“Nice resort, friendly service -- with a few warts.”

Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
Ranked #15 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York, NY
“Nice resort, friendly service -- with a few warts.”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Overall: Dreams Palm Beach is a friendly, clean resort with a few warts. Despite my overall 3-star rating, I would stay here again knowing what I know now. Now onto the detail:

Staff: This is really the main reason I'd consider coming back. Nearly all of the staff here are friendly, warm and genuinely seem to care about you having a good time. A lot of them make an effort to remember you and go above and beyond to make your stay great. Again, can't say enough about the staff.

Rooms: We originally checked into a tropical view, non-preferred room, with a view toward upgrading if the room wasn't that great. We chose to do so after checking into the room. We paid a bit extra to get into a honeymoon, ocean-view "Preferred Club" suite. It was very much worth it. You should note the difference between ocean-view and ocean-front (more on that later).

The rooms are generally clean and well-appointed, although our non-Preferred Club room was a bit dated and shoddy in some aspects—notably the mini-bar fridge, the face of which badly rusted over. The suite we upgraded to was very nice, although the ceiling in the bathroom was slowly crumbling during our stay. Housekeeping was spotty, with our room being cleaned around 5pm and turned over only about an hour or two later. Not entirely ideal, but not a big deal.

Preferred Club (PC) privileges: I echo everyone else in saying that these are definitely worth it. The PC lounge is a nice amenity, with extra beers available and snacks available all day long. The Seaside Grill serves a sit-down waitered (non-buffet) breakfast and lunch, which isn't available otherwise.

The privileges are worth it for, if anything, the free WiFi. If you don't get PC, you're required to go to the internet center to buy codes, which run on a timed system. So if you pay for five-hours of internet, and forget to log out at the end of your session, you may end up basically blowing through that cap and have to buy a new one (which isn't cheap). With PC, you get unlimited free codes, although over the course of a week-long stay you may end up having to ask for codes many times (especially if you have multiple devices, since the codes are limited to one device).

Don't upgrade to PC for the "upgraded mini bar" -- the only difference that I saw was that the PC minibar had juice boxes (no wine or liquor present in the minibar). Also the "luxury bath amenities" were exactly the same as in the non-PC room. Also, I don't believe we ever received the complimentary newspaper.

Food and alcohol: About what'd you expect from an all-inclusive. The hibachi and Italian dinner spots were pretty good. Seaside Grill were great for breakfast and lunch. The red wine was pretty odd in that it had almost a carbonated quality to it. It wasn't good, but not terrible either. The liquor on the other hand seemed to be watered-down – I drank maybe about 10 cocktails a day without really ever feeling a buzz. Go for the "mama juana" liquor which seemed to be most effective (although it is touted as an aphrodisiac, so be careful!) The buffet serves pretty much the same things every day and was okay.

So onto the warts.

Upgrade shenanigans: so immediately after checking in, we decided to upgrade. I was shown an ocean-front room on the 2nd floor with beautiful panoramic ocean views, and told the upgrade would be $x/day (for an equivalent room, not that same room). The price was a fraction of what we would have paid if it was booked ahead of time, so I thought it was a no-brainer. I was told to check back in the next day to see what was available. I then learned that another guest had secured a similar upgrade (albeit a room with a lesser view of the ocean) at half the price I was quoted, so the next day I tried to negotiate the price down, and was quoted $50 less per night (still a lot more than what the other guest had paid), and was asked to check back in a few hours after people had checked-out and rooms had been cleaned.

When I returned to the desk, I was told that the only suite available was on the first floor, with barely any ocean view at the same amount of $x/day (without the $50/night discount). Not surprisingly, I declined the deal. After about 5-10 minutes of working the computer screen the desk agent came back with a suite on the third floor, which I clearly understood to mean the third floor of the two rooms I had looked at earlier (which was ocean-FRONT) with the $50/night discount. I thought it was a great deal, so I charged the extra amount. When the porter came to move our luggage and show the new room, however, I learned that the suite was in a different building, with a much more limited view of the ocean. Not really wanting to cause a stressful fuss on vacation, I let it go. I figured something got lost because of the language barrier. In the end, it was still a fair deal, but I don't think I was completely honestly dealt with.

Sales presentation: if you're approached in the lobby to have breakfast at one of the sister resorts, be warned that it is a sales presentation for a loyalty program that takes 2+ hours of your day. I was expecting a nice breakfast on the beach or something similar, but it was just a buffet breakfast pretty much comparable to the one at the resort. The problem is that you're not told outright when you agree to go that it's a sales presentation. I figure we should have known better, but again, not very forthright. It's only when you get there that they tell you. Granted, they explicitly give you the warning before the pitch, but we had already taken a 10+ minute taxi ride there so we just obliged. They lead you on a tour of the properties, never really quite revealing what they are pitching to you, and when you get to the finish line, it turns out what they're selling you is literally thousands of dollars of commitment. No thanks.

