“nice place, too humid”

Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #47 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 19, 2009

the all inclusive provided all it promised, however the language barrier made it difficult to communicate with staff. There were very pleasant regardless of what you said to them and responded by saying "It's a pleasure." The main buffet was adequate, but it is in a large open air room and birds fly around and land on the bread and fruit. A little unsanitary. No air conditioning. Daily room cleaning often did not happen until 3 or 4pm. I asked several times for room to be cleaned in morning, but it never happened. The most annoying thing was that the resort did not enforce any rules. Children were allowed in the adult pool and hot tub, people smoking in the pool and dropping ashes, drunk people floating their empty glasses on floats. A little more rule enforcement would have been appreciated by all. The resort was beautiful and has potential to be a great vacation spot

3  Thank diamonds44
Write a ReviewReviews (10,959)

Reviewed June 16, 2009

I have a Dream … sandy beaches, warm water, clear pools, cold drinks, good food and great company … it came true at Dream Palm Beach.

My wife traveled from June 5th through June 12th. Our original plan was to go to the Riviera Maya in Mexico, but due to the hassles with immigration, we changed last minute to the Dominican Republic. I usually read trip advisor to get a feel for the hotel in advance, but we booked a five apple special and got upgraded to the six apple Dreams Palm Beach.

Shuttle from the airport to the hotel is only 20 minutes. The resort was renovated in January, so the rooms were updated and the overall facility was in good shape. The resort itself is well laid out and easy to get around. The pool closer to the beach has a swim up bar and is generally more “lively”; the second pool is a bit quieter, cleaner and warmer. There is a third pool (smaller) that it reserved for preferred members (upgrade charge). The occupancy was about half full so there was never any problems finding chairs at the pool or beach. The service was generally very good, (except for one night that room service never came), and several short power outages. Our room had water on the floor, I contacted maintenance and they came and supplied a dehumidified. It did wonders; we were cool and comfortable for the remainder of the trip.

The beach overall was good and is very calm (with no coral). There is some seaweed, but the staff rakes it early in the morning. There is shopping to the right and to the left by local vendors. Bargaining is the rule, in general don’t buy pay more than 40% of the original offer.

The food was very good. We were at Secrets Silversand (Mexico) last November, and Dreams is part of the same parent company and have the same restaurants. The Hibachi restaurant was good, but the Japanese was a miss. Good Steaks at the Seaside Grill and the main buffet The World Café had lobster on two occasions – Dominican Night and two days later for lunch.

So…, every vacation is what you make of it. Ate a lot, drank a lot, swam a lot, sun tanned a lot. We met the nicest people from Canada, Ireland, Romania, England, and the great USA (Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Chicago, etc). Only bad part of this vacation is that my Dream had to end.

TIPS:
- Ask for dehumidifier if your room is damp
- Third floor room have vaulted ceilings (nice)
- If you are any early riser, the pools are wonderful in the morning
- Get to the Hibachi early to avoid a long wait

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Suncand
Reviewed June 16, 2009

We just returned late Saturday, and the sadness is still very present. I cannot describel adequately how magnificent this trip was from beginning to end.

USA3000 from Cinti.-The service has decreased tremendously over the past few years-no pillows, blankets, snacks. At least there is no charge for the movie!

Arrival at airport in DR-went very quickly! Apple reps were on the ball and no waiting at all!

Resort-Friendly-and extremely accomodating! We had adjoining rooms-no elevator-unless you are in good shape-ask for a lower floor! We had 4 kids-this wasn't a problem for us-however I did the water 'gymnastics' and after 2-3 days-my legs were sore!! Fridge was stocked daily-towels replaced-beds made-but the room was never really 'cleaned' while we wre there. Turn down service only occured once. Stil-no big deal for us. With 3 kids-it was always quite unorganized! Twice had 'surprises' in our rooms-a fruit plate/champagne,and prior to our departure-a bottle of rum, and chocolate covered strawberries! Bathrooms-yes-always wet-but a towels works fine! Toilets-not much pressure. One morning-no water at all. Besides our room-the grounds were immaculate! there were groundskeepers out everywhere-and always a "hola'! The most polite people we have ever met!

