“Ignore Negative Reviews! This Place is Wonderful!”

Hotel Riu Palace Macao
Ranked #42 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed May 10, 2010

I just thought I’d make some comments on some of the negative reviews this resort has received. I have never been to an all-inclusive resort before so I really have no frame of reference to compare but I know what is good and I know what is unreasonable. I had a huge vested interest in the resort because it is where my wife and I decided to get married.
First, the food: Anyone who could not find something they thoroughly enjoyed to eat is a terribly picky eater. We had a group of 20 and everyone enjoyed every meal they had. The buffet had a great selection from local cuisine to American style food. Sure, they had similar items everyday (I’ve yet to see a buffet in the world that doesn’t) but there was always something unique from the cutting station to the pasta bar. Also, every Thursday the Buffet would provide a theme (Tex-Mex, Gala, etc.). The specialty restaurants were great and the Krystal was, simply put, spectacular (a meal you would pay $200 for and it was inclusive!)
Second, the service: My wife and I both work in the Entertainment and Service industry and this resort is top notch in the service they provide. Everyone we encountered was always extremely pleasant and happy. I was extremely impressed with the special attention they paid to small children. You couldn’t walk to the pool without getting greeted five times! I could not believe how much these people work and they are always happy and welcoming.
Finally, the Resort itself: The rooms were consistently kept clean, the booze, mix and beer in the rooms were constantly replenished, and, yes, the air-conditioning worked (so much, in fact, that we turned it off because it was too cold). Overall, this resort was completely worth the money and highly recommended. To my fellow Canucks, they LOVE Canadians!

• Stayed: April 2010
3  Thank ReeceX

Reviewed May 10, 2010

For those that wrote a bad review - YOU ARE CRAZY! This was the most amazing vacation I have ever been on. The Riu Palace Macao is smaller than most resorts, but that's what I loved. The beach was fantastic and never crowded. The water was perfect. The staff is beyond amazing - we were treated like royalty. The food was great and there was so much to choose from. I also had my wedding there, on the beach, and it was PERFECT. I have never felt so relaxed in my life. We are already planning to go back!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank bochmansc
Reviewed May 9, 2010

This was our first experience going to Punta Cana and it would take alot for me to go back and if I go back I would never stay at a RIU again. I have stayed at RIU's in Mexico and had a great experience and this was why I chose to stay at the RIU in Punta Cana. I had a great experience with the help, they where always friendly and helpful. My biggest problem was with the food and finding things to eat. This was the first all inclusive vacation my husband and I lost weight on. The breakfast buffet was bad.... My husband settled for cereal every morning and I eat croissants and fruit. The eggs where runny and the bacon was either way over done or still fatty and never cooked. The lunch was the same everyday and I ate rice. They had grouper every day which was good but after 6 days you get kinda sick of it. They had stewed goat everyday.... My husband and I have traveled all over the world and we have tried all different kinds of food but, this was the first time we both couldn't find anything to eat. The restaurants where all right.... They where better than the buffet but still needed some help. The second night we found out we needed a table number and to pick a certain time for the buffet dinner. I have never experienced this before usually the buffets where eat when you want.
The locals selling things where very pushy and would come all the way up to the pool area. They would bug you for 5-10 minutes and you would have to tell them "NO" several times. We barely did any shopping because they where so pushy we would walk away. My husband and I travel to Mexico all the time and this was 10x's more aggresive and they like to shake your hand and grab your arm to show you things. If you can't handle Mexico you will not like this....
The beaches, ocean and sand are all fabulous..... We did find a local restaurant "JELLYFISH" this was a great restaurant and servered fabulous seafood. If you take a cab ride the restaurant will pay one way for you. I had a great lobster tail.....

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 6, 2010

I've been guilty of the 'paralysis of analysis' when it comes to picking the 'perfect' vacation spot... it has to have the perfect pool scene, the swim up bar, the safety issue and nightlife scene, and the location to/from the airport, blah blah blah .. blah blah! Tell you what. I'm gonna keep this real simple and tell you that the hotel will be worth the money you paid for, they cater to your needs (as long as youre a reasonable person), and you're gonna be on vacation in the caribbean so you can't go wrong. The hotel is in a sweet location and the beach is awesome. There isn't a swim up bar here so that wasn't too cool, but you could walk over to the Riu Bambo and use their pool (which does have a swim up bar). To sum up the differences between the two - the Macao was a little more upscale in presentation and the architecture/facilities felt "nicer". But it also had more of a 'family' scene and only 1 pool which had kids, adults, etc. It wasn't a bad thing since I usually have fun drinking anywhere i am regardless. They had activities for the guests and the food was good/great. Don't get picky about the food, it's completely good. I think those that leave really picky reviews here about how the rooms "smell" or the food was "yucky" are just a little too uptight. Or they may have had one bad experience and it may have tainted their entire trip (and their perception of a "good time"). Remember, you're on vacay. Have fun and you'll get a lot more out of it.

I can't really say anything negative about any of the Riu hotels that I saw at Punta Cana. Even at the low end (Bambu), those hotels were nice. The crowd was a little younger but don't get me wrong, you're still gonna run into kids. But it's a little more "lively" at the bambu with music by the poolside cranking a little louder, etc. On the flip side, the Riu Palace was also really nice. It felt more luxurious (but you paid for that, right?), and the resort grounds were really nice. Nice big pools with built in loungers inside the pool so you can lay out inside the pool. They had a swim up bar too, but since we stayed at the Macao, they wouldn't serve us any drinks. Our wristbands were only good at the Bambu or Macao. The crowd at the Palace was even more upscale than the Macao. How would i describe it... The Palace felt like Beverely Hills. The Macao felt more like the middle income suburban family resort. Bambu felt more like young couples and older couples who just wanted to have a good time. You can't go wrong with picking any of the three. They all access the same beaches and you can walk to each of them. Just pick the resort that fits in your budget, but don't try to go over your price just because you think the lower/mid priced resorts won't be "good enough". They are all great. Food at the Bambu was just as good as Macao, for those wondering. Stop thinking and just go!

This was the first leg (3 nights) of our 3 week stay in DR. Next off, Piedra Blanca (relatives/friends homes), then to Santo Domingo (relatives/friends homes), Puerta Plata (all inclusive resort), and then to Juan Dolio (all inclusive resort).

I'll post some pics and try to locate the names of the other resorts we stayed so I can submit a review... This was almost a year ago but thought I should share my feedback.

To see photos from our trip, visit:

DR Streets: http://picasaweb.google.com/kangpet/DRStreets?feat=directlink
DR Faces: http://picasaweb.google.com/kangpet/DRFacesPeople?feat=directlink
DR Food: http://picasaweb.google.com/kangpet/DRFood?feat=directlink

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pk415
Reviewed April 27, 2010

Just returned from a week a the Riu Macao 4/18-4/25. This was our first trip to Punta Cana. We read good and bad reviews and didn't expect what we were in for. I'll start with our room. Faceing the pool and haveing a balcony was a plus. Note..room great. Clean and smell free. Service for our room was wonderful from bed maide to the person who restalked mini bar. We decided to have second seating for dinner 8:30. Worked out great even though we weren't used to eating late. Could stay at pool or beach until 6 or 6:30 then stop at bar and take a couple of drinks up to room, sit on balcony relax take shower, dress and go to lobby bar for drink befor dinner. Dinning room is all closed in, air conditioned and ceiling fans. Dressed up staff with white shirts and ties. Food was very good and a nice selection including a carving area and pasta
bar. Alfredo was great. Sooo much food. Breakfast, and lunch buffet was good also with omlet bar and plenty of other selections. Pool area: Had no problem getting places to sit.. Most of the time we sat under the palm trees and had sun, shade and breeze. Beach
was wonderful. Didn't go to any shows because they were inside lounge and too smokey. The best vacation we have had and can't wait to go back. P.S. we are in our 60's. Have done many cruises, but this was better. Don't hesitate, just go. Stay at the Macao this is the best.. You have access to the other Riu's but no need to go there. You have the best at the Macao.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cjpapaof9
Reviewed April 25, 2010

Stayed here from April 16-23rd, paid $847.00 Canadian each. My daughter (5yrs) was free. The hotel was very clean, and the service is the best you will ever get. All the workers greeted you with a smile and made you feel special. They were great with all the kids.
The food was incredible. The restaurants were all excellent, the main restaurant (buffet) will blow you away. At the buffet one night, I had 3 fillet mignon steaks that would have cost $30.00 each at a restaurant, and I cut them with a butter knife.
The drinks at the piano bar were premium. All drinks in glasses, no cheap plastic cups here.
The beach was clean, and lots of action to watch, para sailing, party boats going by, helicopters etc...
The pool was clean and quiet, could have used some type of pool music.
Overall, this hotel is a bargain, I would strongly recommend this to anyone. However, you should not hesitate, we were told that this hotel will be closed next year for renovations....and that means the price will be going up.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank TravellingSherpa
Reviewed April 25, 2010

I will keep this brief because I felt it necessary to write something.. I Read many many reviews AND BOOKED THIS 7 DAYS IN ADVANCE for my daughters sweet 16.MY 8 yr old son loved playing volleyball on the beach with guests that didnt speak english but were able to have fun together .EVERYONE WAS SO FRIENDLY. THE STAFF WAS AMAZING!!!!! HARD WORKING FRIENDLY PROFESSIONAL ,ALWAYS SAYING HOLA OR BUENOS DIAS OR SOMETHING NICE.Disregard a negative review about the front desk . I FOUND THEM TO BE GREAT.I mentioned my daughters bday to them and not only found a bottle of champagne in the room but the day before a huge deliciuos fruit basket!!.A THANK YOU AND TIPPING GOES ALONG WAY. I brought 60 singlesand it was gone by the third day but you can get more at the front desk...FOOD WAS GREAT never made the steakhouse cause we get great steaks here. ACTUALLY HAD 2 BDAY DINNERS in 1 NITE where the crew sang and played musical happy bday!!
I flew continental vacations and never found the person that was to be there the 2nd day for orientation.I mentioned it to the front desk and about our return transfers and she assured me of a ride to the airport without delay. if not she would personally call them as not to miss our flight .She also wrote me a note when we were leaving thanking me for being a firefighter and that we are appreciated not only in the states but in other countries as well !!! AWESOME TIME!!!
ANY Q'S JUST ASK!!!

Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection
Alsol Luxury Village
Alsol Luxury Village
#86 of 112 in Punta Cana

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Macao? Share your experiences!