“Will not go back.”

Hotel Riu Palace Macao
Ranked #43 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed July 16, 2005

Just the facts. The beach was awesome. The sand was soft with clear blue calm water, after the hurricane passed. The service was excellent. The food was ok. We had to shoo the flys off the food at the buffet at some of the resturants. I did get very sick with food poisoning.
The resort was beautiful all in all. BUT, the rooms smelled like an old basement. We changed rooms right away the first day. Mold and mildew is growing on everything in and out of the room, including on the mattress. The beds were hard as rocks and the linens were falling apart. They felt like sand paper on your skin. My fiance and I suffered from back pain all five nights. Our plan was a nice relaxing vacation, not the case. The pool was smaller than expected but refreshing. The entertainment was fun and upbeat. We did not go to the disco at night but it was large and airconditioned. I was happy to come back home to the US. I will not go back to the Dominican Republic.

• Stayed: July 2005
18  Thank Lulubird
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riu Palace Macao

Milford, Delaware
Reviewed July 7, 2005

As a previous travel agent and flight attendant I have stayed in all sorts of properties from the U.S., Mexico and Europe. I must admit that not only I, but my husband and my 14 year old daughter are used to staying at the best hotels when we go someplace or we do not go at all. And we don't get into eating at Mc Donalds while we are on vacation. This was one of the first vacations that I had actually considered cancelling because I had read alot of very mixed reviews of not only the hotel but vacationing in the Dominican Republic. Thank goodness that we did not decide to cancel. The Riu Palace Macao is exactly as it is described and then once you settle in it becomes even more. If you are looking for Disney World or a 24 hour party, this is DEFINATELY not the place for you. However if you want total class and a really nice upscale family vacation where you actually get the chance to talk to eachother and truly enjoy the real Caribbean experience of relaxing while listening to the wind blowing through the coconut palms and love the sound of the waves gently breaking on the beach, with the option for all the water sports you can handle, this is it. There is shopping nearby too. The hotel is like a step back in time, almost like a Morrocan palace that might have been in some Hemmingway book. The hotel is true Caribbean with dark woods and marble. Absolutely the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed at. Not 1 bug! The staff is absolutely charming and due to the fact that it is not a monster sized hotel the staff all know you within the first couple of days you are there. Anything you could possibly need to ask for is taken care of and then followed up on by the asst. mgr. Infact, one day I had really overdone it and become dehydrated and sick to my stomach, enough for the mgr. to have to call the doctor. Larissa, the asst. mgr took my husband personally to the manager of all the restaurants, introduced them, explained that I was upstairs in bed sick and that at any time no matter what time of the day or night that they make me anything that I wanted and would'nt even let him carry it to my room!!! Who does that??? I can even say that I have experienced a Dominican doctor and have nothing but good to say about that too! Nothing some electrolites could'nt handle. For the first time at an all inclusive I had an assigned dinner time, thinking I would hate it but we loved it! I loved being able to pick what seating I wanted for dinner as I had the same table every night and the same waiter and waitress who knew exactly what we drank and who we were. We never had to jockey for a table. If we wanted to swith times we could . Even better was the no limited nights to your dinners at the specialty restaurants like at other all inclusives.Our standard dinner staff greated us every night and took care of everything we needed and never rushed us. We had the same waiter and waitress every night. They addressed us with smiles and a friendly greeting everytime they saw us. They become your friends. And even if they aren't really glad to see you, you would never know it. The staff as a whole are the hardest working and happiest staff I have ever come across. I have to attribute this to the philosophy of Riu Hotels first for having such high standards and secondly for the Dominican people and proper staffing. EVERY night the asst. mgr, Larissa was in the dining room with a pad and pen, stopping at each table taking the time to speak to every guest, meeting all of us, asking questions about their stay and then writing down anything that someone might like changed or noting something that made someone unhappy and then actually looked into whatever the problem was and fixed it by the next time she saw you! (Effortlessly) She never stopped working, even when her husband was home with her 3 year old extremely ill.
In comment to the Americans who have problems with the type of food that is prepared, please keep in mind that you are not in the United States. Also remember that this is not an American Hotel. Riu Hotels is run by a company based in Spain. It's primary clientele is from Europe. Therefore if I had to describe the food I would have to say it has a strong European influence but also is mixed with some Caribbean/Dominican. For those die hard U.S. travelers there is pizza served all day long as well as roast beef and turkey in the dining room for dinner. Pancakes, ham, sausage,cereal, toast plus lots of other European type choices for breakfast. If you can't find something to make your stomach happy here, considering that you are where you are, you might as well stay home. The difference if the food is part of the total experience. This is a very upscale hotel in a very POOR country. Have we had better food in other countries? Yes. But I really have no complaints nor did my husband whose family are caterers.
To wrap things up, my family and I absolutely loved our vacation form our tennis games in the morning, the smiling faces at the front desk and restaurants, the entertainment at night and during the day by the pool, the most beautiful beach I have ever seen, the landscaping, my soft sheets and most importantly, how the entire staff made you feel. You were'nt just a room number in a huge all inclusive. You were a GUEST. And they made you feel that way. Some people just "get it" and some people it just does'nt click with. Infact I was not surprised to learn that about 75% of the Riu guests are rreturn customers every year. As I said, you eiter get it or you don't. It is BECAUSE of the way we were treated that we will continue to return. Infact just yesterday I recieved an e-mail from the asst. mgr. just saying hi and checking on the status of my Riu Club Card. We talk about our families and our lives as if we had known eachother for awhile. We have never experienced this at any other resort before. If you are expecting an American Holiday this is not it. If you love meeting people from other countries and sharing cultures in the laps of luxury this is it with total class... just not the flashing lights and Imax theatres of Cancun and Las Vegas. Not that they are'nt great too. It's just not that kind of vacation. It's a classy non-rowdy hotel. Kindof that old money feel but not stuffy. I am 41. My husband is 43 and my daughter is 14. It's not just for a bunch of old people. The staff is there for all ages and all cultures. You just have to remember you're not in Kansas anymore and enjoy the Dominican people. We did and are so glad we went. We are already trying to figure out when we can get back.

• Stayed: March 2005
56  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed July 4, 2005

My husband and I honeymooned at the Palace from 6/27-7/1. Prior to leaving, we read dozens of reviews from other past guests...all I can say is listen to everything positive about this place!!! This place is absolutely beautiful...not perfect, but the natives try their hardest to make it perfect! If this is your first time on a resort, like us, you will fall in love with this one. If you have previously traveled to other resorts, you will fall in love with this one. I am going to break my review down in some categories:

SCALE OF 1 to 10

FOOD: SCORE 8
Loved the fish, grilled veggies, and abundance of fruits. There were some questionable dishes, however, what can you expect when you are in another country? I say, if you keep an open mind, and think outside of the box, you will be satisfied with the food. The best part was that we didn't have to cook for ourselves for 4 days! :)

SERVICE: SCORE 10
This was one of the best parts of the trip! Understanding that DR is a very poor country, you'll be amazed by the service that the natives give despite their circumstances. They gave wonderful service with a smile, and they expected nothing in return. I can say that we spent a nice portion of our money on tips (because we wanted to, not because we had to). Also, I saw security checking the bags of the cleaning ladies before they left off the resort to go home.

ROOMS: SCORE 8
I can say that the pictures on this website do not do justice for the rooms. The rooms are much larger in person. Ours was an ocean-view suite, but because we were on the 2 floor, we didn't have much of a view of the ocean, but we had an excellent view of the pool and garden area. We had 2 queen-size beds put together to make one huge "loveboat." :) The bathroom was very nice, and the balcony was large. oh...you can easily dial home by dialing 9+1+area code and #...for a $2.00/minute charge. :(
One negative that we experienced in the room was small ants and almost invisible little spiders, but we wiped the the dresser with disinfectant wipes, and had the hotel spray the room, and we didn't have a major problem with it later. Since I am a country girl, that really didn't bother me. It was kind of expected on an island with so much vegetation. Also, they kept the room stocked with sodas and liquor. One more thing, if you keep your towels and washclothes on the racks in the bathroom, they will assume you are willing to re-use the same. You have to put them on the floor if you want a new one. At the end of our trip, after we had to check out at 12:00 noon, the hotel was kind enough to give us a temporary room until we were scheduled to leave the resort at 4:00pm. I guess this was a room set aside for that purpose because it was very small. The view was non-existent, and the the furniture was not in the best condition. This let us know that our original room was excellent because it could have been worse! Guess you get what you pay for! :)

POOL: SCORE 7
I did not go into the pool at our hotel, which was beautiful with 3 fountains in it, however everyone else looked as though they were really enjoying it (topless and all!). I did go into the pool next door to the right of the hotel, but, honestly, I wasn't too crazy about it because there was some "yellow stuff" and other "debris" floating on the edges. At one point and time, I took in a little water...the next day my stomach was a little queazy...a little immodium AD and 7-up cured that problem! The pool at the Palace did not look dirty from where I could see.

BEACH: SCORE 10
Plenty of chairs, space...
Again, I am not a swimmer, so I didn't get the full effect, but my husband, who is a "fish," was in absolute awe. I thought the water was a little rough, but he thought it was just right! I did get use to the water after a while. I enjoyed sunbathing on the beach more than anything else. Being a beautiful, dark-skinned African-American woman (and definitely a minority at this resort), I found it wonderful to stand out from the rest of the crowd. I took advantage of the topless opportunity (that of which I would never do in the states!) Everyone was very respectful, and no one gawked, but I did notice some admirers! :) I can say that this place really did give me more appreciation and love for my own body and skin, especially seeing all the different people who were not afraid to share their bodies as well.

EXCURSIONS: SCORE 10
If you are fortunate enough to go on the OUTBACK SAFARI and have "NACHO" as your tour guide, you will have the opportunity to learn so much about DR that you probably did not know before visiting. This excursion is well worth the money (approx $79/person). We were able to travel into the country side, and see how some of the Dominicans live on a daily basis. If you go, make sure to purchase some of the fresh coffee. Also, despite how some others say to take something for the local kids, NACHO explained to us that, not only is it against the law, but also they discourage tourists from giving money, candy, toys, etc. to the kids because it promotes begging, and they want their children to understand the importance of working hard to earn their money, etc.

BARGAINING:
Make sure you get the price that YOU want to pay for anything that you purchase there. The hotel prices are not really negotiable, but everywhere else (including high-priced Caribbean Street) can be negotiated...start ridiculously low and then move up. Be absolutely serious about it. Remember the exchange rate right now is like 29 pesos to $1.

NIGHTLIFE: SCORE 4
We enjoyed Carnival on one night on Caribbean Street, but other than that, nightlife was a little non-existent at the Palace. You see people walking around, but it wasn't nothing to write home about. This place is about pure relaxation. If you're looking for a place to party...this is NOT it, but it is a place to enjoy the person you are with.

DRINKS: SCORE 8
I'm not much of a drinker, but I had my full of drinks! :) They didn't seem very strong; however if you asked them to add a little something extra in it, they were more than happy to oblige. My husband really loved the Presidente beer.

OTHER VACATIONERS:
Pretty much this place is filled with Europeans (Germans, French, English, etc...). It was great to see other Americans, but on the other hand, it was very nice to observe the ways of the other nationalities and cultures. We could learn a thing or two from each other...some of them could learn to loosen up a little, and some of us could learn to be a little more reserved when appropriate. :) However, if you make eye-contact and smile at some of the Germans, you may be able to get them to break their stoic facial expressions.

SPA: SCORE 7
We received a 30 minute couples massage. They mainly focused on our backs. I've had better massages, but maybe if we paid for more time, it would have been worth writing home about.

AIRPORT: SCORE 9
We were a little confused at first only because of the language barrier; however, we quickly figured out what we needed to do from other knowledgeable Americans. Then we were met by an Apple rep who lead us directly to our transport van (about 45 minute ride to resort).

