“Very Happy with the overall resort for the Price we paid”

Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #51 of 115 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 21, 2009

Let me start off by saying that our travel agent warned us that Apple rates the Dreams Resorts higher than they deserve because of their financial tie with Dreams. With that said, we knew it would not be a 6 Apple and we were not disappointed.
Check In: Check in went very smoothly. We were greeted with warm towels, champagne and cookies. Our room was not ready when we got there because we were there 3 hours before check in but it was no problem. We went to the dining room to eat and when we got back our room was ready. Cesar who was a trainee took care of us at the front desk and he did a great job.
The Room: When I walked into the room I said to my husband. "This is really nice" Other than it was very warm in the room. We quickly found out that the air was not working, the safe did not work and the TV did not work. The safe was fixed in less than an hour, The air was fixed in about 2 hours and the TV did not work until our 4th day there. I secretly did not mind at all that the TV did not work, but my husband wanted to keep up with sports. On our third day there the toilet overflowed but when we called they came to fix it within 10 minutes. There were some minor shower issues as well. The design just does not make sense and there was no way to avoid water getting all over the floor.
The Beach: The beach is absolutely beautiful. I spent a most of my time on the beach and much time floating in the water on a raft. My only disappointment with the beach was the trash I saw while walking up and down the shoreline. I would think the resort could put a process in place to clean this up just as they do the seaweed.
The Pool: The pool is also beautiful as well as the areas around the pool. I loved the areas of the pool that had little ledges where you could put a chair right in the water or even beneath a little hut. My only disappointment with the pool is the chair hoarding. It is by far the very worst I have ever seen. Actually, it is down right ridiculous. There were many days that I saw four to six chairs in a row saved with towels, books, shoes etc. and literally several hours went by that no one was near them. This behavior forces people that would normally not do this to do it just so they have a poolside chair themselves. Again here I feel the resort needs to get involved and put a process in place to prevent this.
Food: We ate at every restaurant except for the French. We simpy did not have a chance to get there. We felt the food was excellent in every restaurant. I love the fact that if there is a wait, they give you pagers and page you when your table is ready. Our personal favorite was the Seaside Grill. Although it was a litte breezy the week that we were there. Simon was our favorite waiter in the Main Dining room and Wilbert the "happy chef" was our favorite cook.
Bar: If you ordered top shelf drinks from the main Lobby Bar, it was a good drink. Anywhere else I always asked for extra liquor in my drink. I had several Absolute Cosmopolitans throughout the week and depending on who made them, they tasted different each time. Not bad ... just different. We did many shots of Mamajuana.
We brought large insuated mugs with us and had them filled with Rum & Coke so they lasted awhile as we were on the beach. There is waitress service around the pool and on the beach. We found that tipping just $1.00 every so often, not every time, kept them coming back to take our order.
Entertainment: Although it was certainly not broadway, The show was entertaining. We went to the show three different nights. There are many activities throughout the day. Bocce Ball, Volleyball, Horse shoes, Water Polo, Aerobics and others. We were there on March 17th and they had a great St. Patty's Day Celebration. Gasolina & Franciso were our favorites on the entertainment crew. The Casino on the other hand had something to be desired. I don't gamble, but my husband played blackjack a few times. Once the dealer did not even realize he busted and started taking chips from the players until someone pointed it out. Another time the dealer started taking a player's cards when this player pointed out that he had 21. You have to really watch them.
We went on the outback safari tour and had a really good time. Cesar was our Jeep Driver and Gregory was out tour guide. I would highly reccomend that if you do this excursion you ask for them. They absolutely made the tour most enjoyable. We also did the snorkeling at the Marinarium. The basic snorkeling was ok, not great. It was cool to snorkel with the nurse sharks and stingrays though.
Overall: We have some great memories of our Week in Punta Cana at Dreams Palm Beach and some beautiful photos.

3  Thank kmrekow
Write a ReviewReviews (11,045)

Reviewed March 20, 2009

What a wonderful time we had at "DPB", it was a wonderful vacation. We were there for 1 week with my nephew and his wife. We were in building 9 and it was a very nice room. I was very pleased with the bed, very comfortable. The bathroom could have been a little better with the shower only having 1/2 a door. I do prefer a full bath with a tub. I think that was my only complaint. The pool area was great with great waitresses walking around all day bringing us drinks. The beach was nice but could of used a little more clean up on days when the seaweed come in. All the restaurants were awesome. I loved that you didn't have too book in advance and hardly any wait if you went between 6:30 and 7:30. Great service and great food. The buffet had a very big variety of food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Very easy to get a drink at anytime.
The lobby bar was a fun place to be at night and most of the time you could get top shelve drinks. Entertainment was okay but I have to say that Gasonlina was the highlight of the day. He keep the place hopping. When he left to go home for a few days you could tell he was gone..,.,.no more yelling "get outta here!". The casino was small but I was able to win $100 one night. I think for the price it was well worth the money. I would go back again for the price we paid. It might not be a 5 star resort but for the price it was well worth it. One of the best resorts we have stayed at in Punta Cana. I also loved that it was only 15 - 20 minutes from the airport. I also thank the nice maid that helped my husband find his way back to our room......

2  Thank getoutofhere62
Reviewed March 20, 2009

I was very anxious when I read the bad reviews and told myself that we would go with an open mind and try to make the best out of it.

The airport was very fast, got our luggage 10 minutes after landing, the drive to the hotel took around 10 minutes. We were the only couple checking in that day so everything was fast and easy. I previously put a request by email to Hilario Peralta...

Very clean, very spacious, we asked for a room on the 3rd floor and it was just PERFECT! The wasroom is very small but who cares? You only spend 10 minutes a day in there...The ceiling was very high, the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on, lots of pillows, beautiful view from the balcony, fridge was filled up everyday. Everything was working fine, hot water everyday, a/c kept the room cool...what else could we ask for?
Oh! we bought lots of gifts for the maid and we left tips on a daily basis, we were hoping for some nice swans or any kind of designs on our beds but NADA! :( I was sad but it's not a reason for me to complain.

We bought a 25$ wireless internet and we have 25 hours for one whole week.
It wasn't worth it because it was either very slow or it wouldn't connect or have very low connection. It worked best early in the morning or in the afternoon when there would be less people using the wireless. In one week, we barely used one hour of connection and ended up giving it away before we left.

Very beautiful beach, we took our daily walk on the beach and we walked for 30 mins on the left hand side. We came across merchants selling souvenirs on the beach, bought coconuts everyday from locals and they even climb up the tree! Sand is powder soft, water clear blue...gardeners work hard to get rid of seaweed everyday.
Some people would snorkle but apparently there isn't much to see.
Chairs were easy to find everyday...if you wanted shade under the hut, you should go between 8-9am. But even without the huts, there were plenty of shades from the palm trees.

Pool is very nice and big, we could get floats easily and it's very nice to float around the pool in the afternoon. Water is not as cold and what I read on the previous reviews...

There's the Mexican, French, Italian and Japanese restaurants. I loved all three except the Japanese. We had the sushi and it was horrible (Because my boo and I are sushi experts) People at the teppenyaki seemed to have lots of fun tho, they were very loud.

The other 3 restaurants had amazing food. Mexican were our favourite. No reservations needed in those à la carte restaurants. Sometimes we would have to wait 30mins to an hour and we would get a pager and have a drink at the lobby bar or gamble at the casino in the meantime. In the mexican, we would get strawberry margaritas and corona beers!

Buffet was very good too, lots of variety, lobsters almost every night. Breakfast and lunch was good also. Lots of fruits and fresh fruit juices.
They also have a grill on the beach that makes juicy hamburgers and hot dogs with fries...I really pitied the old guy frying those hamburgers in the heat.
Food was so good that we had 4-5 meals a day :)

Oh! Room service was really good too!!! We got room service once and we had pizza and gazpachio soup and it was extremely good! Service was quick - 20 minutes and the waiter even pick up the dishes after you're done.

Always greeted us with a smile, always helpful and respectful, Cesar the Trainee at the reception and Luis at the buffet had the warmest smile in the resort!

We didn't really watch the shows...I think they could put some more effort in the night entertainment...Casino was okay and we didn't go to the nightclub so I can't really comment on it.

We did the reef explorer which was very very nice, a boat brings us to the floating platform 7 minutes away. We get to swin with the stingrays and the sharks, and we do some snorkeling and we saw beautiful corals, sea urchins and lots of fish!
You can use the floats, the canoe or just relax on the chairs on the platform. There is a 15 minutes massage included in the package but we didn't do it. You get a small snack but it wasn't all that good so make sure you have a nice big lunch before you go.

We also did the espagnola safari trip. A jeep brings us to Higuey, about an hour ride, and we visit a dominican village and we see how they live in those small wooden houses, with their small TV, small fridge...we taste their coffee, and then a ride on the donkey!
Then we go on the mountains, taste the sugarcane, visit a small village where the sugarcane workers live, then we have lunch in a dominican restaurant on the mountains.
Food was good, no one got sick. We get to taste the cocoa fruit and see how they make coco and coffee and cigars. They also bring you a to store that sells jewelleries and paintings and they were extremely expensive. We didn't do the boogie boarding because the weather was cloudy, rainy and cold the whole day.

Their massages are very very good! They have a 2 for 1 everyday for 90$. We got screwed because we had 100$ vouchers from the hotel and when we went for our massages, the 2 for 1 didn't apply and they said that it was an extra of 50$. They didn't specify if it was 50$ extra PER PERSON! Basically it would've been cheaper if we didn't use the vouchers.

Shopping for souvenirs:
We went outside of the resort, 6 minutes away by foot there's a market where locals would sell all kinds of souvenirs.
One thing you should know: BARGAIN!

We especially liked Moises from store number 14. He is a very reasonable man, gives you good and honest prices. If you tell him that Karren sent you, he will give you a good price.
The others ask for 90$ a painting, we got it at 20$ from Moises. We went back to his place only because we would get AMAZING deals! We almost felt bad for the guy...
We bought 7 big paintings in total and he gave us 3 small ones as gifts. I also bought 3 necklaces and 3 bracelets...all for 180$. No one could beat his price...
We went back to the market 5 times and it was hilarious to see the locals trying to get you to visit their store and the phrase you'll hear very often is "Cheapy! Cheapy! Almost Freee!!" and then they try to sell you a 90$ painting. haha.

On 2 nights, locals came into the resort and installed their tables in front of the buffet and they would sell their souvenirs and paintings...again, BARGAIN but I definitely think that it's cheaper at the market outside of the resort.

We didn't have the weather we wished for but it was better than being in the snow in -10 degrees. It was mostly cloudy, windy and showers from time to time. we had 2 days of really nice and warm weather and the day we left, it was really hot and sunny and not a single cloud in the sky. Bring a sweater.

I think I covered almost everything, any questions, email me and I'll be more than happy to help :)

7  Thank Paradisiaque
Reviewed March 19, 2009

We booked an Apple 6 Square Deal for Punta Cana. Previous to our departure we researched the 7 available resorts that we could be booked at. We were not disappointed with Dreams Palm Beach. Upon our arrival on 3/08/09 we were greeted with champagne and cookies at check-in. Osiris checked us in and advised us that our room would be ready in 1 hour, which it was.

Rooms: Our room was on the third floor of building 2. We found it to be large and clean and just as described by their website. Yes, as previous reviews have stated, the bathrooms need to be updated, but we were satisfied with the condition. We had no problems with plumbing, water pressure or hot water. Our coffee maker did not work, but after a stop at the consierge desk, we had a new one immediately.

Dining: The food is excellent! We dined at the Seaside Grill, Himitsu, Portifino and the World Cafe Buffet. There are no reservations needed to dine at the ala carte restaurants which is very nice. If there is a wait, they give you a buzzer and you can go to one of the bars and wait. We were very happy with all but Portifino's, which seemed to be the consensus of others we talked to. The Seaside Grill had excellent grouper and ribeye steaks. At Himitsu we ate at the hibatchi grill both times and enjoyed it very much. The World Cafe was just as good for all meals, giving you lots of choices. Coco Cafe is also wonderful!

Entertainment: The nightly entertainment leaves a lot to be desired! They have talented people, but poor production. There was music in the Lobby Bar some nights, it would have been nice to have it all the time. The activity staff is AWESOME! Kudos to Fransisco and Gasolina (get otta here)! If you want to take part, they are more than encouraging and there is alway something going on.

Pool & Beach: This is where we lived! Like other reviews have stated, there is a problem getting lounge chairs unless you get up early to save them. (No different than on a cruise ship!) We were there from 3/8 to 3/15 and others have stated that it was too windy, but it was our saving grace! I can't imagine sitting by the pool all day without the seabreeze. We had a couple of days where we had short rain showers, but nothing that interupted our plans. The beach area is nice, but I didn't like the fact that they don't clean up the washed up seaweed. We walked past the Natura Park to the next point during the day and did not feel unsafe at all. There were plenty of people walking there.

Drinks: We enjoyed all of the top shelf liquors! We found the drinks good and not "watered" down. Service was prompt and Salome took very good care of us at the pool!

Tipping: Even though it is an all-inclusive, we did tip for good service. It's amazing how much faster and more often they will come around if you give a dollar every now and then.

Pros & Cons: Excellent resort, would definately go back. Enjoyed not having to have a wrist band for the all-inclusive and no reservations at the ala carte restaurants. We enjoyed meeting and talking with many beautiful people from all over the world. After talking with several people on our flight about their experiences at other resorts, we thought we were very lucky to stay at Dreams Palm Beach. We were a little disappointed as we thought we would be able to snorkel right off from the beach, which we were not. Perhaps that is possible at other resorts. We were also concerned with the amount of reviews that had said they had gotten sick, but this also was not an issue. We ate the sushi, salads, and fruits. All water is purified with the exception of shower & toilet water. We did use the tap water to brush our teeth with no ill effects.

3  Thank luvthesunWisconsin
Reviewed March 19, 2009

We went to Dreams Palm Beach from March 11 to March 18, 2009. We arrived at the hotel and while waiting to check in we were handed champagne, a fresh cookie and a wet cloth to wipe our faces. Very nice touch. Our room was very clean, with a balcony overlooking the pool / ocean. There are three pools which are all very clean and maintained regularly by the staff. One pool is for the preferred members, while the other two are for the adults and kids. The buffet restaurant has a wide variety of food choices and you could eat here everyday and have something new. There are other restaurants which are for dinner only and you do not to make reservations. However, get there early unless you want to wait around for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. We went to the Italian restaurant which was okay as we found the pasta a little undercooked. We went to the Asian restaurant which was the best especially with kids. They cook the food in front of you like a Japanese style restaurant and the food was both tasty and the cook entertaining. The Mexican restaurant was not to our liking however others we spoke to said that if you went late (9pm) it was much better. We did not go to the Seaside restaurant which served seafood, chicken and steak but from those we spoke to it was very good. There is also a noon hour restaurant on the beach which serves hotdogs, hamburgers and french fries and this too was good. There is an Explorer (kids) club here. They cater to kids 3 years old to 12 years old. The staff are very attentive and quite often visted the pool side to engage the children into the club. We felt very safe with the staff from the kids club. Our 8 year old daughter loved it, especially the bungy jumping (trampoline with harness). At night time they have a mini disco and once a week they have kids camping on the beach which includes a supper meal and a movie on the beach. There is a sign at the kids club that says No Parents Allowed but you can check on them and they will give you a pager (free) should you or they need to contact one another. There is also a club house / tree house and a water splash area at the rear of the kids club. The beach is nice but the water is filled with coral and rocks. There is also a trampoline in the ocean and is a neat experience. The service from the staff is well above average and they are always looking to serve the guests. The grounds are well maintained and we observed several people in wheelchairs having no problem getting around. Overall this hotel met all of our expectations and was probably our most enjoyable holiday yet. One word of caution is that they have venders that come on the grounds twice a week. They are very agressive but if you firmly tell them no they will leave you alone. If you book any excursions off the resort, we suggest you book/speak with your travel representative at the hotel first. If you book this hotel you will definitely have a nice holiday. Have fun!

The Swims

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank SwimOttawa
Reviewed March 17, 2009

4 couples, early 50's arrived on Feb 21 for a week. Flight on Sunwing cramped, but on time! After 20 min bus ride we got to resort and checked in, about 11:30 am. Rooms weren't ready so we took advantage of the lobby bar until 3pm. Little tipsy getting sorted out but glad to be in our room 1320 (standard room) to unpack, get ready for some fun. Only received one room key - got another the next day from the nice lady at the conceige desk ( front desk said no)
Rooms were fine,great comfortable king size bed , bar fridge full. Bathroom could use some work - toilet lever had to be held down to work most times, shower was small but adequate although water did build up from poor drain. Sink area quite nice. Safe didn't work but called and someone arrived in 10 minutes to fix. Safe was included with the room which was nice. Strange, but no towel art in our room but others had theirs each day. Probably depends on the maid. We tipped each day though.
We had a view of the kids area but rarely saw any playing there. There weren't many kids at the resort at all that week.
Couple of things
No "Do Not Disturb" card for the doorknob. Were woke up a couple times at 7:30 am by the housekeeper doing a check? of whether we were still in?
Might want to take a bottle opener - the beer bottles aren't twist off. fridge was filled 3 times, so we just picked up water at the bar to take back to room.

Beach was fantastic. We had 7 days of sun with a couple hrs of rain early one morning. Lounger reserving pretty bad so we joined, but we used ours from about 10 am - 5:30 every day so I didn't feel too bad. Some used theirs for a couple hrs but still left their towels there. No towel cards here so maybe people just leave them since theres nothing that happens if they don't remove them.

Nice to be served on the beach, although it wasn't all that fast. We usually just went and got our own - no problem. For rum you should ask for Barcelo, if not you get bar stock which I found musty tasting. Seemed to run low on some alcohol - Baileys for one.
Lobby bar was where to be at night. Clemente was entertaining. - great bartender.

Food - the seaside grill rib steak was my favorite. Went to French and Italian too. For the most part the food was excellent. Buffet had a large selection.

We didn't take in the pool, we're beach people. Didn't go to any entertainment either. Skipped the Oscar night - we heard it wasn't that great. Hardly anyone there. We really enjoyed the 2 day events we lucked into - Mardi Gras tuesday and DR independance day. Lots of colorful dancers around the pool. They involved the guests too, dressing them up and dancing around the hotel pool.

Note - no liquor for sale at the hotel. We thought we could pick up some DR rum at the airport duty free but they don't sell any DR product there If you want DR rum you need to leave the resort and pick it up at the venders about 5 minutes walk up the street.

Overall we had a fantastic time.. I would recommend it, especially if they tidy up the issues with the plumbing problems mentioned in a lot of the reviews.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank caper888
Reviewed March 17, 2009

Hey ,what can i say other than fantastic ..... The wife and i just returned today , we really enjoyed ourselves ,have been to antigua and barbados and was told the dominican republic was the poor mans carribean ... GET OUTTA HERE .... lol
If i had one grouch it would be the bar in the lobby needs to be bigger and more staff at peak times at night i.e went the show finishes.

1  Thank glennardoShepperton