“Easter Week Trip”

Ranked #76 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
Riverview, Michigan
“Easter Week Trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

I don't know why so many people gave bad reviews of Bambu! We have stayed at the Riu Ocho Rios in Jamaica and yes, that was nicer but Bambu was still nice. I'm sure its not the top resort in Punta Cana but all we wanted was a decent place to stay with a nice pool/beach and good food. I do recommend upgrading to a deluxe room, however. They are newer and more modern. The other rooms have two twin beds pushed together to make a king.

Contrary to many reviews, the food was actually pretty good. We ate at the steakhouse, the Italian and the Mexican twice. The Mexican was so good! I did have a hard time finding something I liked for lunch but I am not a big lunch person anyway.

The entertainment staff was super fun. We did aerobics and stretching with them on the beach. We blistered our feet from that so I recommend wearing shoes! The service staff did not seem to be too friendly. In Jamaica, everyone was so happy and ready to serve you. This was not the case here but it did not ruin our trip by any means.

The only fault in my opinion was the drinks. The vodka did not taste like vodka and many mixed drinks were very sugary. We stuck to the pina coladas (but too many will upset your stomach), rum and coke, and the "Victor Special". If Victor is there, you have to get it. Also, Mamajuana shots are dangerous but you have to try them!

In general, Punta Cana has the prettiest beach I've ever seen. The sand is so soft and the water is clean. There is a nice breeze so it doesn't feel too hot. Apply lots of sunscreen! We had so much fun and would love to return to Punta Cana!

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade to a deluxe room
5 Thank Tanyav6

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (883)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Croydon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

The hotel itself is good and you get what you pay for with standard rooms and facilities are very good. The riu resorts are all situated together and I would say this is the budget of the riu hotels. This is evident from how busy it is compared to the others and it's full of kids and also just rude travellers in general! The staff were friendly, food there is always something to eat at the main restaurants for all meals, drinks they have good selection and the workers and entertainment staff do work hard. Location very good and beach stunning and pool area very nice.
The bad points...
The first is that I had my flip flops stolen from under my sun lounger whilst I had literally just walked over to the beach which was a few metres from where I was at the pool. I believe it was the foreign lady sitting next to me as she was making a quick exit as I returned but could not see them with her and couldn't then accuse. I asked at reception and the pool hut later on to see if handed in but nothing, staff were not bothered by this. Do not leave any valuables in your bag and leave unattended!
Secondly, the pool was not cleaned, it looks very nice from a distance but when actually in it, the pool is not that clean and has a lot of dead wasps and strands of hair floating in it. They close the pool at 6 to clean the pool not sure exactly what cleaning they do.
Thirdly, the restaurants that require booking, do not waste your time. We call it the not so Mexican Mexican and not so Italian Italian. The restaurants did not offer food from the countries or any of the dishes you would expect, the Italian offered beef steak, chicken breast or fish!
Overall good holiday but a few niggles especially that some random is walking around in my flip flops!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jen1984sep
Monroe, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

We stay at superior resorts all the time and know what one is, Apple Vacations, had the nerve rating this resort 5 apple!!!!! The 5 apple square deal is nothing but a bait and switch program! We travel twice a year and will never use Apple again! The RIU Bambu was dirty, shoddy at best and for the first 3 days of our Anniversary vacation we had to stay in a room with no air conditioning! I have pictures of the stains on the drapes and holes in the bath towels as well as the "white deposits" on our bed spread! The rooms are musty and not well maintained! The resort obviously had a sewer problem as they were always pumping it out! The sight and smell of sewer is never pleasing on the way to meals as well as intermittent times of the day. The pool was not maintained well, the bar area has no bar stools to sit and and the bartenders are not so quick to serve. There were dirty glasses to drink out of and an odor by the bar. On two different occasions in each buffet, I saw roaches crawling on the buffet counter...GROSS!! The food was mediocre at best! The only good part of this resort is the beach but lets be honest, all of the beach line is gorgeous. If you didn't reserve a chair at the pool by 7;30am, you didn't get one! I am very upset that Apple vacations ruined our Anniversary vacation. I feel that they were intentionally deceptive with selling this resort as first class in any kind of way! Their website says they base their apple ratings "Soley on the feedback of their clients"...NOT TRUE! 2779 people cumulatively rated this resort 3 1/4 apple, 2779 people is a fair assessment, don't you think? Apple doesn't think so because they continue to sell this as a 5 apple resort, ITS NOT FIVE APPLE! I will post my pictures and video all over the internet in hopes that I save someone else from spending their hard earned money on this resort! If you'd like to hear more of our lousy experience with Apple, feel free to contact me. Stop taking advantage of people Apple Vacations!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
2 Thank lori g

Travelers are raving about these Punta Cana hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

Lovely beach but wasn't very safe, my husband and I found a few glasses left and even buried in sand while our stay at riu bambu, (inconsiderate guests not thinking of others safety)
One day I ended kicking a glass in my bare feet, luckily it did not break and I was not hurt, but it could easily have gone the other way and be badly injured.
We complained to reception and the holiday rep but nothing was done about it.
The beaches are not checked by staff regular as they say they are !!
Apart from that we had a lovely holiday

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sunqueen63
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

Recently my boyfriend and I stayed at the Riu Bambu. With the package we got someone was ready for us at the airport and brought us right to the resort. Once to the resort the front desk workers were helpful and ready with all hotel information. The rooms were very clean. They include free mini bar, that has beer soda and bottled water, T.V with channels for all languages, two double or one king sized bed, table eating area, full bath complete with hair drier, a safe, and a nice balcony with chairs.
Another nice thing about the hotel is that there are no hidden charges like some places. The dinning and drinks are free, and you get towel cards your first day to trade in for new pool/ beach towels daily.
The beach is amazing and seems endless. There walk through some spaced out palms trees onto a clear sand beach. The water is beautiful blue. The have beach loungers everywhere for guests to use. Many people have complained on here about things being stolen. We have no problems leaving things on the beach by our chairs and in the room we put most things in the safe but if forgot anything it was still their when we returned.
The staff was very friendly and helpful throughout the hotel. From the bus boys to the hotel entertainment staff. They also work extremely hard to ensure everyone is having a good time! I would very much recommend staying at this hotel. For the price and what it includes, it is really a great deal!!!

3 Thank Katied33
Frome, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

Our first week was good decided to go on boat trip2nd week but it all went wrong from there got on the boat the floor was wet and I slipped and broke my ankle I then spent 7days in hospital which was a shame the reps at the resort were very good and done a very good job of making sure we were ok

1 Thank Jackie T
Caldwell, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

Thank god we got upgraded to a newer room. The old rooms could use a bit of updating. new rooms are nicer. Grounds of resort are very nice. Beach is top notch. The staff were very friendly.
As far as the food, they could do a better job with it. Breakfast was ok as long as you kept it simple. Lunch was pretty bad. Pizza wasn't cooked, otherwise it wouldn't have been that bad. couldn't get a decent burger or hot dog, let alone some normal food. Bar drinks were watered down and mixes were extremely sweet. Plus the pool bartenders were the worst in the resort. even when you tipped them, they still did not pay attention to u. And not many people were tipping.. Overall, in the end, you get what you pay for. This place is not that expensive. But just
average overall. Oh, forget to mention the reservation BS. They say they are full all the time and then you go to the restaurants and they are only half full. I guess it costs them a lot less to have u just go to the buffet. but I could only take 1 night of the buffet. Simply horrible. But when you come from the tri state area, you enjoy good food. Not the case at this resort. Overall, would not go back. would pay more for better resort, but would be afraid that food would not be that different. We did make the best of it and had a good time. We just laughed a lot about the food and drinks.

Room Tip: 3 stories suitets are newer or upgraded.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family