“We loved it!!!”

Ranked #44 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Buenos Aires
“We loved it!!!”
Reviewed May 1, 2007

We had an amazing honeymoon at RIU Palace Macao. The size of the hotel is great!! Everything is close and you don´t have long walk.

Rooms were very comfortable they are big and clean.
Food is good, not waw, but they make an effort. As I´m a vegetarian I didn´t have too many options. Forget about the Japanese restaurant, it is awfull!!! The worst sushi ever...
Entertainment is amazing, we loved the shows! We did almost all the activities from ping pong to aqua gym. They really make your stay fun.

Just remember to tip everybody....

6 Thank Daliada

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (762)
  • Polish first
Kville, IL
Reviewed April 30, 2007

My husband and I and 2 other couples went to the RIU Macao, to celebrate our 25th anniversary. What a great time we had!! There really isn't anything bad to say. But we did not understand their sitting times at dinner too well, as we tried the ala carte resturants and we never ate at the same time. That was the only real problem we had.
The rooms were kept really clean. If you needed anything all you had to do was call, as between the 3 rooms we had, we could easily
drink the beer that they had stocked in the frig. As we had our own happy hours in the rooms.
The beach was beautiful, the water was gorgeous. We always were able to get 6 lounges every morning. And the beach bar was not far away. The drinks were good, especially the coco loco. A have to try drink.
We also went on 2 excursions, that were so much fun.
We are totally going back sometime and will stay at the Macao again, as the staff and all the entertainment guys(Puff Daddy, Jesus, and Johnny Bravo) we all so fun and got you involved even if you didn't want to.
You will not regret your stay here!

• Liked — everyone friendly
  • Disliked — men having to wear pants at dinner
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
6 Thank trows
abbotsford.b.c
Reviewed April 27, 2007

My parents,Husband , son and I , Went April 4th to 18th for a wonderful two weeks, We were unsure what to expect, since we had never travelled to the Dominican before. Had read all the reviews and were a bit apprehensive about some of the negative comments people had made. There must be some really picky people out there!!! We honestly couldn't find anything to complain about!!! The Beaches are to Die for!! The People are the most beautiful we have ever met and seen. and the food was great! Even being there two weeks, you could always find something yummy to eat. Checkin was easy and even when are room leaked, Widney&Luis (fabulous Men) upgraded us to a room facing the pool!!! Try to ask for 2nd or 3rd floor rooms , since bottom floor rooms are a bit musty smelling ,(mind you it is a tropical country)
We checked out the Palace Punta Cana, next door, It was beautiful, but a liitle impersonal. We have been to the Palace in the Mayan Riviera and found that we are now officially hooked on the Riu's!!!!! Sandy Abbotsford B.C.
ps will try to send photo's when can!!

• Liked — clean,Beautiful Beaches,friendly people and lots of fun
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank sansat
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed April 27, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the RIU Palace Macao from April 20 through 27, 2007. Despite some bad weather, including several days with periods of torrential downpours, we had a good holiday. We loved the gracious and elegant Spanish colonial architecture, with lots of dark wood in the common areas and in the rooms. We liked the food. We found the staff uniformly friendly and helpful, and quick to respond to any problems that we encountered (e.g. fluorescent light bulb started flickering and needed replacing). When the weather permitted lying on the beach, we loved the soft yellowish-white sand, the majestic tall royal palms and the beautiful warm turquoise water. We did discover some things that were not apparent beforehand from the reviews we read, and so I would like to pass them on.

The bathrooms have a bidet, as well as the usual shower, bathtub, toilet and sink. I found the bidet useful on occasion for washing the sand off my feet, as well as for its intended function. The balconies are wide and deep, with an overhang that prevents sun from directly shining into the room and keeps the rain off most of the balcony. In addition to two rocking chairs and a coffee table, the balcony had a rack for drying towels and bathing suits, which we found quite useful.

We had hoped to find a calm sea, with little or no wind. In fact, although there is a reef off shore that breaks the waves, the water was usually quite rough. Only on two or three of our seven days was it possible to swim in the sea, and then with some difficulty. Further, there was a constant east wind, whose force ranged from a stiff breeze to a gale. This was not what we were hoping for, although we put up with it. Around the pool there was much less wind, presumably because of the protection from the hotel building and the royal palms that dot the property. Since we are not pool people, this was little consolation to us.

Also, at the place where we went in the sea, we found that the bottom, though uniformly sandy, dropped off quite sharply. After getting beyond the churning brown sandy water at the shore, and the seaweed just beyond it, you found yourself in a couple of steps over your head. Since my wife does not like to swim in water over her head, this required a delicate balancing act.

If you do decide to stay at the Palace Macao, here are some pointers that we would have found helpful, more or less in the sequence where you might find them useful.

One review of this hotel said that men were required to wear long-sleeved shirts for dinner. This report is false. Most men wore short-sleeved shirts. Long pants are a requirement. During the day, however, most men go around in a T-shirt, shorts and slides (no socks), when they are not in their bathing suits. I took running shoes, but never used them. I wore slides during the day, and dress shoes (with socks) in the evening.

At the Punta Cana airport, after clearing customs, you will encounter the often-mentioned baggage handlers *before* you emerge into the area where your tour representative is waiting to tell you which bus to go to. If you want to use the services of a baggage handler, as we did, he will put all your luggage on his dolly and go with you to the tour representative, find out your bus, and then take your luggage and see that it gets put on the bus. The Sunquest book at the hotel recommended tipping one dollar, but we actually tipped five. Since it costs $1.75 Canadian at the airport from which we flew (Toronto) to use a cart for your luggage, we did not object to paying this money, especially since it provides a decent income in a country where people really need it. On the return journey, where the baggage handler physically carried our three large bags about 30 feet to the check-in counter, we paid 1 US dollar, which seemed to be quite acceptable to him.

When you get to your hotel room, you should check that there is a gallon jug of purified water in the room, and ask immediately for one to be provided if there is not. (The tap water is not drinkable.) We found the hotel quite bad at keeping our room supplied with drinkable water. Although a man was on our floor every day with a cart with bottled drinks for the room fridge, along with jugs of purified water, he never left us water without our asking for it.

For some reason, the hotel has designated sittings for dinner in the main dining room, which has a sumptuous buffet. On your first evening, when you enter the dining room for the early or the late sitting, you should identify yourself to the maitre d', who will take you to an assigned table, which you are to use for the rest of your stay. I found this a peculiar system, since part of the dining room is for smokers and part is a non-smoking area, and one can easily get assigned to the wrong part. Presumably one can point this out if it happens, and get re-assigned.

When you check in, you will be given a key to your room and a key to the safe in your room. Both have your room number on them, which means that it is not a good idea to leave them lying around on the beach or at the pool. I got into the habit of leaving the room key at reception when I went to the beach or the pool. The key to your safe should be kept with you at all times. When I went swimming, I put the key to the safe on the draw string of my bathing suit before tying the string.

It was only on the last day that we discovered that there are toilets on the ground floor. Up to then, we had been going to our room whenever nature called. The toilets are in the westward-leading corridor just behind the reception area. The only clue to their presence is a very discreet "WC" sign at the first bend in the corridor.

On our return journey, we found the check-in procedure at Punta Cana airport extremely fast, efficient and hassle-free. There are four steps: check in, pay departure fee (US $20), clear emigration, go through security. There was no line at any of these stages, and the whole thing was done in less than 15 minutes, after which we had more than two hours in the departure area to get bored.

If you intend to buy duty-free cigarettes, the cheapest we found were in the duty-free shop in the Punta Cana airport, 24 US dollars for a carton of 200 brand-name US cigarettes. On the other hand, the prices for liquor were slightly lower on the plane coming home (Skyservice) than in the duty-free shop; we pre-ordered our liquor on the flight to Punta Cana, and were given it on the flight back.

• Liked — the elegance of the architecture
  • Disliked — the need to ask for drinkable water to be supplied in the room
22 Thank David_L_H
Newington
Reviewed April 23, 2007

We just returned from a great week at the Macao. The place is great. The staff is very friendly-always willing to help. The food was very good. We just went to the buffet and every meal there was something offered that we all could enjoy.Noone from our group got sick. The pool and the beach are both very nice-actually the beach was great-not too crowded. The room was fine-alittle small for the 3 of us(wife daughter and myself)but we didn't spend alot of time in the room.
One thing if you are traveling with children this is probably not the greatest place for kids only because they did'n't seem to have alot of activities for kids.
The casino is really weak-they have slot machines that look like they were bought from Vegas when they got rid of them in 1960 real old and don't really pay out much.
I read alot of reviews before I left and I don'tknow how anyone c
ould really complain about this place.

I know that our family would definately go back

• Liked — Beach and the food
  • Disliked — casino
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank hueyConn
Medford, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 22, 2007

It was incredible. I just got back yesterday (Apr. 22, 2007) from my trip and I'm still wishing that I was there. The hotel is absolutly gorgeous. The food is awesome. The wait staff incredible. Front desk folks are the best ever. They are very helpful. Overall it was the best vacation ever. I am so glad that I picked this hotel to stay at because nothing can compare to in in the least bit. The pool was cleaned daily, morning and evening. The entertainment team was great. The beach is absolutly beautiful. Everything is clean. They are always more than willing to accomidate you. I mean it was great. I can't stop talking about my experience there. The dominican men are great and very cute. So sweet. Over all it was a wonderful experience. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. If you're heading out to Punta Cana definatly go to the Macao.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — I loved everything about it
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank JemimaF
BANGOR, ME
Reviewed April 22, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Riu Macao from 4/14/07 to 4/21/07. We had a great time. The service was excellent and the resort was beautiful. I felt that the beach was the highlight of this resort. The sand start just after the pool. For about 300 feet there is sand and palm trees with lounge chairs and brick walkways. After the the walkways end there is another 100 feet of sand all the way to the water. The beach is the best we have ever been to, and we've been to 7 other caribbean locations. The sea weed was raked up every morning and there was no rocks or corral to step on. We walk about 3 miles to the left and 1 mile to the right and felt safe as long as there were resorts in sight. We were hasseled by some time share and excursion sellers but they took no for an anser. About one mile to the right there is a number of shacks selling all kinds of tourist stuff. You need to bargain with them. One of the shop keepers keep dogs and puppies to draw people in. They were very hungry and thirsty so bring food and water, and think twice before buying anything form him.
The food was okay. We got tired of the same food smells coming from the restaurants, and after several days the beef and chicken all tasted the same no mater which restaurant you went to. We didn't care for any native food as we are more used to Mexican. The steakhouse was the best out of all. We did not experience any gastrict distress, but we took 2 pepto bismal tabs a day just for good measure. We used the bottled water to brush our teeth. The drinks were great. They used top shelf liquor only when you asked for them specifically.
Bring plenty ones to tip the bartenders because they will remember you and also the maids. Also remember to tip the guys who get your kayak, paddle boat or boogey board and the waiters. The air conditioner didn't work well in our room but others said that theirs worked fine. Try to ask for a ground floor room or one by the elevator. The weather was great. It rained one afternoon but we took advantage of this and played cribbage, taking a break from the hot sun and also met some wonderful people in the bar. Tropical rain is so different from rain in the Northeast!!! Keep in mind that if you are traveling with young children and are not used to uninhibited European customs, many women choose to go topless on the beach. MANY Women, regardless of shape and size. I saw one OLD guy wearing a thong bathing suit also. Just wrong!!!! We are just not used to these practices. There were very few bugs or bug eating animals and you could smell the insecticide that they sprayed at times. Hi to our special friends, Pat and Casey who we met and found we had may things in common with. I hope they read this.
P.S. Make sure you are at the airport early on you return (very unorganized)

• Liked — THE BEACH
  • Disliked — NIGHT TIME ENTERTAINMENT
6 Thank JEROME79
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection
Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana
Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana
#67 of 111 in Punta Cana

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Macao? Share your experiences!