“Dream Come True”

Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #47 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 21, 2009

Prior to staying at the resort I read many of the reviews of the property. My final conclusion after staying there is that you should choose a resort based on what you want out of your vacation. I wanted the sand, the water, decent food, and most of all friendly people--I got all of that and then some.

ROOMS: Many people complained about the rooms or the inability to get items they needed in a timely manner. My outlook on that is that if you don't get what you want initially, it will be provided if you ask again. My vacation was about relaxing and if that is truly what you come to do, it is pointless to get upset over something so trivial as a towl that isn't delivered as soon as you want it. When my family and I arrived (me, my mother, my daughter, and my son) our room was beautiful--it looked just like the pictures on the website. The fact that we only had two washcloths didn't really faze me that much. We requested more, and although we didn't receive them the first time we asked, we got them when we asked again. As previously stated, my goal was to relax--getting upset about a towel was really low on my list of priorities.

Many people have mentioned the dampness of the rooms, and it is a fact that you may experience a bit of humidity. That being said, just come prepared for that--if you're worried about your clothes being damp, bring plastic bags to keep them in. The room was by no means uncomfortable, our air conditioner worked fine, and I really can't complain.

The showers are partially glassed in which means some water will inevitably get on the floor, but it's very simple to wipe it up and keep moving--definitely not a reason to stay away. Overall, I was very satisfied with the accomodations.

FOOD: I would have to say that the food was just fair for me. We ate at three of the a la carte restaraunts (Japanese, Mexican, Seaside Grill) and it was average. It wasn't awful, just nothing to rave about. But again, for me, vacation isn't about the food, it's about the experience so this was just a minor bump in the road. We never had to wait to be seated and the service was always EXCELLENT. Richard (the chef) in the Japanese restaraunt was amazing and personable--loved him more than the food :) I would have to say that the buffet was probably the best place to eat, but I only dined there one night because I was too busy trying to sample the a la carte places.

I don't drink alcohol so I can't really comment on the selection of alcoholic beverages.

BEACH AND POOLS: The beach and pool area were beautiful. Yes, you do have to get up early if you want to get an umbrella for the pool area. On those days that I was unable to do so, there was always an umbrella available at the beach so I was more than happy. Of course there is much more entertainment around the pool area, but you can enjoy the peace and sun in either location.

STAFF: I have nothing but good things to say about the staff. For me, they are what made my vacation special. You can have all of the fancy amenities you want, but at the end of the day, it is the people who truly make a place spectacular, and Dreams Palm Beach has some of the best. First I have to start with the entertainment team. Rey, Gasolina, Lucky, Carlos, Felix, and Patricia are THE BEST. We were only there four days, but in that four days the whole staff became family to me, and I can't wait to see them again. They go out of their way to make everyone feel welcome from the smallest child to the most elderly. Their energy is contagious--especially Rey, I don't know how he does it-- and they always managed to put a smile on my face. In fact, I was so attached, I was in tears when it came time to say goodbye. If you go, be sure to participate in the activities they provide, you will have so much fun no matter how silly you may feel, and they have quite a variety of activities-- from sports to games to clubbing, they have it all. It can't be easy to go out and energize and motivate people everyday, but they do it well. Love them bunches!

Then there is the staff of the Explorer's Club. My eight-year-old son went to the Explorer's Club and I could hardly pull him away to go to bed at night. They are open everyday from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. And I felt perfectly comfortable leaving my son there (he wouldn't have it any other way) for as long as he wanted to stay. I was given a cell phone to get in touch with the staff and vice versa, and it all worked so well. They too became like family to me. Yaniry, Awilda, and Nahiya took such great care of my son, that he too was in tears when he had to leave them.

I feel so in love with the resort and the people that I never made it off the property to participate in any tours or shopping expeditions. When I return, and I will most definitely return, I may consider participating in those activities, but I love the staff so much I want to spend as much time as I can with my Dominican family at Dreams.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
5  Thank FLNikki17

Reviewed September 20, 2009

I just got back from Punta Cana. There were 11 of us in total that went including my 5 yr. old daughter, my 16 month old son and my friend's 11 year old son. I have to say that we had a great time at this Resort. Ok, the rooms do smell a bit moldy, and yes there were many mosquitos, but these small things are really nothing if you think about it. Just take a Glade Plug in, not the Fabreze spray as it is pretty humid there. And also some mosquito repelant if your going in September. I will break it up into different sections for you: I hope this helps. I was on this site when I was I was researching this Resort and found it to be useful! So I just wanted to give something back in return to help you out!

