“Awful”

Ranked #43 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
New York City
“Awful”
Reviewed August 20, 2007

This was my worst vacation ever. I have traveled to the caribbean many times and this was the worst. This was so bad,we were originally scheduled to stay 4 nights, but were so disgusted, we checked out the very next day and went to the Riu Palace Punta Cana instead (not much better). Furthermore, I have never written a review, good or bad; but after this experience, I felt compelled for the first time to do so. Here we go:

FRONT DESK: No one speaks English. At a 4/5 star hotel you would expect for the “key” employees (front desk, bartenders, etc) who have the most contact with the guests should at least be bilingual. Even asking for basic things was very difficult. You either never received what you requested or it took at least 3 tries for them to understand that the telephone in your room is working. The key to the room and safe were “actual keys”, so you were forced to walk around the entire resort everyday with 2 keys and the key for the safe actually had a string attached as if you wanted to walk around with a key around your neck.

RESORT: old, smelly, extremely out-dated. The elevator can only fit 2 people at a time. The ceiling of the elevator was only about 5’9” and it was very bumpy. We decided to take the stairs instead.

DRINKS: Not at all top shelf and the choices were limited.

AMBIENCE/ATMOSPHERE: There were no atmosphere and ambience what so ever. The lobby area and bar areas didn't even play soft background music. If it wasn't for the spanish speaking staff and the beach, I wouldn't have known I was in the caribbean.

ROOM: DISGUSTING odor EXTREMELY outdated. Very old furniture, hard mattresses, plastic feeling sheets. Upon check-in, we discovered our telephone and television weren’t working. It took 4 walks back and forth to the front and 24 hours for our telephone to get fixed. As we were checking out the next day, they were arriving to our room with a replacement television.

FOOD: Disgusting. Upon check-in, we asked the front desk if we should reserve a table as we were told the dining room will assign you the same table for dinner each night. We were told by the front desk that we can sit anywhere and no need to reserve a table. So, we go to dinner and were seated. Once our drink orders were taken we proceed to get some “disgusting” food from the buffet. As we approached our table with our plates, we find someone sitting in our seats and our belongings had been changed to a different table. We were told by the couple who were in our seats (because the waiter was unable to explain) that they were assigned to that table. Did we not ask the front desk if we should reserve a table?

ENTERTAINMENT/ACTIVITIES: There is absolutely NOTHING to do in the evenings.

RESULT: We were so disgusted by everything, we checked out of the Macao the very next day and checked into the Riu Palace Punta Cana (not much better)

OVERALL: The worst vacation I have EVER been on. Definitely not 4 star. 2 star at best. These travel companies, example, Liberty Travel really need to reevaluate their rating for this hotel because it is FAR from 4 star status for MANY reasons.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
7 Thank NikkiDLite_7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (764)
  • Polish first
nj
Reviewed August 17, 2007

We just returned from a wonderful week-long stay at the RIU Palace Macao. We arrived early last Friday after an easy morning of travel. An Apple Vacations van picked us up from the airport and the drive to the resort was about 40 minutes. There are five all-inclusive RIU hotels confined within the gated resort area so there is never a time when you do not feel safe. Two members of our party ventured outside of the gate one morning and there is really nothing there so I recommend just enjoying all that there is to offer on the inside.

Let me first begin by commenting on the food because there is a lot of it. The food and service was exceptional. The breakfast and dinner buffet at "El Patio" has pretty much any kind of food you could imagine. The fresh fruit and variety of cheeses are muy deliciosos. Lunch is a little more limited. As Palace Macao guests we were lucky because you could eat at all of the surrounding RIUs for breakfast and lunch except for the new Palace Punta Cana. Making reservations for some of the specialty restaurants is a little difficult. Like a previous poster said, the specialty restaurants fill up rather quickly. The buffet is just as good as any, however. Three members of our party went to the Japanese restaurant and the consensus was that the chicken was good but pretty much everything there could have been found at the buffet. The Japanese restuarant or Kabuki waiters even walk into the buffet's kitchen to retrieve the food. Also, take note of the presentation of food. It is quite remarkable to see how intricately designed each piece is.

The beach was great. The water was an ideal temperature that felt a little cool upon entering but very comfortable after floating for a little while. The time there really flies by. It is easy to find available chairs and cushions are available to make you even more comfortable (if that is possible). If the sun gets too intense for you, there are plenty of palm trees that provide the ultimate shade, quite convenient for reading a book and relaxing. While lying on the beach, take note of the action taking place in the water. Parasailers, kayakers, paddle boats, catamarans, and even this strange looking boat that flies, all pass by continuously. We even saw a pelican flying around the beach two days in a row. Many of the water sports are available for no fee so take advantage of them. There are also intense volleyball games that take place several times throughout the day for the competitive guests.

If for some reason the beach does not keep you occupied, many people sit around the pool. The pool is nice and wide but I feel as though some of the neighboring hotels have nicer pools. If possible, make the short walk to the bamboo or other neighboring hotels to check out the swim-up bar. Nonetheless, water aerobics and pool games will keep you entertained while at the other pools or the one at the Palace Macao.

The night entertainment is also wonderful. There is a show every night at about ten o'clock. The Michael Jackson one was a favorite of ours. One night they had a carnival on the Caribbean Street, which is just a short walk from the Palace. There is also a casino which is fun and a discoteca, which we did not go to.

The room is the only portion of the vacation that we could find fault with. It was ready when we arrived on Friday, which was before noon, and they even told us that we had received an upgrade and that we were now facing the pool. I think that some manipulation was taking place. Our room was situated on the top floor of the building, and pretty much every room has the same view. We realized that our a/c was not working the first day and the front desk was very friendly about sending a mechanic up to check it out. The mechanic came to our room and appeared to be doing some maintenance work and told us that it would work now but it never functioned properly for the whole week we were there. Several people on our level did not have air either and most relocated to another room because it was so hot at night. Advice: if you are on the 3rd floor (4th including the lobby) and your air is not working, asked to be switched immediately. They do have air, but apparently not in many of the rooms of the 4th level. Additionally, the water basically just plops out of the shower. In other words, there is not really much water pressure, in our room anyways. The door to our refrigerator also fell off several times. Although these may seem like minor flaws, we felt that they collectively made for a less than 6 golden star rating.

Other words of advice:
-do not tip until the end of the week
-bring a lot of ones because they are very useful for tip money and it is hard if not impossible to get american dollars once you run out. You will receive pesos (100 pesos= about 3 american dollars).
-do not forget to pack long pants if you are a male because they are required for dinner
-come with some knowledge of the spanish language. Atleast know the basics (please-por favor, thanks- gracias, more-mas, no more, eso es todo or no mas, por favor, etc.)
-make use of the path near the beach to check out the neighboring hotels. The lobby of the Punta Cana RIU is pretty spectacular so take the short walk to the left and right of the Palace to see the other hotels.
-enjoy your stay; the week truly does fly by so make the most of it!!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
10 Thank katierunxc1
Philadelphia
Reviewed August 17, 2007

Arrival: We had no problems with the front desk and were quickly escorted to our rooms without incident.

Rooms: Overall, they were average, or maybe a bit below average. I was a little disappointed that our room did not have a king sized bed. It had two fulls pushed together. The sheets did not fit and always seemed to slide off of the mattress. The room was cool enough and we had no problems with the air conditioning. My biggest complaint was the shower. They are very small and the curtain seemed to attack you as you were bathing. Quite disgusting considering that I doubt they clean them often. Another problem that we had was the hot water. It seemed to change temperature five-six times while taking a shower. It was too hot, then too cold, etc.

Minibar: Diet pepsi, pepsi, orange soda, mineral water, and a gallon of water...filled occasionally. I am a big diet soda drinker and during the whole week, I pretty much had what I wanted 5/7 days. They also have four bottles of alcohol attached to the wall so you could make your own drinks but we didn't bother.

Roomservice: Don't order the nachos (stale) or the club sandwich, that's all I have to say about that. They were both disgusting!

Restaurants: This was my absolute biggest complaint. Breakfast was good. They have typical American fare and some Dominican cuisine. The fresh fruit juice is amazing. The only option available is the buffet and it is the same every day.
Lunch was HORRIBLE!!! The only option available yet again is buffet. I don't mind it for breakfast, but it gets annoying around lunchtime. They also have the same thing everyday. This is basically pizza (not bad), fries (OK), burgers (disgusting!!!), hotdogs, fruit, bread, and different types of pasta/seafood salads. I attempted to make my own salad one day but they really only have lettuce and tomato slices for a salad. The only option for dressing was thousand island. Basically, it stunk. AND, there was only one restaurant open. I absolutely hated lunch and we ended up skipping it.
Dinner was good. The buffet has a lot of options for everyone, and we ended up eating there twice, enjoying it both times. They have a pasta station, and different meats. The menu changes slightly every night, which is nice. Steakhouse was good and I was delighted to discover that they actually had Caesar salads that were quite good. My husband and I don't do Japanese and the Italian restaurant only had dishes with cream sauce or seafood (my husband doesn't eat either). Basically, if you are on a diet don't eat here. Everything that I ate was cooked in grease or butter. Be prepared to be hot since men are required to wear pants.

Pool: Never hard to find a chair, well maintained, and beautiful. No swim up bar and the bathrooms are a bit of a hike (they are towards the back of the pool bar).

Beach: Beautiful. A bit of sea grass but overall it was gorgeous.

Bars: Best bar was the main lobby. Drinks are really good. I am not into top shelf liquor, so that didn't bother me. The frozen drinks made up for it and were delicious. They also have salted peanuts as a snack. Try the Mama Juana. It's a Dominican run that is awesome sipped alone. Yovanney is the best bartender.

Excursions: Don't do Bavaro splash or the catamarans (three hour bus drive from hotel, they don't tell you that). We attempted to go to a Dominican restaurant called Jellyfish. Paul in the main lobby suggested another restaurant called Langosta Caribe. I said that this was fine with me. After a 20$ cab ride, it was closed. I was NOT happy!!! We ended up paying another $20 to get to Jellyfish, and $20 for the return home.

Casino: Very SMALL.

Overall, it wasn't bad for the price we paid. I tend to focus on the negative because it's just there. We had a nice time on the vacation and the staff was very nice. I really think Paul made an honest mistake. The worst part for me was the whole 3 buffets a day. I just can't deal with that!

Stayed August 2007
4 Thank FunVACALori
Va.
Reviewed August 13, 2007

My husband and I just got back from staying at the Riu Palace Macao Punta Cana. After reading some of the reviews, I was a little anxious about our vacation. However, I have to say that we had a great time! The hotel is beautiful, the service is fantastic and the food and drinks were great!
Airport- When you get inside the airport in Punta Cana, you are charged a 10 dollar fee to enter the country. Be sure and have exact change. I had read on this website that the airport restroom was filthy so I was a little nervous about using it. The restroom was clean. After getting our luggage, several men offered to drive us to our hotel. If you have already arranged transportation to the hotel, bypass these people and look for the kiosk that has the name of your transportation on it. Although the hotel is only 18 miles from the airport, it took us about 40 minutes to get there because there were other people on our bus that needed to be dropped off and there are also a lot of speed bumps that slow the driver down.
Room-When we got to the Riu Palace, I asked for a room overlooking the pool. We were on the first level once you get on the elevator. Our room had a balcony and a gorgeous view. Our room did not have the musty smell that some people complain about. I had brought candles and room freshener because of the complaints that I had read but didn't need to use any of them. Our bed was also very comfortable. We had 2 queen beds that were pushed together. It was very clean, comfortable and like I said, a great view!
Food- I can't understand why some people complain about the food! I am a very picky eater. My husband and I ate at the buffet every night but one. There are so many choices- salads, beef, chicken, seafood, any kind of sidedish, desserts, etc. The food was fantastic! My husband had various types of fish, chicken, beef, etc. He and I also had fresh pasta that they cooked right there for you with your choice of sauce. I had beef tenderloin, chicken stir fry, steak wrapped in bacon, etc. The side dishes varied from night to night. The meat was very tasty and well cooked. The morning buffet included all kinds of pastries, french toast, fresh omelets made to order (by Marvin).The dining room reminded me of a cruise dining room. It was decorated with fancy fruit decorations and the waiters wear a tie and jacket. The night that we didn't eat at the buffet we ate at the steak restaurant. My husband and I had a delicious meal there as well. You do need to make reservations in the morning at the podium inside the buffet restaurant if you want to eat at one of the other restaurants.
Service-The service at the hotel was wonderful. In the dining room, at the buffet, you sit at the same table every night. We had a fantastic waiter named Villy. He made sure our wine glass, water glass, etc was always full. Like I said, the service was wonderful everywhere at the hotel. We even received two phone calls from the front desk asking us how our stay was going and if we needed anything. The people at the bar and in the restaurants are so nice and aim to please. We took the advice of another person who wrote a review and brought with us one hundred one dollar bills. We tipped often in the dining room, at the bar and left tips for the lady who cleaned our room. I also brought some little gifts to give to the lady cleaning our room. I know you don't have to tip but we were told that the people working in the resorts only make around 5-7 dollars a day. When we tipped, they were SO appreciative! For the most part, the people who run the front desk, wait on tables and work at the bar, they speak pretty good English. Only the lady who cleaned our room spoke no English.
Entertainment-The entertainment at the Palace was somewhat boring. We watched a show and some dancing. The third night, we walked down to the Bambu hotel. There is a sidewalk behind the hotel that runs parallel with the beach that you can walk on to get you to all of the other hotels. The entire hotel complex is gated so it is very safe. At the Bambu, we sat at the bar and watched the show. It is a lot more lively and a lot more fun. They have a menu with about 15 different specialty drinks to choose from or you can pick something else. They also make fresh mojitos. We spent the rest of the nights at the Bambu for entertainment. We had a great time with the waiters at the Bambu bar as well. During the day, we went to the Bambu to enjoy the swim up pool bar. We never did check out the other hotels because we were perfectly content with what the Palace and Bambu had to offer.
Beach-The beach was very nice. The water was warm and had lots of waves. The sand was very smooth and not rocky. Again, because of the reviews on here, I was concerned about not getting a chair on the beach. My husband and I got out on the beach around 10:00 every morning and there were plenty of chairs.The chairs are everywhere for miles down the beach. There also some topless women on the beach.
Casino- The casino is small. There are two blackjack tables, one roulette table, one carribean poker table and a few other tables. There are around 30 slot machines. They are old machines that only take quarter tokens. I had some luck on a nickel machine called "Aladdin" that was located to the left when you walk in. I won about 300.00 on it.
Finally, our vacation at the Riu Palace Macao was fantastic. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
18 Thank livinlife565
Chicago, IL
Reviewed August 12, 2007

LOVED IT!

The scale of the resort was perfect. We just had a short walk to the beach and the pool. (we walked over to the Palace Punta Cana and noticed that while it was beautiful, it was also HUGE, and it looked like unless you had an ocean view room, you had a long walk to the pool and an even longer trek to the beach).

The food was great (and I'm happy to report that no one in our group of 12 got sick). The buffet was comparable with what we've had in vegas or at the local casino. The sit down restaurants were decent too... the poolside ones got a little buggy at nite. The ocean front restaurant was fantastic, though. We were there for 7 nights and the food was great the whole time.

The room was nice and clean. Housekeeping was great... although sounds like we had superior service, while others in our group had only ok. We had nightly turn down and flowers and a never ending minibar, but other rooms in our group mentioned that their liquor dispensers were empty for a day or two and most of the group never had turn down. Thought that was kind of odd... but they also said they never bothered to call the front desk to let them know and they frequently kept their "do not disturb" tag on the door.

Loved the pool, loved the beach - all the palm trees were great!

Went on the horseback riding excursion. This was a lot of fun... although, I was a little surprised that they allowed riders to do a full gallop on beach with only minimal instruction.

Also did the parasailing excursion. The experience itself was great - it was my first time... but the staff that handled this excursion was not very friendly and snapped at us a couple of times. They also never provided the pics we ordered, which was a great disappointment, because, to our dismay, they took us so far up the beach for the excursion that nobody from our group was able to take any photos of us. Anyway, our treatment with this excursion, caused us to not go through with any of our plans for other water excursions.

• Liked — The pool and beach were both just a stone's throw from our room!
  • Disliked — Could use more shade or sprinklers or something to keep the pool deck from burning feet :)
12 Thank Loonybat
Brampton
Reviewed August 11, 2007

I had an absoultely wonderful time when I went to the Riu Palace Macao! I would really recommend it to everyone! The hotel is beautiful and has everything that you would need!

AIRPORT: Getting there was fine, but leaving another story! Took longer to get to the airport because of the traffic. They made us wait in the bus for almost 30 mins, so that the bus driver's baggage carrier friends could take our stuff to the departure desk which was only a 1 minute walk away! People on the bus got pissed and demanded to get off. You are expected to tip well if they take your bags. They are very determined to carry your bag.

ROOM: The room was very good. Had a small fridge with water and pop. There was a drink dispenser in the wall, tv, small hair dryer, A/C (worked well). There were two huge beds put together and two arm chairs and a table. My boyfriend ordered room service every night. They had a small but good menu. I think food could be ordered until 11. Large closet and safe. Don't leave money out as the maid will take it for tip. LOL I recommend small tips each day, as the people that work at the resort alternate shifts.

MEDICAL FACILITY: There is a doctor and pharmacy at the Caribbean Street. The Pharmacist didn't speak very good english, but still gave me the correct prescription.

POOL: The pool is nice as well, but I preferred the Riu Bamboo pool because it was more lively and had a swim up bar and waterfall. You can always visit the other hotels pools. But the Riu Macao had a nice "hot tub". It was hidden inside trees like a canopy. The water really wasn't warm though. The only thing I didn't like was that you couldn't swim at night.

FOOD: The food was excellent. They had special meal nights and also different events going on everyday. They also had four restaurants for dinner. You must make reservations early (for the specialty restaurants) and I think you can book a few days in advance. The buffet is always available. The grill closest to the pool got really hot at dinner time because of the temperature and cooking inside. My boyfriend felt too hot also b/c he had to wear pants. The drinks are good. They had a lot of variety.

THINGS TO DO: Make sure to visit Caribbean Street and if you walk towards Riu Naiboa, there are some shops there that you can get some really great deals. It's a little sketchy. I found the resort to be nice and comfortable. Riu Palace Punta Cana was worth taking a look at, but was so fancy I felt I needed to dress up if I stayed there. I went to the Animal Adventure Park. Make sure you ask the events planner. They never mentioned anything about it during the excursions lecture. They had a booth at Riu Bamboo. Was worth going as you could swim with the sea lions, play with monkeys, watch a bird show, swim with nurse sharks, pet a baby lion, star fish and sea cucumbers. The drive to get there takes about 1 hour and was really bumpy. The facility was nice. They take your picture at the various places and you have the option to pay for the expensive pics. Bring your camera! Some extra fees to swim with sea lions and nurse sharks as well. Some other people I have talked to recommended the catamaran trip to this island near by. Perhaps look into that.

BEACH: The beach is wonderful! Nice white sand and clear water! Excellent! Much better than Puerto Plata.

PRICE: I booked my trip around One and a half to two months prior and the trip was $1100 CAD pp with tax and ins. So I thought a fairly decent price. I am looking forward to going to Riu Place Arruba. I would like to stay at the other Riu resorts.

• Liked — beach, food and cleanliness
  • Disliked — seemed like the hotel needed updating (decor, keys instead of cards)
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank vanessad678
hangthedj26
Reviewed August 6, 2007

First off, this hotel is NOT 24 hours all inclusive. Once the restaurants close and room service ends at 11, there's nothing to eat but mystery meat hot dogs and hamburgers that sit out by the pool until 2 am. There is a huge communication barrier because the resort caters mostly to European tourists. The beach is basically a topless beach, so this isn't really a family resort. The staff for the most part is not really helpful, and are downright rude at times.

Food: The buffet was somewhat edible. I'm not that much of a snob and went with 5 guys who basically will eat anything, and we were forced to subsist on french fries and sub-par pasta. The meats were always questionable, and the room service was inedible, sandwiches and stale nachos (stale tortilla chips with cold cheeze whiz). The reservation system was annoying too. If you didn't make your reservations between 7-10 am that day, you were stuck with the buffet. Even if you went to make reservations, by 9 am most restaurants are full.

Grounds: The hotel itself is pretty to look at and the beach is incredible, but the service and the food were so lacking that its not really worth it.

Drinks: Awful. There was rarely blended ice in the mixed drinks. Stick to beer and rum and cokes.

Excursions: DO NOT book excursions with the "hotel beds" representative (MAYA) located in the front lobby of the hotel. We went on this Laguna de limon tour which costed 100 dollars per person. We were promised a scenic drive up a mountain, a swimming at untouched beaches, cigar rolling and lobsters. Fine, the mountain view was nice, but the beach was far from untouched (the hotel beach wa much nicer). There was styrofoam and cups everywhere. We were forced to spend about an hour or two in gift shops. The tour guide did not give any information on any of the sights, the lobster was cooked at least a day before and was inedible, and they claimed that a group of 5 could only roll 2 cigars. We paid 100 dollars so that each of us could roll a cigar. The worst however was being forced to watch a cockfight. This was not included in the brochure and when we went back to confront the Hotel Beds rep about it, all Maya could say was, "but there was no blood". I can understand if it was in the brochure or explained to us before going on the tour. Aside from my personal feelings about animal cruelty, I don't like paying for things or being subjected to things that were not advertised in the brochure. And guess what?! There was blood. There was a bloodied featherless chicken getting its butt kicked (not my idea of an excursion).

Additional things that can't be categorized include: the one towel per day rule; the maids coming into your rooms at all times of the day and/or night, even if the do not disturb sign was up. The room constatly smelled like mildew and the maids would turn all the power off everyday. Sucks when you have an alarm clock that has to be reset every two hours.

Please spend your money elsewhere. Go to Mexico, go to Jamaica, go to the Bahamas, or the Virgin islands or Aruba. I will never return to the DR again, ever.

• Liked — the beach
  • Disliked — the hotel
3 Thank hangthedj26
#53 of 111 in Punta Cana
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#88 of 111 in Punta Cana

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Macao? Share your experiences!