the “Stars” night... we were stunned... it was such a good show.These kids are truly talented!!!!!
After the shows they play all kinds of music you can dance to and that can go on until 1am.

GROUNDS....... WOW is all I can say!!! Lots of little bridges, although the bridge to our part was being worked on so we had to go to another bridge which was only another few steps. Geese... OMG they were hilarious!!! We were having breakfast one morning and we could hear “honk honk honk”... there were 3 of them making their way through the hotel to the pond!! Now then I do have to say that there are some little black birdies that fly around and can land on your table whilst your eating... but this is only on the tables that are closest to the pond. It didn't bother me... I loved sitting there as it had a nice breeze.
The whole main building is open... no doors. Because of the constant breeze it was very comfortable.
We actually didn't need the AC on in our room most of the time.The fan did its job but at night i turned it off as i cant sleep with a fan over my head.
The Flamingo's are beautiful and there is a pheasant roaming around.I saw it once from my balcony and thats it.

BEACH..... well what can I say...... HAS to be the BEST part of it all.If you were totally unhappy with everything all you would need to do to make it right is to step onto the beach, and all your worries would just float away with the waves!!!!
The busiest part would be right by the restaurant and pool.Thats where most of the louder ,party people would be.
We liked to turn left and go to the end of Natura beach.Its much quieter there.A little walk from the toilets and food but it does have a bar!
There are 2 little dogs that roam around that end of the beach.Don't be scared of them and don't be mean to them.They are sweet little things.If someone had food they would just sit there and watch you very politely.I actually went and got 3 hot dogs.I think they must be brothers.. i fed one of them from my hand but if i dropped it he wouldn't come that close to get it.I would pick it up and then give it to him.
I also saw a horse just beyond the beach sign....it would lie down and roll over to scratch his back... there is a house further down the beach on the left within the palm trees. I saw 4 kids on this horse so I'm figuring it belongs to them.
If you turn left onto the beach and just walk, walk, walk ,walk its sooooo beautiful.No hotels for ages....apparently there are LOTS of fish there so bring your goggles.
The beach is actually protected by its own coral reef so it is very calm to swim in.
You'll find lots of seaweed on the beach depending on how windy it is.Because of the reef it has nowhere to go except get washed ashore.The workers work hard clearing it.. sometimes raking 3 times a day.
One day i was lying on my sun bed and i heard someone singing.One of the workers was raking the seaweed and singing the most beautiful spanish song...I didn't want him to stop it was so lovely to listen to.
You HAVE to play the towel game!!! No its not a fun game... If you want a sun bed then you do have to get up early,take your towels down to the beach or pool and tie them to your chairs.Its the same everywhere and as much as its a pain in the [--] and not fair you have to do it. It is a bit freaky going down to the beach when its dark though...lets just say I did it in record time!!!!

WEATHER....... Most mornings started out cloudy but because of the wind it blew over by late morning.We did have a few rain showers but they also blew over.I heard lots of complaints about the rain !! And i laugh...... yeah i understand if your whole week was rain but c'mon... they need the rain.. Its what keeps everything so green and lush!! And the Dominican people need the rain!!!
I personally wouldn't go in January again.I've been in Feb and we had 5 min of rain the whole week, BUT the following year it could possibly rain that whole week. We cant control the weather and you just have to make the most of what you get!!!

SPA... I booked the Pr-tan spa treatment which includes sauna,full body scrub,full body massage and Jacuzzi.
If you are shy or Bashful this is not for you.You are "totally" naked which came as a bit of a shock to me.I delt with it though.The sauna was wonderful,had bathing suit on for that.The body scrub everything has to come off and they do the back AND the front!!EEEEK!Then you shower and then you have a massage.
You are at least half covered for that but I do have to say it was the worst massages i'd ever had.Some friends of mine had booked just a massage and thought it was great.So maybe you need to stay away from the "packages" and stick to just one treatment. Apparently the massages on the beach are amazing,$35 for half an hour.
The Jacuzzi after was nice although went on to long.