Pools-always a place to sit-same with beach-plenty of floats as well. Peole try to save them by tucking them under their chairs-but if you ask-they will always let you 'borrow'. The kids had a great time playing the water sports, relays, contests, etc. We joined in as well when we weren't too busy 'relaxin'! The entertainment staff was never pushy. But I sure don't go on vacation to sit and watch others' have fun!

Restaurants-French was by far my favorite-buffet always could find something good. The Japanese was wonderful as well. Our 'chef' wasn't very outgoing-not much of a show-but the food was AWESOME!! Try the Lobster at the buffett-very yummy!!
The shows were not the best we have seen-the Circus is a 'must see', as well as the Carribean Night performers.
I love to dance-so there was always someone knowledgable to give me a spin.

The STAFF! WOW! They are the most hardest working people of any resort I have ever seen! The most gracious, polite, helpful, friendly and just plain FUN!

CON: The Vendor's Night -Nothing but Vultures! Beware! DO NOT let your children walk aroun unattended! They 'give' them items and then send them back to the parents with a 'price'. I had 2 daughters with the same necklace-one table asked $40. the other $15. And they weren't worth $5! They will yell and scream for you even after a 'no thanks'. The most aggressive I have ever seen! And very rude!

We never went to the nightclub-small children prevented this! Same with the casino-but one lady we met-won $375 on the penny machines!

Adventure's Club-Didn't use it a ton-but the staff was FANTASTIC with my girls-a fashion show one night that they participated in and loved-pinata party-lots of games-bungess jumping-movies on the beach-campout-plenty of fun to be had! And VERY professional! The cell phones were a nice sense of security!

We SO enjoyed talking to the other guests-and wish we could have stayed longer! The scuba instructors-we hope to see you in your homeland! Mark-Kathie-Holle-we hope you made it home safe! All the Steelers fans-enjoyed all our conversations! Diana-my partner in crime-had a blast!

I could go on and on...just wonderful.
Adios!!

8  Thank cherrykaren
Reviewed June 15, 2009

My girlfriends and I decided on an impromptu vacation, and randomly decided to meet up at this resort...I could not have been more happy with my experience! I am usually a traveller that stays in hostels, and really gets into the culture of the place that I am visiting, so this was a very different experience for me. We were going for a short trip, so it was really amazing to have an all-inlusive... we didn't have to worry about anything. And not only was the facility itself gorgeous (everything was brand new, elegant, clean), the food was delicious, and the beach was beautiful. But the thing that made this place so special was its staff. The people that work there are so warm and welcoming, they made me feel immediately at ease; like instead of being somewhere new, it was as if I had come home. They are kind, energetic, friendly, helpful and enthusiastic about sharing their culture and their country with you. I have never seen so many beautiful smiles in all my life! I can't say enough good things about the staff here...they were amazing!!! If you are looking for an all-inclusive, this is the place to go.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank melimeli816
Reviewed June 15, 2009

Airline: Sunwing. Not a problem on our way in but a terrible, unfortunate, heartbreaking return home.
I must add that the service on the plane (both ways) was the best I have received!! Awesome staff, caring, friendly. Food was much better than what I have had in the past, hot and tasty; let’s just say better than a cold/stale sandwich.

Arrival: Just as everyone else has pointed out, the resort is close to the airport, it definitely seemed closer than 20 minutes, that’s how fast & smooth the drive there was. I meant to time it, but I was so excited about the start of my trip that I totally forgot. I happened to be part of the second group (2nd hotel) to be dropped off.

Check in: Less than 10 minutes (if that) over by the preferred lounge. We paid for a preferred room with 2 double beds. (We got Building 4- Rm 4311) it’s supposed to be a “tropical view” but in all honesty it is a full view of the preferred pool, Seaside Grill restaurant and almost a full view of the beach, see pictures, stunning!! Oh and the cold towel and the Mimosa (welcoming drink) were a nice touch, nice to have had it (I’m silly I know but I thought it was a good detail)

Room: Absolutely wonderful! Nice and big enough for us.
Bathroom- Yes there is the problem mentioned before by other travelers about the shower and the water on the floor but it is a problem that has a fast and reliable solution: put an extra towel on the floor and that’s it! I wish they would have realized that the set up is neither private nor adequate for it, but then again, for the amount of time you spend in the bathroom really, it is so NOT a big deal.
There were always enough face towels, hand towels, bath towels readily available. There were nice toiletries (it didn’t make a difference for us as we always carry our own since there’s one of us who can’t use all products as she is allergic).
Beds- the MOST comfortable bed I have had while on an all inclusive resort. Unbelievably GREAT! Pillows were good too.
General area- There’s the big flat screen TV, the DVD, the alarm clock with a docking station for an IPOD, a coffee maker and coffee, & the mini-bar restocked daily. There was a table with 2 chairs inside and the same outside (balcony).
They provide you with a fresh bathrobe daily, and there is a new pair of slippers for you on arrival (a Dream’s standard). They bring in a newspaper to you room in the mornings and the activity/information sheet for the next day when they do turn down service.
Very nice hairdryer, magnifying/lighted make-up mirror. An iron and ironing board, a big umbrella and the big safe. Definitely not a lot of room to unpack especially if you go with a lot of women but we just unpacked some things and left the rest in our suitcases.
I have to say that this was the BEST kept room we have stayed at, housekeeping did an outstanding consistent job, Mercedita and the other girls were the greatest! We had turn-down service every night, so basically the room got made twice a day.

Grounds: very well kept, nicely landscaped (the warm weather and the heat kind of give a hard beating to the grass) but everything looked perfect to me. There was a serene atmosphere everywhere I went, a sense of calmness, cleanliness and peace.

Restaurants/Bars: The food was great! I’m a picky eater and I gained a few pounds, I truly couldn’t help it.
For breakfast & lunch we had the choice of the World Café (marvelous!) and we could also go to the Seaside Grill (good for a day or two but not for 14 days, very limited choice/variety of food)
Not to mention we could always go to the BBQ site by the pool and the beach to get chicken, hamburgers, hotdogs, fries.
For dinner we loved 1-Bordeaux (French), 2-Hiatmisu (Japanese/Chinese), 3-Portobello (Italian), 4-El Patio (Mexican)
Room Service was almost not an option as the menu was well, non existent. We asked for it 2 times for supper and the 1st time they forgot the order and it took 2 hours and the second time it got there very late, not to worry I was not disappointed or starving to the point that I needed to get upset seeing how I already had enough meals during the day to last me almost a lifetime of proteins! Not to mention carbs… HAHA.

Drinks were great in my humble opinion (I’m not a connoisseur as I hardly ever drink and the same applies to my family members accompanying me on this trip). I loved the cold Presidentes at the beach! And I saw every other drink get prepared with the brand name alcohol so I don’t think there was reason to complain and like I said not that I’d taste the difference.

Activities day/ night: During the day there are plenty of things to do if you’re interested, I know I wasn’t, I have a stressful kind of job so I went there to chillax, do nothing. My mother and my sister participated in the fitness, exercising, dancing classes and they had a lot of fun.
During the night it was kind of slow, there’s the Disco & the Casino I can’t speak of, as I never visited. On my first day I went to the theater thinking we would see a “show” and all I saw was the entertainment staff make fun (in good faith and in the name of fun though) of us silly tourists so I was kind of disappointed with it and never returned (seeing how I was not going to participate and I didn’t feel like returning other nights to laugh at others). I heard there were good shows after that but I lost all interest & I just wanted to go turn myself in early.

