“awesome vacation”

Hotel Riu Palace Macao
Ranked #43 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Enjoyed this resort. Staff are always pleasant and ready to serve. THey are quick and efficient. Food was delicious in all restos. THumbs up to Riu personel.

The grounds are well kept but nothing spectacular.

The only hick is that they should add some extra flower and exotic plants.

But like a said it is minor compared to the staff and food.

Pool clean room cleaned well

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riu Palace Macao

Reviewed April 8, 2013

At this very moment I am sitting on the beautiful beach of the Riu Palace Macao!!! Let me tell you that if you are coming here for a holiday expect an amazing one. We were here 3 years ago when our son and daughter in law were married and we fell in love with it then. Since then they have extensively renovated it and it is beautiful. The staff are the best we have ever encountered and that says a lot as we have never had a problem with staff on any of our trips. I think the difference is that here they know how to have fun and in doing that you also have fun. IT is also now an all adult resort which we really enjoy. this is our first time booking a ten day holiday and we are already saying we really wish we had booked two weeks! I will post a further review when we return home, but right now I see a Piña colada heading my way - boy it is a tough life but someone has to do it!!!

CHris on holiday

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We spent a week at Riu Palace Macao and it was the most relaxing week of my life! We were there from March 19 to March 26 and have no complaints at all. The weather was perfect. The beach was gorgeous...like a postcard. Very soft white sand kept nice and clean.

We spent most of our days around the two pools enjoying the Animation Team and pool side service. Always easy to find a nice place to settle in first the day...lots of lounges and shade if you want it. The pools were always clean and refreshing.

Food...hands down our favorite thing here. We looked forward to every meal. From the buffet and the a la carted everything was fantastic! We tried many new foods and used the coffee bar regularly.

My fiance turned 40 while we were there and they treated him like gold on his special day. A bottle of rum delivered to our room with a nice card signed by the manager. And at the Steak House they had a table with balloons, sang to him, and gave him an ENTIRE delicious chocolate cake!

The grounds were constantly maintained. Our room was immaculate. In fact, our standard room had been upgraded to a gorgeous suite overlooking the pool!

We would return to this resort in a heart beat. Not a single complaint. LOVED Riu Palace Macao!!

Room Tip: Any room that over looks the pool. It is a smaller resort so as long as you ask for pool view you wi...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nicole K
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed here for the first week in March and had a fabulous time. We were here 2 years ago and although we loved it the resort was a little dated and worn. They have refurbished the whole resort and it is so beautiful! The staff as always were wonderful, friendly and so easy to deal with. We did both buffet and alacarte and the food everywhere was fabulous. The fact that it is now adults only was a great bonus. We have walked the beach both ways many times an this hotel by far has the best beach with the most trees and privacy. We would for sure go back again. I totally recommend this resort especially if you are over 40. Great!!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Laura H
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed at the riu palace as a english family of 3 aged 50 and 18-22 in the middle of march 2013. From beginning to end it was the most amazing holiday we have all ever had.
The check in was quick and we were allocated a room that was in block 3 that had a sea and pool view. The room itself was beautiful, very clean and had been renovated to a lovely standard, the shower especially was a dream! We had a double bed each which was also very nice. The fridge was restocked everyday, and a man came round with his trolley in the evening asking if there was anything else that you wanted - we never went without.
There were never any problems during the day finding a sun lounger - something that we were very impressed with as this had been a continuous problem on a lot of our previous holidays. The pool was brilliant especially the in pool loungers... Perfect to sunbathe on. The service was always good around the pool and you never went without a drink.
The hotel couldn't be more on the beach... Which was beautiful, the sand was super soft and the sea slightly wavey but nothing too much. Most stunning views were gained off this beach, definitely one of the best spots. There is also a cabin that you can hire canoes from and also book trips. We went on the sunrise tour which was lots of fun with chances to snorkel and swim in a natural pool on the other side of the coast which was breathtakingly beautiful! We also booked swimming with dolphins with this company and had the best time as it was a dream for us all. It was a truly memorable experience which was also at a good price compared to other prices that we had previously researched.
We dined at all four of the a la carte restaurants ... Our favourites being the steak house and Krystal, but all were a very enjoyable meal. The buffet was a brilliant standard, the best we had come across, with always a great variety of foods for all pallets. Chocolate fountain - YUM. The service was also impressive for all meals (breakfast,lunch,tea) in the buffet and there was a drinks service, and after a few nights the waiters know your usual and bring it without asking.
The cocktails were lovely and we enjoyed attempting to try them all, favourites include the traditional cosmopolitan, passion dream, sunrise and costa caribe. Also, the champagne (cava) was all inclusive.
The afternoon coffee we had in cappuccino each day was lush with a good coffee menu and sweet treats to have.
The animation team work very hard throughout the day, and provide a very funny show at night!! We also went on the kitchen tour which was interesting and showed a very clean well organised kitchen.
Two of us had a 'relaxing massage' on the beach which was very enjoyable and only 30$ each. The sound of the waves crashing so close by definitely added to the relaxing element.
The management are very visible, always wondering around checking on the everyday functioning of the hotel and chatting with guests.
The hotel may seem quiet at times but I believe it to be due to the adults only aspect, which is one of the main reasons we chose this particular hotel, and actually made our holiday more enjoyable.
Overall there was nothing that we could fault with the hotel, it was a very special holiday in a very special hotel that we definitely hope to be returning to!!
If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.
Tip - try Krystal for the lunch menu... We went three times and had lovely 3 course meals. However it appeared that no one knew about the lunch service and we were always only one of the few tables occupied.

Room Tip: Block 3000 pool facing
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank 641AnnaB
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I stayed at Riu Palace Macao the last week of March and had a great time. My room was very nice and spacious and the bathroom was beautiful. I didn't have a great view but that didn't bother me. I did notice that it was a much older crowd compared to other places I've stayed. Nothing wrong with that but just saying. The staff was very nice and the "animación" group did their best to involve you in games. I even won the women's archery tournament one day....ok, I was the only woman. I only went to one of the nightly shows put on by the same group. It wasn't great but weirdly entertaining. Oh, in your room there is a bar on the wall with rum and vodka and something else. The wait staff did an excellent job of working the pool area to get drinks. I mostly at my meals at the buffet. I dressed casual in nice shorts/shirts. You saw pretty much every type of dress from very dressed up to extremely casual. At the other restaurants they do not allow shorts or short sleeves for the men at least. I only went to one of those: Pancho's. I had the surf and turf. I liked it but have had better. But Mateo, one of the managers, is the best. Very friendly, sweet and professional. He took very good care of me whether at Pancho's or the buffet. If you are at all interested in learning to scuba, they offer a free introductory lesson in the pool. But you need to schedule because I could never catch the guy--Roger. But I did see him giving lessons and he seemed very patient and nice. Just beyond the pool on the beach there is a blue dive shop where you can sign up plus they have other things as well. If after to the free pool lesson you're still interested, for $95 you can continue the lesson and then go out on the boat for scuba in the ocean. Overall I would absolutely recommend this hotel and return in the future.

Room Tip: My room was very quiet but like i said not a great view/3992. By the way, all the rooms start with...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Laura W
Reviewed April 6, 2013

While staying at the palace Macao for two weeks , from march 16 to the 30 th , and having exceptional weather , we could not have asked for anything better . First of all the service was above and beyond anything we have ever seen at any resort . Just to name a few that I could remember their names was Heriberto , Hector , José ( at the front desk) and Karen (cocktail waitress). Every time we went out to supper or went to the lounge for a drink, we were always greeted with a friendly smile or a nice handshake . The first week we tried all the restaurants and they were all excellent !!! Then we tried the buffet and that was also above and beyond our expectations . They really did an amazing job to make sure that there was different food every night and always tasted great !
Our room overlooked the pools and had a great view of the ocean . The chambermaid was very efficient didn't speak a lot of English , but then of course we were in there country and thought maybe I should learn to speak their language . The room was very spacious and very clean .We had a king size bed and it was really comfortable .
Someone came every morning to stock up our mini fridge and at night another chambermaid would come in and give us some face cloths if they were running low in the morning and just to check if we needed any other service done .
The beach was gorgeous and lots of lawn chairs to choose from . Plenty of palm trees for shade . The water was the calmest we had ever seen compared to Mexico and Cuba . Great for snorkelling or just relaxing in the water .
We did some shopping at the street next to the Macao and we found the prices were high but they didn't mind bargaining with us which was ok .
I would highly recommend this resort !

Room Tip: Ocean view !
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro
#56 of 112 in Punta Cana
Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar Green Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Macao? Share your experiences!