We recently returned from a week (29 May – 5 June 2009) at the Riu Palace Macao staying in Room 3232 overlooking the pool and courtyard. I have now stayed in five Riu Palaces, twice the Riu Palace Macao, the two palaces in Playa del Carmen, Mexico as well as the Riu Palace Punta Cana, and last week was one of the nicest stays we have had.
Why was this? The Riu Palace Macao, as others have posted, is a charming, smaller, colonial type old style hotel with superb service. In our last stay in December 2004 I had wished the food was a bit better. It is now much better, quite excellent, and the new Krystal Restaurant on the ocean is contemporary, handsome and with outstanding food and service. We loved the smallness, charm and ambeince of an old style hotel where one is very well attended to. In the evening there is much live music in the lobby bar from about 6:30-9:30pm.
My one suggestion to the Riu hotel chain is to update the Riu Palace Macao air conditioning and perhaps at some point update the rooms and bathrooms.
I want to commend two outstanding employees: TeoFilo in the Lobby Bar in the late afternoon and evenings and Virginio in the morning and evening buffets. Both of these men I found to be impressive in their work and service. I wrote the hotel manager a personal email noting their excellent service and care.
At the Riu Palaces one enjoys light excellent champagne the entire day and this I certainly miss. And let me not forget to mention the wonderful beach in front of the hotel and the many coconut palms under which one can sit so not to be burnt by the sun. If one patronizes Riu hotels regularly one can sign up for a Riu card which brings a few helpful privileges.
If you choose the Riu Palace Macao, enjoy!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on Arena Gorda Beach in Punta Cana. * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach. * Within the Riu Resort, along with the Riu Palace Punta Cana, Riu Palace Bavaro, Riu Naiboa and the ClubHotel Riu Bambu. * The Splash Water World will be opened from 1st November 2016 * 3-storey building. Colonial style architecture. * Surrounded by 30,000 m2 / 36,000 sq. yards of palm groves alongside the beach. 50 km / 31 miles from Higey. 200 m / 660 ft. from Caribbean Street. 30 km / 19 miles from Punta Cana Int'l. Airport. * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Despegar.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia and Jetsetter so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Macao reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Macao Hotel Punta Cana
- Riu Palace Macao Punta Cana
- Riu Palace Punta Cana
- Rui Palace Punta Cana