Beach: Perfect, just lovely. Enough huts for everyone, we had our favorite spot and because we are used to waking up early in the mornings we went in put our towels down and spent the whole day there, yes, I am a lazy bug when I go on vacation. There wasn’t any towel game, we all kind of chose where we wanted to be, but if we had lost our “spot” there were plenty of other huts that we could have made our “own”.

Pools: Great, not a pool lover while in the Caribbean but I did go in a couple of times and all of them were clean and the water was warm. Saw plenty of floaters around so I don’t think if you liked one there would have been a shortage. The hotel was NOT at full capacity though, so I could see it all being a problem if it were.

Weather: Fantastic! The sun shined for all of us plenty during those days. It rained one afternoon and it seemed like it was going to a couple of other days but nothing to worry about, it stopped and we all went on with our activities.

Highlights: The STAFF. They are friendly, funny, caring, amazing! Everyone from the bellboy who kindly took our bags to the room, to our check in clerk Ingrid, to the grounds-keeping staff, they were all a joy!
Juan the bartender at the Seaside Grill Bar knew what we wanted all the time, honest, respectful, hard working guy same as the rest, Julio Rivera at the Seaside Grill during lunch and breakfast, the other wonderful guys PLEASE don’t think I don’t remember you, and forgive me if I forgot your names I should have written them all down, but you know who you are, and I tried to always let you know how appreciative I was of your service. Elvis at the Pool Bar, The Chefs at the World Café, the lovely girl that prepares the fresh Juice in the morning, your smile and great service made my mornings. Richard, and Hector you guys ROCK! The girls at the world café you were all beautiful, fun and friendly ALWAYS.
The hostesses at all of the restaurants were such a pleasure to have met! The security guards at the beach and around the hotel were very nice as well.
There is a special place in my heart for Sandra, she works at the Coffee Shop by the World Café, if you get a chance to go in and say Hola to her, please do she is a total sweetheart! She starts work @ 3. I ate my favorite dessert (merenguitos) because she specially ordered it for me everyday after she heard me say one day that I liked them. I don’t have enough words to thank her. (The other girls were good too!)

People/ Guests: I had the PERFECT trip! Over the course of 14 days I was surrounded by the MOST beautiful guests out there, I still wonder and don’t know how I got so lucky this time around; I had never seen anything like it!!! Yes, I have met lovely, beautiful people in the past, but this was like EVERYONE was awesome!!! It was a sea of friendliness, respect, cordiality, like I just can’t explain it other than to say, thank you for making my stay one to remember. Everyone I saw was kind, I saw a lot of people tipping, a heard a TON of THANK YOUs and GRACIAS from the guests to the staff, I saw a lot of guests making an effort to be understood without being rude and even attempting to speak Spanish in order not to hurt their feelings. I saw 4 weddings from May 30th-June 13 and every one of you brides were stunning! Your ceremonies were touching, I felt like I was a part of them, you all looked happy and gorgeous, Congrats and I wish you all a great life together!!! I caught a picture or two of you as well 

Check out: Easy, fast, all of 2 minutes flat. Problems with Sunwing at the airport counter but nothing to tarnish the precious time I spent while on Dreams.

I will definitely return to this resort and if you’re a kind hearted person and you have 2 minutes to spare, please give a bottle of cold water or a soft drink to the beach vendors & beach workers when they walk/pass you by, they will truly appreciate it (they spend all day walking up and down the beach without anything to drink or eat! As they’re trying to earn a few dollars)
Oh and yes, tipping is not required but get there and you’ll feel the urge/ need to!!
If you’ve booked this resort I envy you as I’m sad to be gone and if you’re considering it, please don’t hesitate, this is a true 4 stars according to the ratings & a 5 in my humble opinion.

Should you have any questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to send me a message and I’ll be glad to help. I’m sorry this is long, if you need more details regarding foods/meals at the restaurants, etc, let me know and I’ll elaborate.

• Stayed: June 2009
12  Thank GlobalMapReader
Reviewed June 14, 2009

Front Desk/Check-In
We arrived early around noon, the front desk staff tried to give us a room as soon as it became available after cleaning and checked by the supervisor. However, there was minor delay, and we ended up getting a room on the third floor in a building close to the lobby.

