“Another wonderful experience at Dreams”

Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #12 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Thornhill, Canada
“Another wonderful experience at Dreams”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

This our second trip to a Dreams Resort. Last year we stayed in Puerto Vallarta and decided to try Punta Cana this year. We had another really good experience at Dreams Palm Beach. My husband and I both have food allergies and on arrival we spoke to Yosmary and Yeraldin at the Concierge Desk. Our lists of food allergies were translated into Spanish and we were each given a letter on the Resort Letterhead that we could show in the restaurants. We were very impressed with the professional treatment we were shown by the chefs and supervisors in the al la carte and buffet restaurants. Special mention for exceptional service to Perfecto and Leandro and Ramon. We had wonderful meals in all of the restaurants but went back twice to Bordeaux, the French restaurant. We had been told that the resort had recently undergone renovations, but did find the bathroom to be small with the sink outside of the shower and toilet area. We had originally requested a room on the first floor to avoid walking up stairs. It should be noted that first floor rooms are actually up a flight of stairs and the main floor rooms are called ground floor rooms. We ended up staying in a room on the first floor. The beach was soft sand and the water a beautiful shade of blue but the water was rather weedy. Ground crews frequently raked the weeds from the beach to keep the area clean. As non smokers, we found it difficult to find any place at the beach or pool that was not smoky. Our suggestion is to designate one of the two large pools as the non smoking pool and make a non smoking section on the beach as well. We would recommend this resort to friends and would definitely return to Dreams Palm Beach again. The staff were wonderful and as they said each day, Dreams was excellente.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Elaine R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,878)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed March 6, 2014

This is a thank you note to the staff at this hotel Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana during the periode 29 January to 20 February 2014.

Unfortunately, my husband ended up in the hospital Bravaro in Punta Cana, due to serious health complications.
Although we were tourists from Norway, and communication was difficult, I felt that the help and care came especially from Derluis Nava Chief concierge, Yosmary Arias and the other staff at this hotel.
This gave Me confidence and relaxation during My stay.

NOTE: Personnel who provide such Security and thoughtfulness is well Worth taking good care of, for the hotel Chains interest.

Thank you for invaluable help during my stay at the hotel Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana!

Åse Aliprantis, Norway

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I just returned yesterday from Palms Beach Punta Cana and was very sad to leave. I went with my parents and sister and we enjoyed every second of our stay. The staff was wonderful. They were all so friendly and upbeat. The Entertainment staff was the absolute best! They did not miss a beat with all of the activities going on each day and night. We were non-stop entertained. Woody was my favorite! I miss them already. The food was exellent. The size of the resort was smaller which I liked because you could walk to the beach, pool, restaurants all within a few minutes. My sister, mom and I all received spa treatments which were great. We got to use the spa facilities after our treaments which included a sauna, steam room, hydro-pool, hot tub & ice pool. I would highly recommend this resort for those looking for a relaxing trip with great food and entertainment. I hope to go back to this resort again. Thank you Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana Resort Staff for welcoming us and making us feel at home.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Jennie R
Dombovar, Hungary
Reviewed March 6, 2014

First, I observe that I have never written evaluation yet because I was lazy in turn. I’ve been a few places in the world , but I liked it so much that I feel must share my experiences with you.

EXCELENTE

Ola Amigos ( Hello my friends )

We started on this trip, I had to quickly decide whether to take advantage of cheap flights has given opportunity and this past year at a difficult period closed , forgetting energy is sucked into ourselves , revolving the sun , from the experience .

I have to say very, very well , we decision ! !

Not a palm tree, the white sand ( which was a flour -fine ) because we are already in Thailand , Vietnam experienced , but the Dominican people's mentality , good humor , to life attitude attracted me , but really !
They are crazy as me !

Our holiday was the best ever , and is largely due to the Punta Cana Dreams Palm Beach Resort of all inclusive hotel staff . Just few to mention : WOODY , ELIAS , LISANDRO , SANDRO , CANDYMAN, GASOLINA animators who are as crazy as me , Raffael the pool bar waiter , and ANGEL restaurant waiter who for all moment looking my wishes .

Have not had such a super accommodation, but we do not have the word ALL INCLUSIVE always, every moment can be consumed like food and beverage opportunities , but also the services , programs, events, countless multitude and diversity . In the restaurant was a lot of food and were very delicious.

It was all on the beach: Paea ( Dominican food) production, Sangria making, fruit decoration, Hamburger Festival , Kebab festival, at the pool every day for the ladies aerobics , crazy games, dancing lesson, Spanish language lessons , Zumba , evening light shows and shows in the evenings live music and dancing in the main square , the theater circus, acapella , magic show , western show (on which we took part ) . So the big recovery has not been two minutes of free time to get bored ....

Dominican people called EXCELENTE ! ! ! It is a Spanish word that means to get great , superb ! If you ask someone: „how are you?” the answer is always EXCELENTE ....

So the magic word : EXCELENTE ! !

We want go back NOW!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank sacsa1969
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

When you book a vacation and are looking for home away from home this is the best resort ever. We scheduled a family vacation to stay at ocean sands in punta Cana. We checked in and checked out in less than 2 hours the ratings on hotel were 4 star . Once I saw the grounds and rooms I knew this place is disgusting. The manager was no help.
We all checked out called dreams palm beach where we stayed in July 2013.
Julio made sure he had a too for us he also contacted the manager informed he of our return and bad experience we just encounted at ocean sands and had everything ready for me and my family. The staff all remember us and were happy to see us.
Our biggest mistake was to have booked another hotel thinking that the cleanliness and staff would be the same. I was wrong no other hotel can compare the quality of staff , service , cleanliness to dreams plan beach.
Many thanks to Alexandra , Milan, Pedro for accommodating us in a moment of disaster that we experienced at ocean sands.
Many thanks to excellent staff that made the stay comfortable. You really are like family.
Thank you to Carlos , Alexander, Reynaldo , Felix , Perfecto, Tito, for your outstanding professionalism and respect that you give to vacationers. Without Julio helping us I don't know what would have happened to us at 5pm with no hotel booked because of the disgusting service at ocean sands.

This resort meets expectation !!! It is clean it has excellent staff food and grounds. You always see Pedro and Milan the managers walking around the resort making sure all is well.

I will return to this hotel again because I know that it is home away from home.
We have made friends family and I know that my family is treated the best from you all.

See you all soon

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank princessD18
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 6, 2014

This was our first trip to the Dominican and we were very pleased with this resort (one week stay). We have been to three similarly rated all-inclusives in Mexico (Riviera Maya), and felt that Dreams Palm Beach was our best overall experience. Every place has its pros and cons...here is our assessment of this property...

Pros
- The service overall...We found the staff to be friendly, helpful, and playful. A few hightlights...Lizandro and Candyman from the entertainment staff; Reynaldo and Javier from the swim-up bar; Rafael from the pool beverage service; and Emilio from the wait staff. The housekeeping staff was thorough and timely. I was especially impressed with their ability to notice when we left the room quickly clean or do turn-down service.
- The food/restaurants...For the a la cartes, the food and service was top notch, and we really like the 'no reservation' system. For the buffet, it was always easy to get a table, and the variety and quality of the food was good. I liked how many 'cood to order' stations there were. We were also pleasantly surprised by the different offerings each day in the pool and beach areas...ribs, paella, grilled kabobs, etc.
- The beverage selection and quality...There was a nice selection of top shelf liquor (especially at the lobby lounge), and the bartenders weren't shy about making strong drinks. At other places we've been, we've wondered if the liquor was watered-down, but not here. As we said many times, the drinks at Dreams Palm Beach are no joke! (in a good way)

Cons
- This isn't a new property, and it showed its age in some areas...most noticeably in the rooms. They are nice enough, and certainly all that we needed, but they could probably use a facelift in the near future. But before you get too worried about the rooms...They were always clean, the bed was comfortable, and the air conditioning worked. What more do you really need?
- The beach...this isn't really the fault of the resort, but this stretch of beach/ocean has a fair amount of seaweed. They did a really good job of keeping the beach as clean as possible, but it's not 100% pristine like some people may prefer. It didn't bother us, and one thing I liked about this beach over the Mexican beaches we've been to is that the water was relatively calm.

All in all, when we add up the the things we liked with the few minor nitpicks, we were very happy with our stay at Dreams Palm Beach and would definitely go back. This is also our second stay at an Amstar property (first was at Now Jade in Mexico), and it has reinforced our high opinion about their standards for quality, service, and overall customer experience.

Room Tip: If you want a true ocean view, you'll need to upgrade to the preferred club. We had a garden vi...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jonsavi
New York, NY
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Overall: Dreams Palm Beach is a friendly, clean resort with a few warts. Despite my overall 3-star rating, I would stay here again knowing what I know now. Now onto the detail:

Staff: This is really the main reason I'd consider coming back. Nearly all of the staff here are friendly, warm and genuinely seem to care about you having a good time. A lot of them make an effort to remember you and go above and beyond to make your stay great. Again, can't say enough about the staff.

Rooms: We originally checked into a tropical view, non-preferred room, with a view toward upgrading if the room wasn't that great. We chose to do so after checking into the room. We paid a bit extra to get into a honeymoon, ocean-view "Preferred Club" suite. It was very much worth it. You should note the difference between ocean-view and ocean-front (more on that later).