NEGATIVES:
some mosquito bites (but i'm still here to write about it)
heat rash (but i'm still here to write about it)
spiders/ants in the room (but i'm still here to write about it)
missed the lobster dinner on friday night (but...well i'm still a little upset about that one...BUT i'm still here to write about it :)

ADVICE:
pack lightly, it's very hot and humid
if you're of a paler complexion, take a black bathing suit, and if you're of a darker complexion, take a white bathing suit...the contrast on the skin is amazing! :)
take plenty of sunscreen (AAs, too)
don't forget meds (tylenol, immodium, etc)
don't swallow the water (not even the pool water)
guys take plenty of t-shirts (it's very humid)
TAKE SMALL BILLS ($1, $5, $10) - you can lock your cash in your room safe...we never used our VISA, and our large bills were used for the excusion only
stay for atleast 7 days, 4 was too short for us
OPEN YOUR MIND, AND ENJOY YOUR STAY
TREAT THE STAFF WITH ALL DUE RESPECT...THEY DESERVE IT!!! :)

peace!

40  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 2, 2005

My wife and I just returned from a weeklong stay at the Riu Palace Macao in Punta Cana. We traveled with another couple and all four of us had an amazing time. We were slightly concerned before leaving about the forecasted weather which showed daily thunderstorms but we only experienced two thunderstorms the entire week and neither lasted for longer than thirty minutes.
As soon as we arrived at the palace we were guided through our check-in by a thorough and knowledgable staff. My Spanish is limited so I was happy that there was always someone around with strong English skills. In fact it seems like the majority of the staff is well versed in many languages.
Our room was very nice, not quite 5 stars by our standards but it was done up in hand carved wood, rich red granite, and crown molding. The only strange thing was the European style king size bed which consisted of two full beds pushed together and individually made. All rooms have balconies that include two rocking chairs, a side table, and a pull out rack to dry your wet bathing suits. Maids come by twice a day to clean the room in the morning and for turn down service in the evening. Each room is also visited daily by a staff person who restocks the beverages in the fridge as well as the bottles of premium vodka, rum, brandy, and gin that are mounted behind glass and dispense pre-measured shots.
Our days were divided between laying on the beautiful beach, lounging by the pool, hanging out at the numerous bars, and participating in various water sports such as sailing, snorkeling, and kayaking. I would strongly advise making reservations on the first day for a wide variety of water sports because spots tend to fill up quickly since they are all complementary. Towels are provided by the hotel so it is unneccesary to bring your own.
The dining was very good and the wait staff was extremely accomidating. On our first night there were two enormous plates of caviar set up by the cheese bar and I joked to our waiter on the second night that they forgot to put out the caviar (which had been replaced for the evening with a nacho bar), five minutes later the manager brought a plate of caviar over to our table. There were plenty of different styles of food for many different cultural persuasions and there were also two themed food nights at the main restaurant. The red wine that was served left much to be desired but the white wine was fine. During our stay we also dined at the steakhouse which had unbelievably good steaks and the El Caribe which was situated on the sand and was open air with excellent gourmet cuisine. The only problem with that restaurant is that it got very hot for us guys who had to wear long pants to every dinner. I would strongly suggest bringing along linen pants as well as some nicer men's sandals. The dress code was not that bad considering that the entire staff is dressed in longsleeves, pants, and a vest or sportcoat.
The nice thing about staying at the Palace as opposed to the other two Riu resorts is that as a Palace guest you receive a wristband entitling you to dine and drink at the other Riu resorts which was nice considering that both have a very casual lunch buffet to which you can wear your bathing suit. If you have children I would suggest staying at the Riu Bambu because of the more family atmosphere.
Entertainment was ongoing with a fun staff that is very good at drawing voluntary crowd participation. Throughout the day are aerobics classes, volleyball games, dancing lessons, and step classes. At night there are shows put on that are mildly entertaining but more a chance to escape into the air conditioning and enjoy beverage service. The casino also offers some nice diversions. We were all happy that we went as a group because we were able to sit outside some nights and just play cards or dominos and relax.
We are already planning our next trip to the Riu Palace Macao for next year. The price is unbeatable and the relaxation value is priceless. Truly the most relaxing vacation I have ever had.