Room
We had a room close to the lobby, spa, Core Zone (games room) and restaurants. Love that location better than the beachside rooms. The room was located on the third floor. Love that high ceiling and fan in the room. It was total of 34 steps of stairs from the ground floor. Love the top floor view & the brightness. Free in-room safe, free Mini-bar, coffee maker, hair dryer, bath robes, ironing board, umbrella, nice English lavender shampoo, lotion and bath gel. Tasteful decor and all.

Couple minor problems – plumbing can be improved, the toilet never flush totally on the first try. Two of the seven days of stay had a minor water problem. But it got fixed within a very short time. The design of the shower is not what I would do in my own house, to avoid the splashing of water during shower. However – deal with it, you are on holiday!

Management/Staffs
Excellent staffs all around. Hardworking and friendly. We constantly seeing supervisors checking everything around the resort, and really belief that they care about the maintenance and keep everything clean and tidy. Job well done.

Beach & Pools
Wonderful pink sandy beach. The sea weed doesn’t bother us. If you are lucky, you may see some beautiful topless ladies sun bathing at the beach. All non-motorized water sports are included. Swimming pools are nice with a swim-up bar. Lots of towel and floating mats.

World Cafe, the only buffet restaurant, but with good variety of food for breakfast and lunch. Many different choices of pizza, pasta, cheese, salad, main course, bread, chicken, beef, pork, seafood, etc. Mexican, Italian, Asian, DR, etc... 5 different a la carte restaurants to choose from for dinner – Italian, Japanese/Chinese, French, Mexican, Steak house (Seaside). Try them all. There is also a coffee shop.
Not just plenty of food. They are of good quality too!

Shopping
Not too much in the resort. You have two other choice. Walk to the right of the beach to get to the Oasis Grant Punta Cana resort shops, or go outside the Dreams Palm Resort and walk for about 5 minutes, you will see the local shopping huts. Make sure you haggle to get a better price.

Casino/Night live
Casino is rather small. We missed most of the night shows, so we don’t have any comment there. The disco has very loud music.

Spa/Gym
They have beachside & indoor massage. We tried the Hot Stone Massage and the Combination Massage, enjoyed both times. We got the two for one deal. Excellent price. If you worry about their skills, I would say our experience of their massage is very similar to our Registered Massage Therapist back home.

Other amenities
• Every morning they provide free short lesson to use the catamaran
• The photographers are very good. You only pay if you want to purchase the pictures for US $10 each
• Wedding gazebo by the lobby or beach side
• Core Zone – Game room has PS3, Wii, Air hockey, billiard, etc...
• Explorers Club (for Children)
• Morning biker tour

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Mousers
Reviewed June 13, 2009

We avoided Playa del Carmen this year because of the news reports on violence between the drug cartels, and i didnt want to be the first tourist to be kidnapped or accidentally involved as an innocent bystander. While quite concerned about the Dominican Republic's depiction in the media as dangerous off-resort, we decided to give it a try (we didnt go off-resort). This property is a refurbished Allegro property. How management accomplished it i dont know, but we found the staff more friendly than any resort we have ever experienced in 30 or more locations. They asked your name, and always remembered it; always cordial, always helpful, going out of their way, even though it is all-inclusive, not much tipping.
We did tip occasionally, maybe $10 after nice dinner service.
The rooms were quite nice and clean with good cold air, no cost mini-bar, and our teenagers ordered room service one night while Mom and i ate at the only restaurant that didnt allow kids (Bordeaux). MY wife enjoyed the many exercise classes on the beach, in the ocean, and in the pool. We liked the dancing lessons, and the kids liked the activities such as volleyball, and the gently organized olympics. The ftiness center is small but with new equipment and a helpful attendant. All of the food was great. Be sure to take 1 pair of long pants for the men, as they are required at the evening meal.

5  Thank spunkydad