The rooms are generally clean and well-appointed, although our non-Preferred Club room was a bit dated and shoddy in some aspects—notably the mini-bar fridge, the face of which badly rusted over. The suite we upgraded to was very nice, although the ceiling in the bathroom was slowly crumbling during our stay. Housekeeping was spotty, with our room being cleaned around 5pm and turned over only about an hour or two later. Not entirely ideal, but not a big deal.

Preferred Club (PC) privileges: I echo everyone else in saying that these are definitely worth it. The PC lounge is a nice amenity, with extra beers available and snacks available all day long. The Seaside Grill serves a sit-down waitered (non-buffet) breakfast and lunch, which isn't available otherwise.

The privileges are worth it for, if anything, the free WiFi. If you don't get PC, you're required to go to the internet center to buy codes, which run on a timed system. So if you pay for five-hours of internet, and forget to log out at the end of your session, you may end up basically blowing through that cap and have to buy a new one (which isn't cheap). With PC, you get unlimited free codes, although over the course of a week-long stay you may end up having to ask for codes many times (especially if you have multiple devices, since the codes are limited to one device).

Don't upgrade to PC for the "upgraded mini bar" -- the only difference that I saw was that the PC minibar had juice boxes (no wine or liquor present in the minibar). Also the "luxury bath amenities" were exactly the same as in the non-PC room. Also, I don't believe we ever received the complimentary newspaper.

Food and alcohol: About what'd you expect from an all-inclusive. The hibachi and Italian dinner spots were pretty good. Seaside Grill were great for breakfast and lunch. The red wine was pretty odd in that it had almost a carbonated quality to it. It wasn't good, but not terrible either. The liquor on the other hand seemed to be watered-down – I drank maybe about 10 cocktails a day without really ever feeling a buzz. Go for the "mama juana" liquor which seemed to be most effective (although it is touted as an aphrodisiac, so be careful!) The buffet serves pretty much the same things every day and was okay.

So onto the warts.

Upgrade shenanigans: so immediately after checking in, we decided to upgrade. I was shown an ocean-front room on the 2nd floor with beautiful panoramic ocean views, and told the upgrade would be $x/day (for an equivalent room, not that same room). The price was a fraction of what we would have paid if it was booked ahead of time, so I thought it was a no-brainer. I was told to check back in the next day to see what was available. I then learned that another guest had secured a similar upgrade (albeit a room with a lesser view of the ocean) at half the price I was quoted, so the next day I tried to negotiate the price down, and was quoted $50 less per night (still a lot more than what the other guest had paid), and was asked to check back in a few hours after people had checked-out and rooms had been cleaned.

When I returned to the desk, I was told that the only suite available was on the first floor, with barely any ocean view at the same amount of $x/day (without the $50/night discount). Not surprisingly, I declined the deal. After about 5-10 minutes of working the computer screen the desk agent came back with a suite on the third floor, which I clearly understood to mean the third floor of the two rooms I had looked at earlier (which was ocean-FRONT) with the $50/night discount. I thought it was a great deal, so I charged the extra amount. When the porter came to move our luggage and show the new room, however, I learned that the suite was in a different building, with a much more limited view of the ocean. Not really wanting to cause a stressful fuss on vacation, I let it go. I figured something got lost because of the language barrier. In the end, it was still a fair deal, but I don't think I was completely honestly dealt with.

Sales presentation: if you're approached in the lobby to have breakfast at one of the sister resorts, be warned that it is a sales presentation for a loyalty program that takes 2+ hours of your day. I was expecting a nice breakfast on the beach or something similar, but it was just a buffet breakfast pretty much comparable to the one at the resort. The problem is that you're not told outright when you agree to go that it's a sales presentation. I figure we should have known better, but again, not very forthright. It's only when you get there that they tell you. Granted, they explicitly give you the warning before the pitch, but we had already taken a 10+ minute taxi ride there so we just obliged. They lead you on a tour of the properties, never really quite revealing what they are pitching to you, and when you get to the finish line, it turns out what they're selling you is literally thousands of dollars of commitment. No thanks.

Casino: be careful when you play blackjack. They deal fast and furious here. Mistakes are made and you have to be on your toes. For example, if dealer is showing an Ace, they are not asking you if you want insurance. If you wave no, they will assume you are refusing a hit (not sure why anyone would stay on a 12 against a dealer ace).

Next time around I'd like to think we'd be more informed guests and avoid these problems. Live and learn! With all that said, knowing what I know now, I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Get the preferred club upgrade. And ask if your room is ocean-front or ocean-view. There is a big...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple