“Excellent Resort!! Don't listen to any bad reviews.”

Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #13 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 6, 2009

My family and I stayed at this resort last week and we loved every minute. We were in the Preferred Club rooms and they were clean, bug free and very spacious. The beds are extremely comfortable. Other than the room I don't see a great value in the upgrade. There is a seperate pool for PC guests but the main pool is more fun. There is a PC lounge with internet stations, top shelf liquor and snacks. Good if you want to make your own cocktail and check your email.
The food was excellent. We ate at all the restaurants and the food was delicious at every venue. As a native New Yorker I enjoy good quality food and they all met and exceeded my expectations. The staff provides excellent service and you can order everything on the menu if you want. Although tipping is optional we tiped $10+ at every meal to show our appreciation. They work very hard and are eager to please and ensure your every request is met.
The buffet was terrific for breakfast and lunch. One lunch they had lobster. The buffet is not open for dinner probably because June is the off season.
The beach is clean and calm. There were no issues getting chairs on the beach or poolside. The water was warm and clear. There was seaweed sporadically floating in the water which was annoying at times. In front of the yellow trampoline in the water is a very small reef. Snorklers will see a few fish in that area. Don't bother to go on snorkling trips. There is nothing much to see. The fish are not very colorful or plentiful. Same for the coral and rock formations. Scuba divers will fare much better. We took a full day tour to Catalina Island. The Island is beautifull but the trip to and from is not. 2.5 hours each way via van plus a 30+ minute boat ride each way. You spend more time in transportation than at the island. Not worth the time or money ($80pp).
The spa was nice. We went for a couple of massages. They were running a special 2 for 1 so it was well worth the price.
Nightlife at this resort is minimal. The shows are worth going to. The casino is small but very clean. It's good for playing slots for awhile. There are roulette and blackjack tables also. The disco looks newly renovated and a fun place to grab a drink after the show.
Overall, I highly recommend this resort and I would go back in a second. I truly don't understand the negative reviews this resort has received in the past. There were 5 people in our party and we all loved this resort and have no complaints. Feel free to email me with any questions.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank AQUADREAMS
There are newer reviews for Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana

Reviewed June 6, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Dreams Palm Beach May 3-10. We couldn't have been more pleased with the resort - the accommodations, staff, food, drinks and beach were great. I ditto a lot of what "newfiegirl001" says in her review and in fact we were both there for part of the same time. We had the good forture of meeting some of her wedding guests from Newfoundland - we really enjoyed hanging out with them. I won't repeat what she said here since I agree with her review, but I do want to point out a few things that will hopefully help people if they go to Dreams Palm Beach.

We, as many other people on here, were a little apprehensive about the resort based on the reviews from Trip Advisor. We learned that there are simply some people in this world that will never be satisfied no matter what. Keep in mind that when you're leaving home...you're leaving home behind. Things are simply different - not necessarily worse -just different. This goes for food, drinks and accommodations. If you're going to complain about not being able to get a Bud Light or eating spiny lobster instead of Maine lobster, don't bother leaving home in the first place. The point of visiting different countries and cultures is to see how other people live and do things. Keep an open mind and be patient. There's a different mindset in the Carribean - "island time" is no joke.

Also, it is really unnecessary to drag along huge mugs. The drinks are plentiful, decent sized and at an all-inclusive, unlimited. Not strong enough in your opinion? Be nice to your bartender and tip him/her and that'll change. Running out of premium brand liquor and having to drink house brands - there are worse things in life. We found that tipping, while not required, went a long way. Remember these people are away from their homes/families for weeks at a time and we learned that the average hotel worker in the DR earns about $200 per month. These people work really hard to make guests happy and don't forget that everyone has a bad day now and then. A smile and a gracias go far too.

Just a little observation - ff you are going to smoke on the beach, please pick up your cigarette butts and dispose of them. My husband and I both smoke and we collected all of our butts and threw them away. Don't allow the beautiful beach to become your ashtray. Be courteous to your fellow guests - both smokers and non-smokers.

