Me and my boyfriend stayed 2 weeks in this hotel and had a really incredible time. Everything is so relaxing and comfortable! I’ve been to the Dominican Republic 5 times now and I can honestly say that this is the best hotel in the DR I’ve been to so far.
The hotel is really nice, offers great service and excellent food and drinks. The two restaurants near the beach were so so, but the Japanese restaurant and the buffet restaurant were really great. At the buffet restaurant you can eat all sorts of things: different kinds of meat, fish, vegetables, desserts, snacks, salads…all you can wish for actually ;)
The room was good as well, though I suggest the manager buys other beds, because they were not that comfortable. The room we were in was quite big, had a spacious balcony and a nice bathroom. Housekeeping comes in twice a day, so your room is always neat! You can order room service (free of charge) and the minibar (free of charge as well) is filled with several drinks. Also, the room had an alcohol dispenser with 4 different bottles of alcohol, but we didn’t really use them, since most of the times we already had some drinks at the bar or at the beach.
The only negative thing I can complain about is that the staff (not all of them of course) are real golddiggers. As said, I’ve been to the DR several times and I noticed a change in behaviour of the local people who work in the hotels. The reason this has happened, is because a lot of people from the USA celebrate their vacation in the DR and since they’re used to giving tips to waiters, they assume that this is how it works in the DR too. The waiters – of course – don’t earn that much money, so the consequence is that they now are kind of expecting to get tips. Remember that this is an all-inclusive resort! If you don’t give tips after two days, they ignore you and we sometimes had to wait 20 minutes for somebody to come and ask if we wanted anything. Trust me, I’m not at all against giving tips, but I always do it at the end of my vacation (with the exception of the bellboy and the room service guy, which I give tips directly), to thank the people who really offered some excellent service. I really was astonished by the behaviour of some of the staff members. Their priority were the people who gave them tips, which in an all-inclusive resort is really strange, since the idea of this all is that you’ve already paid for everything! At the end of our vacation, we gave tips to the waiters and other staff members who were always friendly to us, regardless of the tips. When the other members saw that we gave them tips, they almost started running and asking if we needed something else, just because they wanted a tip as well. For us, this kind of behaviour is REALLY not our thing!
But ok…! Furthermore, the swimmingpool is not that big, but we prefer the beach anyway and the beach is REALLY great! Nice water and sand! There is a bar on the beach, also at the swimmingpool, so no lack of drinks there either. The only thing which really surprised me is that almost EVERY woman goes topless.
The excursions they offer in the DR are not that great. I’ve done maybe 9 excursions throughout my trips to the DR and the only ones I can really recommend is the trip to Santo Domingo and swimming with the dolphins. The rest is just too commercial, too expensive and too far away.
Overall, I would really recommend this hotel to travelers going to the DR for the excellent food, drinks, the beach, the weather and the relaxation!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on Arena Gorda Beach in Punta Cana. * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach. * Within the Riu Resort, along with the Riu Palace Punta Cana, Riu Palace Bavaro, Riu Naiboa and the ClubHotel Riu Bambu. * The Splash Water World will be opened from 1st November 2016 * 3-storey building. Colonial style architecture. * Surrounded by 30,000 m2 / 36,000 sq. yards of palm groves alongside the beach. 50 km / 31 miles from Higey. 200 m / 660 ft. from Caribbean Street. 30 km / 19 miles from Punta Cana Int'l. Airport. * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Priceline, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Macao reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Macao Hotel Punta Cana
- Riu Palace Macao Punta Cana
- Riu Palace Punta Cana
- Rui Palace Punta Cana