“Wished we could have stayed longer...”

Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #15 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
jennam824
“Wished we could have stayed longer...”
Reviewed May 23, 2009

My husband and I loved this resort and wished we could have stayed longer. The service was great, the staff was awesome, and our room was immaculate. I honestly, don't have any negative things to say. I felt guilty, like I was missing something, if I sat in my room. Because there are so many other places to go, we may not return to Punta Cana, but would definitely stay at a Dreams resort elsewhere.

For those who have already booked a trip, I'll give you a few heads up. In your room there should be a brown leather book telling everything there is about the hotel (room service is free, the white flag on the beach is a jellyfish alert, etc) and gives you a good idea of all things the resort has to offer but doesn't run out and tell you. All patrons at this resort are authorized $200 in coupons to the spa, wine, etc and must asked for and claimed at check in. Always ask for an upgrade, obviously. It happened to many people we spoke with. If you have a problem or question and need someone who speaks good English, go to the front lobby, the desk to the left of the Apple Vacation's desk. If you have kids, the resort has an Explorer's club for children staffed with only females and they offer many different activities (i.e. babysitting) that the parent will not have to supervise. They have a teenage building with XBox, so if your teenager is ruining your trip send them that way.
Always go to the shows they have at nighttime. They bring in outside performers and they do an excellent job. Stay away from the Casino! The pregnant dealer is ice cold at takes all your money. However, if you do choose to play, ask them to shuffle the deck before playing (not many people pay so its empty, you never know what they're up to). Drink the mamajuana stuff - its excellent for all those who think the other drinks are weak.
I heard the massages were very good. The pedicures were expensive and not what you would expect for the $60 they charge.
We rented a car from the concierge desk and drove around the island. Definitely not for the faint of heart! If you like off the beaten trail sort of excursions that's the only you will get it. People drive crazy - we almost died twice. Wear running shoes.

Meet people, have fun! A vacation is all about what you make it to be!

2 Thank jennam824

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,809)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Queens,NY
Reviewed May 21, 2009

My boyfriend and I went in (Easter) April...from the get go the airplane ride was horrible Delta overbooked and lied about it...therefore we arrived to the hotel a day late, apple said they would call the hotel and "see what they could do"
Finally we arrived and it was a nice place, well manicured. The rooms are just like the photos (however there is a dampness in there, open air so mosquitos in room nightly). The restaurants actually all serve the same food from the buffet we noticed, they are just dressed up differently. The birds fly around in open air buffett, hope you don't get hungry for snacks at night-ghost town! The entertainment is Gasolina yelling "security" to random people and asking "are you happy?" (which was pretty much the highlight of our trip-exactly pretty sad) The casino was very very very small. Overall it was not an exciting or fun trip it was just ok. If you are looking to party, go elsewhere. Around 12 each night the grounds are dead...we were confused! We never got our day back the manager acted like he couldn't speak english, then told us to return to see another manager who never was around then told us there was nothing he could do. We did get the impression he was a liar, Apple was NO help they suck, poor customer service. Overall it was a boring trip, I would not return. PS- You have to pay $4 per 15 min for internet, drinks are not strong-the lobby bar makes best drinks. The hotel is boring I can't stress that enough for people who are looking to party even a little!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JB139
Whitehaven Cumbria
Reviewed May 21, 2009

My husband and I have just returned from Dreams Palm Beach and I can honestly say it was one of the best resort we have ever stayed at and we have travelled to lots of other resorts including Barbados, Jamacia & Egypt We are both in our 40's and were suppose to go to Cancun to celebrate our Silver Wedding and this place did not let us down, we met so many nice people and everything was exactly as the brochure showed

Rooms were modern and immaculate and the towel art was great (Room 2307)

Food was excellent so much choice , our favourite was the French and the Sea Side Grill but all were very good including the buffet which served Lobster almost everyday

Bars were all fun serving everthing from Champagne Beers Cocktails Wine Etc Etc We enjoyed the Pool bar during the day with little Frank, Leon, Martha and Alberto they were so happy and went out of their way to get to know you, at night we mostly went to the Lobby bar where Clemente worked , he was the happiest person ive ever met we only went to one show which was very good

Excursions, We went on a Snorkling trip and to Saona Island both were excellent and worth every penny

Weather was graet a couple of thunderstorms through night and a couple of showers through the day but very short

Activities during the day were non stop something for everyone , Gasolina & Ratata were Excellent they kept us amused everyday they went out of their way to make sure everyone was having fun

Overall we enjoyed everything about this place but the staff are what makes this stand out from the rest and we will definetly return

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tompi
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed May 19, 2009

My boyfriend and I are both young professionals in our mid-twenties. We stayed at Dreams Palm Beach from May 6th - May 11th and had an AMAZING time.