Food:
Food was excellent. The World Cafe (buffet style) was great and offered a variety of international food. They had great Oysters for lunch and Christiano Fernandez was always there with a smile to welcome you to the Oyester section! Our all time favorite was the Himitsu Restaurant. The food was excellent! Our head chef at our table was Domingo Mendoza. Amazing Chef, friendly, funny, and quite charming. He made us feel like family and made our dinner enjoyable, but most of all he went above his duties to give the best service possible. He helped us plan my sisters and my friends son's birthdays! Very memorable!!! Another great chef at that restaurant was Wibert "El Happy". He was fantastic! Full of energy, and kept everyone laughing all the time. They were great!!! Gracias Domingo por todo! Y gracias a ti Wilbert tambien!!
Another great place was Seaside Grill (only dinner, you have to be part of the preferred club to eat there for Breakfast and Lunch!). We had my daughter's 6th Birthday dinner there. (we had 3 Birthdays in total!). We were so happy. They had our table ready for us with balloons, courtesy of Jesse the concierage! They also brought out a cake after dinner that we purchased for $25.00. The staff sang Happy Birthday to her and then hugged and kissed her. A special thank you goes out to Carlos the head waiter for making my little's girl's birthday a memorable one. Also, the food was great. Make sure to check this place out. Lovely Ocean view. Thank you also to Caramello for making our drinks and giving us a great bartending show!!!! :)
The Barefoot Grill was also great. Their on the beach, and provides fast and easy options, like, hot dogs, hamburgers, and french fries.
We didn't have time to check out the rest of the restaurants, but we will on our next visit there.
Another note to mention. My son is 16 months old and is very picky with his food. He loves soups, so Cesar Iniro, one of the Service Directors always made sure that my son had his soups ready for his meal. He always greeted us and made sure that we were comfortable. Anything we needed, we count count on Cesar to get for us! Also, Eduardo Ortiz the sous Chef was great and also made sure that we were ok and that my son had his lunch, dinner (soups) ready for him. Edwardo also co-ordinated the surprise birthday party gathering for my sister and my friend's son at the Himistu Restaurant. He was so friendly and also made us feel like family! Gracias Eduardo! Our servers were great as well. We were a large group of 11 and our table was always ready for us! Just a few to mention: Simon de Los Santos, Tony Valenzuela, Ramos Osuma, Hector, there were too many great servers! A specail thank you also goes out to our lovely hostess who always had a smile on her face, Elizabeth Taveras. Another thank you goes out to the Executive Chef of the resort who always had a variety of great food to choose from as well as a great smile, personality and so easy to approach. Gracias Estrella por todo! :)

Rooms:
Our rooms were nice, just like how you see them on the website. But, it does smell a bit moldy, pillows also smelled a bit. Glade Plug ins are great! We had many mosquitos in our room, but this is normal for a Tropical destination. Just make sure you take repellant. House Keeping came in to clean our room 2 times a day. Once in the morning, and once in the evening. They also leave you the itinerary for the next day activities. Special thanks goes out to Ramon for doing an excellent job cleaning our room and for having a smile everytime. Also, laundry service is pretty pricey. An example: Womens undergarments would cost $ 5.00 (a piece) to clean, mens' would be $ 4.00. It's a good idea to bring a bit of detergent so you can wash whatever you need and hang them outside on your balcony in the morning when the sun hits the hardest and there's less humidity. Clothes dry pretty fast in those hot temperatures!

Explorer Club:
This was great! It's a club that caters to chilren 3 to 12 years of age. First of all, I'm the type of mother who doesn't leave my children with strangers. BUT, I have to say that the Explorer's Club was fantastic. My daughter who is 5 had a blast there. They have so many activities for the chilrdren to do! Treasure Hunting on the Beach, Trampoline: Swimming, Camp Out (but they don't sleep there, just have a bon fire and Movie), Movie nights every night, Splash pad, Ice Cream Party, Wii, Playstation 3 and X-Box inside their clubhouse. They also had shows that they would prepare for all the resort every night on the main stage. They would also take them for lunch, dinner, etc at the World Cafe. They are provided with snacks, hot dogs, pizza, nachos, pop corn, natural juices/pop etc. You also get a cell phone just in case if you need to reach them or vise versa. So if you and your husband/partner want to have some alone time to do some activities, this is a great option that the Resort provides!
A special thank you goes out to: Awilda, Nahyan, Yaniris and Myra for taking such good care of my daughter. They also do babysitting. Very trustworthy for all you parents (like me) who don't like leaving your children with people you don't know! Take my word for it. they are great with kids! My daughter would ask to go there everyday. I think that if it were up to her, she'd be there for the entire vacation!!! You could also see them roaming around the resort doing different activities. You could pop in to see them anytime, but Parents are Not allowed in their clubhouse. It's strickly geared for children. My daughter had such a great time, she even got a Birthday present, an exploer's club bag. Gracias por cuidar a mi princesa. Ella las extrana mucho y manda muchos saludos!

Spa:
Was great and affordable. They had a 2-for-1 deal on messages. We got that deal for $90. This gave us an hour message on the beach, ocean view. You have to ask for that when you book it. Thank you to Doris and Alicia for making our message memorable.
The gym is also located near the spa for those who like to work out. There is a trainer there as well who will work with you. His name is Felix "from the Gym". He's super friendly and great!

Entertainment:
The entertainment staff was excellent! They were always cheerful, friendly, energetic, and always made sure that everyone was having a great time. They would just start talking to us and making us feel like family. A special thank you goes out to the following people:
Richard Ryes, Patricia Espinosa, Carlos, Lucky, El Rey, Gasolina, Felix J. Fermin, Omar, and Dj. Love! There were many activities so you were always busy doing something. Make sure to take part in these activities, because in some of them, you are able to win "Dreams Dollars" (only if you win), and this will able you to take part in their weekly (2 times a week) auction. You could win bottles of rum, bags, neclaces, golf shirts, etc.

Bars:
Were great. Friendly staff, in particular: Daniel (pool bar), Niko (pool bar), but they rotate to different spots; Niko makes a mean Pina Colada. Had many options to choose from. Don't forget to try their famous "Mama Juana" very authentic and traditional Domincan drink!

I hope this review has helped you in some way. I know it helped me when I was researching this Resort. You couldn't get anything better than this. The staff was very friendly. The only thing that we would change is the room. Although we like our Tropical View room, we will definately be staying in the Preferred section/VIP. The rooms are gorgeous. They have jacuzzi tubs! Look at the website for more details. Ask for an upgrade when you chek in you might get lucky and get a good rate! So worth it. They also have a Doctors onsite. We are from Toronto, Canada. We always purchase health insurance especially because we are travelling with children. This came in handy as my son got sick with a throat infection which apparently is very common there along with ear infections. So if you are travelling with infants / young children, make sure to bring Tylenol and also great idea to travel with health insurance. We had to use it for my son this time around. We didn't pay for a thing, our insurance did everything! Thank you to Dr. Angel Gomez for looking after my little guy. You are great!!!

And last but not least! Thank you DJ LOVE for everything. For the great music at the night club (you and Lucky!), and also for your great Dj skills for our nightly shows. Gracias DJ Love. We'll miss you!!! :)

Have a great trip! I know we did! Definately going to recomend this hotel to family and friends. We are already planning to go back next year! Dreams Palm Beach was the best!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
5  Thank Salsera2009
Reviewed September 20, 2009

I would like to say that this resort was absolutely AMAZING! Everything about Dreams is so wonderful. I must say that the staff are incredible, they definitely made my trip there one to always cherish and remember. I would like to thank the following staff that made my trip great: Bar tenders- Nico and Daniel(pool bar) Caramelo(seaside grill); Chefs: Domingo(Japanese restaurant); Entertainment team: Rey, felix,gasolina,carlos,and ofcourse Patricia(towel service GREAT),managers: cesar imirio, eduardo ortiz'; Dj L.O.V.E,Wilberto(chef),Dr. Angel-thank you for taking care of my cousin and everyone else at dreams once again thank you.
This was my first time to Punta Cana and when i go back i will definitely make my way to dreams palm beach. All i can say was THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO MADE THIS TRIP AMAZING!
The Resort is beauiful topped with an amazing variety of foods and most importantly the unforgetable staff. the rooms were great and i can honestly say that going to Dreams was a dream come true.

Thanks again and i will be seeing everyone soon!

Lots of love,

Jessica Z.

• Stayed: September 2009
1  Thank JessicaZapata
Reviewed September 20, 2009

We were extremely impressed with the entire staff from General Manager Jose Corletto, Chief Concierge Hilario Peralta, Cesar and Simon at the World Cafe, bartenders Clemente and Ignacio and Rey from the Entertainment group. They were very accomodating and willing to go the extra mile especially Hilario. He really made my husband's birthday one of the best ever. He is a true professional and genuine nice person. Thanks to all for making this vacation the best.

Reviewed September 20, 2009

This was our first trip to the Carribean and to an all-inclusive resort. It was amazing. We went as a group of three couples. Everyone had a great time.

SERVICE: The staff was amazing and the service was stellar. Everyone seemed genuinely concerned that you were pleased with the service, food, drinks, etc. I didn't notice any difference in service whether you tipped or not because the service was already great to begin with. The staff were all friendly and fun and spoke english very well.

FOOD: The food was amazing. The first night they had a banquet which was delicious. We tried the Seaside Grill, Portofino (Italian), Himitsu (Asian), and El Patio (Mexican). The Italian was everyone's favorite...It was delicious! The Seaside Grill and Himitsu were both fantastic as well. I would avoid the mexican restaurant, as I don't think the mexican food agreed with anyone in our group. We didn't try the french restaurant. We also highly enjoyed the breakfast and lunch buffets available from the World Cafe. Room service was also great.

