Hotel Riu Palace Macao
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
4,309 results
All reviewscaribbean streetpool barkrystal restaurantpalm treesel patiodominican republicthomson repjacuzzi suitea la carte restaurantssteakevening entertainmentanimation teammain restaurantplenty of sunbedsrelaxing holidayan adults only resortother resorts
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 12, 2013

My wife and I just returned from our 12th visit to Punta Cana. This was our first stay at Riu Palace Macao and we were thoroughly pleased with every facit of the trip. We were steered toward the Riu Macao by our travel agent and were most pleased. Our biggest pleasure was with the complete staff from housekeeping, entertainment (Naomi), the bartenders, the lobby staff, and all of the wait staff in the resturants. Kudos to Roberto in El Patio. We wittnessed a fall by an older lady on the beach and the immediate response by John of the entertainment staff was heartening as he went to her aid by first making sure she was not injured and then by helping her to her feet, wiping off the sand with a towel and then locating chairs for her and he two friends.
Our room was always cleaned to perfection with fresh towels and stocking the fridge many times a day. The room temperature was very simply maintained.
All of the resturants had a nice selection of food always serving something agreeable to our taste. The best kept secret on this property is the lunchtime meals at the Krystal. If you are tired of the lunch buffett Krystal serves wonderful entrees from the menu which changes daily.
The beach is beautiful with adequate beach chairs.
Also remember to take in the sunset from the third floor balcony on the west wing.
We will be back.

10  Thank annualvisitors
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Just returned from a 6 night vacation at the Riu Macao. It is an adults only which is why we chose it. (We are in 40's, not 60's) But it is older adults mostly. So at night Bingo was the entertainment. A little more sedate than I would have liked. Food was ok. Hardly anyone signs up for specialty restaurants, most go to buffet. Wines were just bad. Most other drinks extremely sweet. But the staff, hotel, grounds were very nice. Unfortunately we had windy cloudy days, but when the sun came out it was beautiful. The beach had the finest sand. Staff extremely smiley, but most did not speak English well. attempted to go to neighboring Riu resorts, as website said we could, we were told we were not allowed to use other Riu resort facilities and politely told to go to the macao.

• Stayed: March 2013
4  Thank chrise343
Reviewed March 12, 2013

First I will summarize the stay, and as with most of my reviews, I try not to rehash all the same stuff, but instead secondly, will put in information that I looked for and couldn't find, so hopefully that it will help others.
First the stay: Great rooms (Recently redone), clean, roomy, nice balconies. We had a standard room. The bed was not the most comfortable, and I would just think at this price point they could upgrade those beds, seems like an easy fix (not necessarily a cheap one though) One thing to consider: If you go with a friend, know that the showers in the room have glass block b/w the shower and the bedroom area. The only reason I mention is we had a pair of good friends of the opposite sex sharing a room, and well, things can get real odd, real quick. Having said that, also know that while this is an adults only (YES!!!!), they also try to cater to Couples, vs girls or guys "trips".
The hotel itself is very nice. Not real large, to to small. Always clean. Great location (25-30 mins bus/cab ride from Punta Cana Airport), and as others have said, i think the nicest beach in the immediate area (I walked in both directions for quite a distance so I can literally confirm this). I went (I believe south) as far as the VIK and Ocean resorts, and (north) to the Hard Rock. Quick note on this Hard Rock joint. We went in (again, we walked down the beach) to find some Hard Rock shot glasses. Well, mission accomplished, the only problem, Security was not happy with us. They wanted to make us take a cab back to the RIU but i convinced them to let us back to the beach so we could walk. It was a little weird, and over the top (good to know if you like super tight security).
Food - pretty good stuff. We ate at all the A la cartes (no silly limits based on length of stay or any such nonsense), just straight forward reservations which were pretty easy to make.
Service - just fantastic. I noted it several times to the folks in our group (we had a group of 11)
Now for some info that are in other reviews and some that might not be. We booked through Orbitz and included the airport to hotel transfer. This worked well, but we made a couple of stops on the way, and we seemed to be the second stop for the return, in short, I think i will just cab it next time. Also, yes, you pay $10 dollars at the airport, but there is no fee to leave -- I do find it funny that folks think there is.
Back to the resort. Yes, the pools do close at 6. Which at first I couldn't believe but then you realize why; Some folks have a hard time controlling themselves by the pool bar. So they close that bar and the pool. They then treat the pool. All this to keep folks sane, safe, and the pools looking fantastic - if you ever been to one where the pool bar does not close like this, you will know what i mean. In short, after day 1, i was fine with the pool closing at 6.
Nightlife is a little low key, but the Casino for all of the Rius in the immediate area is here at the Macao (btw, make sure you pronounce this correctly or be ready to be corrected). I have heard mixed reviews on this casino, and did not notice many big winners. It is a casino, so dont think your gonna walk in there and come out rich. :) I do wish there was a bit more entertainment, but you could always find something - show, local band near lobby bar, etc. Somebody said it best, it is what you make of it. We even cruised over to the Riu Bambu and checked out the sports bar. I never made it to the nightclub. Also know, drinks are not included at nightclub and MOST but not all drinks are included in the Casino. I attempted to find out why, but didnt have much luck - language barrier.
One thing I couldn't figure out was how to get a kayak etc. I mean, I found the place where you got it from, but the guy told me they were booked up and i would have to book one for the next day. Seemed confusing since they were right there on the beach not being used so I just walked away, didn't have the patience to figure it out.
Anyway, I think that covers it all, over all, a great place. Especially if you want adults only, a very relaxed, yet still fun and entertaining vacation. Along with good food, great room, and I cant say it enough, the best stretch of beach by far going in both directions. Hope you found this review helpful.

