“Ideal for total relaxation”

Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #47 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 23, 2009

Having read some of the reviews I was almost dreading the holiday. All I can say is that some people must either live and eat in some really fantastic places or they just like to complain.
The food was lovely, fresh and tasty and surely no-one can really complain about the variety. Yes there were birds and a few flies but nothing excessive and much less than other places I've visited. The Staff were wonderful always pleasant and polite.
Our room was immaculately clean, if you put your shower mat on the floor (as you are supposed to do) there was no problem with excess water - which was hot at all times. We did have a little problem with a blocked toilet one day but a pleasant request to the concierge had it fixed in half an hour
Yes there is a problem with reserving sun beds but as someone says its a case of 'if you can't beat them, join them.
I can't comment on the entertainment as we didn't go to any of the shows.we spent the day on the beach, had a few drinks and a meal in the evening and just relaxed.
We really enjoyed our first visit to DR and certainly hope to return here again

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank needagoodname
Write a ReviewReviews (10,959)

Reviewed April 20, 2009

My husband and I and two friends stayed at Dreams Palm Beach from April 12-19th. This was our second time in Punta Cana, and we had a great time. I truly believe that vacations are what you make them; if you're set on going and nit-picking every little thing that is wrong with a resort, city, or country, you're just going to make yourself and others around you miserable. Having an open-mind goes a long way :)

The resort is only 15-20 min from the airport (having stayed at a resort 40 min from the airport the previous time we visited Punta Cana, this was wonderful) and the ride was smooth and uneventful. We booked through our travel agent, and were thus met by a GoGo Vacations/Prieto van that took us right to the resort. We did not have to stop at any other resorts to drop people off, and once we got to the resort around 2:00p, we were whisked away to the Preferred Club area to check in. Check-in was quick, and our bags were brought up to our room for us. As we were traveling for our anniversary, champagne and a fruit plate were supposed to be in our room upon arrival. Since we checked in early, they had given us a different room than we were originally supposed to have, so the fruit and champagne weren't in the room; one trip to the concierge and it was brought up immediately. We stayed in a Preferred Club Garden View room in building 3; we actually overlooked the kids play area, but most of the activities for them were during the day and there was little to no noise in the evenings.

The Preferred Club area was nice: free internet, private pool, private beach area, free bar to mix your own drinks in the lobby, private check-in and out (which I think was the biggest perk). Although the area was nice, I'm not sure it is worth the extra money. The rest of the resort is just as nice, and the rooms are the exact same. I guess it is just a personal call as to what people consider important to them. We never had a problem with our plumbing. We always had hot water when needed, our toilet always flushed, and our pressure was perfect. Yes, the shower door is weird, but the floor mat and a hand towel on the floor will soak up any stray water that might get on the floor.

Food was good; our favorite was the French restaurant (Anibal was wonderful - went out of his way to see that we had everything we needed and that we were "happy happy"), but the others were good as well. We did not have the opportunity to eat at the Italian or Steak restaurant, but we enjoyed the others. Francisco at Himitsu was very fun, friendly, and wanting to please. The buffet was good: things that were supposed to be hot were hot, and the things that were supposed to be cold were kept that way. Yes, there are some flies and some birds, but it is an open-air restaurant. Would it be better to spray the restaurant with pesticides? There was a wide variety, and we could always find something that we liked. There are made-to-order omelets in the morning (Wilbur with his "happy eggs" and "happy chicken" was a hoot), eggs, breads, croissants, donuts, cereals, yogurt, endless amounts of fruit, etc. Lunch and dinner are the same, and they have lobster a couple times during the week at the buffet for dinner if you can catch it on the right night. We never had to wait for a meal at the a la carte restaurants, but we always went to the restaurants between 6:30p and 7:45p. I'm not sure if eating later has anything to do with the wait, but that's my guess. One pointer- on most nights, one restaurant is closed at a time, so take a look at your Sundial each night to figure out which one it is for the next day so you can plan accordingly! Also, 24-hr room service was very nice!!

We chose to do a romantic dinner on the beach one night - it was $150 total, but if you have the money it is worth it (we didn't really have the money, but we had a voucher from our travel agent that made it a little more do-able). They set up a couple of tables right near the ocean (or in the massage huts on an especially windy night) with tiki torches and your own personal wait staff. Wine, champagne, salad, soup, bread, main course (which, in our case, was rib-eye and lobster - very good), and a special dessert. We thoroughly enjoyed being right next to the water, hearing the waves, and looking at the stars. The dinner was about two hours long, but we had nowhere else to be and nothing else we would rather be doing. It WAS romantic, and beautiful!

The beach, ocean, and pool areas were gorgeous. I don't understand the complaint about seaweed. First of all, it's the ocean - there's going to be some seaweed. They clean it up the best that they can, but it's a never-ending and futile project. The workers here work very hard to make everyone happy and to do their job well, and to complain about so many tiny things is ridiculous. Yes, there is a problem with reserving sunbeds, but you can still manage to maneuver some around to get the number you want if you need to. I don't see this changing any time in the near future, but to their credit they do write it in the Sundial (the newsletter they leave each night when they turn down the beds) and make it known that this should not be practiced. The pool is cold when you first get in in the morning, but as the day goes on and the heat rises, it is very refreshing. There are also blue pool mats that you can take in the water and float around the pool on - very nice.

As far as activities go, there are many during the day (beach volleyball, stretching, aerobics, ping pong, snorkeling, water polo, sea kayaking, scuba lessons in the pool). You can snorkel on-site for a $25 USD deposit (they said they had to start charging a deposit as their equipment was coming up missing), or if you pay $25 they'll take you out in a boat a little offshore to a reef. My husband did this, and said it was worth it. He was gone for about an hour and a half. If there are not any fish when you get out there, they bring bread to attract more so that people may have a better experience. If this is something you choose to do, it might be beneficial to bring some of your own bread if you choose to snorkel a little bit further down or farther away from the crowd. There are many other excursions that can be booked on-site, and we had a wonderful rep from Prieto named Benito. We went to Manati Park, which is a zoo of sorts, that has many animals from the Dominican as well as other areas of the world. There is a parrot show, a sea lion show, a taino show (natives), dolphin show and dancing horses show. There is also an opportunity to swim with the dolphins there which my husband and I chose to do. Entrance to the park is $30 USD, and to swim with the dolphins was an additional $65. We enjoyed the park, and it was a nice break from our days on the beach and by the pool. They take many pictures if you choose to swim with the dolphins, too, and they'll sell you a DVD of them if you so choose. If you had two people swimming, the DVD for all of the pictures was $35 USD, and there was about 18 pictures and two full videos of the Dominican and Punta Cana. I believe one person was $20 USD for the DVD.

Most nightlife will take place in the conference center - we didn't realize this until our second to last night at the resort. The conference is on the far side of the casino/disco. We did not make it to any of the shows, but heard from others that they were fun, specifically the couples one that they do. The casino was small, but we are not avid gamblers so this was not a big deal. There were slots, blackjack, craps, and roulette (I think that was it, but don't quote me). The disco is accessible through the casino. It gets busy as the night goes on, and we had a good time there. The lobby bar is also usually packed, and finding a seat there is sometimes difficult at night.

If you take a left out of the resort and walk a hundred yards or so, there is a flea market on your right-hand side. You can barter there and good deals can be found if you're willing to work at it. I hate bartering, so I left that up to my husband, but we got some nice things. If you walk a little further down that main road, there is a minimarket - La Defensa, which also has souvenirs. We got some Dominican rum, coffee, candy, and other small souvenirs there for cheaper than anywhere else that we found. I'd suggest going here first if you're looking for any of these types of things to take home. The one thing that they did not have at the mini mart was larimar, but we got the best deals on that when we took a walk on the beach. If you take a left on the beach and go around the point, there are usually a few vendors set up that way. We found them all to be very nice. One of them calls himself "Mike Tyson" (there's a facial likeness there) and we got some very nice things and rather cheap things from him. If you're looking for something specific, ask them if they have it, and if they don't they might be able to bring it the next day (i.e. larimar earrings).

I will say that I was hoping that by purchasing a room in the Preferred Club section of the hotel that it might be a little quieter, but it was not. There were always at least half a dozen kids in the pool, jumping and splashing and yelling (and the Preferred Club pool is much smaller than the other two pools). One suggestion that I might have is to think about making the Preferred Club adults-only? Just a thought, and I guess also a personal opinion.

I also have to say that I don't think that "Americans" are all the "loud and drunk" people that you might come across. We came across people from many other nationalities that fit this description, and hate to see it all pinned on people from the U.S. I don't drink much at all, and my husband doesn't drink much more, so we were cognizant of others around us. In reference to people claiming that Americans were rude and obnoxious to staff, I also saw this from people of other nationalities; I don't think that being a poorly-mannered person means that you're from the United States - there are people like that in every corner of the world.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to email me! I'd be more than happy to answer anything, as after reading all the reviews before we left, we were a little concerned about the resort. We had a great time, though, and would recommend this resort to friends.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
14  Thank ErinTB
Reviewed April 18, 2009

I went to this resort on my honeymoon. This was my first experience with an all inclusive resort. I'll start with the good...

Good
1. Great Service- The staff was friendly and looking to meet your needs
2. Our room was very nice. The beds are comfortable and it was decorated very well. The shower was a little weird.
3. The beach and pool were beautiful and I appreciated the little huts they had on the beach to protect you from the sun.
4. The massages were buy on get one so for about $90 2 people could get a 50min massage on the beach. Not the best massage I've ever had... but very relaxing.
5. The breakfast is good, eggs made to order and pastries. We would eat a huge breakfast to make up for the other food.

The bad...
1. The food is terrible with the exception of a few things. They cater to more of a European crowd. The buffet is ok... I liken it to dorm food. Also, the themed restaurants were not good... I did not come to the Dominican to eat fake asian food, Italian, Mexican, and French. The sea side grill has an excellent ribeye other than that the best meal that we had was at a stand where we went deep sea fishing. It was traditional Dominican, fried plantains, fried chicken, and rice. I felt the food was not up to par for what we paid for the trip. I could have went somewhere warm in the US for this price and ate very well. The food also made me very sick. I thought main stables like pizza from room service would be good... don't bother the cheese is not right and it make the whole pizza terrible.
2. All inclusive is not worth it unless you are a raging alcoholic. My husband and I rarely drink. So this was not worth it too us, even though the virgin pina coladas are good.
3. when it says snorkeling is included that's not really true. They will give you equipment for a deposit but there is nothing to see. The boats have scared away all the fish. We did do a snorkeling trip but they took so many people out that it scared the fish. They are more about making money than showing off the wildlife.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank manda022
Reviewed April 18, 2009

Our family visited Dreams Palm Beach for Spring Break. The weather was perfect, and we all had a great time. We stayed in the Preferred Club, and the private pool was a nice touch. The restaurants are OK. The Mexican and the Asian were our favorites. The Italian and French were so-so. What we didn't like was having an hour wait while the restaurants were 1/2 full. The only downside was the buffet. The birds eat the fruit, and all the salad stuff was room temperature. The omlettes are cooked in heavy oil at breakfast, the pasta is OK at lunch, and we didn't try it for dinner.

The pool areas are beautiful, but like other reviews mention, the pool chairs are saved by daybreak. Some chairs have blue towels on them all day, and no one sits there. It's not fair.

The beach is nice. There are lots of topless women, most of them shouldn't be --they are overweight. The shady huts are nice. We didn't have a problem finding chairs on the beach.

Overall a nice time. There is nothing to do here past 8. Things in the Sundial, the schedule printed everyday, never happened like beach volleyball, a beach party, and talent show. That was annoying.

We liked our visit, but will not be back. We like to try new places.

Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank PhillyMomof2
Reviewed April 15, 2009

We stayed at the Beaches Palm Beach Resort in Punta Cana. We went there on a 6 Apple Square Deal vacation. We were very disappointed. We were expecting luxurious and it was far from that. The rooms were just adaquate. The grounds were unkept There were no flowers. The beach was very dirty. There were cigarette butts and weeds everywhere. The pool was very very cold. We went to our Apple Vacation representative and asked to be moved to a new resort. She told us "no" that because there were restaurants that you did not have to have reservations for made this resort a 6 apple. So we were stuck and thought oh well at least the food will be good. wrong! Our friend became so sick he was hospitalized for two days of his vacation in a primitive Punta Cana hospital. He became very sick on day 2 and was still sick when he came back to the US. He went to a doctor for tests where he tested positive to SALMONELLA POISONING! I wrote to Apple about this resort and have not even heard back at all. We wasted $1500 on this vacation. I wasn't even allowed to call and speak to a representative...only email.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kevin80
Reviewed April 14, 2009