DRINKS: The drinks were great and of course free, which you can't beat. They don't make the drinks very strong from the pool bars, but that's good if you're drinking them all day in the sun like we were. The drinks are stronger from the dance club and the lobby bar and get stronger at night. The mamajuana shots taste like cough syrup but you should still try it.

ROOMS: The rooms were confortable and clean. They look just like the pictures. Our maid didnt seem to make it to our room until 4 or 5, but it really didnt matter because we were swimming until dinnertime usually. The bed was soft and comfortable. The A/C worked well except for the last night it was a bit warm. The minibar could have been a bit cooler. One couple in our group didnt have hot water at first, but ours worked fine. My only complaint about the rooms is the bathrooms need an update. The strange half partition of glass for the shower does very little to keep the water in, so our bathroom floor was usually wet. Also, the glass door between the sink area and shower/toilet area doesnt provide much privacy.

POOLS: There are three pools. We spent all our time in the one with the swim-up bar. The kids and families seem to stay in the one with the kiddie pool attached. I didnt see much need for the private preferred club pool unless maybe you would rather swim without many people around and didnt want to be near the pool bar. We could generally find plenty of pool chairs.

BEACH: The beach was fantastic. The water was warm, the beach was clean. There were plenty of beach chairs. There was just a tiny bit of seaweed, but it's not like what you usually think of as seaweed, its more like little straws. It's not bad and it doesn't really disrupt your experience. Someone was cleaning the beach every night to keep them clean. The ocean trampoline and inflatable mountain say "kid's only" but no one enforced this and I don't understand how kids would be able to use these anyways. The drink service on the beach was great. Some vendors came by but most of them weren't too pushy and they can't actually come past the palm trees onto the beach area where you sit so you can avoid them.

MISC: The snorkeling/booze cruise excursion from the Dive Shop is well worth the $35. It was a blast. There doesn't seem to be much difference in the "preferred club" and regular rooms or service. Also no real difference between tropical or ocean view. Men do have to were pants for dinner, but can wear sandals. Not all of the restaurants are open every night for dinner so you have to plan accordingly. You felt safe everywhere on the resort and could leave your belongings unattended while swimming and no one bothered them. The vendors that come and set up in the resort on certain nights are pushy, so find ways to walk around and avoid them if you don't want to be harassed. The place was clean and beautiful. I would definitely go here again.

3  Thank mdbeachlover
Reviewed September 20, 2009

My husband and i were at dreams palm beach in april 2009 we loved it that much we went back on september 2nd for another 2 weeks the beach was clean the local guys were up and down the beach cleaning up the little bit of seaweed that was there. The sea was like walking into a warm bath and so blue and clear. Theservice was excellent food excellent cleanliness supurb. The entertainment guys worked very hard and never missed a day without saying a good morning to everyone personally.
venders on beach are not pushy you only have to say no,they can be very entertaining especialley the one known as the king he wears a crown.
There is a lot of beach & pool games.
Staff at all levels service excellent & you do not have to tip them to get the same service as anyone else,They treat everyone the same.
Have booked again for april 2010.
We have travelled worldwide & would find Dreams Palm Beach hard to beat.
We returne home on the 17september 2009.
DO NOT BE PUT OFF BY NIT PICKERS.
TWO HAPPY & SATISFIED TRAVELLERS.

Reviewed September 19, 2009

My wife and I vacationed in many places and normally don't write a review. However, we felt we need to do one after our last vacation Sept 5-12 because we had a wonderful time primarily because of the many wonderful people at this resort and most especially the Happy Chef named "WILBERT". We met him on our first day and had been part of our entertainment almost everyday not mention the tasty meal he cooks at the Japanese restaurant (Teppanyaki). We had 2 occasions to celebrate that week. A wedding anniversary (Ace and El) and 10th birthday of our grandson Theodore. When we asked Theodore where he want to celebrate his birthday, he immediately chose Wilbert. Get ready to be paret of the entertainment.
Everybody in the resort are very friendly except some of them does not speak english. For the ones that does we get to know them better like Octavio, Alejandro, Obispo, Rudh, Elizabeth, and Emily just to name a few.
The rooms are nice just like the brochure and the entire resort is a nice as advertised. The beach is really nice because of just gentle waves and we were feeding the fish with bread right from our hands. The pools are nice and one pool look different from the rest but only because of the paint color of the floor.
The only minor issue is the design of the shower stall. Although estethically nice to look at (glass covering less than half of the tub) but it made taking a shower difficult because the water flows onto the bathroom floor. We did managed to get around this problem by pointing the shower head towards the inside wall and avoid having a mess. Other than that, we had a wonderful time at his resort.

Rey, Rica and family (11 people altogether)

Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family