This was my worst vacation ever. I have traveled to the caribbean many times and this was the worst. This was so bad,we were originally scheduled to stay 4 nights, but were so disgusted, we checked out the very next day and went to the Riu Palace Punta Cana instead (not much better). Furthermore, I have never written a review, good or bad; but after this experience, I felt compelled for the first time to do so. Here we go:
FRONT DESK: No one speaks English. At a 4/5 star hotel you would expect for the “key” employees (front desk, bartenders, etc) who have the most contact with the guests should at least be bilingual. Even asking for basic things was very difficult. You either never received what you requested or it took at least 3 tries for them to understand that the telephone in your room is working. The key to the room and safe were “actual keys”, so you were forced to walk around the entire resort everyday with 2 keys and the key for the safe actually had a string attached as if you wanted to walk around with a key around your neck.
RESORT: old, smelly, extremely out-dated. The elevator can only fit 2 people at a time. The ceiling of the elevator was only about 5’9” and it was very bumpy. We decided to take the stairs instead.
DRINKS: Not at all top shelf and the choices were limited.
AMBIENCE/ATMOSPHERE: There were no atmosphere and ambience what so ever. The lobby area and bar areas didn't even play soft background music. If it wasn't for the spanish speaking staff and the beach, I wouldn't have known I was in the caribbean.
ROOM: DISGUSTING odor EXTREMELY outdated. Very old furniture, hard mattresses, plastic feeling sheets. Upon check-in, we discovered our telephone and television weren’t working. It took 4 walks back and forth to the front and 24 hours for our telephone to get fixed. As we were checking out the next day, they were arriving to our room with a replacement television.
FOOD: Disgusting. Upon check-in, we asked the front desk if we should reserve a table as we were told the dining room will assign you the same table for dinner each night. We were told by the front desk that we can sit anywhere and no need to reserve a table. So, we go to dinner and were seated. Once our drink orders were taken we proceed to get some “disgusting” food from the buffet. As we approached our table with our plates, we find someone sitting in our seats and our belongings had been changed to a different table. We were told by the couple who were in our seats (because the waiter was unable to explain) that they were assigned to that table. Did we not ask the front desk if we should reserve a table?
ENTERTAINMENT/ACTIVITIES: There is absolutely NOTHING to do in the evenings.
RESULT: We were so disgusted by everything, we checked out of the Macao the very next day and checked into the Riu Palace Punta Cana (not much better)
OVERALL: The worst vacation I have EVER been on. Definitely not 4 star. 2 star at best. These travel companies, example, Liberty Travel really need to reevaluate their rating for this hotel because it is FAR from 4 star status for MANY reasons.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on Arena Gorda Beach in Punta Cana. * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach. * Within the Riu Resort, along with the Riu Palace Punta Cana, Riu Palace Bavaro, Riu Naiboa and the ClubHotel Riu Bambu. * The Splash Water World will be opened from 1st November 2016 * 3-storey building. Colonial style architecture. * Surrounded by 30,000 m2 / 36,000 sq. yards of palm groves alongside the beach. 50 km / 31 miles from Higey. 200 m / 660 ft. from Caribbean Street. 30 km / 19 miles from Punta Cana Int'l. Airport. * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Macao reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Macao Hotel Punta Cana
- Riu Palace Macao Punta Cana
- Riu Palace Punta Cana
- Rui Palace Punta Cana