“Beautiful Hoiday for Engagement”

Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #18 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
london
“Beautiful Hoiday for Engagement”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2009

Well what can i say. I tend to read these types of reviews very sceptically. I read a great few before booking and didnt quite understad why so many mentioned specific staff members.

But boy after the most amazing week I can truley understand why!

Travelling out was a bit of drag (12 hours out) as we had to stop in Manchester but once we arrived it was very smooth and we were whisked away to our hotel.

upon arrival it was about 11pm and they were still serving food.. and boy what food they serve. The buffet they provide is unbelevable. I went to Egypt in December just gone on my firrst all inclusive and i was dissapointed.. Dreams palm beach blew me away! table after table of all different types of food.

Breakfast - As its a very american resort the food tends to suit their taste more:
Fresh Fruit juice made there and then
Pancakes / Omlettes, fried eggs, amazing range of bread, fruits cereals, fish & full english breakfasts. im sure there was more so this quick list really doesnt ive it justice.

Lunch: Meats / popcorn/ nachos/ frsh fish / spagetti (made for you there and then), steak

Dinner: Same as Lunch really plus 4 amazing restaurants included as part of the all inclusive too.

Private Dinner on the Beach: $150 we got the most amazing dinner on the beach. we had it at sunset which was perfect. Had 4 courses including lobster and champaigne! Couldnt have asked for more

I have a very sensitive stomac and had accepted that going on a holiday like this i would more then likely get ill but nothing i expeienced at all.

Pool: Great size pools and just atthe right temeperature to cool down at midday! Sun beds did start to be taken very early but i guess you expect that at most places nower days. We saw people heading out there to secure their seats at 5:30am! dedicted to the perfect tan i guess.

Facilities were great - We're not much of drinkers so we watched a movie or 2. They lent out DVDs as wel as put on an outdoor cinema each night! They do have a casino and club but thats not my sort of thing so cant really comment.

Trips:
We did plenty of trips and the hotel is in areally good location:

Saona Island: 1 1/2 hours drive to get there but once there its lovely...actually its beyond lovely its stunning... not too busy and theres some lovely photos to get... truley beautiful and a must.

Sharks and Stingrays swim: From the hotel in the sea in the distance you can see what looks like a fishing hut.. in truth it is a lovely detox place where you ake a relaxing boat out too and then get a massage and as much fresh fruit juice you want. As part of it you get to swim around thier reef (which wasnt amazing but i didnt evenrealise they had one so it was a bit of a bonus) then we went and swam with stingrays...

We were passed a stingray to hold and a photo was taken ($10).. and then we swam with sharks... Vegetarian sharks so dont worry :-) truley beautiful creatures.

We walked back along the beach instead of getting the bus.. recommend that to anyone!

Dolphin Swim: Lovely and amazing well worth the cash and not too far to drive either. But i would say you not only swim with dolphins but you swim with sharks and stingrays as well. If you are going to do this excursion then i wouldnt bother doing theSharks and stingrays tripi mentioned above.

One useful thing to note thoug is that theyoffer the chance to swmwith sealions as well but you have to pay and book before you get out there. They wont accept payment once out in their pens.

Outback Safari -If your a party animal and want a drinking tour then this one ISNT for you. Theres the big green party buss or somethin like that that caters for that type of group. The tour we went on was perfect. laid back and very informative. Te guide was really nice and showedus a lot of really interesting stuff like cocoa how its grown / cigars / rum..of which i bought a lot of each lol!

People:
Again comparing it with Egypt i felt they looked at us (tourists) as htough we were just money to them. the people i met i DR were nothing of the kind. They treat you amazingly well andhave constant beautiful big smiles. Tipping isnt expected or forced but who isnt going to be happy when you get given a few extra dollars here and there. After speaking to one of the chefs i found out that they are motivated more by the fact that if they get mentioned on your exit sheet they get points towards going to University that is subsidised by Dreams palm beach. Every worker imet (reception down to grounds keeper and cleaners were all very motivated and happy so i was very impressed).

Rooms: Beautiful modern and clean. Safe provided in each room

I hve and will be recommending this to a lot of people! I was very very happy!

Again one other thing to note is that while onthe way back to the airport we were chatting to other couples about their holidays and they werent as positive. I really think a hotel can make or break your holiday and this place is really nice.

6 Thank edfollett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,715)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2009

NOTE: I'm rating this hotel in comparison to BEACHES, Jamaica (AI), which in my eyes is a 9-10.

