Firstly, looking at some of the older reviews this hotel has clearly massively benefitted from a major refurnishment this year. It is now really very good. We stayed at the end of September 2012 in a standard double room.
So to begin with, the rooms themselves are excellent. They're very clean and comfortable. Beds are turned down at night and fresh towels delivered twice a day. The mini bar is also well stocked. Depending where you are it can be a bit of a walk down to reception and the restaurents etc but that's not a major issue. I'm sure if it was you could be moved with little hassle. One thing I would say is that it is very well worth paying the extra U.S $ for the unlimited Wi-Fi access around the entire hotel. ($50 for 10 days.) I made several business calls via Skype from poolside back to the U.K. with perfect clarity.
The staff are very helpful and the Thomson Rep 'J.C.' was fantastic. We did have a gripe about noisy children having expected it to be adults only but this was dealt with by Thomson extremely well. As it turned out, the adults only theme did not start until 01/11/12 and this wasn't advertised correctly by Thomson. Their apology and compensation was pleasantly surprising. You would regularly see Hotel management striding around keeping an eye on proceedings which was very reassuring. It did feel like the place was very well run.
The quality and variety of food was excellent across all of the restaurants. The pool area was also excellent. The pool bar staff were very good at coming around and taking drinks orders all day long. The entertainment also tried hard to keep everyone motivated adn were a decent bunch. The whole place was very clean and staff were clearly very adept at making sure the guest areas stayed spotless. The beach itself was right by the hotel and was fabulous. We were really lucky with the weather which helped greatly with the only real rain storms in the middle of the night.
All in all this was a great holiday. I wanted a total chill out, relaxing holiday and had no idea what to expect but was really surprised by how good it was. The value for money was excellent, the facilities great, the quality of food and lodging fantastic. If I could change just one thing it would be that I would have booked earlier and paid for the upgraded Premier cabin seats on the Thomson flight to have more leg room etc.
I would recomend the Dominican and I would thoroughly recommend this hotel. Pick your times carefully for the weather and you will have a great time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on Arena Gorda Beach in Punta Cana. * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach. * Within the Riu Resort, along with the Riu Palace Punta Cana, Riu Palace Bavaro, Riu Naiboa and the ClubHotel Riu Bambu. * The Splash Water World will be opened from 1st November 2016 * 3-storey building. Colonial style architecture. * Surrounded by 30,000 m2 / 36,000 sq. yards of palm groves alongside the beach. 50 km / 31 miles from Higey. 200 m / 660 ft. from Caribbean Street. 30 km / 19 miles from Punta Cana Int'l. Airport. * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Despegar.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Jetsetter, Priceline, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Macao reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Macao Hotel Punta Cana
- Riu Palace Macao Punta Cana
- Riu Palace Punta Cana
- Rui Palace Punta Cana