Room Tip: Our room was nice, 3rd floor facing the neighboring Bambu resort. Could lean over and look right and see the water.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
12  Thank beardown_pdv
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Have just returned from Riu Macao...had 7 wonderful days and would definitely recommend this resort...
Last year we stayed at the Gran Behia Principe Esmerelda...had a fabulous time and was a little worried to try another resort but went for it anyway....we were thrilled as it was even better!

The beach is beautiful and that was why we returned to Punta Cana...at the Esmerelda there was always a shortage of beds on the beach...you had to be up early to get one...at the Riu Macao never a problem plenty of beds at any time :)
Didn't hang out at the pools can sit beside a pool any time...can't sit on a beautiful beach to often so made the most of it....got a little crazy around the pool bar from 5...6pm but was soon quiet when they closed at 6pm...

The staff...amazing....so helpful and friendly...NEVER HAD TO WAIT FOR ANYTHING...We were very spoilt :). Saw the boss lady everyday walking the resort to make sure everything was running smoothly...

The food...Fantastic...If you could not find something you liked there must be something wrong with you! Have never seen such a selection and presented so beautifully...hot plates:) at every meal never found this before...made me very happy I hate putting my food on a cold plate!

Did have a bad tummy for 24 hours...I think probably because I wanted to try everything and I did...Octopuse! ... Goat stew! ...usually I am not to adventuress but I had to try all this amazing food...after my tummy settled I went right Back at it hehe. A good selection of alcohol probably didn't help either! Had Champagne with breakfast..lunch and dinner oh yeah!

The desserts were to die for along with the chocolate fountain...my husband sat just watching me and shaking his head...I was having a blast :)

Cleanliness...they were cleaning this resort from morning until night...also our room cleaned daily beautiful towels am and pm...flowers on the bed and in the bathroom every thing just lovely...Thank you Adrianne :)
Stayed in room 3009 overlooking Caribbean street...was worried it would be noisey but it was fine

Entertainment crew so very friendly making sure everyone had a good time...we didn't join into their games..not our thing...although I did play Bingo one evening and I won a t.shirt...

Entertainment a little cheesey...but they work hard to provide a good show...and I did enjoy their energy and the music at the evening shows..

Had some fun in the Casino every evening just playing the 1c machines...watched many people on the tables...wow they do like to throw their money away!

So there you go....enjoy yourself and have fun at the Riu Macao...you won't be dissapointed...:)

7  Thank CanadaAngelas
Reviewed March 12, 2013

After six trips to DR, decided to try this newly renovated adults only property. After reading the reviews my first response to the negativity, is "Come back to Earth and get a life"!!
No really, you had to go to great lengths and and be supremely anal to find fault. BTW there is seaweed in the sea and drinking at bars, and people do like to laugh and have fun.
This resort is 1, Immaculate with staff cleaning constantly. 2, The food is best I have ever had in an all inclusive, I was sorry I didn't have more time to eat at buffet as I tried all specialty restaurants. 3, as close to top shelf liquor you can get, thank you Danny. Juan, Theo, Heribierto, and the rest of you great bartenders. 4, Yes the pool bar gets noisy at around 3PM till closing, THANK GOD!! Had a ball and tons of laughs with you all. NJ Crew, Minnesota, Fargo crew, Doug and friends from Canada, and the rest. You made our trip a lot of fun. If you didn't like pool bar then go to "Old People Pool" I say that affectionately since I'm over 60. 5, the rest of staff, what can I say all happy and "Excellante" These folks go out of their way to make you happy, from front desk to animation staff especially ALEX! Also want to thank all Maitre D's, Waiters, and bus people for making every meal a pleasure. Food was great everywhere, and thats coming from a NY italian who is picky as hell!!!
Finally, I will come back and stay longer. BTW spent my birthday there and staff saw that from questionaire at check in (took me some time to figure out), the room was decorated with birthday wishes, and cake at dinner, Wow!
In conclusion always take reviews with a grain of salt, sometimes people can get vicious when they don't get their way and their sense of self importance is not satisfied and placated. Thank You Riu Palace Macao for a wonderful experience!

Room Tip: Rooms on 3rd floor are very nice.
12  Thank Joe F