TOURS...... Saona Island

Pick up was at 6.50am.EEEEEEK!!! We did have a wake up call but it came 15 min late.. other peoples calls were on time. There are a few things out for breakfast,yogurt,breads and donuts etc.
Took a small bus for about 20 min then we stopped at this big bus depot place.We must have waited for about 35 min without being told why we were waiting. Eventually a huge bus turns up and we had to get on that one.THEN we were off on the hour and a bit drive to get the boat.
When you arrive there will be people right outside trying to sell hats.. normally the vender's get on my nerves but actually so many people had forgotten hats etc that they bought one.They are nice hats actually and hubby bought one.
The toilets there are somewhat to be desired.No seat.. you gotta do the squat.And you get handed about 5 squares of toilet paper as you go in.. LMAO!!! Disgusting but i held my breath and tried not to let it bother me.. when you gotta go you gotta go!
The Catamaran ride was awesome... it was really overcast and so the ocean had a wonderful navy blue color to it.Lots of rum and coke,music and great people.Saona Island was a dream.Although you'll see LOTS of people on the main beach if you go for a walk to the left (when you step on the beach turn left) you'll find no one down there are TONNES of coral and shells. The barbeque's lunch was ok.Very basic.There are toilets and you can get a massage on the beach.Again.. vender's galore!!! Then you get a speedboat to the mid ocean pool.. about waist deep.More rum.. swimming or snorkeling if you have your own equipment.Saw 2 starfish...at first i thought they were plastic but then I saw it move!!LOL!\
The speedboat back was Sooo much fun....the 2 boats race each other.. really fast!
On the bus before you leave a guy will come on with a case of rum with your pic on it.. its taken when you arrive.They are $10 and quite a good pic i thought.
A VERY tiring day but would do it again in a heartbeat!!

Outback Safari... What a GREAT trip.....The truck is VERY bumpy/bouncy especially at the back.I wanted to be able to look behind me at all the scenery.Or driver was Caesar and guide was Monchy who was totally hilarious!!! Ask him any question and he has the answer.We learned a lot about DR.
The coffee and coco plantation was ok... little children waiting outside when you come out.. i gave them all a lollipop each. Lunch was REALLY good.Driving up into the hills and seeing the countryside was wonderful and you pass by a lot of tiny villages etc.
The boogy boarding was the best.. the beach was beautiful and the waves were humongous!! The guides get in the water to stop you from getting dragged out to see... LOL!!!!
I managed to hit one wave and swear i was going to end up on the beach in the bushes.. i went so fast!!! Screaming and laughing all the way!
If your not a very strong swimmer you might want to sit it out.You can still enjoy the water without the boards.
Another extremely tiring day but I would also do it again!!

STAFF...... No complaints there whatsoever.Very nice pleasant hard working people. My hubby said that the bar men/women really don't leave if there are still people at the bar.How late they will stay I don't know but he said they were still sitting at the bar at 1.30am and they were still serving drinks.

So thats really about it, cant think of much more to say except I WILL be returning next time to Natura and will be taking my kids!!!

9  Thank Jenmomto2
Write a ReviewReviews (4,393)

Reviewed February 8, 2008

the resort was really nice.
Rooms where great.
I would advice you to get an upper room if possible unless you like a terrace out your door-but we switched to a second floor.

Food was very ok............

And to the person that said the Meda Luna steak was terrible- I differ on that -the steak my g/f had was one of the best filet mignons I have ever tasted-it cut like butter.

All in all we had a great week..
JUSY WATCH out for the MINi bar -we got stung $27 on check out for 5 drinks--the free ones are free -the others are not--get the literature before USING your MINI bar.

the only complaint was it was too short-it would be nice if you could go for 10 dayst o some resorts.

1  Thank captain236
Reviewed February 7, 2008

Thunder Bay, On Canada
My husband and I have been to a few Caribbean islands and we found this resort very good, not perfect. I loved the grounds, it was very nice to see maintenance people constantly making repairs to walkways, cleaning seaweed from the beach and sanitizing the pool. The bathrooms throughout were beautiful all the time with fresh flowers. Keep up the work on those points. Our room was a very good size as we had one of the corner rooms and our maid Rolanda always kept it clean with fresh towels. She was wonderful. Check in was swift and very efficientley done. The staff were always helpful and polite. I took in a few spa treatments which included a manicure/pedicure, 2 massages and a sauna. Thanks in part to Edy who approached us on the beach and told us about all the amazing treatments that were offered. The only thing that I was a little disappointed with was the food offered at the buffet. Sometimes it was a little over/under cooked but I always found something to eat. The specialty restaurants were good-we tried all of them both times as we stayed for 2 weeks. While we were there we discovered a female duck( with the pompom on its head) with a nest of 10 eggs in it. I constantly watched over her and fed her several times throughout our stay hoping to see her brood hatch, but they had not. If anyone has stayed at Natura Park after the end of Jan.08 and has pictures of her ducklings, could you please post them on the website. I'd love to see them. In closing this resort is clean, beautiful and efficiently run and I would definately recommend it to all my friends and co-workers. Keep up the good work.

