“Spend a little extra and go somewhere else”

Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #47 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 1, 2009

We visited this resort from 5/10/09-5/16/09. The first day we were there I fell in a puddle of water from a leaky roof and hurt my knee. The second night the roof leaked in our bathroom and flooded the room, so we moved rooms. The other two rooms we moved to had mold growing in the drapes, ceiling, and the comforter on the bed. The food was awful it was always the same thing. The best places to eat were the pizza and taco stands. We were supposed to have the honeymoon package but never received it. I heard that the Royal Club area was a little nicer, so I offered to pay for an upgrade and was told no. I will say the beach is beautiful, we will go back to the Dominican but not the resort.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank daisyadw

Reviewed May 31, 2009

Ok I had to write this review for anyone worried about staying here. I am actually still here from May 29th through June 8th. I went with friends and some family 8 of us and we just loved the resort. I will break it down for you so far:

Location:

Wonderful, only 20 minutes from the airport. Not in Bavaro Beach area where most of the other resorts are so a little more quiet. Waters not as blue but so calm and great for snokling, swimming and for the kids.

Beach:

Was in Punta Cana back in 2007 and again in 2008 and always stayed in the Bavaro area. The water color is bluer than in the Dreams Palm Beach area but the water is so calm and relaxing here. I will agree with prior reviews the water appears to have been very full of seaweed at 1 time but was dredged for the resorts or by the resort so the first 30 or 40 feet out is calm blue/green water perfect for kids and swimming. But beyond that is is dense seaweed (darker color water) and the seaweed does wash up to the beach and in the water. Was kind of skeeved the first day but you get used to it. Overall great. The sand is wonderful soft and bright white. We are not finding any issues with finding chairs, palapa huts or shade. Just beautiful

Rooms:

Beautiful, exactly like the brochure and online. Beds are amazingly comfortable. Refreshing for an all inclusive. Most beds (Riu, Iberostar, Bavaro, Bahia, Majestic, Melia) were all hard by comparison. Great linens too and pillow choices are great. Also the rooms are not tremendous but adequate and the bathrooms are large. We stayed in the preferred club. I have a jacuzzi room as do 2 of my other friends. The rest all have suites (free upgrade). They all had minor problems with AC but all worked it out. The rooms are immaculate. You are suppose to get maid service 2 times a day with turn down service. So far we only had it our first night. We did not get it night 2 or 3, but I did call. Was really nice our first night. I agree the showers are not fully enclosed so water does get on the floor. Please get over it!! Put down the tub mat towel they give you on the floor and its no big deal. I will agree wth reviews about the moisture. The rooms are damp. I picked up Damp Rid from Home depot before I left and hung 2 of them in my room. They really did help and boy did they pull out water in the room. It is the caribbean remember. My only other very minor complaint is lack of drawers. You really only get 2 or 3 at most. If you are someone who likes to unpack everything it was annoying and they only give you like 8 or 9 hangers. There is a DVD player in the room and an MP3 player. Both are great and a flat screen LCD TV. There a good selection of channels but they are mostly in spanish.

Food:

Ok I am italian/greek from NY and I cook very well and I was very happy with the food. Anyone who complains is just out right picky!! The italian restaurant was great. We went with a large group so we really tried everything and mostly everything was awesome. Lasagna, Linguini carbonara, the steak all great. We also dined at the French restaurants so far. Also excellent. Steak and brie were great. We dined at the Japanese place tonight and it was also excellent. If you go to the aisan restaurant you can either have Japanese at sit at the hibachi or you can sit at the tables and have chinese food so good variety. The Mexican restuarant was also great. We are going to dine at the sea grill/steakhouse tomorrow but heard its very good too. The buffet for breakfast and lunch was great. We did not see the lobster that others have written about but still good variety none the less. My only complaints food wise was the bread. It was almost always stale and not very good. I miss bagels :-) Overall some of the best food at an all inclusive I have stayed at before and I have done many. Restaurant decor was very nice too. You really do feel like you are dining out in really nice restaurants in town.

