Hotel Riu Palace Macao
Excellence Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$457
Melia.com
$262
$230
  • Breakfast included
Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$414
$274
Melia.com
  • Breakfast included
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$325
$848
$557
Hotels.com
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
$315
Cancelon
$168
TripAdvisor
4,309 results
All reviewscaribbean streetpool barkrystal restaurantpalm treesel patiodominican republicthomson repjacuzzi suitea la carte restaurantssteakevening entertainmentanimation teammain restaurantplenty of sunbedsrelaxing holidayan adults only resortother resorts
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 13, 2008

What a fabulous place this resort was!. We were there for 2 fabulous weeks. The moment we arrived at this resort we were pampered. I find it hard to believe anyone would say anything negative. The animaction team...Johnny Bravo, Big John, Big Papi, EZE and Nanu made the day fun. They entertained with so much humour and made everyone feel special. Yes the shows were amateur , but they tried their best. After all it wasn't Vegas. Unlike some other resorts, the service was quick and efficient. We had no trouble that wasn't taken care iof immediately. They called our room every couple of days to ensure everthing was fine. Service was the best. Around the pool...beach...buffets..no matter where.We highly recomment this resort for food cleanliness and mostly service

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ferdon
Reviewed September 5, 2008

I´ve just arrived from Punta Cana. We had very pleasant week. The animation Was very good (Eze is just fantastic) and the employees are very friendly. The quality / price ratio is very good. I advise the hotel, because despite already had been in better hotels, the truth ais that paid more. An unforgettable week without doubt.
The show at the Bohem bar were also very good.

Portugal/Brasil enjoyed much!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank PedroSG
Reviewed September 3, 2008

Wednesday, September 03, 2008
Trip Advisor Member: Pittsburgh PA.
RE: Riu Palace Macao Dominican Republic, Punta Cana

I am just getting the time to write a review of our recent trip to the Dominican Republic, which occurred during the month of August 2008. Our vacation was booked through a local travel agency and I must say that we looked at all areas of the Caribbean, but we were drawn back to the Dominican Republic, Punta Cana area simply because of price, it was an affordable all inclusive family vacation for the four of us.

Departure: we flew a chartered direct flight from the US to the Dominican Republic on USA 3000, how nice this was. No lay over’s, no switching planes, no lost luggage and as soon as the plane was filled we were up and away. Drinks, snacks and movies were provided during this Flight. We landed in Punta Cana paid a $10.00 fee at customs to enter the country. We gathered our luggage and then we were directed to an air conditioned bus that took us directly to our resort.

Arrival: at the resort we were greeted with open arms, are rooms were ready and we were pampered from the very minute of our arrival. I will say we initially had problems with our rooms; they were beautiful, clean and well equipped, but very hot. The air condition was not cooling the rooms, we called to the front desk and complained, service staff was immediately sent to our room to investigate and repair the problem, but we were advised that the air condition could not be repaired immediately. Management asked us to tolerate the heat just for a day, for they had a surprise for us. The next day, I was call to the front desk and handed two room keys, our surprise awaited us. I was instructed to inspect the rooms and if I like them, they were ours at no additional charge. We inspected the rooms; My God they provided us with room upgrades that were beyond our expatiation's.

The grounds: were just beautiful; the various gardens were well groomed and well kept. The pool was beautiful and a good way to stay cool. The beach was very close to the resort and was simply beautiful, the sand was soft, silky and water was refreshingly clear with various shades of blue and green. Drinks were plentiful, beach services were good and a walk up bar was also very close.

Activities: Were available for all ages, such as water aerobics, beach aerobics (note) look for an instructor named Big Papi ,tell him Paparazzi said Hi. There was beach volley ball, games & activities for younger children, horse shoes, ping pong , bingo, weight rooms ,various water sports, dancing with instruction, nightly shows, live music in the hotel bars, casino, disco, shopping for the lady’s and there was free wi-fi in the lobby area of the hotel take your laptop if you feel the need.

Excursions: were available at additional cost, which was somewhat pricey. We did a whole day excursion to Saona Island, which very nice, we would definitely recommend and encourage you to experience this excursion, ask for Ramos’s. We spoke with other travelers who did other excursions and they too were very pleased with the excursions that they picked.

The people: I have not seen a more pleasant and harder working people in my entire life; we were treated like royalty and pampered in every respect. The service was impeccable, I once timed how long it would take to get a drink refill at dinner, and it took 20 seconds. I accidently dropped my fork, before I thought to ask for a new one; Miguel was standing there, smiling with my replacement. It would help to know a little bit of Spanish, but most understand English pretty well.

The food: I read some of the reviews prior to our departure, stating the food was bad. I just want to know what they eat that is so good. The food was awesome, plentiful with many choices you will not go hungry, I assure you. Drinks, good god, I hope you don’t have a problem with alcohol and if you don’t you will by the time you leave, just kidding. The drinks were very good; liquors were not top shelf but not bottom shelf either.

Safety: We felt very secure and comfortable at this resort and no time did I become alarmed, suspicious or concerned about anything given my background in law enforcement which causes me to be more aware and suspicious of everything and everyone. Security was present on the resort but out of site and not intrusive.

In Summary: “simply try it you will love it” the Riu Palace Macao in a fantastic place- the staff will make you feel like family, “a royal family”.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank Gwoppo
Reviewed September 3, 2008

I will just add a few quick points; most important is to keep in mind this is not home, and you will have a great vacation.

Get Malaria meds and Dukoral meds for travelers from your family Dr. We did and we had no problems. I don’t understand all the complaints. Take Imodium and Pepto Bismol with you.

This is not home; it’s a third world country. Brush your teeth with the bottled water provided by the hotel.

Watch the 3rd floor for A/C. Ask upon check in for a room with good air. The front desk is well aware there is a problem on the 3rd floor. My children moved out of 3362. That whole row of rooms has weak air conditioning.
Watch the elevators. We were stuck 6 times. Push 1 and walk down the stairs.

The strawberry daquries and margaritas do taste like cough syrup.

The food is not for everyone. We are not picky eaters so we got by. Even at home buffets are not known for great food. Most food is morphed into something else the next day. I wish they would concentrate more on quality than quantity. I hope they give the local people the leftovers. I’m not sure where all the littler comes from along the sides of the roads outside the resorts. Most seem to be Styrofoam containers. Some wine snobs wrote comments about the wine, which is Spanish. We had both red and white will all meals, and it was fine. I’m not really sure what they expected.

They assign a permanent table in the buffet dining room; look for a table under a ceiling fan.

The Italian Restaurant does not exist, as on the website.

There are lots of Spanish and European guests. Topless on the beach and a few at the pool.

The staff was excellent, maids, waiters, bar staff etc.

If you plan to sit by the pool, bring an iPod. The same music loop drives you insane after the first day.

The beach is beautiful, although not for snorkeling. The Caribbean side is much better, and very clear. The pool is very clean. There is sand in the pool, but there is sand everywhere near such a beautiful beach.

We did two excursions both ½ day, which was long enough. Swimming with the dolphins, which we felt was not really worth the money. A DVD of the experience is $30. You are treated more like cattle at this place.

Snorkeling in the coral reef and with nurse sharks and stingrays. These people really do a good job. They go out of their way to make sure everyone has a good time.

They seem to short sheet the beds, which are very hard but we all slept fine. I just wish they used mattress pads and fitted sheets, for cleanliness. No one likes to sleep on a bare mattress.

The Sunquest wait at the airport upon arrival to get assigned your bus took us about an hour at 9:00 in the evening. It was really hot, and you are juggling all your bags.
I’m not kidding about 1 ½ hours upon departure. Very unorganized, lots of busses get dropped off at the same time. Passengers get in the wrong lines. Also really hot, thank God for those big ass fans!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank tuesdaysgone
Reviewed September 2, 2008

This was my first trip to the DR, and also my first all-inclusive.
My bride and I stayed 8/23-8/30/08.

From the moment we entered the spacious lobby and were met with drinks, we felt very special. I don't know where some of the criicisms came from from other travelers. We had a standard room, which had a small terrace. It was spacious and had 2 queen size beds. The room was clean, the bathroom was not large but more than adequate. The furniture may not be brand new, but it was in good condition nonetheless. The mini bar was constantly stocked, and there are liquor dispensers in each room (no extra charge)

Let me start with the negatives:

1. Other reviewers as well a friends advised me to stay away from the restaurants. The Palace Macao has a Japanese restaurant and a Steakhouse. Although not bad, neither stand out. We were told we could visit 3 of the other 4 Riu resorts in the complex, but we didn't bother. The buffets made up for the restaurants. See comments later on.

2. The Room Service leaves a lot to be desired. They boast of 24 hour availability, but the menu leaves little to order. 2 salads, 2 sandwiches, nachos and cake are all there are on the menu.

3. The main entertainment is not very good. It's time to retire the Michael Jackson impersonator. The other "production" is Cabaret. Yes, the original broadway cast, or rather their voices.
The entire production is lip synched. The La Boheme theater
was about 85 degrees, and we left as soon as we heard Liza's voice coming out of someone else. They really need to update this.

Now, the positives:

1. The rooms were constantly cleaned, and the bed was turned down every night. The sheets were clean, towels were more than ample, and the bed was very comfortable.

2. It rained, so we had to resort to the TV. Other reviewers said they got a few poorly received channels. There were only 3 English speaking channels, but about 20 in all. The TV could be upgraded to newer sets, but that's not why you go to the DR.

3. The buffets-amazing! From breakfast through lunch and then dinner, the selection was unending, and the food was fresh and attractively displayed. Other food is available near the pool all day. There was no reason to make reservations at 8 AM, as many others said. Make friends with a maitre' d and you're in.

4. The pool is clean, certainly large enough, and there is much natural shade right near the pool for people like me who burn and don't tan. The beach is right there, and the clear water and cool sand make it a pleasure. Water sports are available, many for free. I tried to go parasailing 3 times, and they screwed up the reservation each time. Still I loved the beach. As there are many Europeans, some went topless.

5. Tours-there are many availabale from different tour operators. We took the Bavaro Runner tour, which is an all day excursion into the "real" DR. The tour guide, Mimi, was great-he
is full of funny stories. Beer is served on the open bus (no windows). You visit a sugar cane plantation, cigar stand, a school, a beach and a horse farm where riding is available for free. A Dominican lunch is included, and was a pleasant surprise-nice variety and good qualiy.

6. Finally, the people. The Dominicans are very friendly. Everyone I know said to bring a lot of cash for tipping. It's not really required. The service at the hotel was fantastic-a special thak you to my man Pedrito, who made sure we were happy.

Overall, we had a really nice time, and I'd visit another Riu property with no hesitation.

Andy M