We just returned from a week long stay at this resort, I miss it already!!! The weather was spectacular!! The staff was wonderful and responded very quickly to any needs. When we arrived in our room the faucet was leaking non stop, we called , and within 10 -15 min the problem was taken care of. You do need to get up early to get chairs at the pool and beach, that is if you will need an umbrella or just want a particular spot. Food was very good, go early to restaurants to get seated sooner. There are many places to sit and relax , have a drink while you wait! The pool was beautiful and clean. We loved Martha, she worked the pool deck, bringing drinks. What a hard worker and so pleasant, always says, "it is my pleasure"! It was nice not having to use towel cards like other resorts, but I do think it becomes a problem when inconsiderate people don't put their towels in the hampers when they are done with their chairs, which leads people to believe that the chairs are "taken". The entertainment staff was good, Gasolina is a hoot! The hotel had movies on a big screen at night , even showed the NCAA championship game. Showers are strange, only half of a door? which led to water on the floor if you didn't stay in the corner while showering.All in all, we had a great time and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank aconn
Reviewed April 14, 2009

I was very apprehensive when I realised that we were staying here and not Punta Cana Resort and Spa Having read some of the earlier reviews.I thought ,as did others that we would be staying there, as I"d booked a late dealand not checked until a few days prior to leaving.
The first day we arrived the main pool was totally green with algae.This I have to say was emptied quickly ,cleaned and then refilled.Having spoke to one of the managers,it was explained to me that the chemicals had reacted with sand having blown in from the beach.Bunds were built to remedy this.
My guess was that there was little chemical in the pool as it had a distinct lack of chlorine smell.
There was also a distinct lack of shade around the pool areas.Not ideal for us mighty whiteys with small children.Again this was remedied the next day after a guest had complained.Although during the second week the sun shades seemed to disappear again.This was ok as we now had a base tan and the children had found the kids club,which they loved and I can't speak highly enough of.The ladies here seem to have endless patience and energy.
The sunshade thing is probably down to the vast majority of American tourists,who it seems do not realise the value of high protection sunscreen,or couldn't care less about skin cancers.They just seemed to burn before tanning.This resort is aimed at the North American tourist industry,which is fine but again the although the majority seemed to very rude and demanding.Guys a please and thankyou wouldn't go amiss when ordering a drink.The staff are Human Beings like you.
The Americans also seem to love being in the upgraded part of the hotel ,which incidently is crassly called the "preffered club".
To me it seemed a step back to the days of the Raj.A real class issue.
We were upgraded to these rooms when the ceiling fell down in our shower room.The plumbing is no better though.
Oh! a little tip.
Use the prefferred club lounge,pour a drink ,swim in the pool and sunbathe on the little beach provided anyway.The staff are too polite to stop you and it it makes a mockery of the upgrade fee.
Remember holidaymakers,a little anarchy is good for the soul and it annoys the wannabees in there.You have paid anyway.
The rooms were ok.We were initially in block 2 .The room was ok for the purpose but had not undergone a complete refurb.Our ceiling collapsed on day 5 due to a plumbing problem.This seemed to be an ongoing problem throughout the hotel.
I spoke to the concierge ,who immediately without argument ,upgraded us .Always go trough the front desk conceierge not the reception as this is the only way to get what you should have got in the first place.
Our new room was completley perfect looking out onto the pool and beach.The difference was new tiles and a lick of paint,different toiletries.It still had the same plumbing problems.Not worth paying $80US per night for .Its also strange not being able to have toilet privacy due to the glass door on entry to the wash room.
Like I say speak to the conceirge if your not happy with your room.You may have to Chinese burn him into moving you though but generally, they do.
The food and restaurants was great,apart from the Italian,which was tasteless and bland.
The beach was amazing.White sand and turquoise sea for miles.I can't believe some people were complaining about seaweed.Don't they know that is where you find it, in the Sea and washed up on the beach.
The stuff on the beach is cleared every morning .
The one big annoyance was the reserving of sunbeds.Although it was mentioned not to do this in the hotel literature,this was rife.But you know what if you can't beat em ,join em.
Get your towels the night before, store them in your room.off to breakfast you go, towels in hand, pop them on a bed as your passing.This is well practiced and soon becomes second nature.
Please note we did meet lots of nice people including some of you US citizens,but I have to speak as I find.
The staff are fantastic and cannot do enough to help . We had a great time.
Look out for the Silver Fox.
If any of you travellers want to contact me please feel free.I will be frank about my holiday.
vinceprout@gmail.com