Drinks:

We found the drinks to be great and they did have top shelf liquor to add if you wanted it and they made cosmos, appletinis etc. You name it they had it. Even baileys which we drank every night after dinner. I did not find any issues with drinks and they did have drink service on the beach. They were not that speedy but got at least 3-4 rounds of drinks a day on the beach. I will agree the drinks are the best at the lobby bar but the drinks at the preferred club and the pool bar were good too. We loved the Sammy Souza's. Overall happy with the drinks. Better than at most other all inclusives I have stayed at.

Entertainment:

Very quiet. The entertainment crew (Gasolina and the crew) tried but it was not very good. The shows are held in the conference room at night so it is air conditioned and not buggy like some of the shows I have seen at other resorts. The disco was good but never ever crowed. The casino as others indicated was pathetic and not really anything to speak of. Maybe 20 slot machines in total if that, 2 roulette tables and 1 blackjack. That is pretty much it. Also in the lobby every night they had a man playing the organ singing. Wasn't so bad. They did set up movies every other night by the wedding chapel which was nice if you wanted something mellow.

Kids club looked very nice but never crowded and they did provide a daily listing of activities in your room so you could see what was going on including theme nights, restaurant hours, teen, kid and adult activities, the drink of the day and weather conditions for the next day. They did keep you informed.

Grounds:

Very nice grounds, Pools were immaculate large and very warm. Some of the nicest I have been in in the all inclusives. The pool area had really nice loungers with cushions. Also seemed to be plenty of them. The preferred club pool was VERY small and too quiet for my liking. It did seem relaxing though. Ground are immaculate not a piece of paper to be found. I loved the size of the resort not too big but enough to do and walk around to make it interesting and fun.

The Staff:

We found everyone so polite, nice and always had a smile. They honestly could NOT do enough for you. Everyone we encountered was helpful and pleasant. Of course this is a spanish speaking country so almost everyone spoke spanish and only a handful spoke english. Considering the resort seems to cater to mostly american clientele it would be nice if some of the staff spoke better english (wait staff and desk staff).

Other key things to note. The resort was at 1/2 capacity this week while we are there. We did not find it difficult to find chairs or loungers. I can see how if the resort was full it might be more challenging. Here is the issue. Most hotels require you to turn in towels and hold on to them all week otherwise you result in a towel fee. This resort has no such policy. You can seriously take as many towels as you want and most people do and you do NOThave to return them. They leave them on chairs and walk away. This makes guests think people are reserving chairs or using them when in fact they are not. People just left their towels laying on the chairs because they are too lazy to deposit them in the hampers all over the resort. This is what causes the confusion. if we saw towels with no people, books, lotions or bags laying around we simply took the chairs and so far so good. I think some people reserve early while others are just too lazy to return the towels to the hampers because there is no penalty for not returning them. Also the staff should do a better job at removing drink glasses as well. This further adds to the confusion.

Lets talk about the Preferred Club:

I honestly do not see the value. We were upgraded for free so we did not pay for it but I did consider it many times before coming and was torn about spending the money. Honestly the only difference compared to the average rooms available to most that we could see is as follows:

1) Preferred Pool - Too quiet and very small not worth the upgrade
2) Preferred Club Lounge - They did have top shelf liquor and drinks available all day and free internet access. Other than that not really much value.
3) Sea Grill Restaurant - It is a small restaurant that is a steakhouse in the evening but open for breakfast or lunch for Preferred Club members. Food was limited and not really much value. The World Buffet was better
4) Toiletries upgrade: Not really much to it. Same items you get at most normal hotels. Nothing to write home about
5) Pillow menu - Never offered and even after requested a down pillow never received
6) Twice daily maid service. Only happened first night never had turn down service after first night
7) Beach towels put in your room every night for the next day (since we never go turn down service never got the towels). Not a big deal they are everywhere in the resort. I can pick up my own towels
8) Preferred Beach - Same beach as everyone else. Same chairs, same Palapas, same service. Do not see the point. No sunbeds etc.
9) Upgraded Mini-Bar - Non existent. Same mini-bar as everyone else. Actually other resorts I have stayed at had liquor in the room. Never provided by Dreams.
10) Free internet access for the room - You get 10 hours of free internet for a 6 night stay. Cost $25 for 25 hours of internet services in the internet cafe without Preferred club. . Really only real savings. You have to ask for it and get a log in username and password to access.
11) Rooms seem to be about the same just closer to the beach. Really did not see the room difference with the Preferred club

Bottom line really not worth the extra money. Truly did not get anything worth while with the upgrade.

