“great resort for the right price”

Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #12 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Wisconsin
“great resort for the right price”
Reviewed March 10, 2009

Just back form our trip Mar 2-9. The resort is close to the airport so it doesn't take long to arrive. We found this resort very nice. Our room was very nice. More of a "suite" with 2 flat panel t.v.s and 2 bathrooms. We didn't pay anything for that, just lucked out. We did an 6 apple square deal and they send everyone to a Dreams resort. The food was actually pretty good. Of course we liked some restaurants better than others, but overall a good selection and of course great service from every staff member. They do run out of some of the top shelf booze at the lobby bar , I think they are allowed so many bottles of each a day. I don't know why they do that, they really should have it available at all times. They do have a problem with water pressure in the rooms. Not real fun to have a head of shampoo and have the hot water cut out on you and the pressure drop (off). In all, we did like the laid back feeling of the resort and for the right price would consider going back, but, we do like to try different resorts. Like others have said, It is not a 6 apple. How they could think it compares to the paradisus or even be better than Excellence (which we stayed at previosly) is a stretch. I would rate it a 5 because of the good food and top shelf booze, but,until the water pressure issue is resolved and they put out the good booze all the time, it won't be a 6.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank weluv2travel/WI

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,879)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Michigan
Reviewed March 7, 2009

My husband and I took this trip for his 40th birthday. He's 40, I'm 37. We are a couple that likes to relax by day, have lots of fun at night. ABSOLUTELY ACHIEVED THIS! We were there from 2/26 to 3/5. Perfect weather except the last day - overcast, rained for 5 minutes, we still got tons of sun. Having never been to DR, I talked at length with the Apple Reps who suggested this newly remodeled resort - cool difference was no reservations necessary for the a la carte restaurants. We absolutely loved our vacation. No, it is not a 6 apple. Probably a 4 or 5. Yet, we managed to have an incredible time. We believe the vacation is what you make it. We only paid $2500 total (taxes, etc ) for the two of us, which was a bargain for what we got.

Arrival: A breeze. We landed, retrieved our bags easily, hopped a bus and were at our hotel within about an hour of landing. When we got to Dreams (15 minute ride), I was first in line to check in and our room was ready. We were taken to 5113, back toward the beach. GREAT ROOM. Bags were carried and we were shown the way. Excellent service.

Room: Completely remodeled and beautiful. A bit musty, but this we've had this when we've traveled to Mexico as well. We opened our slider and quickly aired out the room. The fresh air was wonderful, especially after leaving Michigan and a balmy 25 degrees! We did have a beautiful bathtub in our room, a very large shower, 2 sinks. King, comfy bed, little sitting area, table, dresser (not huge) and our safe worked just fine. Closet, short on hangars, I packed some wire ones knowing this going in. Our room was perfect, looked just like the pictures online. However, some other people didn't have rooms that were as nice and weren't happy. They complained (nicely, this is the key) and were moved to nicer rooms. Really no big deal, just a minor inconvenience in their eyes.

Preferred Club: To us, didn't seem worth the money. We were offered an upgrade for $50 per night (total, not per person) on arrival. Much more expensive to book it ahead - I think about $600 or $700 extra) Didn't feel we needed it. The only real difference was that you could eat lunch at the Seaside Grill, and the service there was VERY slow. There was a private pool, but to us it wasn't as much fun as the regular pool.

Service: A+, TOP NOTCH, WONDERFUL SERVICE. Everyone except the Japanese restaurant....service there was ok but nothing great. We heard the french restaurant was stuffy, but that was probably the most fun dinner we had. IT'S WHAT YOU MAKE IT!Poolside, we had the same waitress all week and very rarely had to walk to the bar to get a drink. She was totally on the ball and kept us extremely happy (Martha, if you can get her). All restaurant service including buffet, bar service, room service, maids, FABULOUS. The mini bar wasn't ever restocked the same, but you could just call and they'd bring you anything you wanted. Usually about a 20 minute wait, not a big deal. One apple rep was great, the other not so much. So, we just waited for the good one and she was extremely helpful (Alicia maybe?)

Beach: Beautiful. There was a bit of seaweed in places, but we didn't mind. It was usually concentrated and you could tell they were working extremely hard at Dreams to keep it off the beach. Water was warm and beautiful. Water sports are free and fun - Kayaking, Windsurfing, Hobie Cats - they will give you a quick 15 minute lesson and then you can do it whenever you like. We had a ball. Can't go that far down the beach - there are signs "Please stop here for your safety". No biggie - we certainly had our fair share of exercise.

Fitness Center: Small but accomodating. We used the treadmill most days, there was only one so we'd take turns with 20 min outside and 20 in....no problems. We were told there was more equiptment coming very soon.

Food. Oh my goodness, we thought it was fabulous. At breakfast, they had freshly made everything, from french toast, pancakes, donuts to omlettes (Wilburt, the happy egg man was GREAT) to fruit, yogurt, cereal, etc. Lunch had a huge selection of chicken, beef, and seafood, as did dinner. They offered lobster nightly at dinner, it was great! We ate at all the restaurants. The Seaside Grill is beautiful outdoor dining, but the food was nothing to speak of. All other restaurant food was FABULOUS. Best we've had at an all inclusive. We ate early (6:30 - 7) and only had to wait once for a table. Much better than the reservation at check-in policy at other all inclusives we've been to - before this we usually ended up with weird times (9:30, 5:30) and missed them, so this was an EXCELLENT option. They had you a pager that works anywhere in the resort, so you can go grab a cocktail and sit by the beach while you wait. VERY NICE. Loved this option. We ate everything and never got sick at all - my husband used the water to brush his teeth the first couple days, got a bit of a tummy ache, used bottled water and was fine. Drank the blended drinks, lots of ice, no problems.

Entertainment: Carlos, Gasolina and Francisco were AWESOME. They included us in all activities and were a blast. The shows are marginal, but they put a ton of effort in and it's fun to see the DR culture. The last night we were there, the indoor theater opened (3/4). Fine, but we actually preferred it outside because the nights were so beautiful and we loved the fresh air. Sometimes there weren't enough chairs...no big deal, we pulled a pool lounge over and hung out.

****We really believe a vacation is what you make it. You can find negatives if you look for them, but if you look for the good and treat the staff with kindness, you will have a GREAT vacation. Dreams Palm Beach is wonderful, and the staff is striving to make it perfect. We rated our vacation a 10.....we had an amazing week of fun in the sun!

5 Thank kellyd13
acalix
Reviewed March 6, 2009

My husband and I recently styed at the Drems Palm Beach Punta Cana. Let me start by saying this definately is not worthy of a six apple rating. We wasted almost the first whole day of our trip being transfered for one bad room to another. The first room had a leaking toilet seal. We were then taken into a few other rooms one of which the hotel employee opened the door and the ceiling was caving in probably due to water damage. He was so embarrassed for opening the door to this room and immediately summoned us out of the room. I guess we were then upgraded to a suite. I was happy until my husband went to use the bathroom and nearly cut his hand on a dagger like piece of glass from the glass bathroom door which he thought may have been the result of the screw on the door hinge being overtightened. When he called me into the bathroom to show me the broken glass it was then that I noticed all the mold on top of the same glass door. I wasnt about to waste anymore of my vacation jumping from room to room and decided to just remain here for the few days that I had left. I also was under the assumption that all the rooms had one problem or another. I did bring this to the rude Apple reps attention and filed a report she said that the hotel manager would be in touch with me ,which he never was. I dont think the overall rating should be considered very good but no other option was given when rating

2 Thank acalix
Monkton, MD
Reviewed March 5, 2009

Recently returned from one week at Dreams Palm Beach, 2/20 thru 2/27. This was my fifth vacation in Punta Cana. I agree with most reviews that it is not a five star resort, but its not far behind. All of the staff was friendly and accomodating. The food was above average, and the staff in the buffet and specialty restaurants were extremely pleasant. The entertainment team was excellent. Special thanks to Frisco and Gasolino, who work from 9AM to midnight, and never lose their enthusiasm. It's contagious. Both the lobby bar and pool bar ran out of top shelf liquor on a regular basis. You can't beat this place for the price ($1,250 p/p)

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank mykidsinheritance
Arlington, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 27, 2009

We were in Dreams PB Feb 15th-22nd as a last minute booking through a travel agent friend and TNT Charters. Needless to say, other than the reviews we found little actual advertising showcasing this resort and went into the trip apprehensive. I would agree with what others mostly are saying, but most complaints generally roll of well seasoned travellers who aren't looking for 5 star class on a 3 star budget (ie, loud AC, shower configuration, poor cable reception, etc). Dreams PB is just that, a marketed 5 star but with 3 star actuality, just a nice, decent stay with little to really brag about. It is good value if you get a deal like we did with combined air, insurances and resort under 3500 for my wife and I and our 17mos old boy.
so here is what we found and hope that it's helpful....in no particular order:

The beach was very nice, white sand with little underwater grasses, few rocks away from shore. The prevailing winds seem to dictate how good the beach and beach day is however. Out of 7 days, three were far too windy (25kts steady) to even bother with fine white sand blowing in your face, in your drinks and actually made the temperature feel far too cold to bother. The remaining days were gorgeous, with light breezes continually cooling you down and pool like water. There seemed to be many water activity opportunities to the left and right of the main beach area that we didn't take advantage of because of our toddler.

the pool areas are indeed nice, clean and large. On the windy beach days it was a battle to find spaces, but many of us chose to use the grassy areas surrounding the walkways. People tend to reserve both the beach and pool side chairs very, very early. If you arrived after 0830-0900 you were usually out of luck. Thankfully with a baby who was up every day around 0600 this was easy for us.

Resort grounds were clean but you could tell that they had renovated. Many of the grasses were turf patches and many areas lacked plants/flowers/bushes of any kind. We were dissapointed that there were in fact few places to really walk. There were no hidden lush gardens or quiet areas to read like many smaller resorts. There were no specialty touches that seperates this resort from any other. Funny, we saw very few bugs and later learned that they continually spray the resort...which we then found disconcerting since we were sitting in areas most likely sprayed.

As far as the rooms go, it seems no matter what price you pay you pretty much get the same thing. A room detailed with the same decor (white linen canopy, blue accents, little drawer space, chair, table with two chairs and simple patio furniture. The bathroom is nothing great with shower stalls combined with the toilet and sink outside. Pretty simple, nothing extravagant. I think you needed to pay top dollar and get a suite to have anything different....Our room was always cleaned (we were in bldg 9 facing the gazebo) and we found the maids to be very, very good and nice. We also tipped them midway modestly to encourage this service also however. It is good to remember that a few dollars spent on small tips actually does get you better service even though it's "all inclusive".
Mini bar was in fact mini. few beers and soda replenshed far too infrequently, no snacks. We did ask for roomservice and were pleasantly suprised with the quickness and quality. then again our bldg was about 20feet from the cafe. We also asked for help in procurring milk for our boy and many offered to help even though the "fattiest" milk they gave us was 2.5%....

Our family will say despite any service related issues (what is up with the "japanese/chinese" restaurant managers/waiters) we found the DR people to be very generous, sincere and genuine with us and especially our young boy. We also had front desk issues, requested one bed w/ crib and on checkin were given the runaround, two bed no crib deal where the front desk staff was incredulous when we returned, "...are you SURE there wasn't one bed?" We had to wait awhile but we did get what we asked for albeit on the first floor with a balcony that had no glass partition like the 2/3 floors. This would have been fine if you don't have kids as in our building the first floor was a two to three foot drop onto tree stubs. By the way, don't go in back of bldg 9...it's a scary wasteland and I feel for anyone demoted enough to get views of the back of the property.

I can't say enough about the TNT rep, Fernando...he was extremely helpful, even procurring a tub for our son.

Drinks were fine, we found the mexican restaurant to have the friendliest of all staff and most consistent food. Suprisingly, on day 5 all of us came down with traveller's diarrhea despite avoiding the tap water. It took us about a week but we are now fine but I'm angry to realize that we also should have avoided raw, cut fruit which is a staple for us and featured heavily at the world cafe.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
6 Thank SCCJR
Montreal
Reviewed February 26, 2009

We stayed at the Dreams Palm Beach in Punta Cana from Feb 12 to 19, 2009.
Our daughter was getting married there and I cannot thank them enough for their efforts in making this event a magical one. (Very special thanks too Horacio, Cesar and Melany) The rooms were very clean and very nicely decorated (Flat screen TV, Fridge with drinks, comfortable matress and pillows) . The food was great at all time, at the cafateria or at one of the all star 5 restaurants. Staff was great, very enthousiastic and helpful, Drinks were all included which made it even more fun.
Some improvements could be made at the front desk at the time of reception, but we could see they are working on it.
Great place for good time and to enjoy great food

• Stayed February 2009
3 Thank Progim
Minneapolis
Reviewed February 25, 2009

Convenient to the airport (15 minutes ride). Pretty white sand beach. Could use more chairs or an enforcement of the "no reserving chairs" policy. Not too many vendors bothered us on the beach.

Rooms were clean and updated. Bathrooms are strange. Hot water was not available one day. Our safe did not work. It took numerous calls and trips to the desk to get it fixed. Towels were sporadically replenished. Mini bar was also sporadically replinished (my soda preference request was never filled).

Restuarants did not require reservations or have limits on the number of days you could dine there. The food in the restaurants; however, was terrible. The buffet was average and the food selection was repetitive. The buffet staff were kind and friendly. The coffee shop was a nice option. The bars poured some top shelf liquor if you requested (and requested repeatedly as you watched what you were poured); but it was hit or miss on whether they would have your top shelf liquor from day to day. The bar staff were friendly. There were wait staff serving drinks at the pool and beach.

I disagree with Apple's 6 Apple rating. I would rate this resort a 4 Apple at best. It was a nice resort; but not a top-of-the-chart resort grounds, room, food, or service wise. The only 6 Apple things about this resort were the robes and turn down service.

4 Thank kay34