14  Thank OneoffClothing
Reviewed June 18, 2005

My Fiance and I returned from a 2 week stay at the palace (2/6 - 16/6) and i have to say that this hotel is amazing. I read a lot of reviews on this website before we left and i was unsure of what to expect. However, we were blown away by the hotel and especially by the staff.

The staff on arrival were friendly and exlpained the various rules of the hotel, such as how to get your towels each day and when and were to eat.

The room we stayed was in great condition and thankfully there was air conditioning. There is a mini bar with bottled water, soft drinks and alcohol which was restocked everyother day. They also have a safe in each room.

The pool is okay but we found that, because of the palm trees, there was not much breeze so it got very hot around that area. Still, its great to have the waiter come round and take your drink order whilst your soaking up the rays!

We spent most of our time on the beach, which is fantastic. The sea is clear and very clean. The only problem was you got a lot of people approaching you to try and get you to go parasailing/scuba diving etc.

ALL the staff were excellent, they do anything to help you and a big shout out goes to Rafael, our waiter in the main resturant. Most of them speak fairly good english but i does help if you know some basic spanish.

The food is good but got a bit samey towards the end of our stay. Im pleased to say the we did not suffer any illness nor did anyone else that we knew of.

The only negative we could find is that there isnt much entertainment in the evenings but you are free to go into the other hotels in the resort to find some.

All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and came back alot more relaxed than when we left. Enjoy your stay !

13  Thank jacque24
Reviewed June 16, 2005

I just returned from a 7 day vacation/honeymoon at the Riu Palace (June 8-15). My fiance and I took 24 of our closest friends and family down there for our wedding, which was absolutely beautiful. We got married on the beach, and with the help of the wedding coordinator at the Palace, Magnolia, everything turned out just as I had imagined. We were upgraded to a suite upon our arrival, and things were looking pretty good. However, from then it was like a roller coaster. We didn't arrive at the Palace until 5:30, and we were starving. But because all of the restaurants were getting ready for the 6:30 dinner, we weren't able to eat anything. Every night all of the restaurants have two dinner seatings, at 6:30 and 8:30, ONLY! We had three kids traveling with us, an 11 year old, a 6 year old, and a 21 month old. At 6:30, it is just way too early to eat, and at 8:30 it is too late. The same night of our arrival, we were ALLOWED to eat in the main buffet restaurant at 8:30, however once we got down there, we were refused to be let in, because all the men had on shorts, and men have to wear pants to eat in this restaurant, where there is little to no air conditioning. We were at the beach where it was 90+ degrees, why would we bring pants? The people there weren't even nice about it, they were very rude and said that the guys could possibly BORROW some from the front desk! If not, then you just don't get to eat, because they don't allow you to take food out of the restaurants and there is no room service available (only in the mornings from 7 am to 10 am). Luckily the front desk had some horrible navy blue polyester pants in various sizes that the guys were able to put on for the duration of dinner! To close on the restaurants, the food is horrible, so make sure you take plenty of snacks, and make sure that you make reservations EVERYDAY to eat, or else you won't get to! One night we went to one of the restaurants without reservations, and were turned away, with only 7 people in the restaurant, because they didn't have enough food!! I have never been to an All Inclusive that didn't have enough food! Also, my new husband got so sick after eating some strange looking "beef" (Dominican mystery meat). He threw up for two days and then ended up eating Pringles, Doritos, and Snickers that he bought from the store for the rest of our trip! The wait staff is pretty good, as long as you're tipping, they will come around regularly to check on you and bring you more drinks. The beach bar is definitely the best; besides its location, they are the only bar with frozen drinks and the atmosphere just can't be beat!

The beaches there are so beautiful, white sand and turquoise water. They are a lot of activities that can be booked down at the beach, and those are pretty much the only ones available. The Palace crowd tends to be European and senior citizens. It is not much of a party place and they don't offer very many activities in itself. The pool there is very nice, as is all of the scenery; great views everywhere that you look!