Overall this resort. was a great, great value. Its a beautiful resort with a gorgeous beach, ammenties, great restaurants and food, Mostly american which is a refreshing for the all inclusive travelers. Most resorts seem to cater mostly to Eurpeans so this was a nice change. Great drinks, awesome welcoming staff and most of all comfortable beds and well kept grounds. Close to the airport and easy to get around. not too huge a resort. Loved it and will definitely make Dreams a must stay at resort chain for me in the future!!

Email me if anyone has any questions. DO NOT listen to all the complainers. Truly nothing to complain about at all. It was wonderful and defintely 4-5 star all inclusive resort.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
15  Thank fjv51068
Reviewed May 31, 2009

We stayed at the Resort for a week from Memorial Day weekend to the following weekend. There are a number of good things about the place - the beach really is a lovely setting, the pools are nice, the grounds are well kept, the room was clean and pretty and the bed was very comfortable. Also, the staff is very friendly (especially if you tip them).

The drinks were good and plentiful. The rum drinks are stronger than the others so go with those if that's important to you. I found the rum punch particularly tasty.

We really only had 2 problems with the Resort, but they were significant for us. First, the food at the restaurants is awful. Bland at best, overcooked and barely edible at worst. However, the buffet was good - varied and a number of things were cooked fresh while you waited. I wish the buffet was open for dinner, but in the off-season, it's not.

The other problem was the beach. It is LOUD. There is music constantly playing from amplifiers that the staff drags to the beach. There are classes (aerobics etc) every day on the beach or near the pool, all requiring music. Also, the nearby Oasis Hotel plays music constantly just a few hundred feet from the Dreams beach. If you like a quiet beach-going experience, this isn't for you.

We didn't go to the casino, and we didn't see any of the shows. I had a pretty good pedicure at the spa. Although the polish job was amateurish, she really spent a long time on the scrubbing. (The pedicure uses one of those foot bath things you can get from Target. Just a warning.)

Would we recommend it? Yes, with reservations.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DCDoll
Reviewed May 30, 2009

We booked through apple vacations and did the Dreams square deal for Punta Cana. We ended up at Palm Beach Dreams. The flight was nice, USA 3000, about 3.5 hours. Upon arrival, the airport, was really cool! You exit the plane on the runway, and going through customs was a breeze. We were out with luggage and on the bus to the hotel within a half hour. The workers (most of the workers) at the airport were not friendly at all. Not a smile, or "welcome" or anything. They force you to take a picture with a Dominican lady in traditional garb so they can try to sell it to you on the way home. This lady in the pic with you seemed like she was being held there at gunpoint-made for a terrible picture. Then there was a Mariachi band playing and as you pass them on the way out, the don't even look at you until you don't put $$ in their hat. Then they kick the hat at you so you give them money. No thanks. When you get your luggage, there are about 30 men waiting to carry it for you. I was traveling with my husband and only had 2 light suitcases on wheels, so I politely said no, but they were really persistent and pushy. Even as you walk away, they almost chase you to carry it. Again, could have done without that. They didn't look like airport employees, and I didn't trust them.
Once we found our Apple rep, he was really friendly! Our stuff was put on the bus, and we tipped the gentleman who stowed out luggage and the bus driver. They were very welcoming and gave us an informative speech on the bus ride to the hotel. What is safe, what is not, etc.
Dreams Palm Beach was the first stop for our bus, it was about 20 minutes from the airport. The roads are terrible and the area we drove past was very very poor. The driver could definitely handle it, and we made it to the hotel safe and sound.
Once we got to the hotel, they greeted us with cool, wet towels and mimosas! It was wonderful. The lobby was clean, cool (it was all open, but plenty of fans and a great breeze). We booked a standard room, but wanted to upgrade. With a little negotiating, we were able to get a preferred suite for about $60 a night more. I would recommend upgrading. Although I never saw the standard room, the upgraded room gave us a jacuzzi, internet access/computers (in the preferred club building), access to the Seaside Grill for breakfast and lunch (for all others, it is only open for dinner), a private pool and private beach. They were not all that strict (from what I could tell) about who swam in the private beach/pool, but I was happy to know I was allowed to use it. It is extremely expensive to call from the hotel, even with a phone card, so emailing was how we kept in touch with family. Our room was located in the back of the resort, 30 steps from the beach/bar/pool. It had a partial ocean view, full pool view, 1st floor. It was awesome and almost too convenient! We hit the bar all day long! It was soo fun.
Day 2 of our trip, it was nice weather all day. We swam in the pool with the swim up bar and drank waaaay too much. It is easy to do :) It was one of the best days we had there. We met a few other couples at the pool and had a blast! Good thing our room was so close, when it started to rain at about 5p.m. I knew rain was in the forecast, but there was a freak monsoon! Our room flooded, and there was a bunch of workers busting their humps to help get the water out. My husband had put all our stuff on the bed so nothing got wet and I went down to the main lobby to get a new room. Everyone was so nice and apologetic. They told me to have a seat and within 10 minutes they had given us the honeymoon suite gratis!!! This room was amazing! I could not have been happier with service I got from the front desk. A man named Manny escorted us to our new room and helped us carry our stuff. They gave us the best room in the resort! We had a full ocean view room on the 3rd floor. There was a huge balcony with a table, 2 chairs and a hammock ( i used that a lot!!) It had 2 bathrooms, 2 big screens, a huge comfortable king sized bed and a jacuzzi and separate stand up shower. It was an unbelievable room! It would have cost $175 a night more to stay in this room, and they gave it to us for free for the rest of our trip.
The restaurants were great as well. The food was great, tons of seafood. My husband loves seafood and had it everyday. Lobster tail at the World Cafe was one of his favorites. I am not a seafood fan, and there was PLENTY for me to choose from. Steak, chicken, pheasant, anything you want. French, Italian, Japanese Hibachi, Mexican restaurants were all open every day for dinner. The world cafe was a buffet open for breakfast and lunch. Again, they had a huge selection for all tastes. Also, they were open again after dinner, 11p-6a for late night food too. 24 hour room service too. The room service menu was a little limited, but the food was good. The seaside grill was the ocean front restaurant and bar. The menu was great, steaks, chicken, shrimp, seafood, dessert. We ate here 3 of the 7 nights! I loved the ocean view and breeze as we ate.
The number one thing about this hotel is the staff. I cannot say enough about this group of angels. They were so friendly, helpful, and hard working. The grounds were beautiful and the staff worked their butts off to keep them beautiful. A lot of fountains, palm trees, flowers. We loved to walk around the resort, take lots of pics and just enjoy this paradise. The restaurant staff, I felt as though they were old friends. Always smiling, singing, happy!! You can tell when someone loves their job genuinely and these people definitely did. I could not tip enough. They tell you that tips are included, but everyone tipped at least $1 or $2 per meal/service. We brought about $115 with us in $1's and $5's. I wish I had brought more. I could go on and on about the service. By the end of the trip, I felt like they were a part of my family.
There is a casino at the resort, but we never went there. We aren't gamblers so that wasn't an issue for us. There is a dance club, again, it's not really our thing, but from what the other guests said, it was pretty good. Not too crazy, but good music and air conditioning. They had shows every night, but I preferred to talk long walks around the property and beach and have a few drink at the Rendesvous bar in the front outdoor lobby with my husband. We never went to any of the shows, but I heard they were pretty cool.
It was really humid all week. Never had anymore rain since the 2nd night, so I am assuming it is always humid and warm. I have mild asthma, and sometimes humidity makes my chest feel congested, but I never had a problem. I loved the weather!! The evenings were beautiful as well.
This resort was the best I have ever stayed at. We normally go to Cancun/Riviera Maya through Apple vacations. We always stay at 5 or 6 apple places, but I am definitely hooked on Dreams Palm Beach!
If you have already booked, you are in a for the time of your life. I highly recommend this place to all, young and old. There were plenty of all ages here. Tons of kid activities and all kinds of water sports for adults if you wanted to participate. Dancing lessons on the beach were fun as well. Relaxation, sun, good food, and good people. Most tourists seemed to be Canadian, English, and European. Less than half were American, I loved meeting people from different areas of the world. Most staff speak English, limited, but communication was never a problem. If you know at least a few basic Spanish words you will be all set.
I know this is a long review, but I just wanted to do this resort justice. We had the time of our lives and were sooo sad to leave. I recommend this place and have posted pictures to give you an idea of the paradise we left behind. Hope you book here, I will definitely be back soon!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Weinerdogs123
Reviewed May 27, 2009

My family just returned from DPB and stayed from May 16-23. We were worried that the 7 day stay might be a little too long for the resort, but it was just perfect. Check-in was a snap and super quick, room was ready as soon as we arrived at Noon.

Room was nice, i agree that the bathroom is strange, no privacy with a glass door and the shower is funky - we always got the floor wet. The room safe was big enough for me to fit my Digital SLR camera, a mini laptop and plenty of other valuables. Beds were made every morning and then turned down each night while we were at the show.

I would consider the food just average but in no way was is bad. The buffet was plentiful with just about everything you can imagine. We didn't eat the bread though because there were always birds flying in and grabbing it. The Japanese hibachi was awesome, and their fried ice cream wonderful. One complaint would be that I wish the food buffet was open for dinner - it closes at 4pm - my daugher is a picky eater so she didn't like many items at the restaurants. I would also get to the restaurants early around 6:45 because by 7:15 there is about a 45 min to one hour wait at times for the popular restaurants.

It wasn't very crowded during our stay so the need to reserve chairs was not needed, but if you wanted an umbrella you had to get to the pool before 11am. Activities were ok - alot of the time they were listed in the daily sheet of activities but didn't happen - i think because there wasn't enough people sometimes. Frank at the pool bar is awesome - made great drinks! And, Gasolina (its a guy), is hysterical and always fun to hang with - he is one of the entertainment coordinators.

Shows were ok - some good, some not so good - but that was fine. The Theater is really nice and large. My daughter, who is 10, liked the Core Zone which is a 2 floor building with pool table, air hockey, Wii, PlayStation, XBox and computers. She was just about the only 10-15 year old kid at the resort during our stay.

Beach was beautiful, water activites were fine, try the scuba lesson with Francois - he is really nice and became a good friend the entire trip. We had sun for most of the trip but a few day were overcast but no rain until late afternoon around dinner.

The resort offers WiFi for only $25 for 25 hours or you can rent it for an entire week for $60 flat charge. The connection was excellent. Spa was good, my wife and I both had a 25 minute massage and my daughter had a manicure/pedicure utilizing the vouchers from the resort.

We had rain several nights but late at night when we slept. Two other nights around 8pm storms came in - so bad that the first floors flooded - about 3 inches of rain throughout the halls and they had to put towels in front of all the doors. One night the power went out in the entire resort for about 5 minutes from a bad lightning strike. We stayed on the second floor and never had any problems. I would try to ask for a 2nd or 3rd floor room just in case it rains heavily =)

All in all - a nice stay for a great price.

Oh, and everone - i mean everyone is really nice.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank jason08505
Reviewed May 26, 2009

When we first arrived at the hotel, we were offered a glass of champagne to start off our nice vacation. We had a chance to have a glass of champagne every night if we wanted! The weather was great, even though they told us that the month of May was the worst month to have great weather.The resort was clean and the staff very friendly ! What I liked about this resort also, what the fact that it's not a big resort and very close to the airport. Food was okay and the resort could have been better here and there. Overall, it was definately a 4 star hotel. If you have a chance to go horseback riding, I recommand it !! Even though i'm not a horse lover, I loved my experience!! (only $40)
I would recommand this hotel to families and couples.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank anne-sophieb
Reviewed May 25, 2009

We just got back from Dreams Palm Beach and with a 2 year old and a 5 year old I have to say that I came back to work absolutely relaxed. My 5 year old loved the Explorer Club and could not wait to return day after day. They even gave us telephones so that we could call and check up on her whenever we wanted to - not that we had to because they were always easy to find and always having fun.
Cesar and his food services crew were fantastic!! He always ensured that his customers were happy and would do whatever he could to make your stay even more comfortable.
I have been to many resorts and this is one that I will always come back to.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family