Casino: be careful when you play blackjack. They deal fast and furious here. Mistakes are made and you have to be on your toes. For example, if dealer is showing an Ace, they are not asking you if you want insurance. If you wave no, they will assume you are refusing a hit (not sure why anyone would stay on a 12 against a dealer ace).

Next time around I'd like to think we'd be more informed guests and avoid these problems. Live and learn! With all that said, knowing what I know now, I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Get the preferred club upgrade. And ask if your room is ocean-front or ocean-view. There is a big...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank taestee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,802)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
ontario
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Because of the price of this hotel, I was expecting it to be unbelievable. I paid dearly for a room that was barely a 3 star. The beach is not on the gorgeous Bavarro beach side. It was very weedy and taking a walk meant trudging through not only weeds but lots of trash. They dilegently cleared the beach area daily but if you like to take long walks or runs on the beach this wouldnt be the place. It was not the beach I remembered from my last experience in Punta Cana. When we arrived the front desk immediately tried to upgrade us to VIP or Priviledge club for an additional $1000.00 which became $750.00 and then a day later $350.00. We denied thinking all the rooms are likely very nice considering the name and the price. Well the shower leaked and sprayed everywhere leaving a big mess everytime it was used for the rest of the day or evening. The beds are very old and small. I normally don't complain about my room but when you book a 5 star ,there are expectations. Apparently if majority of the families travelling with teenagers were given larger rooms with a seperate bedroom, but we tried to upgrade but couldnt get anywhere with concierge without paying more. They just didnt care. If you are staying here I would recommend you insist on staying in the renovated part- The old part wouldve been fine if we paid less. Not really thrilling grounds -very basic and outdated. The entertainment consisted of 4-6 silly staff members -Woody and Gasolina jumped through hoops to keep everyone laughing. No real draw to the evening shows( unless you just want a good laugh) During our stay there was a Oscars party with a projection screen to watch the live feed along with a red carpet which was kind of fun, a beach party, a foam pool party with big inflatable climbing toys, Lots going on like volleyball and soccer games during the day. What I liked best was there were no lines ups or wait for drinks or restaurants, and no reservations necessary for the al a cartes. Likely due to the over abundace of staff. The Sea Side Grill was our favorite because of the beach setting and outdoor atmosphere. The service was excellent everytime at all the restaurants.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank candyok
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2014

This was our first time to an AR resorts property.have previously been to quite a few iberostar,riu and sandals resorts.have to say this resort compared very favourably with all three.obviously some things are not as good others better but no resort is absolutely perfect.overall this resort rates with us as good to very good and incredible value for money.
We were upgraded to a newly renovated tropical garden room and very nice it was too.never seen a shower room as big.it had 3 showers in it and could have accommodated 12 people at ease.we found the food in the a la carte restaurants to be of very high quality (maybe the mexican disappointing).the only minus we thought was the quality and service in the buffet.although maybe we are unfairly comparing to the vast mexican buffets we have enjoyed.that being the case we ate in the a la carte restaurants every night without problem.the Italian and French were our favourites.
Talking about favourites just cannot forget to mention the coco cafe.all manner of coffees and delicious pastries available day and night and the staff in there were amazing.special mention for Midelcania who works there.she was the most pleasant,courteous girl you could wish to meet.always smiling and greeting you.after a couple of days we never had to order.she just remembered what we wanted-skinny cafe con leche with Molly's!
With the resort being smaller than we have experienced before it was a very friendly resort.the lobby bar in the evenings was a great place to meet friends for the whole holiday.
The beach is very good with lots of shade and never a problem to find loungers.the beach does suffer from seaweed being washed up continually but the gardening staff do a wonderful job in clearing this 2 or 3 times a day.
The entertainment is good although during the day more aimed at the younger set.
Overall we had a fantastic holiday and would be return-absolutely,can't wait.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room if available
2 Thank trev602
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed March 5, 2014

I had my wedding at Dreams Palm Beach January 2014. It was a great experience! Our wedding coordinator Julie was organized and would bend over backwards to accommodate us. She really made the planning easy. We loved her and so did our guests. She made the day perfect! Our photographer Gaston was very skilled, professional and produced some beautiful photos! The whole trip was great! The rooms were always nice and clean. The staff were all friendly and helpful. The swim-up bar, beach and the Coco Cafe were our favourites spots with our guests. We had the Tropical room with the preferred club, but when we got there they upgraded us for free in an ocean view room. It was a smaller resort so it worked well for guests because we could walk around and easily find people in our group. If you want to have your wedding in paradise with a stressfree experience, this is the place to do it!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Rachel C
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 5, 2014

This is our first time writing in tripadvisor. We've travelled the Carribean for the past 15 years, the last 5 in Barbados, Bermuda and Bahamas. We loved our vacation at Dreams Palm Beach. It was a family vacation with our 4-year old son, nanny and grandmother. We upgraded to Preferred Club, and were treated like royalty ! Thanks to Vangie Severino and her team - Kenia, Lola and others at the Club, Wilson the butler, Rosanna the maid, Abbey and Allison from the Explorer's Club, Gasolina, Felix the waiter, Perfecto the French restaurant manager, as well as Jonathan at the Italian, Emilio at the World Cafe, Coco boy and Damirus at the Coco Café, and all the wonderful staff at the Sea Side Grill. Thanks to Pedro, the caring hotel general manager.
The food was great, the grounds were impeccable, the entertainment was wonderful.
Our ocean-front suite and adjoining deluxe room were beautiful and we highly recommend upgrading to the Preferred club.
This whole trip - even before we arrived at the Dreams Palm Beach - ran smoothly because of Vangie's total dedication to our well-being and enjoyment of the place. Kudo !
We are already dreaming of returming to the Deams Palm Beach in Punta Cana. Hopefully in November !
Love, Joanne, Jean-Pierre and little Maxime from Montreal, Canada

Room Tip: Upgrade to the ocean-front Preferred Club. Very quiet and beautiful.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We were extremely surprised at how we were received at the Preferred Club.
Check in to check out was a personal experience and could not find one staff member who was not happy and willing to please us.
Our pool and beach experience with German was absolutely great, he was jovial and willing to serve us drinks and help throughout our stay.
Kudos to the management and training of their staff. We spoke with many employees and they were all very pleased to serve their customers and be part of the Dreams Palm Beach team.
Will definitely go back...
Pedro Tomas, congratulations to you and your staff!!!
Anna y Bruno

Room Tip: Building 3 Preferred club- close to everything and quiet
1 Thank Bruno M
Buffalo, New York, United States

WELCOME HOME!
That's the way we were welcomed! Dreams Palm Beach in Punta Cana has previously been one of our favorite destinations. However, this time - it truly was HOME! Raul drove us to the resort, and chatted with us like we were his loving family. From the first moment we were treated like ROYALTY, yet at the same time like FAMILY! Our group of three couples were welcomed with loads of smiles and kind personalities right at the entrance of the resort...of course, with drinks and refreshing towels. Milan, who kept his eye on us throughout our stay, helped to make sure this greeting was SPECTACULAR!

PREFERRED CLUB
Checking in was not only quick, but extremely pleasant! All the happy staff at the Preferred Club was eager to get you settled. Alexandra and all her adorable friends became a part of our family - it was love at first sight! By the end of our trip, I felt like they knew my family, I knew their family, and we were family together! Their sense of humor made my day each and every time I walked into them. I tried to find something to complain about all week long...but all I could come up with was...THE WATER IS TOO WET!!! Thank you all the fun energetic girls at the Preferred Club for keeping up with my sense of humor and being there for us all week long!

BUTLER SERVICE
Once checked in - amazing option - getting your own BUTLER!!!! Seriously!?!??! Awesome, right?!!!!! Well, it WAS! Jose was our BUTLER for the week, while Alexander covered for him on his days off. WOW!!! I felt like a princess all week long - Jose really focused on each and every need you might have. Need a reservation made? Call Jose! Need some food to be delivered to you directly to the beach...since getting off your chair takes too much effort? Call Jose! Need to just call someone and say Hi...you got it - call Jose!!! This was a great perk! Too bad I couldn't take Jose home with me!

ROOM
Our gorgeous room had a semi-living/dining room, a king-size bedroom, a shower, a hot tub, two bathrooms, 2 TVs, 2 entrance balcony with my very own hammock!!!! The room overlooked a gorgeous garden area and the pool. Quiet, peaceful, and very clean! The maid service was SUPERB! Our room was cleaned twice a day - fresh towels, robes, pretty flower creations on the bed and on the curtains - every single day...anything you asked for...it was there...HEAVEN!

BEACH
The beach - white sand with loads of chairs EVERYWHERE! You DO NOT have to save your chairs with towels and books on them at 6am!!! If you get there at 7, 9, 11 am and can't find chairs - ask any of the employees, and your chairs will appear at your feet in minutes! ANYTIME!!! I don't know where they get these chairs...but it was never an issue! And always done with a smile!!!! The employees respond one way...and one way only - IT'S A PLEASURE!!!! Bartenders walk the beach constantly, so you really never even have to get up to get your drinks...why should you, right :) Also, plenty of shade is available for those who want to have the sun...but not burn. Hector was also very pleasant and professional - took great care of us!

POOL
Rafael was a very sweet and kind bartender by the pool. Always patient with our long orders. Always knew my favorite drink for the rest of the day, even though I only asked for it one time! His memory is amazing! The pool bar was never crazy busy, but fun was had for sure! If you are looking for a quiet place to hang out by the pool, there are plenty of options!

ENTERTAINMENT
The staff on the entertainment team was a dream come true! Their personalities made each and every day and evening a pure pleasure to be around them. Candyman was one of the most energetic, humorous, and loving entertainers ever~!!! There was fun for all to be had! If you came with children, they had loads of activities for them - including bounce houses and water slides right on the beach! I personally enjoyed the bonfire right on the beach, a dance party right on the beach, nightly live music in several spots of the resort, a BBQ cookout...yep...right on the beach! One of my favorites was the cooking of a paella RIGHT ON THE BEACH!!!
Dancing was everywhere! Live music was different each night - amazing talents! Water activities - schedules were delivered to your room daily - there are activities for all tastes!

RESTAURANTS
Besides a delicious buffet (which had grilled lobsters constantly!!!), there were very classy restaurants to chose from every night: Italian, French, Asian, Japanese, Mexican, and Steakhouse. I enjoyed the buffet for breakfast several days, and an ala carte breakfast restaurant the other days. You like steak & seafood??? Visit the French restaurant and get surt and turf, and seafood crepe - the most tender filet!!!! Perfecto was our server - he went above and beyond to make our dinner experience a special one!!! During dinner Lily started singing - we felt like we were in a private concert! Victor and Cesar at Seaside restaurant were very fun and professional servers/bartenders! A young lady Flor always had a lovely smile at any restaurant we visited!!!

The Preferred Club offers delicious treats for breakfast, lunch, and dinner as well. Throughout the day you also get spoiled with a shish-kebob cart rolling around the pool - freshly made chicken and steak kebobs - the smell is to die for! Fresh ice slushes with loads of flavors are made right in front of your eyes daily by the pool!

COFFEE SHOP
I have never been to a resort that has its own Coffee Shop that opens at 6am - I think there were over 30 different drink options between hot and cold coffees - plus delicious pastries! What else could I ever ask for!?!?!

SPA
Brand new spa with a gorgeous private quiet rest area!!! Pool, hot tub, cold tub, sauna - you name it, they have it! We booked our service with Matilde - who is a sweetheart!!!! She visited us on the beach daily - nobody ever pushed any sales!!! Once you see the spa though - it will be a sale in itself!!!! Yokasta - another sweet personality!!!! I had a hot stone done...highly suggest you treat yourself to one as well!

LANGUAGES
Very impressive how many language the staff speaks and understands! You see clients from all over the world - Germany, Italy, Canada, Russia - and all are able to express themselves and be understood!!! Some staff who really want to learn more and improve their foreign language skills are taking classes to learn Russian - the desire is there! Since I spoke Russian, several of the staff asked me to help them pronounce phrases correctly - it was more than my pleasure - they are all so eager to learn more to satisfy their clients!!!

PROBLEMS?
Throughout this trip only two problems occured...maybe YOU can fix them the next time you arrive at Dreams Palm Beach in Punta Cana.

#1 - the managers play beach volleyball every Thursday against GUESTS...and the managers have never lost! So, please go visit Dreams Palm Beach and BEAT them!!! It will give many guests total satisfaction, while giving the managers nothing else to brag about - lol!

#2 - the water was too wet - hahhahha
If you can handle these two major problems...then you DESERVE to go HOME to DREAMS PALM BEACH!!!

I couldn't end this review without mentioning the general manager of Dreams Palm Beach - Pedro Thomas. There are not enough words to describe this man - a young manager who KNOWS HIS STUFF!!! Pedro knows this resort, Pedro knows his staff, and Pedro knows his guests! The treatment the clients get from each employee is due to the high expectations and fantastic training the Pedro offers. His presence is evident - he is everywhere!!! Each time he will spend quality time with guests - taking to them, answering their questions, and making sure their requests are totally satisfied FAST!!! Pedro's personality and expertise are exactly the reason why Dream Palm Beach was our home this past week, and will be for many years to come!!! Already making plans to come this July, and next February!!!

So, join us at Dreams Palm Beach - YOUR HOME!!!!

5 Thank Sofia M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Punta Cana
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Now Larimar Punta Cana
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana
Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Majestic Elegance Punta Cana
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Punta Cana

Been to Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana? Share your experiences!