“An exceptional staff makes all the difference!”

Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #46 of 114 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 17, 2009

My husband and I were married at the Dreams Palm Beach on the 17th of January. We were accompanied by forty of our closest friends and family.

Having that this hotel just opened, there were a number of little issues. Nothing worth getting into, but a whole slew of little problems that ranged from annoying to incompetent to frustrating. My greatest pet peeve was naturally that as the guests of honor, we were not provided a suite. We had to hint at then demand a better room (considering we were marrying and that we brought 40 people to their establishment). After the 3rd day we were moved and the room was great.

HOWEVER..... My review for this hotel is OUTSTANDING!

The reason being is the staff of the Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana. From Melani the wedding planner, the hotel photographers to the restaurants, to the housekeeping staff... Everyone was so WARM, attentive, genuine, caring that it made anything and everything else completely melt away.

It doesn't hurt that the Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana is on one of the most beautiful beaches I've had the joy of experiencing. (The sunrise is not to be missed).

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (10,948)

Reviewed February 16, 2009

this is not a 5 star hotel - 4 at best, everythign about this hotel is average at best.
we had an ocean front, preferred club room
here is what we experianced:
dirty, unfinished hotel room - great view but not a 5 star , preferred club level, we would be happy to provide you with pictures
- fridge was not filled for 4 out 7 days
- French restaurant did not allowed kids - this is not adult only resort
- hotel management were ignoring any requests we had, and we only had a few being with a toddler
- bars often ran out of ingredients for drinks - mint etc
- inconsistent room cleaning, staff entering room at 10 pm to clean
- managers openly laughing in our face when we requested to pay for extended check out time

- hallways in the hotel were always flooded after the rain
- manager refused to offer us an umbrella when we wanted to walk back to the room with a small child
- some lights, TV and radio not working in the room
- entertainment was poor
- food was average
we have been to many 5 star hotels - this is not one of them and we would not want see anyone spend their money on this hotel unless you are going for 3 to 4 star experiance.
never again!!!!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank aga37
Reviewed February 16, 2009

Was at Dreams PB from 2/7-2/14. Used Apple vacations and their charter. Be advised that they now charge for a second bag and I don't believe that they did last year. On the flight they now offer a snack bag for $7. Other than that the flight was fine and uneventful. Check in was smooth in my opinion taking about 25 minutes tops with a full bus load of guests. The buffet food was by far the best and had the nicest selection of any all inclusive the 4 of us had ever seen. Between the 2 couples we have been to 21 all inclusives. The specialty restaurants with no reservations was a big plus, the beeper system worked fine. They could use more seating around the main bar area we never had trouble getting a drink but finding a seat in the evening could be a little hard. The service was excellent, from the maids to the bartenders, they were friendly and competent. No matter where you were on the beach or around the pool you wouldn't have to wait long for some one to approach you. We tipped modestly we felt for the service we received and it was graciously accepted. Entertainment in the evening was typical for one of these resorts. The beach did have a lot of seaweed and the answer is obvious. It seems that directly in front of the resort is the gathering spot for all types of motorized water sports. If you walk down the beach to the left there is far less seaweed. The beds were comfortable not extremely firm like most of the mattresses. The door locks are a bit different than most places. The key does not insert or slide but is passed over the sensor on the top. The bathrooms, we had one of the very old bath styles with the half shower door and no tub. It is very messy and would seem to be a maids nightmare and there is no wooden door betweeen the bath and the rest of the room. In conclusion, very good food, great service, some sea weed on the beach and a odd bathroom. We thought all in all it was a good resort and a good value . If next year I can book the same place at the same price I would strongly consider it.

4  Thank westernpa
Reviewed February 16, 2009

Just returned from a week in paradise. Dreams Palm Beach was much more than we expected. We read all the reviews on this particular hotel only after we booked our trip and needless to say, we were a little concerned after reading some of the reviews. I wonder if there are 2 Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana D.R resorts! We loved the resort and the staff. Our stay was 2/7 to 2/14/09. The rooms are beautiful and comfortable. The shower has a poor design that leaves water on the floor, but that would have to be our only complaint. The rooms were cleaned every day, the refrigerator was restocked daily that included plenty of water, and there was a turn down service at night. What a nice touch!
The staff was very helpful and always smiling. The staff that served drinks on the beach were very attentive to us and others around us. The pools were a little cool but very refreshing and beautiful. The beach was great and there were activities going on all the time. Each day we were given a list of activities for the next day along with weather information, drink of the day, and any specials they were having.
The food was exceptional. The buffet was great with lobster and shrimp made to order. The other restaurants were great also with our favorite the Sea Side Grill, the steaks were wonderful! We would recommend this resort to our family and would gladly return ourselves. We were not "preferred" guests but felt we were treated as though we were. We do however suggest that if you do want a chair at the beach or pool, get a towel and place it on a chair in the morning before you go to breakfast. We have been to other resorts where this is done so this was no shock to us but it does upset some guests.

5  Thank Tami P
Reviewed February 15, 2009

Save your money.........this resort is not worth it. This is the first time I write on line about resorts. Just want to warn you not to got there. People are very friendly and always happy, but the property itself was the worst I have ever seen. I travel alot, and this is the WORST I have ever seen. I would rate it 3 Apples and not the 6 it is advertised. It is clean however, but to rate a resort 6 apples and to get there and have nothing to do was the pitts. Everyone we talked to did the "square deal" and ended it there. I know why now.........nobody returns there.

4  Thank travelingangel69
Reviewed February 14, 2009

Stayed with Dreams Palm Beach Hotel oh yes

I have read a lot of bad reviews about this Hotel - - - But hey where is perfect. Did anyone ever have problems with there own home -yes it happens here.
It rained for the first 3 days - yes there was a problem with the room - we informed the desk and they moved us (ok they were not full Thank God).

The food is excellent, its all inclusive and there is champagne on tap, beer is great and the staff are lovely.

When its busy you may wait at the pool bar for a few minutes - so what we are on holidays - chill winston !!!!!!

There is drink service on the beach all day (didnt get that with Sandles Group) - -
Ladies, Gentleman its a lovely place they are trying so hard, we will come back. We have met other Irish here - there are different standards of rooms - Like anywhere - We got an upgrade because of the problem in the room - We got a sitting room, tis lovely.

all the best to you all in The Dreams Palm Beach, and Thank you.

Oh Yeagh - - Outback Safari Its a day trip we did twas nice - Alex our guide ( he has 3 different phones for his women) We had a lovely trip and you a are a an excellent guide - From the Irish couple - you showed us how to buggie board properly - Cheers

7  Thank irishman43
Reviewed February 12, 2009

Well My husband and I booked this resort through our travel agent. We were excited to try something different and thought that Dreams had such a wonderful reputation that we could not go wrong with trying this new renovated resort. Well we were wrong. Save your money go somewhere else...STAY AWAY!!!!!! I want to start by stating I emailed this resort numerous times explaining that this was my 15th wedding anniversary. I wanted it to be perfect. I had read thing on the forum and reviews of the room situations and the numerous problems that were going on. The staff including 2 of the main managers assured me that they would make sure my room was perfect and I had no problems. taking them for there word I did not switch my reservation to a different hotel at the last minute. What a mistake. I arrived to find out I was upgraded to a preferred room(complimentary) Thought this is perfect, great they really want my stay to be the best.. Well I was wrong!!! They put me in a room that had severe plumbing issues( not new issues) after complaining for 2 days we were moved to a new room. I must state that they also put us in a room that had 2 full beds init. I was on my anniversary and they new this why not put us in a room with a king bed where we could sleep together comfortably??? The new room had a king bed and had no problems but to say that these rooms were rnovated just because they had new furniture and some paint is very misleading... The bathroom was very dated with a single person shower that had a half door so that water leaked all over the floor when showering. You are lucky to get hot water. I was at this resort 10 days and never in those ten days did I get service that would qualify as a 5 or 6 star resort. a 3 or 4 tops. Trying to get served a drink was impossible. The waitresses never came around and seemed bothered if you asked them to get you something. I was always the first to say "Hola" or smile. I saw alot of Maintenance men standing around when they should have been fixing the numerous problems with the rooms, plumbing. There was a serious water pipe that broke and left the first floor of building 3 in preferred section flooded. I tried to post a pic but Trip advosor said it was blurry... I will not ramble on for most of my statements I have said in the forums. This resort is Awful, has no atmosphere, no activities, just plain boring... Try the Catalonia down the street I here it is beautiful and you can upgrade there to Adult onlyu instead of preferred for less money than a regular room at Dreams. Going there in October and can't wait. Stay tuned... If you want luxury like Dreams claims they give you then try somewhere else the only thing good about this resort was the no reservations, no Towel cards.... and the food. Try Iberostar too they are the best....

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple