“I don't want to wake up from this Dream!”

Ranked #47 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I was very reluctant writing this review as I still can't get over the fact that our vacation is over.If you asked me to come back to this hotel,despite 12 hour flight I'd be happy to pack my suitcase and although I made a promise to myself to never go to the same place twice (there are so many beautiful places around the world!) I might break that promise.And here is why:

The hotel is located 15mins from the PC airport which in our case after such a long journey was very convenient.Rooms didn't "wow" us but were decent enough.We were in a deluxe tropical view overlooking the Explorer's Club (very quiet day and night).The fridge could be a bit cooler but it wasn't an issue.The AC was working perfectly (you could hear it but I wouldn't call it loud).As for the toilets it didn't bother us that there was no proper door but I wouldn't recommend it to new couples or families.We had our room cleaned once a day + a turndown service which was a very nice touch,mini bar refilled daily and I can't complain about the cleanliness of the room nor the whole resort.

The water in the pools was clean and warm albeit my white swimsuit got green after few swims in it.It can be easly washed by ordinary soap but I would suggest you leave your expensive bikini for sunbathing only.I would suggest to leave it in your drawer but topless or nude is not allowed anywhere near the hotel:(.The beach is beautiful.I won't lie,there is a seaweed in the water and by the shore but there are also very hardworking man racking it up few times a day.The warmth of the water amazed me!It is much easier to get a lounger on the beach than at the swimming pool area were people throw towels on the chairs in the morning to reserve them and show up at 2-3pm-how rude!There are also lots of water activities:
hobie cats,kayaks,windsurfing etc.+ water trampoline for kids which are free of charge and scuba,parasailing,snorkeling,speedboats at additional costs (Ask in Seapro watersport centre for a good price-look for Captain Coco Loco!).

Everyday there are different activities provided by Entertainment Team:games on the beach,pilates,zumba,stretching class,water aerobics,nightly shows,karaoke,movies on the beach and the list goes on.You are not pushed to do any of the above if you just want to relax and read a book on the lounger but I'm telling you-you are wasting a lot of time because it was so much fun that on my whole holiday I red 1 page of my book!I simply didn't have time because there was so much going on!And if you're planning to take kids on your holiday then I can guarantee that they won't be bored!

I've put on a bit of weight during our 11 day stay at the hotel so that is the greatest proof that the food was delicious!We went to all of the restaurants excluding the French one.Our favourite was Japanese/Chinese Himitsu-we were there 4 times!Miguel at the teppanyaki table is a great entertainer and the food he made in front of us was delicious!We also liked the World Cafe-full of choice and very tasty and fresh! As for the drinks,I don't go on vacation to walk drunk around the pools from dawn to dusk and I'm not an expert neither but all I can say is that they were good,not exceptional.Joel and Wilquin were very friendly while taking care of us by the pool.

All the staff in general is very hard working and friendly.Despite long working hours they are always smiling and nothing is too much trouble.(World Cafe manager-Clemente went out of his way to get me the exact dish I wanted although it wasn't served in any of the restaurants!that is called a great service!)The service(especially room service) can be sometimes slow but hey!you are in Caribbeans - there's no need to rush!We have purchased a VIP package(99$ for 10 hrs internet,a cell phone,butler service,bottle of champagne,breakfast in bed + more).I'm not so sure it was worth it but I have to admit that our butler Wilson was always there when we needed him.

Unless you want to pay 200$ for doctor visit and medicine I strongly advise you to wear a hat all the time while you're outside.It's so easy to forget to put your sunblock or hat on but my fiance paid not only $200 but also 3 days of vacation due to a very bad sunstroke.

There were few factors that made our stay very enjoyable.One of them was definitely Entertainment Team Member-Ruskin.His positive attitude towards his job,his sense of humor and great personality makes him a great asset to the resort and he is one of the reasons we want to come back!

I knew this review was going to be long,I didn't expect it that long though.Hope I didn't bore you!I was in your shoes few weeks ago so I know how excited you are to go on holiday.Enjoy it and do yourself a favour - stay at Dreams Palm Beach!Seriously!

El Polacos-Ewelina & Dawid

2  Thank Kivunia
Management-Palmbeach, Public Relations Manager at Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

Please receive the warmest greetings from sunny Dreams Palm Beach. We would like to take the opportunity to thank you for having chosen us as your Dream home away from home; thank you for such amazing and encouraging review. It is very satisfying to learn that we managed to fulfill your expectations and that you have no doubts in vacationing with us again.

Thank you for your recognition towards our staff, they are the real heroes here, the ones who give their all to bring smiles upon our guests’ faces and make them happy.

Please know it was a pleasure to have taken care of you. On behalf of all our Dreams staff, we look forward to welcome you to our home away from home.

Warm regards,

operaciones.drepb@dreamsresorts.com

Write a ReviewReviews (10,741)

Reviewed May 6, 2013

This was our first trip to Dreams Palm Beach and we were very pleased with the resort. The staff were much friendlier than we had experienced on other Dominican trips, which made you feel much more relaxed. We were greeted with cool towels and champagne which was a nice treat. The pool and beach were beautiful and there was always space available to find loungers at either. Excursions were booked daily by special staff and were available right from the the resort. No long bus rides to go on a boat cruise.
The resort was a nice size- not too big so everything was close at hand. There is a market just outside the resort also which provided the opportunity to purchase souvenirs any day of the week, which was nice. We were there with a large group for a wedding. The wedding was beautiful and the wedding coordinator was on hand the entire time making sure everything went to plan.
A few negative comments- we had the standard garden view room, which was fine. We were in building 9 which is at the back of the resort and at times you could smell a faint sewage smell in that area. It was nothing drastic, but if I was returning I would request buildings 7 or lower.
We did have some problems with the safe not working properly and the fridge did not work well.
Food was good overall. Japanese restaurant was awesome and the beach hut lunch was excellent (thank you Freddie number one!). The buffet was mediocre, but the rest of the experience totally made up for any food complaints.
Special thanks to the following people that made our experience very memorable:
Johan at the swim up bar went out of his way to keep us well hydrated with his excellent mixology skills. George Luis serving in the pool area was very friendly and always joking. Finally, Christian at the lobby bar was also wonderful.
I would definitely recommend Dreams Palm Beach to anyone considering Punta Cana as a destination.

Room Tip: Recommend buildings 7 or lower
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Amazing hotel with a wonderful welcoming. Just returned from an 11 days/10 nights stay here, we arrived late Saturday night and had a quick check-in. We had a deluxe double room tropical view-building 5, the view was breathtaking.
It was a perfect experience. They have set their standards very high. Food, breakfast, friendly service, cleanness, rooms, everything. Also the location was perfect, right there on the beach.
In addition all the outstanding amenities including the food, the shows, the well-appointed rooms and the hotel decor, it was the staff which made this trip so special. They all work so hard and are all so lovely.
Of particular note was Pedro Tomas, General Manager who is by far the best resort managers we have met.
I cannot praise this resort enough; we had the best time and would unquestionably recommend to anyone.

1  Thank laura n

Dear Guest,

Receive warm greetings from sunny and warm Dreams Palm Beach. We are extremely overwhelmed with happiness to read such an amazing review. Thank you very much for choosing us as your vacation home in Punta Cana, it was more than an honor to have served you.

We feel flattered to learn that we were able to surpass your expectations and that you enjoyed all aspects of the hotel. Thank you for recognition towards our hard working staff, it is very satisfying to read they made your vacation so much better.

On behalf of Mr. Pedro Tomas and all our Dreams staff, thank you for giving us the chance to pamper you. We hope this is the first of many more vacations at Dreams Palm Beach.

Best regards,

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Recently stayed for a wedding and they did an excellent job organizing the event for the bride and groom. Their customer service was excellent.

It is hard to expect everything at every hotel to be perfect. Mistakes can happen and its important to know that a resort's management is willing to fix the problem. After a recent stay with some minor hiccups, all was made better by Pedro T. and Katlin K. These two became aware of my issues and got everything fixed without question. It is nice to be treated like a friend and not just a number in a room.

The restaurants are excellent and unlike most resorts, they take reservations and it isn't impossible to get into. With our large group, they allowed us to walk up and put our name on the list and gave us a buzzer. While the ladies were getting ready, us men would head to the bar and get a few drinks. By the time the ladies arrived, we would have one more drink and our table would be ready. Nice that the reservation restaurants allow walk-ins.

Other tips:
-My Verizon iPhone with a global plan worked perfectly. Even could steam my favorite baseball games on it
- 30 Dollars each way from the airport to the hotel
- Large resort and even at full capacity, we were still able to find chairs halfway through the day
- Did the excursion out to the "hut" a mile of so off the shore for about 120 each. This was fun to swim with sharks and devil rays. Enjoyed the 3-4 hours out there.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the preferred club with views of the ocean. Rooms are WAY better.
1  Thank Robert W
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Just got back from the Dreams Palm Beach in Punta Cana Dominican Republic EXCELLENTE!!!!!!!!!!!! Chris (big Papi) & Betsy,
We, Chris (big Papi) & Betsy, upgraded to the Preferred Club & had the most amazing time we had so much fun & really enjoyed celebrating our 10th anniversary that we didn’t want to leave & I cried when we were leaving because I had to say good bye to our new family . We hung out at our cabana on the beach every day & were waited on by the staff who were amazing no matter who you came into contact with. We want to send out a special THANK YOU to our extended family there; Vangie & Alexandra who made our stay personal & special, & making us feel like her favorite guests, along with the entire preferred club girls. Thanks to Ray, Felix & the entire staff at the Sea Side Grill who took care of us. To Wilkin who made our anniversary dinner at Portofino so special. Jenny who made me so relax at the spa I almost fell asleep & Roseanna for making our room nice, along with Angel, Joel & Juan taking care of us on the beach, the entertainment team Cuchy & Rankin who got us to play games & the Spanish lesson I got (I will practice). A very special THANK YOU to German we will miss you very much, you took such GREAT care of us & went beyond that, you are an asset & we can’t wait to see you again when we come back

1  Thank cmiller2013

Dear Guest,

Please receive the warmest greetings from Dreams Palm Beach. We feel so honored to have been chosen by you for this past vacation as your home away from home in Punta Cana. Thank you for taking a moment of your precious time to share your experiences with others through this forum, as this helps others know what to expect when vacationing with us.

We are thrilled to read that we were able to take good care of you, and that we managed to make this trip a very special one for you.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you home and make the next stay even more special. See you really soon!

Kindest regards,

Reviewed May 5, 2013

The overall vacation experience was great, staff was extraordinary and the friendliest I have seen. The room however had some issues; the glass rail in the patio was loose and a major safety issue for my children , the fridge did not work and neither did the DVD player. All 3 of these issues were addressed but I would not recommend unpacking until you are sure the room is appropriately checked, the A/C in the room was poor and if you have children do not stay in the third floor.
The entire staff will go above and beyond, especially Wilkins and Frances from the Portofino restaurant and Christian from the main lobby bar, Thank you for the great service.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We just returned from Dreams Palm Beach, being there the week of April 29th. This was our first time at this resort, but we had previously spent a week at Dreams Punta Cana.
We found this hotel to be just as excellent as the other Dreams resort. It's a nice size, @530 rooms. Not too big like some other resorts we've stayed at. The place is immaculate, the staff could not be more friendly and accommodating, and the food is beyond excellent. We were also fortunate, in that the weather was very cooperative. Since May has been said to be the "rainy" month, we escaped with two occasions of rain, both during the night.
From a personal preference standpoint, the beach was somewhat less than desirable. Since we are both slightly older, late 60's, we found the beach to be difficult walking. In four previous visits to Punta Cana, each at a different resort, the beaches at each and every one of those resorts invited unlimited walking; flat, wide beaches with no obstructions or hindrances. The beach here at Dreams Palm Beach is considerably more narrow and quite obviously experiencing severe beach erosion, evidenced by the dead palm trees 15-20 feet out in the water. And walking in a southeast direction, you soon encounter a wall which you have to circumnavigate by walking a block down a street before regaining the beach.
Before leaving for our trip, I had requested a room NOT on the ground floor. We were put on the third floor, overlooking the pool. Great room, nice view, and I was told it would be quiet. Not quite. There was music every evening, lasting usually til 10:30-11:00 P.M. Right at the pool! Not exactly my idea of quiet.
Each of the the restaurants where we ate were absolutely first rate, excellent. Food was fabulous, wait staff beyond reproach, fantastic service, friendly, accommodating, any superlative you can think of; especially, for us, the French restaurant, Bordeaux. Our favorite, and was at the other Dreams as well. We ate at this Bordeaux 3 times out of the 7 nights. Can't say enough about the staff, especially the manager, Prefecto. We usually had the surf & turf; the filet could be cut with a fork! We also ate 2 nights at the Seaside Grille. Equally good, with a nice view overlooking the ocean. One night we ate at the Japanese restaurant. Also excellent, with a lot of food, great presentation by the chef. The 7th night was on the beach, hosted by Apple Vacations. Lobster, steak, you name it. Outstanding!.
Bottom line? Would I go back to this resort? Probably not, but only, and I stress only because of our perception of the beach. The resort itself is beautiful as I previously stated. One other thing I would point out is the "credits" we received as part of the package. We got $400.00 in credits to be used at the hotel for various services. We obviously did not understand completely how these credits could be used. We assume that we could each get a nice massage "for free". Not so. Turns out you could only deduct $40.00 from a massage. A 50-minute Swedish massage costs $124.00, so it would still cost us $84.00 each. All of the $200.00/person credit was broken down in varying amounts for various services; $10.00 off wine, $20.00 off a romantic dinner, so much off for facials, etc. I would not call this a rip-off, but I do think it's somewhat misleading, or a come-on, when you read the ads.
Be careful also of some of the additional excursions. We booked the excursion to Saona Island. The destination, Saona Island is remarkably beautiful, but the getting there is somewhat taxing. Again, for people of our age. For younger people, no issue, I'm sure. We were picked up at the hotel lobby in a mini van, drove 10 minutes onto the highway, and pulled over. The driver spoke no English, so we had no idea what was going on. Turns out, we waited there for almost a half hour for a larger bus with passengers from other hotels. Then onto Bayahibe to get the boat. We went out on a speedboat, stopping to see the starfish in shallow water along the way. Very nice. On to Saona Island, where we spent roughly 3 hours. Lunch was - not memorable. Coming back, we took the catamaran. But one got on the speedboat first to get to the catamaran. Once back at Bayahibe, we had to transfer back to the speedboat to get to the beach. For us, that's the snag; all the climbing from boat to boat. Not a problem for younger people, but a bit of an issue for us.
The overall trip to Punta Cana was absolutely wonderful, as it has been the previous 4 times, and we look forward to going back again. And a real good chance it will be to a Dreams resort again.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the pool area are quieter. If you don't care for steps, ask for ground or second...
2  Thank Double O