“Rather pay to stay home then go there again”

Hotel Riu Palace Macao
Ranked #39 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
long island , new york
Reviewed April 23, 2005

Was suppsoe to be a honeymoon ya right, a peice of luggage was lost at the hotel and never found, was suppose to be in a jaquzzi suite get stuck in a standard room and they tell me the room was trashed from the people before then was told the sales department over booked. had no water oneday and the next had aunts all in my room and took the maids 2 hours to come up and clean it. Food please lived on french fries and ice cream. wife was sick everynight from the food. So i ask myself will i ever go back...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Stayed: April 2005
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (4,070)

Reviewed April 19, 2005

Let me begin by saying that we entered this vacation with a cautious eye. After reading the reviews on this website, I was more than curious about the lack of similarities between the reviews.
This was a great vacation. My wife and I spent 9 nights and 10 days in paradise. The service and resort was much more than we ever expected, especially for the price. The natives of the island were a warm and firendly people. The beach was incredible with a constant breeze to keep the heat stress down. We prefed the pool in the afternoon. The lack of many kids was great. The Bambu was crawling with the rugrats, and we were glad to have stayed at the Palace. The food was nothing to write home about. I had no problems finding things to eat, but my wife (who tends to be a little more on the picky side) wasn't as thirlled with the cuisine as I. A basic knowledge of Spanish is helpful. Rough English is spoken by most workers, but remember, you are in a Spanish speaking country. We would expect them to speak English, if they came here. Also, Jonny Bravo, of the Anamacion staff was awesome. He was a blast to be around and wasn't as crude as some of the others. Again, have no concerns if you are booking your trip. It is worth your time and money.

21  Thank Travelman269
Camp Hill, PA
Reviewed April 18, 2005

Never have my husband and I received such excellent service as at the Riu Palace, altho' we take a vacation at least once and sometimes twice a year. The attention was incredible..felt like a royal family!! The place was so beautiful and immaculate and service people were cleaning up regularly. The food was very enjoyable, altho' the beef was a bit tough, but we ate kid (very tender), and at the carving station had a whole grouper (not that we ate the whole thing!), a pig roast one night (best I ever had, including locally done), loved loved loved the pork chops. Don't know what they season them with, but they were scrumptuous. Wouldn't mind having some of their recipes...!! We did eat at the International Buffet each evening as there was such a variety to choose from that we felt we would be cheated had we only one entree!! Our waiters were so attentive and after the second day, brought me my favorite, Cappucino, as we sat down, without me even asking. The bread was great and the desserts were wonderful. and this from a woman who is basically a light eater!! Salad selections were terrific, too. They also make great pasta dishes and pizza, of which I was surprised to find pasta there. There were at least 9 stations and on Mexican night, had addt'l stations. For lunch we ate at the Caribe Grill and/or the pizzeria. Both sit on the beach by the ocean and is wonderful to have lunch and sit and take in the gorgeous sights. Breakfast was in the International Buffet and choice of food was quite varied. The beach is incredible, too. soft powdery sand, no shells or rocks to contend with, did not blow on us even during one windy day,' walking into the ocean was like walking on velvet and, except for one day when there was a storm out at sea which produced some minor seaweed, was very clear and a beautiful turqoise in color. Had perfectly beautiful weather every day, but can't say that was the Riu's doing! HaHa.
The service around the pool and beach is also exceptional. One day we were trying to move some chaises under the palm trees and one of the employees came up to us saying NoNoNo, and we thought, oops, we weren't supposed to move the chairs, but he meant, no, you don't do it, I do! He got us chairs and they also give you additional chaise pads to place on the chairs. We did also tip the housekeepers, waiters, and pool help as they do not make much money and truly deserved anything you give them. Each evening someone comes around to check the refrigerator which is stocked with beer, soda, water and the hard liquor bar, which had Beefeaters gin, rum, vodka and whiskey in. We are not drinkers, so to speak, but I like a drink before I retire to bed. The local people are very sweet and so happy, even tho' they have little compared to us and Europeans, Canadians, etc. We met some very nice people from France, Germany, Holland, Belgium, and altho' we always couldn't speak the same language, got our messages across. Due to some health problems my husband has, we only took one tour, altho' I wish I could have taken the Safari,. but one has to takewhat one gets! We also enjoyed the antics of the entertainment staff and the shows at night. We would definitely love to return to this wonderful island and hotel.

• Stayed: April 2005
25  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 11, 2005

Will defintely return next year to this hotel. My wife and I spent a week arriving on March 19. Upon arrival after the most efficient check in we've had in the Caribbean we were taken to our rooms upon which a manager called to ensure everything was ok...that's how the entire week of service went. Managers or sub directors continually enquired how we enjoyed our stay and they are always available at dinner if you choose to raise any concern, although at this hotel you would have to work to find a problem.
The standard room we had was very well furnished with no signs of wear, a decent size, and extremely clean.
The food is diverse, well prepared and up to both European and North American scrutiny. With several restaurants to choose from things never seem repetitive. You can never go wrong with the main buffet, incredible selection and very good.
Last year we stayed at the Punta Cana Beach Resort, which is the only none all inclusive resort in Punta Cana and enjoyed it very much. Although we enjoy a drink and fun I am not interested in sitting around for a week with some intoxicated loud opinionated individuals...not a problem here, everyone enjoyed themselves without being intrusive to others.
Great place to converse with people from other cultures. You may not be able to get too far into politics, but that's ok on a holiday. The resort doesn't seem to be as densely populated as others, more space and definitely more staff per guest. They are constantly cleaning.
Probably not the best resort for singles although you can go to the adjacent Bambu which seems to be less married. If you want a place where you want to see everyone wearing shirts at meals this is a good place. If having to wear a shirt at a meal in the Caribbean bugs you, then best to choose another resort.
We took Malaria, Typhoid, and Hepatitis medications. Weren't sick and never saw a mosquito. My wife's sister is a nurse and she, her son and her friend, another nurse were in Punta Cana the week previously and didn't take any meds and didn't have any problems.
One of the Assistant Directors, Larissa was so attentive, not just with us but with all her guests, that we will be returning to this resort next year. This resort has the food, service, activities and beach to make anyone's vacation a success.

18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Avon, Ohio
Reviewed April 11, 2005

My wife and I stayed with 3 other couples for 4 nights/5 days in April 2005. Although the beach was as good as we've experienced in the Carribean, we all agreed that there were several shortcomings.

The pool was too small and had no swim up bar. We find this to be a nice treat when traveling. The service was very good throughout the resort, but the drinks at the bars left much to be desired. We had a hard time getting the same drink (flavor, liquor choice), within a bar. Something as simple as Scotch /water was a real adventure. The bathrooms were located about 1/4 mile from the beach. The bar at the beach was a healthy walk. One noticable difference from other resorts I have stayed in in the Carribean, is that when you want water to drink, you get a 32 ounce bottle, not an 8 ounce glass. This would have been nice.

Also, there were no towels at the workout center. Take one from your room!

The men were not impressed with having to wear long slacks @ dinner and sitting outside. Very warm! This would be OK if you choose to dress business casual. My wife and I had the opportunity to eat dinner our last night at the Bambo. I wore shorts and a pollo shirt and was very comfortable. The buffet was much better then the buffet at our resort.

Overall, we can say we've been to Punta Cana, but we won't return. I perfer the Mexican Riveria.

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, MA
Reviewed April 10, 2005

My husband and I JUST returned from a week long stay at the Rui Palace and I am not one to go out of my way to write a review. Our stay was so perfect that I wanted to spread the word.

The rooms are beautiful- the food is diverse and delicious- the staff is top notch and friendly- the beach is gloriuos-the beaches are also well guarded so there are no locals hasseling you. The entertainment is fun- yoga and salsa lessons by the beach. The Animacion (entertainment staff) MADE the place! They were AMAZING and really went out of their way to make sure you were having a good time. Amazingly, after 2 days, they know you by name. Either of us got sick. We brushed our teeth with the big jugs of the water provided by the hotel-- the restaurants use purified water so all of the friuts and vegetables (even ice cubes) are safe.

One caution- DO NOT FORGET to bring your own suntan lotion/block. We forgot and ended up paying $18 usd for one bottle!!!

I want to comment on some of the bad reviews posted on this board...
1) There ARE alot of Europeans at this hotel. What's wrong with that? They add a fun flavor- and besides, we see Americans every day. They are not rude- there is just a language barrier. We found that a smile goes a long way and conversed (as best we could) with many of the French and German.
They have their sterotypes about us, like we have about them...but I found that they were suprised as we were about how we are all nice people.
2) The food- there as so many different types of food that cater to what all the different nationalites are used to. Okay- you can't get a bagel and cream cheese...big deal. Why not open your mind and experience new foods?

GO WITH AN OPEN MIND AND YOU WILL HAVE AN AMAZING VACATION!!!!

Stayed: April 2005
22  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 2, 2005

My husband and I spent 2 fabulous weeks at Riu Palace Macao March 9th to 23rd. Everything about the hotel was first class, everything we read in the other reviews, cleanliness friendlyness and excellent variety and standard of food, but none of the negatives I had read about before we travelled. We did not see a single mosquito, no bites at all, we didn't have any tummy upsets although I took everything with us, imodium peptobismol etc. and we didn't hear of anyone else at this hotel with any problems. I cannot rate this hotel highly enough we stayed at the Riu Palace Las Americas in Cancun last year when it was brand new and I didn't expect this one to live up to that standard, but we were not dissappointed, although it has been open for quite a few years now it is in excellent repair, very clean, and the grounds are just beautifull. The beach is amazing, even better than cancun, white coral sand and turquoise sea and palm trees mile after mile after mile. We went on three excursions while we were there, and the best by far is the Marinarium where you get to snorkle with sharks and sting rays on the coral reef just down the coast, then you sail back on the catamaran dancing to Bob Marley and drinking rum and coke, amazing morning out for about £40 each!!! There were very few english at this hotel about 10 while we were there, but it is never a problem. We visited the other Rius in this resort, there were more English families at the Bambu, I would say if your a couple the Palace is a must, families with children would find more facilities at the Bambu, and singles would prefer the much livelier Taino.
The Palace is only bookable through Portland Direct in the UK. Go and enjoy as we did!!!!

13  Thank annhinch