My family (husband, two boys, age 5 and 12) just got back from DR and we miss it already. My only regret was flying into Santo Domingo and taking a cab 3 &1/2 hr to Punta Cana which cost us 140 US$. I have to say the ride was scary the roads are horrible. I felt so sorry for the cab drivers car hitting all those huge potholes. I was most afraid the car would break down in the middle of nowhere. Oh, no driving rules it appears, cars zoom in and out of lanes facing on coming traffic to pass cars in front of them. I was holding on for dear life. Next time we will fly into Punta Cana. I saw a bit of everything on the ride in, the locals and all. .

We arrive around noon at Dreams Palms and were greeted with a smile at the front gate and were offered any choice of beverage we wanted. The front desk lounge area decor is beautiful, lovely color combinations with bold pieces of art works. We were then directed to the Preferred Club check-in area where the staff greeted us by saying "Welcome Home", not sure if everyone gets that greeting but it was nice to hear and surly felt like home away from home. Grounds, I rate as a 7-7 1/2 out of 10.

Arriving before the check-in time (3pm), we were able to go right up to our room. Our room was in Building 5 top floor (4th fl) partial garden view (lol). What garden view? A few Palm trees and fence and a private shabby looking road. Next time I would ask to see another location or spring for an Ocean View Room, it's worth waking up each morning and seeing the beautiful water and beach from your room balcony. My room location was at a good spot, close to the beach, pools, the entertainment and the Preferred Club area. The beds were comfortable; you have a pillow menu and upgraded toiletries (?). The maid came at least three times a day making sure the room was clean and towels replenished. The refrig was restocked at least twice per day. Room rating, I give it a 7 out of 10.

I honestly think that the Proffered Club status is over rated. It is what is says, you get a little special treatment and a couple of perk like separate check-in area, free internet service in the PC Lounge, access to the Seaside Grill (delicious) and small private pool and beach area. No matter what, you still have to hunt down beach chairs and nice spots on the beach or pool area. People leave towels and magazines and books to hold spots and you don't see them for hours.

There was much choice of things to do (young and old) or do nothing at all, our choice. The entertainment staff gets an A++; they always keep the action going. Shout out to Gasoline and the guy dressed up in the Easter Bunny suit all day till 10 pm playing with the kids. He is a trooper.
My sons enjoyed themselves, they had their own vacation away from us, and we only saw them for breakfast and sometimes for dinner. We'd passed them and see them having their own fun with a group of spectacular young people at the Core Zone (ages 13 and up) and Explorer's Club (ages 4-12) who kept them busy until 10pm. My husband and I had day choices of Bingo, Bike Tour, Table Tennis, Dancing Lessons, Spanish Lessons and much more to even mention. For evening entertainment there was the Out Door Movies by the pool side for all, Casino and the Nightclub. Again, shout out to the entertainment crew who is the life of the party. They work hard to make you happy and we appreciated it. Tips all around. Activities/Entertainment for all, I rate an 8 out of 10

The food was good; lots of variety and seven place to eat. We never got tired. The grilled Lobster at the World Cafe was the best!!!! The wait for the special restraints can be a wait. We tried twice for Himitsu and was finally able to get in after waiting an hour after arriving at 6:45 pm. Advice- Go early, it's worth the wait and lost of fun. Rating for the food 7-7 1/2 out of 10. My husband and I had stale hash browns so point off for that.

The staff over all spoke English where we could understand but over all it was a challenge for us lacking understanding and speaking Spanish. The staff taught us a little. We did not pass any of the staff without a "Hola" and a smile. After we thanked them, "Gracias" the reply would always be "Its a pleasure". The staff made sure that we were happy. Staff rating is a 9

My over all rating for this AI hotel is an 8.

My major complaint is that the hotel does not have it’s own ATM machine

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank Yloveu3
Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2009

I will get my only complaint out of the way first. When we first got in our room there were smudges all over the glass and mirrors (fingerprints, condensation rings from drinking glasses,etc.). This made me wonder how well they actually cleaned the rooms. Someone came in and cleaned it up promptly. The houskeeping staff got to the rooms rather late (as mentioned below). The rooms were definitely not 5 stars. Very average, almost a little tacky. Okay, otherwise I enjoyed this visit thoroughly.

Food: The buffet food was outstanding; the best I have seen of my three trips to the Caribbean. They didn't make you wear those crazy arm bands and the specialtly restaurants did not require reservations. Just walk in when they open and you're ready! They even had "The Barefoot Cafe" between the pools and the beach, which was great if you didn't want to get up and get dressed for the buffet. This had hamburgers, hot dogs and fries with lettuce, tomato, etc. for the sandwiches. Then, you can take the food to the pool or beach and it's not "against the rules" like some other places.

