My husband and I stayed at the Riu Palace Macao from December 27th through January 3rd. Upon arrival we were upgraded to a pool view room (had reserved the regular garden view). Our room was 3166 which was in the corner with a view of the pool.Got more of a roof view than actual pool view but we didn't care as we didn't go there to spend time in the room. Room was spotless and everything was in working order. Large bathroom with double sinks and spectacular walk-in shower with ample space for 2. Water pressure was great which I was quite surprised with and we never ran out of hot water, which has been the case with other resorts. Bed was heavenly!
The pool and the grounds were pristine except for some little caterpillars at the pool area which the maintenance staff would come by and broom away on a regular basis. Never had an issue finding chairs by the pool even though people would come down very early to reserve some. There always seemed to be enough for everyone even when the hotel seemed to be fully booked. Beach was beautiful and clean and the ocean was pure bliss. A bit chilly at first but once you were in, it was hard to tear yourself away. Waiters came around the pool and beach area for drink service very often which was absolutely fantastic! They always made sure we had drinks and were also quick to come by to pick up the glasses when you were done.
Cleaning staff cleaned the room and made sure eveything was restocked everyday including tissues, toilet paper, towels and drinks in the mini fridge. Got calls from the front desk every 2 days just to check to see if everything was to our standard. I must say that I was impressed with the level of service at this resort.
The entertainment staff were exceptional. They had live music on the patio before and after the shows till 11 pm which wasn't late enough as that was usually the time when people were just getting into it. Our only other complaint was that there were not enough female entertainers. The male entertainers would keep the females busy but there was not enough female staff to do the same for the males therefore women were the majority of participants in any of the activities. Had a great time regardless as they kept us up dancing and laughing.
Food at the buffet was incredibly tasty. Endless selection of meats, fish, fruit, veggies and deserts. I was a little worried as I am gluten intolerant but I never had an issue as there was always so much to choose from. Restaurant staff was always extremely friendly and accomodating. Never had an issue finding a table or getting service even with the resort so full. We tried the Krystal and the food was good but service time took long so we didn't try any of the other a la carte restaurants. We liked the ease of simply serving ourselves at the buffet. Wine was okay, not the best we've had but not the worst either. Drinks at the pool bar were good but a little watered down for my taste. I would recommend getting your drinks from the main bar the "Cubano", as they seemed to pack a better punch. Coffee was amazing, especially the Irish coffee (always a nice way to end a meal). My husband is an espresso drinker and he found that the best espresso came from the pool bar as the other places would add too much water hense making it too watery.
The New Years buffet was fantastic but the music was a little sub-standard. They had a live band play latin music for a few hours. The younger crowd rarely got up to dance this music. I would suggest also having a DJ with some current music to get everyone on the dance floor. We are used to spending New Years in Montreal at large parties so this was pretty low key for us. But we enjoyed ourselves as the entertainment staff did an exceptional job of getting people going.
All in all we were impressed and had a fabulous time. We will be going back to try the Riu Palace Bavaro or Riu Palace Punta Cana with our kids very soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on Arena Gorda Beach in Punta Cana. * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach. * Within the Riu Resort, along with the Riu Palace Punta Cana, Riu Palace Bavaro, Riu Naiboa and the ClubHotel Riu Bambu. * The Splash Water World will be opened from 1st November 2016 * 3-storey building. Colonial style architecture. * Surrounded by 30,000 m2 / 36,000 sq. yards of palm groves alongside the beach. 50 km / 31 miles from Higey. 200 m / 660 ft. from Caribbean Street. 30 km / 19 miles from Punta Cana Int'l. Airport. * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Macao reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Macao Hotel Punta Cana
- Riu Palace Macao Punta Cana
- Riu Palace Punta Cana
- Rui Palace Punta Cana