First let me say that the staff here make the entire experience worthwhile. Many of them work 12 - 18 hour days and maintain a level of energy, enthusiasm, courtesy and delight which is unlike anything I have ever seen. Our favorites were Nataniel, Medina, Milky Way and of course the infamous Gasolina. The staff goes out of their way to know you, get you involved in the many activities at the resort and provide you with the very best service.

We stayed in a Standard Garden View Room, and it was exactly like the pictures on the Dream website. We used the ipod dock daily, watched a movie one early morning on the dvd player, ordered room service on several occasions, and even came upon a hermit crab walking across our floor one afternoon. We affectionately named him and played with him for a little bit before letting him outside on the sand. The showers do let water onto the floor some, but put a towel down and its really not a big deal. The safe in the rooms are large and you set your own code when you get there - so no worries about having to lug around a key. The beds are very comfortable, and there is even a pillow menu available if you like more firm or more soft pillows. Our mini fridge was restocked daily with several types of soda, beer, water and juices. Keep in mind that the hallways are open air so yes, a mosquito or two can get into your room. Needless to say, I was never bit. Bring some repellent just in case, but do realize that all of these resorts have open air hallways so this will probably be consistent with any resort in the Dominican.

The restaurants were all good to very good. We ate at all of them except the Seaside Grill. My favorite was the japanese steakhouse but my boyfriend's favorite was the italian. The buffet serves fresh steaks, lobster, fish, chicken and the like. They will grill it for you fresh in front of your eyes. The pizza was a little lacking, but who the heck eats pizza over freshly grilled salmon anyway? Also, here is a tip: Get to the restuaurants at 6:30 and you will never have to wait. We loved the food, and when we did find things that weren't all that great, we just tried something else. Easy.

There are multiple bars at the resort, including the swim up bar. The bar at the lobby has the best and strongest drinks. There were only a few obnoxious people who brought their personal extra large beer mugs. We just shook our heads at them, and were kind of embarassed to hear the Candadians talk about "those Americans". Now, if we could have done something differently, we probably would have brought a bottle of bacardi with us, because during the day especially, the drinks were a little on the light side. We weren't really too disappointed though. The resort can't make money pouring out 100 bottles of Stoli and Bailey's every single day.

The activities at the resort range from things such as salsa lessons, water aerobics, catamaran lessons and volleyball tournaments. We participated in some of these events and enjoyed them, but also spent a lot of time relaxing around the pool, reading books. At this resort you can be as busy as you want to be, or spend all your time relaxing peacefully if that's what you want to do. Each night there is a special event at the theater (karaoke, tropical show, etc.) and these are usually pretty entertaining. Kudos again to the entertainment team. They work very, very hard.

All in all, we had an amazing experience. We only wish for 1) that bottle of bacardi and 2) that we could have stayed longer. When we return to the Dominican we will surely go back to Dreams Palm Beach.

Excursion Sidenote - We loved the Reef Explorer excursion and did not like the Deep Sea Fishing.

3 Thank Wiggin-Stein
sudbury
Reviewed May 19, 2009

We have just returned from Dreams Palm Beach after having a lovely 2 weeks. We never had any of the problems mentioned before with loungers either by the pool or at the beach.

We paid the extra for the preferred club which just gave us better smellies than normal rooms I presume as the rooms originally given (block 4) where nice room but only had a shower in it. As we are a family with small children (20 mths and 5 years) I expected there to be a bath as in the brochures in England to go into the preferred club your room apparently has upgraded bathroom amenieties i.e. the better smellies etc. I complained straight away but nothing could be done until the following day when the manager would be in. I have to say as soon as I spoke to the manager he did move our rooms to block 3 which had a massive bath in it talk about overkill!!! The maid came in twice a day and cleaned the rooms beautifully.

Everyone working at the resort was lovely and friendly, Patricia from the explorer club was especially nice all our children wanted to do was play in the pool but she always came over to see if they wanted to do anything which I thought was nice.

My main gripe is the service by the pool and the lobby bar at night wasn't great, the service once they finally came to you was hit and miss if you would get the right drink which sometimes was quite funny it was guess the drink on several occasions.

Also I know this is not the hotels fault as the resort was absolutely spotless they where always cleaning and as for sweeping up seaweed what a useless task god love the men who where doing it, a bit like painted the forth bridge I would say never ending battle I cant believe people moan about it you are going on holiday by a beach of course you will have seaweed!!! Anyway I diagress I was very badly bitten on my legs not by mosquitos but by sand fleas (lovely) apparently they liked my blood had to go to drs to have antihistamine injections as well as cortizone to promote healing. The Dr came up with a great tip at about 3pm start pouring rum on your legs apparently they don't like the taste of rum. It took a few days for the rum factor to work but I stopped getting bitten eventually.

I would recommend this hotel as a nice clean friendly resort only thing letting it down was the drinks service which could be better but I would definately put it as a 4 star not 5 star

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank bspug
London, Ontario.
Reviewed May 19, 2009

My wife and I just returned from Dreams along with two friends and we had a great time there. The location is perfect, 20 minutes or so from the airport and is a quite lovely spot. The beach is good and the sea perfect for swimming or snorkeling. The pools and grounds are very well kept and the staff are genuinely friendly. Service in the bars and restaurants is good but kind of non existant on the beach or round the pools. The rooms are nicely furnished and the bed is really comfortable. Our room was cleaned daily, of course, and when we came in at night the bed had been turned down and chocolates placed on the pillows. Nice touch. So far so good, but there are some downsides.
There are serious problems in some rooms with mold. Our first room had mold on the bathroom ceiling and a big damp patch on the wall. We changed rooms and the second one was ok. Also our clothes hanging in the closet were always damp and at night there was a film of moisture covering the floor. Bad A/C in the room?, I don't know. Also the toilet in the room offers little privacy with only a glass door separating from the rest of the room. We know of two instances when we were there that parts of ceilings actually came down , one of them being in the bathroom of our friends. They definately have a serious problem with mold and damp.
All in all we had a great trip, but there are too many issues for my wife and I to ever consider going back.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank jimjam59
PA
Reviewed May 19, 2009

We stayed at this resort from May 1-8. Booked a super saver room then upgraded to honeymoon suite in the preferred club when we got there. The room was amazing! Ocean front, very comfy bed, 2 TVs, dining area, sitting area, bedroom, huge bathroom with two person jetted tub, another 1/2 bath just inside the entry door and a double balcony! Our maid was outstanding! Our fridge guy not-so-much, despite leaving notes (and a tip) in English and Spanish as to what we would like left in our fridge he/she always left the standard: four beers, four waters, some days juice, some days not, we never drank the sodas. Not really a problem, minor incovevience, since we would have to go to the preferred club and get what we needed.

The beach was large with plenty of palapas and loungers, sun/shade. No rocks in the water and the waves were small-great for snorkeling. The beach drink service was hit and miss, but mostly a miss. :-( despite generous tipping. We just got up and went to the bar for our own drinks. Same service by the preferred club pool as well -some days good others not so good. One complaint about the beach is that there doesn't seem to be enough employees keeping it clean and the guests can just be such pigs by not cleaning up after themselves. What I mean by this is we saw a plate of fruit and numerous drink glasses left on the beach in the same spot for two days. Also, some rude guests would through dirty plates and cups in the towel bins and the plates would stay there for days. There were dirty straws, pieces of fruit garnishes, etc. that littered the palapa areas. Oh, and don't get me started about the cigarette butts that people just ditch in the sand....UGH! if everyone would be a little more considerate it sure would help make this place an excellent dream!

The only food you can get during the lunch hour is either a sit down meal at the Sea Side Grill (if you are in the preferred club) or the buffet in the World Cafe or burgers/fries/hotdogs from the beach stand. Oh, or room service, but you have to be in your room for that to work...LOL! At the beach burger stand, every burger I got was raw so I stopped going there. We ate lunch at the Sea Side Grill once, the food was very good, but the service was rather slow. We ate lunch at the World Cafe the rest of our trip.

The World Cafe food was good any time of day. They had grilled shrimp and calamari, steaks, made to order pasta, pizza, all types of salads, tacos, veggies for lunch and dinner. One evening they had grilled lobster. Breakfast was the usual breakfast fare and was good as well. We also ate at Portofino and El Patio-all good, but again some slow service.

Ordered coffee and juice from room service in the mornings. All good and there in less than 15 minutes even through they say 30-50 minutes. We had a late night room service order of pizza and sandwiches one evening and it was good as well. Just what you could get from the World Cafe. Nothing spectacular on the menu, but it did the trick. Dreams advertises an upgraded room service menu and in room bar for those of us in the preferred club, but from talking to others it wasn't any different than anyone elses.

There were always plenty of towels.

The preferred club internet access was great. We never got a newpaper delivered to our room despite that being on the list of preferred club items. The fridge in the club was hit or miss as to what you could get there and most of it was always warm. A couple days they ran out of certian types of liquor and champagne. Oh and finding mixes for your drinks was a challenge as well. None of these things ruined our trip; we just learned to roll with it each day. I will say that the level of service in the preferred club is not up to the "advertised" service for a Dreams preferred club. Other Dreams resorts I've been to are Dreams Cancun and Dreams Punta Cana. I hope they are working on this. If you go with really high expectations you might be disappointed.

We didn't sample any nightlife or the casino or disco. We were there for sun, sand, and relaxation all of which we received!

We met a lot of great people and liked the "vibe" at this resort. We enjoyed our stay and would go back if the price was right. Maybe by then the kinks in the club would be worked out.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Now Larimar Punta Cana
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana
Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Punta Cana
Melia Caribe Tropical

Been to Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana? Share your experiences!