The days before our wedding, we were able to get pretty much anything that we wanted from the front desk; however afterwards, it was a different story. Some of the people who worked there would pretend that they couldn't speak English, even though we had talked to them before, like when there was a problem. On the day that my family left, some of them left their carry-on bags behind the front desk, and then when they went back to get them, stuff was missing out of them: CD players, makeup, etc., and when they were confronted about the missing items, the staff got very ugly and used very foul language to express themselves! The cleaning staff at the Palace is the best that I have ever seen. They are the friendliest ones there, they do an awesome job, and are VERY trustworthy!

Most of our group is pretty young, 20's-30's, and we were hoping that this resort would be a little more happening. It is very much a place to go and relax. If you go with a group, you can liven it up, or if you're lucky, you'll meet some other people there your age to hang out with. The Palace is definitely nicer than the other Riu hotels in Punta Cana, but it is definitely not a 5-star resort. I have been to many other resorts in Cancun, Cozumel, Puerta Plata, Cabo San Lucas, Puerta Vallarta, etc., which were nicer and they may or may not have been 5-star. The Palace is very proud of their 5-star status, as they bring it up anytime they can, but I'm not quite sure that their stars are the same as in the US!

If you have any questions or would like to see pictures, please email me and I will be more then happy to share our experience! Also, if you are planning a beach wedding, I would love to share our story for any nervous brides!

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 9, 2005

My wife and I just returned from a 7-day stay at the Riu Palace Macao (we stayed May 27 - June 3). We had stayed at the Riu Bambu last September and thought we would try the Palace this time around. In comparison with the Bambu, the Palace offered a much more "relaxed" atmosphere. The Bambu is more noisy and crowded whereas the Palace is much more calm and relaxed. The food was better, and the beach offered a beach bar where guests of the Palace could get drinks (at the Bambu, guests had to walk from the beach to a restaurant to get a drink). The Palace was beautiful, the staff was excellent, and the room was wonderful. When we first arrived at the resort, a manager assured us that they would do anything necessary to make our stay "super or excellent - not just good", and they definitely did. The Palace is more "formal" than the Bambu; at the Palace, the men and women must wear something over their bathing suits, and the waiters get your sodas for you as opposed to the self-service at the Bambu, where bathing suits are permitted in the lunch restaurants. Also, the men must wear long pants to dinner at the buffet restaurant, which can be very hot. The buffet has a variety of foods, and our last night there, they offered lobster and filet mignon. We ate at the buffet restaurant every night, and you are assigned a seat and a time to eat; Angel was our server, and he did a fantastic job. By the third day, he knew exactly what we wanted to drink and brought it to us immediately. We never experienced any illness from the food - not this year at the Palace or last year at the Bambu. I sampled practically everything on the buffet, and never did get sick. Most of the guests are European, but the staff was able to communicate well with them and speak English with us. In fact, we were under the impression that the staff that spoke the best English had been assigned to the Palace as opposed to one of the other Riu resorts. The rooms were very nice and offered a mini-fridge that was stocked daily. There are hair dryers in the room, but my wife brought her own and asked for an adapter to plug it in. We had to pay a $5 deposit, which we got back when we checked out. The beach is absolutely phenomenal, and the water was very clean and clear. We got up early every morning and went to the beach. They had several canopies covering 2 chairs and a table, and we sat under one of these canopies every day. Most days, we fell asleep under the canopy with the breeze blowing and the sound of the waves rolling in. We also walked a couple of miles down the beach; it was beautiful and very safe. It was the most relaxing experience we have ever had. We experienced 7 days of total relaxation and had not a care in the world. We have stayed twice at the Moon Palace Resort in Mexico, twice at Iberostar in Mexico, and at Sandals in Negril, Jamaica, and we truly believe that this trip to the Palace surpassed those wonderful trips. We had such an amazing time, and we miss it already. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: May 2005
Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro
#56 of 112 in Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Green Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Macao? Share your experiences!