4  Thank dar_n_alex
Reviewed February 7, 2008

My wife and i stayed at the Natura Park 1/27/08 to 2/3/08. We booked our trip through Apple Vacations . When our Apple shuttle pulled up, there were only 4 of us that got off and went over to check in. Check in was the worst i have had and we have been to resorts in Mexico 6 times. Then gave us a envelope with our key, safe lock, info and no one took us to room or even told us how to find it. There were 2 bus loads of Canadian tourists that pulled in right after we got there. we walked around and found our room, the key did not work. back to the lobby, by now the lobby is packed. finally got another key and was told they'd deliver our luggage. unlocking the door, it was warm in the room with a ceiling fan on. turned the air condt up, didn't seem to work. the man then delivered our luggage, asked him about the air condt, he fiddled with the switch and then just left abruptly. by now, we're hungry. had no info on restaurants so we went off on our own and found a buffet although the lunch buffet was clearing up to get ready for dinner. after exploring on our own, the grounds are gorgeous, with the ponds, flowers, and landscaping the Natur Park is the prettiest place we have ever been to. Back to the room and still air cont not very cool, remember, we came from Wis with 5 above temps and were still getting used to the warm temps.Went back to lobby, told them about air condt and finally a man came over to look at it. he took the suspended ceiling out and crap fell all over the floor, dirt, dust, pebbles, fiddled with air and said he'd be back tomorrow, (monday)i tried to get the lock in safe, wouldnt fit so the air cont man just pounded the lock into safe and that worked, We both though the food was good at dinner buffet although service is very very poor. tables were not made up with glasses, silver ware and you wait to get drinks if you can even find a server to get you some. went to get a drink at the bar later and service was the same old story. you might wait 10-15 min to get a drink, breakfast buffet was good although the French toast and pancakes were cold. they did have the breakfast meats on hot plates. The beach is gorgeous, sea weed of course, its the ocean( duh) and thats where sea weed come from, they did have crews cleaning up the sea weed. We never had any problems finding beach chairs although i saw a lot of people SAVING Chairs. that is a big gripe to me. Thos chairs are for the guests at Natur Park, they are not your own personal chairs. If you leave to go to dinner, take a nap, etc, the chairs become vancant and are availbe to some one who wants to use them. I personally saw 4 beach chairs with towels, books under a beach hut sit empty for over 5 hrs and no one ever occupied them. That should not be tolerated. Servie at all the buffets was lacking. it would have been quicker and more efficient to have us get our own silver ware, put coffee and drink dispensers in the buffet and let the guests wait on themselves. All inclusive buffets for a week can get kinda routine, but we always found some thing good to eat and the desserts were the best i have ever had. we booked 2 trips with Apple and i must say the outback safari was the best one i have ever had. Learned a lot about Dominican life and their culture and saw a lot of the country and how the people live.coming back from one of our tours, came back to 2 inches water in our bath room fllor. apparently the room above us had a leak and it run through the ceiling. I called the front desk and was surprised that some one was there immediatly to fix the problem, the came in and mopped up the floor. Since the hotel was mostly French, German, French Canadians, we didn't meet a lot of people, The info we learned about the hotel came from our Apple rep and some Americans and Canadians that we talked to. Our room was cleaned daily and no complaints. we tipped the cleaning people daily. To sum it up, we enjoyed our time at the Natur Park, although there service in the buffets, front desk and the bars was poor, service at the beach bars was good. We never knew the hotel had a free shuttle as some other writers have said, we weren't told that nor we were told about restaurants where they were, etc, just found everything out on our own. Our last night there we went to a specialty restaurnat for Italian. We didn't get our reservations in early enough for the steakhouse or sea food dinners. We were seated for dinner at 630 pm and got our food at 815pm.apparently our waiter forgot to turn in the ticket to the chef as people came in later and were done dinner befere we even started, i think that Blau Hotels which owns the Natur Park needs to educate there management on custome r service and to train the staff to be attentive and more organized. The beautiful grounds, beaches and warme weather made up for overall poor service. Would we go back to the Natura Park, yes, only if the price was right. We got a very good deal on the hotel with Apple Vacations, other wise i would like to try another resort in Punta Cana and compare the service. Any questions, please feel free to email me at glsmcs77@aol.com

6  Thank garymary
Reviewed February 6, 2008

My partner and I went to Nature park for a two week visit. We were both impressed with the physical beauty of the resort. The staff were all friendly and helpful. The food was mediocre in quality but it certainly was plentiful. The gift shop was lovely and had a good variety of local giftwares. The beach was beautiful. Contrary to what I had personally read about the beaches being full of seaweed..that was not our experience. There were men there daily raking the seaweed away. The view of the ocean was breathtaking! The pool was great too, cool but when you were in the sunshine it was just fine. The swim up bar was fun and very friendly. Our room was clean and tidy every day. The cleaning staff were very prompt and helpful! We went to two of the ala cartes. WE were not impressed with the Media Luna food. The staff we friendly and helpful...the steak was of very poor quality..but the rest of the food was fine. The Gondola(Italian) was fabulous. The staff were expectional and friendly. We had the lasgna and it was fabulous. We did not try La Perla (seafood) as we had heard from other people from the Maritimes that the seafood was mushy and not good tasting. Since we have easy access to seafood here in nova Scotia, we passed on that. We can't stay enough good stuff about Tony, Maria and Francisco...bar staff and dining staff. Very helpful and fun people to have wait on you. We made fast friends with the staff and enjoyed all of their special attention to details.
I would recommend this resort for its beauty and its super friendly staff!

5  Thank MinniesyKevvy
Reviewed February 3, 2008

Good points: Nice weather, nice beach.

Bad points: Poor quality food (made me sick for almost the whole week) Very crowded, alot of rude people there (not the staff) If you appreciate arrogant French and Obnoxious Americans, this is your place. I had a good trip because I kept an open mind and ignored alot of the annoynaces, but I got a bad vibe from many people there. I am Canadian, yet the french Canadians visting were a bunch of snobby jerks, especially for people on vacation. People would push and shove when lining up for food at the buffet.
If you go to Natura Park, you will constanly be harrassed by vendors, get used to it.
Snorkelly is good but watch out for speed boats, there are many and they cannot see you in the water VERY DANGEROUS! Stay in the marked swimming area while snorkelling!

8  Thank GibsonLesPaul9
Reviewed February 2, 2008

My husband and I stayed at Natura Park Resort from January 21 - 28, 2008. We were somewhat skeptical before we went after reading some of the reviews, but were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the resort and service once we arrived. We had a smooth check-in and were shown to our room which was right at the beach, pool and upper bar. Great location!

The food was good. You will never go hungry. Everyday at lunch aside from the buffets and snack bar they also had an outdoor grill going by the pool and made some delicious stir fry dishes. We tried two of the specialty restaurants. The food was OK, but actually you have more choices with the buffet.

Our room was wonderful. Extremely clean - flowers on the bed and in the bathroom everyday. Floors mopped and clean towels everyday. Absolutely no complaints with the room or the housekeeping staff.
Drinks at the bar seemed to be watered down or were extremely weak. However, the staff did not seem to have a problem with giving doubles when asked. There are two bars right on the beach, so you don't have to go far for a drink.

The beaches are beautiful. The water was warm and clean. The sand is more like powder than sand. The skies were clear blue, with a nice breeze to help cool you off.

The grounds are extremely clean and beautiful. The bridges over the mini water areas, along with the flamingos, ducks, geese, herons and fish make it even more special. The plants/flowers were incredible.
HOT TIP: Regarding the beach chair situation. We got skunked the first day in getting a beach chair. We soon figured out a way to have a perfectly placed beach chair everyday thereafter. We would go down to the beach at night around 10:00pm and pick out two good chairs, place them under a thatch hut, (right by the bar!) and then wrap our towels around the top of the chair. Don't do this with the resort towels because if they get taken you will have to pay $10.00 each. So take a couple of your own old towels and you should be set. It is unfortunate that you have to resort to this, but if you really want a chair you either have to get up before 0600 or try our trick and have a sleep in!

ONLY COMPLAINT: The smokers! Coming from beautiful British Columbia, Canada, we are not used to smokers - especially smokers at meal time. There was suppose to be no smoking allowed in the restaurants, but they don't seem to enforce that rule, which was rather disappointing. However, a small complaint when everything else was so nice, so we tried not to dwell on the smokers and just moved if we had too many of them around us.

BEST ACTIVITY: Find Johnny Be Good (black pants, red polo shirt and big smile) and book a sunset horseback ride. The best $40.00 value you will ever have. Galloping along sandy beaches as the sun sets was the best fun ever! Also the Catalina Island Snorkelling Trip is great. A long day 0700 - 1900, but well worth it. The crew were so much fun and the waters are beautiful.

BOTTOM LINE: For the price you get a clean resort, good food, and beautiful surroundings. The staff were always friendly and liked to help us with our spanish when we asked. We will definitely go back to this resort.

17  Thank waterlogged23