Drinks: I don't drink much, but a person with us said the drinks were watered down. He said if you request top shelf stuff they will give it to you. We really had no other complaints.

Rooms: As I stated above, could be better. The first day they didn't clean our rooms until 10:30 p.m.!! Then the next night it was around 7:00 p.m. It did get better throughout the week.

Beach: So beautiful! Clear water, you can see fish swimming around. My husband and I had a great time collecting some coral. The beaches are also topless (if you choose). Most women don't do the topless thing, but some do. I tried it just to be wild and crazy. It's pretty liberating when you've never done it. My husband loved it of course.

Shopping: My advice: Don't go into town to do this. There are some little shopping shacks about a block's walk from the resort. You can get anything you see in town and you only spend a few minutes walking there.

Excursions: We did the speedboat/snorkeling excursion. I got too cold to do the snorkeling but everyone who did it loved it. The speedboats are so cool! You can drive it yourself after a short lesson. Worth the money (about $70). We also did the shopping trip, but again, just walk down the road instead.

People/staff: Everyone there from the airport to the hotel was so gracious. "It is my pleasure" they say if you say thank you. I even loved the airport; it was so pretty like a big hut with flowers everywhere. Going through customs consisted of walking past the customs office! The entertainment staff at the hotel were great. You will love a guy named Gasolina (yes, Gasolina). He gave Spanish lessons and dance lessons every day. As far as front desk, they are not helpful if you need change, so bring plenty of cash. You most likely will not need Dominican pesos, as they give prices in dollars for things you buy. There were people serving you and taking drink orders by the pool, even passing out cookies! The staff handed out a daily activity sheet and there is something to do there almost all day (Spanish lessons, dance lessons, fruit carving) and activities at night like a show or karaoke.

Resort property: Beautiful, well kept, very very nice. They had soft, jazzy like remakes of popular music piping throughout the whole outside area. Very relaxing. The pool and beach are only a short walk to the rooms.

Pools: You do have to get up very early to "reserve" a beach or pool chair. People reserve them with towels even though you're not supposed and they tell you not to. You will not get a chair if you wait until 9:00. Do it early.

You will not be disappointed with this place.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Getmeoutofindiana
Kane, Pa.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2009

everything we expected and more. Weather was so much better than Kane, Pa. which I might add has done nothing but snow since we returned. Keep an open mind and enjoy. 5th time in D.R.

Barrie
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2009

Just thought I would inform those who are curious about the new Dreams Palm Beach in Punta Cana.

We were taken by shuttle with the other people staying at resorts near ours; it was roughly a 15 min drive.

The grounds of the resort are very beautiful and clean. When we arrived our luggage was tagged and we changed into our bathing suits because our room was not ready. We hung out at the pool until 3pm – when we checked in.

The rooms look exactly as they do on their website – King Size bed, gorgeous white bedding with huge throw pillows, the bed was very comfortable. We had a flat screen TV with a DVD player. You can borrow movies from the Preferred Class Selection at no extra charge. There was a mini fridge, replenished every day – there pretty slow at this, sometimes it doesn’t get stocked until 4-5pm. There was a coffee maker – but it was broken – we left a note on it and it was replaced the next day. There is a sofa chair and a table with 2 chairs inside. On the patio we had 2 chairs w/ small table. View wasn’t good, but we did not care. The only rooms with Ocean View are the Suites and it was too expensive to upgrade.

The bathroom was a little awkward as there is no door just a frosted glass separator. The water pressure in the shower was good for the first couple of days then got worse. By the last day I ran out of water in the shower. I heard others had the same problem.

The layout of the resort it self was pretty small. This was what we wanted. Our room was right in the centre, so we were only 30 secs to the pool/beach and 30 secs to the lobby.

I had to wake up at 7am every morning to secure pool chairs – but once I put our stuff down – no one touched it. The beach was another story – I put towels down one morning and by the time we got back to them – they were gone. I would suggest leaving your book or hat. So we sat by the pool every day. The pool was great, clean, not over crowded. The swim up bar was nice, drinks were good. The service around the pool was also good, but again were pretty good tippers. If you tip the staff you definitely get better and faster service.

The beach was nice, but a lot of the palm tree roots are above ground because of the damage to the beaches over the past years and the sand washing away. It still looked nice and clean.

They had a show every night around 9pm – we didn’t go, not really our thing. There was a disco and casino on site. We went to the casino a couple times, and won a couple times.

The lobby was the place to be at night as it was the only other bar open other than the disco. The bartenders at the lobby bar are pretty slow; we usually tried to get a table so we could have a server. It would have been nice if they had another outside bar to go to.

The buffet was good, huge selection, they had t-bone steaks, and lobster tails all the time. The restaurants were all really good; food was by far the best we have ever had at a resort. It was nice that you did not need reservations and there was no limit as to how many times you could eat a la carte. The most popular was the Hibitsu bar – sit up Japanese restaurant – they cooked right in front of us and got everyone involved, it was a lot of fun. They also had a small coffee shop were you would get coffee and treats.

This resort is mainly for couples and adults. I would not recommend any young singles go here, as it’s not a party resort. They had a separate area for children with video games, basketball, etc. but we did not see very many kids at the resort – maybe 10 in total. But could be the time of year.

The staff was all very nice and helpful. The hostesses and the photo guys were probably the best.

They have a no topless policy for the pool so there weren’t really any topless woman.

I would say all in all this is probably one of the nicest resorts we have gone to. Overall it had everything and everything was good. I would highly recommend it. It still has a few kinks that need to be worked out but nothing noticeable. I would give it an 8.5 rating.

Hope this helps if anyone is inquiring about this resort.

canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2009

We stayed at this resrot fr Mar 28 - Apr 4 & all 6 of us had a truely amazing time. Well except for my 9 yr old nephew who got a bad burn & had to stay insisde for a few days. Everything at this resort was amazing...the pools, the staff are so friendly, the resort itself is so clean, the food was delicious. We ate breakfast every morning at the buffet which always had a big selection, lunchtime we either at the buffet or grabbed a burger of hotdog & fries fr the grill, & supper time we ate at a different restaurant every night. The servive at these restaurants was so formal..we were all given the royal treatment. We could not get over how delicious the food was. I was a little skeptical about this resort in the beginning from some of the reviews I read b4 we flew down but as soon as we got off the bus & went to the reception desk they were proved so wrong. We were the only family on the bus fr the airport so there was no one ahead of us to check in. Champagne & juice was buoght over to us while we checked in & then we were taken straight to our room. The rooms absolutely beautiful...my girls loved the canopy hanging fr each bed..our rooms were cleaned every day. There was lots to do around the resort..step areobics by the pool, water polo, beach volleyball..beach olympics, spanish lessons, bingo & so on. The bar did run out of Bailey's a few times though..maybe bec we drank so many mudslies...which were to die for. They also had to drain the water in the pool wi the swim up bar bec they had to treat it wi chemicals bec of the algea so t was a day & 1\2 b4 it was refilled but that was understandable..we still had 3 other pools to use & a hot tub..which my husband & girls loved. Also, we never had any problems with the noise level. We stayed in # 9 building in 9119 which was the 2nd room on the main fl of this building & right nxt to the pool & buffet which I found very convenient..my sister & her son stayed in building 8..rm 8214..nice room as well..but she was on the 2nd floor..The rooms were also a nice size..lots of room..we had 2 db beds, long dresser wi flat screen tv..round table wi 2 chairs, patio with table & chairs which we only used to hang up laundry..Overall I would definately recommend this resort & I hope to return there again some day...So if you're on the fence about this resrot...GO FOR IT.....you'll hve a blast!!!..WE DID...

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank hot-one10
Gaithersburg, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2009

We recently stayed at the resort for 6 nights and had a great time. Here are some highlights of the resort

Beach: nice beach area, water is wonderful and you can walk for a while in an undeveloped beach area

Food: great buffet, good restaurants. Not quite 5 star but a good value for what we paid.

Rooms: recently renovated, they are nice. However, I think the bathrooms were small and shower was not the best. Perhaps resort would be better served with a 5 apple rating instead of the 6 apple rating

Pools: top notch, very nice brand new renovation, the pool areas reminded me of the ritz carlton miami beach (they must have hired a miami beach consultant)

Hotel grounds: very lush with plenty of attractive plants and palm trees. The main lobby and bar is amazing, it is better than almost anything you would see in South Miami beach.

Service: staff was very friendly and helpful. If you are down there say hi to Gasolina!!!! He's the man!

Overall I would give it 4 out of 5 stars or 5 out of 6 apples. We met people from all over the world at the resort. Some of the complainers are probably the same ones we saw at the resort who bring their own mini-mugs so they can drink huge quantities of booze.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple