Hotel Riu Palace Macao
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
4,308 results
All reviewscaribbean streetpool barkrystal restaurantpalm treesel patiodominican republicthomson repjacuzzi suitea la carte restaurantssteakevening entertainmentanimation teammain restaurantplenty of sunbedsrelaxing holidayan adults only resortother resorts
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Arrived 2/3/14 after a frustrating 24 hour flight delay. Staff were all friendly everywhere clean and room spacious.Beautiful beach setting! All the restaurants provided lots of quality and choice. We had champagne at every meal at no extra cost, and a mini bar in room restocked at no extra cost,although never stayed in room long enough to make use of!
Although the room was lovely it did have a musty smell,smoking was allowed everywhere much to my annoyance at times,and the swim up bar pool was frequented by very noisy Americans most of the day, so was not used by myself for obvious reasons...they drank copiously but never seemed to leave the pool for the toilet! However the other larger pool was quieter and more pleasant as was the beach of course.The entertainment was not great and the room where it took place also smelt musty and in need of an airing.For these little niggles I couldn't rate hotel as excellent,but would recommend staying here to anyone,and would stay again in future.The hotel also has a casino.

Room Tip: We were on 1st floor and disturbed by noisy guests returning to their rooms in the early hours,on a couple of occasions,a common holiday problem I think!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
7  Thank Pam M
Reviewed March 18, 2014

We arrived March 5 for seven nights. This is our second trip to the Riu Palace Macao, ( my 8th trip to the Dominican Republic). We were greeted by a welcoming front desk staff who appeared to know that we were returning. We were given a choice of rooms available and even handed two sets of keys to inspect the rooms before we chose which is not the norm for most resorts.
As before we experienced a wonderful time. The hotel itself is immaculate and the staff do all they can to make you comfortable and happy. Thank You, Danny, Dionis, Alex and Virginio!!
The food is better than most other resorts and my thoughts were confirmed by other guests we spoke to who have stayed at other high end hotels in the area. There is no problem getting reservations at the specialty restaurants and even though they are great I spent more evenings dining in the buffet since the choice and quality are exceptional.
I really enjoy the fact that the Riu is not an overly large resort, and has a more boutique feel to it, and its adults only so you don't have all the spring breakers running amok all over the place. It is a great place to relax and enjoy the beach, weather, pool and all the amenities at a leisurely pace and I would recommend it highly to all who are looking for that type of vacation.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Joe F
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Staff was just friendly enough. None went above and beyond as far as service goes. The food was edible, but typical of an all-inclusive resort. Bar drinks and all juices were extremely sweet, almost undrinkable. The best thing about RPM was the beach it's located on.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank EmilyC_4985
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Arrived 18th Feb for a 2 week stay. Check in was fine as was our room 3326-top floor,pool & beach view,twin Queen sized beds-as I had requested. It was spacious,very clean,good walk in shower,twin basins, loads of towels (changed too often),good sized balcony.
The Buffet restaurant was extensive with perhaps too much choice but generally good food-hot soups and delicious desserts in particular. We took full advantage of the non smoking Speciality restaurants and especially enjoyed the Krystal Fusion one. It was great to have waiter service and a limited menu in a calmer ambience. However,the wine on offer everywhere was not good,the red being better than the white.Otherwise,drinks were many & varied,maybe weaker than at home,except the whisky apparently.As I drank regularly I was quite grateful not to have a hangover! There was smoking almost everywhere which I hated.
The site itself was pleasant-good main pool and lovely beach with plenty of sunbeds. We were initially attracted to the swim up bar but realised fairly soon that it was frequented all day by people (Mainly from USA) with the noise level increasing in proportion to the alcohol consumption so we tended to avoid it-for health reasons.
The animation team were very enthusiastic and energetic and the evening entertainment better than in many hotels.Live music was performed regularly in the bar area with some dancing. The team were tasked with inviting guests to dance & seemed bored at the prospect.
The Thomson Reps,Andres & Monica, were brilliant, the best I've come across,friendly,helpful & good fun. We did 2 trips, the 'eco' cultural one which was interesting and the Caribe Cruise which was fun but both rather expensive.
Given the cost of the holiday I feel we had value for money & that it was the best Riu on the Complex

Room Tip: Top floor is 3 and is quieter. We had a sea view room but those overlooking the gardens were probably quieter as we had the noise from the pool bar in the day and the terrace bar at night.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Felicity T
Reviewed March 15, 2014

We've been enjoying all inclusives for several years & I think we're a pretty good judge of quality...I can never in good faith give anyone 5 stars because it may send the wrong signal of perfection...What I will say that for our first visit, the RIU is a very strong 4 star hotel property...Our recent stay @ the RIU Palace Macao stacks right up there for sure...It is possibly the best for the value of any we've been too...Awesome weather, clean hotel, very good service and very good food...The buffet is the best (great daily selections) I've seen in an all inclusive and surpasses any of the restaurant meals except maybe Krystal (great views and ambience)...A little side secret: Krystal is open for lunch! A nice quiet get away from the hustle and bustle of the lunch buffet...
The pool area is awesome and the beach is incredible! We had a standard room and it was clean & comfortable...I would imagine a pool view or Jr. suite would be just what the doctor ordered ...Bugs/insects were never an issue...
You can listen to all the nay-sayers on this forum all you want...I've come to believe that most just "have" to find something negative...My opinion is, if you're not looking for it- you won't find it...You will truly enjoy the RIU Macao...If you just want to motor down and take it all in, I highly recommend staying here...The "adult only" aspect is a vital perk...The staff will bend over backwards to accommodate you...The casino is OK for a little fun but expect to lose...Give the pool hand a few bucks every few days and he'll be sure your poolside towels and lounge chairs are waiting for you...One last tip: Bring your own plastic cups (like a 16 ozer) w/ lids...They will happily fill them anyway you want!! It's way better than their little plastic cups...Enjoy!!

Room Tip: See if you can upgrade to a pool view room!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple