“Where does one start!”

ClubHotel Riu Bambu
Ranked #75 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I will never stay at a Riu property again! Just got back today from a 5 day stay and I probably lost about 10 lbs for not eating the terrible selection of food. Cheese and ham all day sitting in the heat. And 24 hour food means 24 hours food is available. Not 24 hours from the hours of 7-10 for breakfast. We had to beg the chef at Mamajuana to make pancakes because we did not eat yet. Also modernize your lock and key system to card keys and get rid of that nonsense hard keys for the room. Update your TVs to flat screens And don't charge me $10 for an additional key. Really! Customer service was horrible! Our tub got stopped up everytime we took a shower! And we came back from all day at the pool to find our room not cleaned yet. Really! No one told us about making reservations for dinner. Who wants to get up before 10am on your vacation. Let me quality this by saying that I have stayed many hotels in my day and all types of quality (Ritz to Comfort Inn) and I found that this was my worst experience...ever! Let me say again I am never going back to Riu property!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel completely!
3  Thank JoAnn B
Write a ReviewReviews (5,894)

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Nice place, food was okay. Music and swim up bar was really neat.
Live shows every night and outside shopping along the beach within walking
Distance. Maybe a mile or two.
Beds SUCKED! Very hard and just not comfortable. Rooms were not the best but were OK.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FunTravelers0518
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel, very nice and friendly staff, location Excellent, the beach fantastic,clean and plenty of sun beds and shade if needed.... paradise.large rooms nice but a little dated, overall great holiday .

• Stayed: May 2013
4  Thank kjacquett
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Could not fault this hotel, staff were excellent food was great entertainment was sound would deffo go again, facilites were great range of activeities was brilliant beach was outstanding clean water lovely & always warm

Room Tip: All rooms set out good we had 1 quite away from the main area reception but this was not a problem a...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank redsim
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Whether or not to go to this hotel goes to the food. We read many reviews indicating the food was barely OK, bad, and even terrible. I've been to Punta Cana three times prior this summer to a different hotel –Palladium- and there the food was not excellent but definitively good.

At Riu Bambu you find some bad-taste food, cheap chess, fake ham, rancid walnuts, OK bread, and the list goes… At the main restaurant there are three coffee machines and at least one (a times two) is out-of service. The Hotel has four other restaurants that you must reserve in advance. The reservation is 7-10 am with a 20-40min line where one person will give you two tickets (is you are lucky) to one or two restaurants. There is an Asian (this is probably the “terrible”), the Mexican (had the ticket, but checked the food (uninspired) and went to the main restaurant instead. There is a steak-house, I gave up after 45min waiting, went to the main restaurant, ate, returned and my family was still waiting for the food. It arrived almost after 1 ½ hours and the beef (they said) was OK, the rest “real bad.” There is also an Italian for which we had the 9pm ticket, went at 8:15pm to “investigate” the food and the waiter said the people that were seated were the 7pm group. We escaped to the main restaurant and tabled the other restaurants for good.

Now, you are reading this review and may say: do I believe this guy? I’ve asked the same question before going, called Applevacations and the lady said “people that are happy don’t post reviews, bad reviews come from unhappy ones...” And continued: “I was there last month (or year, can’t remember) and it was great.” So we went. The beach is good, the hotel is OK, and food is bad without salvation.

A note about the beach: it’s great but you won’t find peace, there is a noisy morning with a yoga class with relatively soft music, then the aerobics with loud music followed by the merengue and bachata dance class, real loud. Two hours of loud music or noise, your pick.

For families with children it may be OK (but remember the food). For couples it’s a NO-NO.

The Riu Bambu is rated as 5-apples hotel. How many apples is one star?

3  Thank Oscar Z
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I wasn't going to write a review however having come back from the Riu Bambu 2 weeks ago, and reading peoples unfair and inaccurate reviews I only thought it would only be fair to write one myself.

Firstly, the food - great selection, everything was fresh, such a wide selection of meats and fish along with vegetables and sauces. Yes there was some items on the buffet which appeared more than once but whats the problem with that? There was always new things to mix and match and even if you stayed for over 2 weeks I think u still wouldn't have enough time to try everything that was on offer. I must say it was so refreshing to have a good selection of fresh and healthy food everyday. Oh and the puddings, well they were amazing. We had 3 or 4 on our plate every evening!!

The poolside - Yes during the day the poolside did tend to reach capacity but at no point do you feel it is over crowded. There is such a great friendly atmosphere with music and activities going on throughout the day. Water polo, pool bbq's, dance lessons and games were all a daily occurance and there was always quite time mid afternoon for those that fancy a snooze on the sun lounger and to concentrate on that tan. As you can expect with any swimup bar, you do get a lot of people using it, but you never have to wait long for a drink and the staff are great despite not speaking much english. The language barrier was never a problem for us. We speak no spanish whatsoever but had no communication issues.

The rooms - VERY clean, new sheets and towels every day. We were on the ground floor and have no ants or bugs at all? Not sure I even saw any ants at all ...just the odd crab and lizard but totally harmless.

Entertainment - agreed its not fantastic but the majority of days you saw local dance shows which were good. The michael jackson show is probably the best act, everyone will love that. It also starts kinda late (around 10pm) so would recommend maybe going for dinner about 8pm so your not hanging around too much.

Wifi is OK, again its not brilliant but does the job. Don't forget you have lots of people using it in the same area all at one time.

People who say this is far from a 5* ...well im sorry but I disagree ...fantastic resort, clean, great staff, amazing beach, fab food!!

Ignore the haters and have a great time :)

16  Thank Leon H
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Sadly this was a little of a let down and I can only re-iterate what others have already said. The hotel was a huge disappointment for us as we (as everyone else appears to have been) were mislead into thinking this a luxury hotel. I fear this hotel is being sold to the british by Thomson as a 4 star but the rest of the world is given a cheap deal to go. While me, my partner and son were there, there was a kids Peurto Rican baseball team there. I'm guessing that they weren't given the luxurious hotel sales story we were.

My main issue was with the food. My 4 year old son refused to eat anything other than chips or bread and butter. I wish I'd taken his lead on that, as I spent the last 10 days of my holiday not daring to stray too far from the bathroom. With a selection of foods, of which, most are not labelled and the rest are wrong and the quality was awful. I'm far from a picky eater, but I don't like fish so any white meat was a lottery as it was all overcooked and looked the same.

I found that some of the criticisms have been harsh though. The rooms (although not 4/5 star) are not that bad, its what you'd expect in a 2/3 star greek or spanish holiday that we all see. Personally, I never noticed that the room was poor, my partner pointed out that it was meant to be 4 star platinum at which point I felt let down.

Most of the staff cannot speak english, but if you can get your point across, they will help you as much as they can. The ones who can speak English are lovely and do anything to help, though I do feel it was them playing for a tip, but then as long as they aren't begging and doing something proactively to justify one I am happy with that.

The atmosphere of the hotel was not one of a family holiday. The main pool was constantly surrounded by people smoking and drinking all day, with a constant film of an unknown substance on the water. The worst part was the constant fear that our belongings were going to be stolen. Its a family holiday and we felt like we couldn't bring the camera out of the room. We got this impression on the first day, long before the reps had informed us that the hotel takes no responsibility for anything stolen.

The beds were poor as well. As a family of 3 we were given a small room with 2 3/4 beds. We had 2 cleaners, in the 1st week she was great. The 2nd week we were given a new cleaner and she was useless. We had sand on the floor for the entire 2nd week proving that she never cleaned it. The general cleanliness of the hotel was ok though.

In all, I think our main complaint is that the hotel was sold to us as a 4+ star platinum hotel, which it is not even close to. If it is a genuine 4 star hotel, its on a technicality as apposed to standards.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade before you enter your room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family