“New Year at Macao..”

Hotel Riu Palace Macao
Ranked #42 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We spent a New Year week at the Riu Palace Macao and had a wonderful time. Service was great– the cleaning personnel, the waiting staff, the entertainment – all of them were very professional, punctual, there when you need them. The food was absolutely superb, in our opinion. I know, we all have different tastes, but I have never vacationed at the place where the food in both taste and presentation, the whole experience was at so high level.

So, everything was good and we really enjoyed our time, except for the very beginning – checking in. We were greeted at the check in counter by a young man named Angelo. I read some recommendations on this site about the accommodations at the Riu Palace Macao, and I asked him if it would be possible to get a room at a higher floor. According to many comments at this site, higher floor rooms were much quieter. Angelo kept smiling, but main message in his mumbling answer was that he was not sure if it would be possible. We all know this technique that is successfully employed by the car salesmen, “I need to check with the manager”. So did Angelo, and after coming back to us with his eyes running around left-right, right-left, he mumbled something like, “I may be able to do something if you thank me”. We asked him directly, “How much?” He did not give any specific number, but just confirmed the request for thank you banknote.

After that, to our surprise in self-incriminating move he put in front of us a printed form with a headline “Free Upgrade” and proceeded with explanation of how it would all supposed to work between him and us. He said that the room he might be able to give us costs $30/day more, which would come to $210.00 for 7-day stay, but we would not charge you that. He made a heavy pause, looked at us and said, “Just thank me”. We put $20-bill under that “Free Upgrade” form and he promised that tomorrow the room would be ready for us around 11PM. Meanwhile, today we had to go to “the only room” they had.

Now, you may say, “Why are you writing about all this crap? You cooperated with his request, so leave him alone.” This is true, and I had no other intentions until the next morning. We got the keys for the new room in the morning, took a look and decided to move. We packed all our stuff and carried it over. Then, we went down to the check in counter to return the keys from the original room. Angelo met us with a smile and asked, “Do you like your new room”. We said, “Yes, we do, thank you. We have already moved”. And then Angelo said, “So, if you like the room, would you give me $10 more for my manager?” And that was when we decided to let you all including Angelo managers at the check in counter know what kind of crook he really is.

7  Thank BusinessTravelerCT

Reviewed January 15, 2013

my husband and I and three other couples stayed here jan 6-13. Service was great, cant complain about the food. Rooms were very nice and kept clean. The swim up bar was fun. The beach was beautiful. Unlike some of the reviews said, the water bottles were sealed and I saw them taking them out of the plastic wrap they came in in bulk quantities. Non of us got sick except from drinking too much! The snorkling trip was not worth the money we spent, especially because it was windy and they dont provided refunds. Bring a wod of $1 us. to tip. would return again.

Room Tip: ask for rooms close to pool, saves you walking far back and forth if you need something
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank jennyb3486
Reviewed January 15, 2013

My Partner & I Have Recently Returned From A 14 Night Stay At The Riu Palace Macao. We Arrived On Christmas Day And Celebrated The New Year In The Dominican Republic. We Arrived At 4PM And Was Warmly Welcomed By Very Friendly And Attentive Reception Staff And A Beautiful Welcome Drink. Our 3rd Floor Room Was Ready When We Arrived; We Hadn’t Bothered To Upgrade Our Room And We Were Very Happy With The Location Of “3396”; We Over Looked Lots Of Palm Trees And Through Them We Could See The Riu Bambu Next Door; Which Was Fine With Us!! We Settled Into Our Room And Unpacked. The Room Was Spotless; And Just Like The Pictures In The Brochure. The Bathroom Was Lovely With The Double Sinks & Super Large Shower. The Maid Had Even Created A Pretty Towel Decoration With Flowers. We Had A Delicious Plate Of Fruit Waiting For Us On Our Arrival To The Room. The Room Was Equipped With A Coffee Maker, In Room Safe, Iron, Hair Dryer, A Flat Screen Satellite TV; Liquor Dispenser & Mini Bar Which Was All Included. Also Plenty Of Room To Unpack Two Weeks Worth Of Belongings! The Bed Was Massive And We Both Found It Very Comfortable; I Do Believe The Bedding Was Changed Every Other Day Which Was More Than Satisfactory. The Maids Work Very Hard; Our Room Was Cleaned Every Day Without Fail To A Very High Standard; We Vacated Our Room Each Day Between 7:30AM-9:00AM And Hung The “Please Clean My Room” Sign On Our Door And By 3:00PM-5:00PM On Our Return; Our Room Had Been Cleaned. You Could Have Had Clean Towels Every Day If You Wanted; But We Tried To Use Ours A Couple Of Times Before Leaving Them On The Bathroom Floor To Be Changed. The Mini Bar Was Stocked Full Everyday With Bottled Water, Pepsi Regular/Diet, Fizzy Orange & 7-Up. On Our First Night We Went Down To The Buffett “El Patio” For Dinner As Soon As It Opened At 6:30PM As We Wanted To Get An Early Night For A Fresh Start The Morning. The “El Patio” Buffet Is Open For Dinner From 6:30PM Until 10:30PM In The Summer. We Were Welcomed By Very Friendly Well Dressed Waiters. The Food In The “El Patio” Buffett Was Great; We Could Always Find Plenty Of Things We Liked. Pasta, Pizza, Meats, Fish, Potatoes’ – Jacket & Roast, Mash, Chips, Salad, Vegetables’, Fruit. Selection Of Breads. Pudding Was Just As Good With Lots To Choose From And Always Presented So Nicely. After A Great Nights Sleep; In The Morning We Headed Down To The “El Patio” For Buffet Breakfast At About 8AM As We Were Due At Our Welcome Meeting With Our Rep “JC” At 9AM. The “El Patio” Is Open For Breakfast From 7AM Until 10:30AM This Is The Only Place You Can Get Breakfast At The Macao; Other Than Continental Breakfast At The “Pancho” Between 10:30AM – 12:00Noon But We Never Ate Here At That Time.
The “El Patio” Was Fantastic No Need For Other Places To Serve Breakfast; The Room Is Huge With A Lot Of Capacity. There Was So Much Too Choose From; On Our First Morning We Well And Truly Over Done It; We Kept Seeing Things We Liked! Cooked Breakfast, Omelettes’, Toast, Waffles, Fruit, Yogurt, Pancakes, Cereal, Pastries, Cakes, Muffins, Tea, Coffee, Chocolate Milk, So Many Different Juices’ And Much Much More!! We Were Totally Impressed! We Had Decided To Tip On This Trip As We’d Like To Show Our Appreciation; And Are Very Much Aware That The Wages In Dominican Aren’t That Great. I Feel The Staff Don’t Expect You To Tip And I Think You’d Still Get Fantastic Service If You Didn’t. We Did See People Not Tipping And The Staff Appeared To Be Fine With That. We Did Decide We Wouldn’t Go Over Board With Tipping Just $1 Was Plenty For Your Waiter At Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner. A Couple Of Days In We Left $5 For The Maid And Did The Same Another Two Times Through-out Our 2 Week Trip. On A Couple Of Days We Sat All Day Around The Pool And Were Served By The Bar Staff; Who Work Incredibly Hard; Always With A Smile On Their Face; And Are Very Quick To Befriend You. We’d Roughly Tipped Every Couple Of Drinks They Brought Over. We Attended Our Welcome Meeting With Our Thomson Rep “JC”; We Found Him To Be Very Helpful And Friendly. He Told Us About The Macao & Also About The Other 4 Resorts Within The Riu Complex. We Were Allowed To Eat Lunch, Drink & Attend Evening Shows At Both The Riu Bambu & Naiboa, But Were Only Allowed To Look Around In The Riu Palaces Punta Cana & Bavaro. We Looked Around The Other 4 Riu Properties’ But Never Went To Lunch Nor To An Evening Show. We Met Other Vacationers’ Who Said The Bambu’s Entertainment Was Much More Livelier Than Ours; So Great To Have That Option If You Wanted A More Livelier Night. After Our Mooch Around We Were Very Pleased That We Had Chosen The Macao; There Were A Lot Of Kids In The Other Properties; Even Though It Did Appear That The Palaces Had Adults Only Sections Around The Pool Areas. Kids Are Great; But Not When They Aren’t Yours; And You Are Away For A Quite Relaxing Holiday In The Sun; And Just Want To Be Pampered And Carefree. Which The Macao Certainly Allowed Us To Do So; The Macao Is A Small Resort; But This Is No Means A Bad Thing; Everything Is A Short Walk Away, The Macao Is A Very Relaxing, Peaceful, Beautiful And Tranquil Spot; And Is Set On A Stunning Stretch Of Beach. He Also Told Us About “Caribbean Street” A Safe Shopping Street Located Within The Riu Complex; But Be Prepared To Haggle Our Rep Said You Could At Least Half The First Price They Come Out With. They Had Some Great Oil Paintings For Sale; In The End I Brought 5! If I Had Paid What They Wanted Me To Pay; It Would Have Set Me Back ₤350, But In The End I Got All 5 For ₤60; You Just Have To Be Strong And Know What You Want To Pay And Just Walk If They Don’t Bite; Because They’ll Soon Run After You! If You Are After Cigars & High End Jewellery You Must Visit “RCC” – Reserva Cristobal Colon; “JC” Arranged This For Us; We’re Were Picked Up For Free And Taken To This Lovely Boutique And Was Collected Again 1 Hour Later. The People Weren’t Pushy; Just Very Friendly And Helpful A Lovely Experience.
Our Rep “JC” Also Told Us About Excursions’ They Had On Offer, Wow What A Selection. We Chose The “Adventure Boogies Cap Cana” Trip To Do On Our First Week Which Was $75 Per Person; On This Trip You Have A Buggie Between Two Of You And Everyone Drives Off In Convoy; A Couple Of Staff Members Wizz Off In Front Ready To Film & Take Pictures Of You Through-out Your Journey. We Headed To Our First Stop At Juanillo Beach Where We Stayed For Around 20 Minutes; Which Was Stunning. We Then Headed Off In Convoy Again To Our Second And Final Stop At A Breathtaking Blue Lagoon Which We Were Allowed To Dive Into And Swim Around, Before Heading Back Again. I Do Believe It Was $50 To Purchase All The Images & The Video On DVD. We Very Much Enjoyed This ½ Day Adventure Trip And Both Agreed It Was Reasonably Prised. The Second Trip We Decided To Go On Was The Dr. Fish Ocean Spa Which Was $149 Per Person; We Thoroughly Enjoyed This Half Day Of Pure Luxury Pampering; It Was Lovely That They Didn’t Over Pack It; Just About The Right Amount Of People; And A Big Plus It Was Adults Only. We Received A Lovely Back Massage, A Foot Detox, Electric Bed Massage, Floating Bed Relaxation And Of Course The Stop Off At The Floating Aquarium For A Fish Pedicure; Where The Garra Rufa Fish Use Their Mouths To Polish The Rough Areas Of Your Feet. A Photographer Had Been Snapping Away The Whole Time On The Boat And For A CD Of All The Images I Think Cost $20. We Treated Ourselves To A Lovely Massage On The Beach; The Two Ladies Where Very Friendly And We Both Loved Our Massages; I Do Believe It Cost Around $70 For Both Of Us To Have A 30 Min Back Massage, But It Was Well Worth It.
We Attended Two Evening Shows At The Macao On Our Holiday The First Was The Circus Show At “Copacabana” The Hotels Outdoor Open Air Theatre; The Show Was Great, Very Entertaining. The Circus Company Were Very Talented People! The Other Show We Had To See Was The Michael Jackson Show; This Time The Show Was In The Indoor Theatre. The Show Was Fantastic! Very Talented Cast; The Main Guy Was Astounding He Had All The Moves Down To A Tee. The Shows Start At 10PM Every Night. They Have Live Bands Playing In The Bar “La Boheme” Every Night Which Really Created A Great Atmosphere. “La Boheme” Was Open From 7PM Until 12Midnight. There Was Only A Couple Of Nights We Stayed Down Late In The Evening; New Years Eve Being One Of Them. The Hotel Really Went To Town On New Years Eve. None Of The Specialty Restaurants Were Open But They Really Laid On A Very Special Evening In The “El Patio” Buffet, Every Lady Was Given A Rose And Everyone Was Given A Party Pack To Help See In The New Year! They Had Cooked Up Some Extra Special Dishes. At Midnight We Watched Fireworks Off One Of The Corridor Balconies Not Sure If They Were The Macao’s Fireworks Or Next Door In The Bavaro; But Even So We Had A Fantastic New Years Eve. We Ate In All Of The Specialty Restaurants Some More Than Once; You Could Either Go For The First Sitting At 6:30PM Or The Second Sitting At 8:30PM. The First One We Went To Was The Steak House The “Pancho”; The Starter Was A Chicken Salad And A Sea Food Platter To Share Between Two; For The Main My Partner Chose The Steak And I Chose The Surf And Turf (Lobster) This Came With Veg, Jacket Potato And A Couple Of Different Sauces. For Pudding We Both Had The Triple Chocolate Desert – The Food Was Cooked To Perfection! The Staff Were Great And Very Attentive; So Much So We Went Again In The Second Week. The Following Night We Went To Dinner At The Italian The “Volare” For The Starter You Had A Good Selection Of Italian Foods Such As – Breads, Cheese, Cold Meats Etc. For Mains My Partner Chose A Chicken Dish And I Chose A Beef Dish. Then For Pudding We Both Had The Citrus Moose; Again The Food Was Cooked Wonderfully – We Went Back In The Second Week. We Went To The Japanese One Of The Evenings; Stupidly I Didn’t Look At The Menu Before Booking. The First Two Courses Were Raw Fish; Which Sadly I Just Picked At; But For The Main Course I Had A Beef Dish And My Partner A Chicken Dish. For Pudding We Had Really Yummy Ice Cream In Batter. Other Than The First Two Course We Loved It; Again Very Well Cooked Food. It Was Our Own Fault I Should Have Check Out The Menu First. We Didn’t Go Back As We Didn’t Want To Waste All That Food Again; But People Who Were Into Their Sushi Really Enjoyed Eating Here. The “Krystal” The Gourmet Restaurant To My Knowledge Was Only Open At Lunch And Not For Dinner During Our Stay, So This Was A Lovely Treat For Lunch Time To Be Waited On; And Made A Change From The Lunch Buffet. You Didn’t Need To Book For Lunch Time; And Also You Could Go In Casual; The Other Speciality Restaurants’ In The Evening Are Strict On Men Not Wearing Shorts; So Remember Your Trousers! In The “Krystal” For A Starter We Both Chose The Chicken Salad Which Was Lovely, My Partner Then Had The Burger And Chips Whilst I Had The Surf And Turf (Prawns). For Pudding We Both Had Profiteroles’. The Food Here Was Lovely, The Location Of The Restaurant Was Beautiful Set On The Beach; We Ate Here Again For Lunch. The Drinks Through-out The Hotel Were Great – Alcoholic And Non-Alcoholic Cocktails Were Fantastic. Anything You Wanted Where Ever You Were Was Not A Problem. The Coffee Shop Was Great; Such Lovely Tea’s And Coffee’s; Also It Was A Life Saver When It Came To Taking Something To Eat On Trips; They Had Ready Made Sandwiches In Containers There For You 24 Hours A Day.
We Ordered Room Service Twice During Our Stay And Our Order Was With Us In Under 15 Minutes’; Even At 12Midnight & 1:30AM!! Food Was Great... Club Sandwich & Chips Did The Trick For A Midnight Feast!
Service And Attention To Detail Is Apparent Through-Out This Hotel. One Night In The Dinner Buffet; My Partner & I Had Just Received Our Drinks; And I Noticed A Crack In His Glass; So I Felt It To Check It Wasn’t Sharp, Which It Wasn’t And Didn’t Appear To Be Leaking; We Then Both Got Up And Checked Out What Was On Offer That Evening To Eat, We Sat Down And Started To Tuck In; That’s When I Noticed The Glass Had Been Changed. They Must Have Noticed Me Looking At It For A Brief Moment And Rushed Over To Check It Out Once We’d Got Up And Away From The Table. All The Waiters In This Hotel Are Fabulous Always Willing To Please. By Day Two We Had Befriended A Breakfast Buddy, Lunch Buddies & A Dinner Buddy And Of Course The Pool Bar Staff; All Who Had Memorised What You Like To Drink And How Much! Staff Are All Very Friendly, Helpful, Attentive, Happy & Fun!! Perfect!! Its Also Great To See The Male And Female Mangers Around The Resort Keeping Everything Tip Top! Twice During Our Holiday We Had To Dial “0” Down To Reception; We’d Locked Ourselves Out Of Our Safe On One Occasion And The Other Time It Turned Out The Batteries’ Needed Replacing In The TV’s Remote Control; I’m Not Joking When I Say We Must Have Put The Phone Down To Reception And Minutes’ Later There Was Someone Turning Up To Fix The Problem! They Have Various Activities’ Going On During The Day; Run By The Animation Staff – From Aqua Gym, Stretching, Archery, Table Tennis And Much Much More. The Animation Team Were Great, Very Hard Working, Fun & A Great Laugh; And If You Didn’t Want To Take Part They Would Accept That And Let You Carry On Relaxing.
I Would Most Defiantly Recommend This Hotel; For The Money & Being An All Inclusive In A Third World Country It’s Fantastic. We Couldn’t Fault It In The Slightest.. Well Done Riu Palace Macao And Thank You!
TIP: Our Travel Agent Said To Take Dominican Pesos And US Dollars; Don’t Bother With The Pesos; Everything Is Priced In US Dollars! We Had Fantastic Weather During Our Stay… So Would Most Defiantly Recommend Travelling To The Dominican At That Time Of Year.

21  Thank CharleyVictoria
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for three weeks Nov/Dec 2012. Food is up to the normal Riu Palace standard, so much so that we only used a few of the speciality restaurants as the buffet was so good. The Krystal was excellent and the Steakhouse good too although the smoking policy spoiled the experience for us a bit. (Smoking IS allowed in the Steakhouse and you can end up siiting by or in the path of someone who lights up between every course).
The rooms are really nice and light and airy after the refurb as is the rest of the hotel. The cafe is brilliant, serving speciality coffees, lovely little cakes and sandwiches throughout the day.
The beach is great with no shortage of sunbeds and plenty of palm trees for shade although no umbrellas. The pool area is very nice and spacious but too noisy for us with all the games and music throughout the day.
Our only gripe about this hotel is it's smoking policy. Not all restaurants are non smoking. All the bars except the indoor one are smoking which means if you want to have a drink outside in the day or evening you're more than likely to be gassed by smokers! Other than that we had a great time and have booked for next year.

13  Thank PrestonSam
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We booked the Macao because it was smaller in nature and because it was adults only. We stayed from January 1, 2013 until January 8, 2013. Let me express that my wife and I are very happy and easy going people. Therefore our review is very positive and we found very little or no fault in this resort.
We flew Sunwing out of Kitchener and were a little late departing. We did not arrive in Punta Cana until 10:45pm. Once we left the plane we were greeted by many people who were willing to help us carry our bags to our bus. We respectfully declined all the offers and were able to make it to our bus without any aid. The bus ride was very quick, as at that time of night there was very little traffic.
We arrived at the Macao, and immediately were able to check in without any wait. Probably as there were only 2 other couples checking in at the same time as us. Before we left I emailed the resort and asked for a quiet room with a view as it was our honeymoon. We paid for a Superior Room, and were granted this. Our room was beautiful. It had a large King Size bed, and a separate bathroom door. There was no bathtub, but a very large walk in shower with two separate shower heads. One was a rain shower head that was divine to stand under. The wall in the shower was beveled glass, and if you looked hard enough through it you could see someone standing in the shower. I actually enjoyed the view of my wife while she showered. The bathroom had two sinks and a large counter. There was a large magnifying mirror for the woman to help put on their makeup. There also was a hair dryer that worked very well.
In the room was a safe located in the closet. You are able to set your own password and it is very easy to use. In the safe we kept all our valuables, including a 15 inch lap top and a full size Nikon Camera. It held a lot so don’t worry. I will try to post a picture of it. There was also a flat screen TV with quite a few English channels. Including the NFL Network. Also in the room was a bar fridge stocked with water, pop and beer. It was restocked daily, and at one point I counted 4 large bottles of water and 7 beers in my fridge. We never ran out of either. The liquor dispenser in the room was a nice touch, but we didn’t use it except to have a quick shooter of rum.
Our room was centrally located, Room 3251. It overlooked the pool, and the beach. It was absolutely the best view as we were just below the tops of the Palm Trees, and could see the Ocean. Those on the floor above may not have been able to see the ocean. As I requested a room with a view. I emailed the hotel and was able to communicate with Dasha who is the Assistant Manager of the hotel. She said that she would try her best and she did. Thank You Dasha. The view was amazing and out of this world. We spent a lot of time on our patio, in the morning with our coffee’s, in the late afternoon after spending time lazing at the pool or the beach, and late in the evening before we slept. Not only was the view amazing, we also slept every night with the patio door wide open and had the breeze and the sound of the ocean to fall asleep to. In fact, we didn’t use the air conditioner one time. The fan above the bed and the breeze off the ocean made for perfect sleeping conditions.

Every day our room was cleaned. Yes one day we waited until 4:30pm to have it cleaned but so what. We always tipped the maid as she did a fantastic job. Twice she made us beautiful arts with the towels, and even did something kool with the sheers. I will try to include pictures. The maids were always smiling and very happy to answer any questions. My wife felt very bad for them because they worked long long hours. She had great conversations with them about their children. On the day we left early in the morning, we watched the maids walk down the long road to the Macao laughing and singing. I watched them handpick the flowers that they put in their towel art. It gave me a much better appreciation of them. We decided we did not need turn down service so only had it the first night and I don’t understand the purpose of it.
The Pool: The pool was large and clean. The temperature of the pool was cooler in the morning but then warmed up significantly as the day went on. When I say cooler I don’t mean cold just a little cooler in the morning. It was very clean and I saw a pool staff checking the chlorine levels a couple of times per day. There is another separate pool that has the swim up bar. We didn’t use this more than once as it was dominated by the younger 20 something crowd. We stayed at the main pool or the beach. The beach was beautiful. Lots of shade. Lots of Palm trees. If you wanted sun you could get it, if you wanted shade you could get that too. No need to go out to put towels on chairs at the beach as you would always find a place to lie no matter if you wanted shade or sun. So many people did the mad dash in the morning to get seats at the pool, but honestly my wife and I did not do this and were always able to find spots in the sun or in the shade around the pool.
Pool Bar Service: What a difference when you stay at a Riu Palace. You get service by the pool, and you never have to get up and go to the bar. For 5 days we had the same waiter. His name was Bermudez. This guy was absolutely a real gentleman. We tipped him kindly every day and he in kind treated us royally. However, we saw him treat the others who didn’t tip the exact same way. We even got to see pictures of his two young children. Before he left on the 5th day we gave him something for his children and he was very appreciative. Bermudez I hope you read this because “you rock”!!! Like most of the staff, Bermudez spends 11 to 12 days at a time away from his family to support them. There was no service on the beach but that was ok. Instead we found a bar to the right if you were looking out at the ocean. This bar I think was part of the Bavaro, but we used it for drinks anyways, and no one once asked where we were staying.. as the drinks were all free.

Food: We had no complaints. We are not picky eaters. We visited the Krystal and the Steak House and enjoyed both and found the service to be extraordinary at both. The buffet had so many choices and we loved a lot of them. You will not go hungry here even if you are picky. We ate outside and enjoyed the ambiance every night we ate at the buffet.
Drinks: Presidente beer was quite good. The mixed drinks were all very good too and believe me, we drank a lot. I do recommend taking a bubba keg as they kept our drinks very cold. At other Riu’s we stayed at which were not Palaces’ the wine was not drinkable. Here the wines were quite good, and my wife enjoyed them.
Overall, we loved the atmosphere of the Macao. This is a much smaller resort that had it all except the large crowds. The beach though is very big and not crowded. If you wanted to participate in activities you wouldn’t be disappointed. We saw cooking lessons, archery, aerobics, dance lessons, pool games, Spanish lessons ect. This resort caters to all ages except children under the age of 18. Whether you’re young or old you will always find something you like. We wanted to have a peaceful time enjoying our honeymoon and we had it.
Thanks again Riu Palace Macao for making our honeymoon special. We definitely will be back next year and are counting the days!!

Room Tip: We had room 3251. Faced the pool and the ocean. It was very quiet and very peaceful. The view was...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
17  Thank Gemccart
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Hi Guys. The Domincan Republic is one of the most idylic places i have ever been, i was overwhelmed and fell in love with its beauty/ people from the first minute. The hotel is amazing from you entering reception you are made to feel really special. We spent Christmas and New year here and it was fantastic!
Rooms are really clean and spacious, and if you are lucky enough to get a suite, they are amazing. They are cleaned every day and the maids are lovely.
The hotel is very modern and offers lots of varieties of food. There are different restaurants that you can book into also. The staff are really pleasant and helpful, and will even ask you to marry them if your lucky!!
The pool area is amazing! you can choose to lay out and relax, or join the fun with the entertainment team and play all the games like i did!! i was the official champion at horse shoes!!
The entertainment team are fantastic and i will miss them so much they really helped make the holiday special.
To be honest i will never go any where else in the world again - this is the place for me forever!!!!!
I highly recommend if you love the Adults only pleasure of an holiday.
If you prefer a variety you can also go to the hotel Bamboo next door where you can use the all inclusive service also. The dance team are amazing at the Bamboo and put on a great show. If you do go please say hi to .. Janet. Alex, Junior for us please!! oh yes and Chris Rock!!
Beware smokers!!! there was a lady from Canada who was very rude to me and other smokers because apparently we were smoking near a non smoker. To put things straight and not to put smokers and non smokers off going, we were smoking outside and not even near her. I myself am very polite around non smokers and moved away if people did not smoke. She seemed veryrude and abrupt and said that it was illegal to smoke near non smokers. There is plenty of room at the hotel for people to not be near anyone that smokes. so please dont be put off!!
All in all 10/10 for the whole package!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank maggiethesmoker
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stayed here last year and really liked it!

The food was yummy, the room was nice, and the beach...GORGEOUS, and amazing you could walk, walk, and walk.

One of the other things I have liked is that since it's smaller compared to the palace's nearby your room gets cleaned faster, when I stayed there it was always cleaned by noon compared to Palace Punta Cana where it was cleaned late barely past 5 or 6PM.

Reception was also really nice, helpful, and tried to solve any problems I may have had.

Only thing I did not like is that when they clean they keep the doors open, so mosquitoes end up flying into the room.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family