Regarding that whole chair reservation thing - it's amazing how childish people can be. We did not observe any massive chair reserving on the beach (we could find spots wherever we wanted there), but poolside was a whole other story. Luckily, we preferred to lay on the beach facing the ocean because being from a landlocked state, I wanted to gaze at the ocean instead of a pool which I can easily do here in St. Louis. It would be nice for the staff to really enforce this policy by removing the items from the chairs if unattended for a certain period of time (which is their posted policy) and put an end to this riduculous practice. It's like some people become 3-year-olds by marking things as "mine, mine."

Dont' come to this resort if you are a party hound. It's very quiet and there is not a lot of night life. My husband and I wanted to lay on the beach, unwind, relax and unplug and did just that. We met some lovely British people who were doing the same thing, but for two weeks instead of our one week. We purposely did not seek out a big party place and if that's your thing, you won't enjoy this resort, or even Punta Cana for that matter. There are a few worthwhile excursions however and you should definitely seek those out.

To sum up, we absolutely had a wonderful stay at Dreams Palm Beach. It sounds like that they worked out a lot of the problems that they had when they first opened in December 2008 after the remodel. Sure some things may not go as planned and we do understand that some people do have some legitimate complaints at times, but it seems that a lot of the negativity that I read on here comes from highly unrealistic expectations and a heightened sense of self-importance. Just relax, chill out, enjoy a cold beverage and take in the beautiful ocean and surroundings. Just remember, just because it's different doesn't mean it's bad - it's just different. Life is too short to get worked up about really miniscule stuff.

5  Thank MsGoChiefsGo
Reviewed June 5, 2009

My check in was terrible. The woman at the desk was extremely rude. We got ready for dinner and were notified that my boyfriend could not wear shorts to any of the restaurants except seaside grill. He ended up having to wear a pair of the workers pants every night to dinner! Needless to say our first night was not impressive.
The days were nice in the sun and on the beach. The staff was incredible. Lunch at the grill on the beach was just ok. The drinks are extremely watered down We only had two good dinners, the Japanese and Mexican. the french was terrible and the portions were a joke. As for the Italian, after waiting almost two hours for our entrees we gave up and left. they filled us up with diet coke and dinner rolls. there is NOTHING to do at night. we wnt as a young couple to party a bit! the most exciting thing was the trampoline in the ocean. i have paid way less for much more! If you have this resort booked i would try to change it. Even if your just looking to relax and you dont crave the night life, this resort will leave you dissapointed! i almost forgot... there was a huge cockroach in our room.

2  Thank badbear123
Reviewed June 5, 2009

I was Very worried after reading some of the reviews, being very fussy about where i stay and what i eat, but i need not have worried at all, i went because our mexico holiday was cancelled and i didnt want to change the date because it was my husbands 40th birthday, anyway there is a french, italian,mexican,japenese,chinise and steak resturant also a buffet one from 12.30 til 4pm a buger and fries bar near the beach from 11.30 til 5pm every one was wonderful, you could have everything from lobster and t bone steak down to burgers and pizza there wasnt anything i didnt see or could have, you can get national and international drinks, room service is free and you can use it 24 hours a day, also a coffee and cake shop thats included rooms spotless with mini bar and tv. beach and pool lovely lots of sun beds, not alot to do for teenagers having said that teenagers have got there own club house that was well equipped with wii and play stations etc i would say more a couples resorts and families with young chrildren they realy keep kids entertained and take them to lunch giving parents a well earnt break overall good value for money fantastic food great drinks very energetic entertainment team nice rooms but unless you do trips we only did one which was a party boat everything else is hotel based nothing realy much shopping wise close to hotel swimming with dolphins was very expensive and very far away i think it was a short plane ride away! and heard snorkilling wasnt very good but for a relaxing good food and drink holiday it was very good and came back totaly relaxed and met some great people, would i go back? no only because ive been there and mexico is definately next but if you have booked to go please dont worry a holiday after all is what you make it the hotel is fine and only 20 mins from the airport, and food and drink fab, toiletries expensive at hotel shop and take plenty of sun tan cream and some high factors i took 5 bottles for 3 of us and still had to buy 3 more out there and we used them all it was very very hot

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 2, 2009

i traveled to this resort with my boyfrined from may.23-may.30 2009.
PROS
check-in: quick and greeted with a glass of champagne :)
room:very nice and modern,bed very comfy.
buffet:great variety
restaurants:all very good(seaside grill was our favorite)
beach:gorgeous,lots of chairs and plenty of room
pool:very entertaining
entertainment:fantastic...entertainer's tried very hard to make people have fun.loved gasolina(opne of the entertainer's)
staff:very friendly

CONS
room:air-conditioning system did not work very well,room was very moist
drinks: watered down
casion:staff at the casion are very rude!!!!!

Reviewed June 2, 2009

My friend and I splurged on this trip and paid the extra money for the preferred club and I will say in the end it was not worth it.

Upon arrival we went into the main lobby where a long line was quickly forming which brings me to my first complaint. We were forced to identify ourselves as preferred club members rather than the staff simply saying "Preferred Club Members, follow me" or finding us in some fashion. After we identified ourselves we were escorted by a bell hop to the preferred lounge for the private check in which went smooth. We were then escorted to our room and given a brieif orientation and explanation of the in room amenities.

The room does indeed have all the issues that previous reviews have outlined. It for some reason does always feel damp (after about the first two days). Your bedding will feel damp, your clothing if hung in the closet will feel damp and in our case we had a nice marble floor which moisture clung to and caused an indoor ice rink on a few days.

The room was a little small for my tastes but the room was adequate and clean. I say small because other resorts I have stayed at (for less money) had bigger rooms with a sepearte living room type area. I also don't see where the upgraded mini bar was because the mini bar that we had was exactly the same as all other mini bars in the hotel. Also as I'm sure you have read the shower set up is different and the design allows water onto the floor, the staff have apparently become accustomed to this complaint because they place a towel on the lip of the shower for this purpose. The TV was nice but reception was horrible and most channels had horizontal lines going through them which made enjoying the TV difficult.

The entire bathroom design is better suited for couples and or family members and not for friends since their is barely enough privacy to shower and use the bathroom to get by.

Also another quick note about the room. As in most resorts in Punta Cana when the patio door is opened the air conditioner is set to turn off in our room when the door was closed the a/c would sometimes not turn on, so we had to jiggle it or tap the sensor to fix this problem. Also the toilet was lacking water pressure towards the end of the trip.

The grounds of the resort are nice but could use some additional landscaping. In past resorts I had been to their were flamingos and peacocks on the grounds and they were kind of nice. This however was not a big deal because as I mentioned the grounds were still nice. Dreams could use better signage throughout the resort. For example signs on the pathways telling which way certain buildings and ammenities were as the pathways can get very confusing especially at night.

The pools were very nice and large.

Also better signage is needed at all the resturants. At the World Cafe (buffet) half of the people would seat themselves and the other half would wait to be seated and the exact procedure is unclear, they should have a sign indicating "wait to be seated" or "seat yourself". The food at the world cafe was mediocre at best. Food was frequently luke warm and lacking flavor. Also the hours of the restuarnts at this resort are inconveiant for the guests. We fruequently found that when coming back from an excursion and wanting food there was no oppurtunity to have a decent meal since the world cafe closes at 4:30 in the afternoon and all the resturants don't open up until 6:30 or 7:00
at night. The hours should be expanded to 24 hours for the buffet.

Room service was ok. Typical room servce menu with pizza, ham and cheese sandwichs, and tuna wraps. The room service menu should also include hamburgers and hot dogs and snack items like popcorn, peanuts and pretzels.

The al a cart resturants ranged from good to excellent on food quality. The best resturants for food quality in my opninion were Portofino, Bordeaux, and Seaside Grill. The chinesse/japaneese place and the mexican place were also good. Service was inconsistent at the resturants. Some nights fast and other nights very slow and disorganized.

The grill on the beach that served hot dogs and hamburgers needs some improvement. It was often packed since it is right next to one of the main pools. A few shady areas to eat would be nice along with some improvement in food quality. The buns for both the hot dogs and hamburgers were way too large,offten stale and the hot dogs had an odd flavoring (not bad) just odd. The hamburgers had virtually no flavor. I would still however recommend this place over the buffet for lunch.

The bars were nice but all except for two were stand up only. No stools to sit on. The management could easily put stools in and this would provide a place to sit and enjoy a drink directly at the bar. It's almost as if they (management) wanted you to get your drink and go somewhere else so not to crowd the bar or drink too much. The disco was nice but the way it was set up, it was a joke. It didn't typically open until 10:30PM and the bar inside would only permit you to order certain drinks which I thought was strange.

The casino was small and basically a big money making operation. I would recommend staying away from it if possible as my friends and other people seemed to only lose money at the place.

One one night after coming out of the casino, one of the hotel security guards tried to strongarm rob my friend and I, this nearly ruined the vacation for us. We felt very uncomfortable after this and were reluctant to return to the casino or disco. The hotel management stated they would conduct an investigation into the matter and we later found out the employee was fired the next morning.

There seemed to hardly be any entertainment at the resort which caused alot of boredom. At night it seemed most people simply went to bed. There were activities during the day and evening but they seemed to be for couples and famlies. I'm simply suggesting simple things like the hotel getting a bus and running a shuttle to one of the discos at night and during the day the shuttle could be used to run people to shop. Another suggestion would be to improve the nightly shows (less couple themes) and move them outdoors to an open air theatre near the main lobby rather than having them at the indoor theatre at the other end of the resort .

Another thing that occured is that the hotel permitted vendors into the property one night. The vendors were a little pushy and due to their location you were forced to walk directly past them to get to the lobby area. The vendors should have been placed somewhere else such as a hotel parking lot or not let in at all.

Leaving the hotel the process was very confusing. My friend who had used his credit card to call home was stuck with paying a $38.00 bill for a connection fee upon check out and to make matters worse no one in the hotel had change. So he was forced to give the exact amount. The woman working the preferred lounge who began the check out process directed us to the front desk where she promised someone had change and upon arrivng at the front desk they wanted the exact amount and had no change still. The woman working the front desk also had a borderline attitude problem. Also my friend was not expecting this additional charge since he belived all the charges were placed on his credit card, the hotel staff claimed he was informed of the charge by the telephone operator but he was not.

Later when our transfer arrived to pick us up for the airport, two other busses had just dropped people off and the bell hops were bombarded with luggage. Again something that would have made this process better would have been communication and organization.

The preferred club guests need to be provided with some means of identifying their status such as a gold key card which could then be used to gain entry to the preffered areas. The current set up provides no means of ensuring access to prefeerred guests only. My point being if you can still get into these areas without paying then why pay the extra money for it.

As a final note, I believe Dreams Palm Beach needs some time to develop to truly be a fine resort. I would not at this time recommend this hotel to anyone. If you aleady have a stay booked then don't set your expectations too high.

I expected a vacation commensurate with the amount of money paid and I did not get anywhere close to it.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank kmain31
Reviewed June 1, 2009

We visited this resort from 5/10/09-5/16/09. The first day we were there I fell in a puddle of water from a leaky roof and hurt my knee. The second night the roof leaked in our bathroom and flooded the room, so we moved rooms. The other two rooms we moved to had mold growing in the drapes, ceiling, and the comforter on the bed. The food was awful it was always the same thing. The best places to eat were the pizza and taco stands. We were supposed to have the honeymoon package but never received it. I heard that the Royal Club area was a little nicer, so I offered to pay for an upgrade and was told no. I will say the beach is beautiful, we will go back to the Dominican but not the resort.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo